Frank's Statement

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Sl7vk

Re: Frank's Statement

Post by Sl7vk » December 14th, 2020, 8:44 pm

^^^^
Not sure if you were aware, but Frank is of Polynesian decent.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 14th, 2020, 10:13 pm

brownjeans wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:50 am
3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:25 am
brownjeans wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:20 am
3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:04 am
brownjeans wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:03 am
3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 10:57 am
Frank made several times my yearly salary last year and I'm white. I'm not sure I understand how that happened with race being such a major factor in hiring in this country.
Take a look around the D1 football landscape. How many minority head coaches do you see? Considering how many minorities have been playing football for the past several decades (since they were allowed to play with white people), do you think the numbers align?
Probably not, although it's getting better and I hope to see that trend continue. What does that have to do with Frank not being hired?
It seems that it's harder for minorities to get opportunities that build their resumes. I think Frank turned down a lot of opportunities that would have helped him build his, so I don't know that it has anything to do with him specifically. To the players, this isn't just about Frank.
Right, it's about an already-put-to-bed incident with a trainer as well. There are posts on this board that explain what happened with that incident and why the outside party investigating it determined there was no need for further concern. Included in those posts is the assertion that the alleged "victim" did not have a problem with the trainer.

That already-put-to-bed incident with a trainer was used to cast the entire program/university in unsavory light in an attempt to strengthen their currently evidence-less accusation.

Unless you think there is a culture of discrimination within the football program at Utah State, their argument doesn't hold water outside of whether or not Noelle Cockett said racially and religiously bigoted things.

I'll add (again), if Noelle Cockett said racially and religiously bigoted things, I look forward to her resignation. If she didn't, then I hope she continues to apologize for saying something the players THOUGHT was racially or religiously bigoted, but we shouldn't fire people (or pay out civil rights settlements) because someone got their feelings hurt due to an out-of-context statement or misunderstanding.
No, man. It's not about specific incidents. Specific incidents may trigger what we're seeing, but what we're seeing is bigger than that.
It's about broad cultural discrimination that minorities experience throughout their life. It's about how discrimination is a preoccupation of their thoughts.
I'm a white guy, I can't relate. I know I can't relate. I never think about being discriminated against. Ever. I know that for minorities, discrimination is real and affects the way they perceive the world around them. I don't know what was said, but whatever it was triggered their sense of outrage for things much larger than Frank or USU or any SPECIFIC thing. It's about the minority players knowing discrimination is real, feeling sensitive to discrimination, and all of us non-minorities being insensitive to to discrimination (at times acerbically insensitive).
Pretentious.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 14th, 2020, 11:37 pm

USU78 wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 10:13 pm
brownjeans wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:50 am
3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:25 am
brownjeans wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:20 am
3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:04 am
brownjeans wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:03 am
3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 10:57 am
Frank made several times my yearly salary last year and I'm white. I'm not sure I understand how that happened with race being such a major factor in hiring in this country.
Take a look around the D1 football landscape. How many minority head coaches do you see? Considering how many minorities have been playing football for the past several decades (since they were allowed to play with white people), do you think the numbers align?
Probably not, although it's getting better and I hope to see that trend continue. What does that have to do with Frank not being hired?
It seems that it's harder for minorities to get opportunities that build their resumes. I think Frank turned down a lot of opportunities that would have helped him build his, so I don't know that it has anything to do with him specifically. To the players, this isn't just about Frank.
Right, it's about an already-put-to-bed incident with a trainer as well. There are posts on this board that explain what happened with that incident and why the outside party investigating it determined there was no need for further concern. Included in those posts is the assertion that the alleged "victim" did not have a problem with the trainer.

That already-put-to-bed incident with a trainer was used to cast the entire program/university in unsavory light in an attempt to strengthen their currently evidence-less accusation.

Unless you think there is a culture of discrimination within the football program at Utah State, their argument doesn't hold water outside of whether or not Noelle Cockett said racially and religiously bigoted things.

I'll add (again), if Noelle Cockett said racially and religiously bigoted things, I look forward to her resignation. If she didn't, then I hope she continues to apologize for saying something the players THOUGHT was racially or religiously bigoted, but we shouldn't fire people (or pay out civil rights settlements) because someone got their feelings hurt due to an out-of-context statement or misunderstanding.
No, man. It's not about specific incidents. Specific incidents may trigger what we're seeing, but what we're seeing is bigger than that.
It's about broad cultural discrimination that minorities experience throughout their life. It's about how discrimination is a preoccupation of their thoughts.
I'm a white guy, I can't relate. I know I can't relate. I never think about being discriminated against. Ever. I know that for minorities, discrimination is real and affects the way they perceive the world around them. I don't know what was said, but whatever it was triggered their sense of outrage for things much larger than Frank or USU or any SPECIFIC thing. It's about the minority players knowing discrimination is real, feeling sensitive to discrimination, and all of us non-minorities being insensitive to to discrimination (at times acerbically insensitive).
Pretentious.
Uh, huh.

AGNUMPI

Post by AGNUMPI » December 15th, 2020, 7:51 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 2:22 pm
TrueAG wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 2:19 pm
This is what happens when you give false hope to unqualified individuals. They become entitled.
Which on top of the bigotry, would be an extremely stupid reason for her to say what she alleged to have said. Maile should never have been in consideration for the job. He isn't a good coach. His ethnicity or religion should never have come up.
Allegedly the players are the ones that brought it up. I assume that religion and background were downplayed as a factor in the coaching search, which would be the correct response, and the players interpreted it as saying he didn't get the job because of his religion and background. I have these assumptions because I've seen similar things happen before. I may be incorrect, but I would be shocked if the leader of anything said that someone didn't get a job/position because of either of these factors. Shocked not because it is so bad for them to say (it is bad, but if they did they are going to get fired and justice will be served) but shocked because it would be friggin' idiotic to say. I don't believe that there is any way that what the players say they heard was what was actually said.

I really hope that somehow Zoom has a recording of this meeting, even though none of the people in the meeting were recording it. If Cockett really said what is alleged then she needs to go, but if not there needs to be serious consequences for the accusers. I don't think either of those things happen without hard evidence. This he said she said business is going to hurt the University and Football program and not really do anything to either of the parties involved.
These users thanked the author AGNUMPI for the post (total 2):
JSHarveyUSU78

"Be there. Get crazy. Go Aggies!" - Matt 'Fafner' Sonnenberg

AGNUMPI

Post by AGNUMPI » December 15th, 2020, 8:00 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 8:32 pm
I have no idea what Cockett is saying/trying to say if the words attributed to her are accurate:

“What do we say to outside people who ask us about hiring an LDS person from Utah? We tried that, and it didn’t work."

Who are the “outside people” referenced that she would have to be telling this to? Who is the person that “didn’t work?”

Was she on NyQuil? This is just gibberish without context. I am not even sure context would help.

Also, where’s the reference to polynesians? A racial component would be much more problematic (with due respect to my mormon brethren on here).
I don't have time to follow all of this, so I don't know where this came from. But if this is all that there was I'm very disappointed in whoever started this whole mess. That doesn't say that he's not being hired because he is LDS, it says that it is not taking his LDS roots into consideration. If there is a similar statement related to his poly background then that would similarly say that his poly background isn't being taken into consideration. Which is definitely not discrimination. If these statements are all that is being worked up about this is friggin' messed up. I'll wait to see how this plays out.

"Be there. Get crazy. Go Aggies!" - Matt 'Fafner' Sonnenberg

Locked Previous topicNext topic