What Frank should have said Friday evening

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
USUaggie

What Frank should have said Friday evening

Post by USUaggie » December 13th, 2020, 3:36 pm

I love and support my football players and this university. I appreciate my players enthusiastic support for me to be the next head coach. I was proud to be one of the finalists but acknowledge that coach Blake Anderson is more qualified at this time. I believe that there was some misunderstanding in the players meeting with John Hartwell and president Cockett. I believe the president understands that the missionary program and my membership in that religion and me being Polynesian with the Polynesian recruiting emphasis were a plus in my qualifications, but not withstanding I was not selected. I don’t know exactly what was said by President Cockett, but even if she did miss speak in her wording I don’t think that her intent was to say that the Church or my Polynesian heritage was a reason I was not selected coach at this time.

I wish coach Blake Anderson and my former player the best! I will continue in my career as a football coach wherever that will take me, and I hope one day to be the most qualified applicant to be the football coach at Utah State University.
These users thanked the author USUaggie for the post (total 4):
GaAggieJSHarveyRoy McAvoyPIGSKINAGGIE

2004AG

Re: What Frank should have said Friday evening

Post by 2004AG » December 13th, 2020, 3:37 pm

USUaggie wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 3:36 pm
I love and support my football players and this university. I appreciate my players enthusiastic support for me to be the next head coach. I was proud to be one of the finalists but acknowledge that coach Blake Anderson is more qualified at this time. I believe that there was some misunderstanding in the players meeting with John Hartwell and president Cockett. I believe the president understands that the missionary program and my membership in that religion and me being Polynesian with the Polynesian recruiting emphasis were a plus in my qualifications, but not withstanding I was not selected. I don’t know exactly what was said by President Cockett, but even if she did miss speak in her wording I don’t think that her intent was to say that the Church or my Polynesian heritage was a reason I was not selected coach at this time.

I wish coach Blake Anderson and my former player the best! I will continue in my career as a football coach wherever that will take me, and I hope one day to be the most qualified applicant to be the football coach at Utah State University.
That's what a true blue aggie through and through would say. Frank is not.

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » December 13th, 2020, 3:38 pm

USUaggie wrote:

Very well said.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 13th, 2020, 3:52 pm

That would have been better, but I would add one change:
USUaggie wrote:
I love and support my football players and this university. I appreciate my players enthusiastic support for me to be the next head coach. I was proud to be one of the finalists but acknowledge that coach Blake Anderson is more qualified at this time. I believe that there was some misunderstanding in the players meeting with John Hartwell and president Cockett. I believe the president understands that the missionary program and my membership in that religion and me being Polynesian with the Polynesian recruiting emphasis were a plus in my qualifications, but not withstanding I was not selected. I don’t know exactly what was said by President Cockett, but even if she did misspeak in her wording, I don’t think that her intent was to say that the Church or my Polynesian heritage was a reason I was not selected coach at this time.

As we look to the future, I hope that I myself, President Cocket, USU Football, and all those at Utah State, will continually work to expand our understanding, and empathy for diverse cultures. We can always improve in these areas. I wish coach Blake Anderson and my former players the best! I will continue in my career as a football coach wherever that will take me, and I hope one day to be the most qualified applicant to be the football coach at Utah State University.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
AGinNEIowa

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » December 13th, 2020, 3:54 pm

Not impressed by Frank Maile's comment at all. It's almost like he welcomed the self sabotage. I'm glad he is not going to be our coach and I hope he already been asked to clean out his office and turn in his keys.

tetonaggie

Post by tetonaggie » December 13th, 2020, 3:57 pm

Unless, of course, based on what he was told she said, he feels he was discriminated against on the basis of religion and race. I have a hard time with everybody trying to tell Frank how he should feel. Let this awful situation play out.
These users thanked the author tetonaggie for the post (total 3):
brownjeansAggie formerly in HawaiiPNW_Aggie

USUaggie

Post by USUaggie » December 13th, 2020, 4:20 pm

tetonaggie wrote:Unless, of course, based on what he was told she said, he feels he was discriminated against on the basis of religion and race. I have a hard time with everybody trying to tell Frank how he should feel. Let this awful situation play out.
For his own sake I still think even if he believes there may have been some discrimination he should have made a statement similar to this and then support a behind the scenes investigation. See where that leads. Don't burn down the house you love. Consider your long term career.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author USUaggie for the post (total 2):
BLUERUFiOJSHarvey

tetonaggie

Post by tetonaggie » December 13th, 2020, 4:22 pm

USUaggie wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 4:20 pm
tetonaggie wrote:Unless, of course, based on what he was told she said, he feels he was discriminated against on the basis of religion and race. I have a hard time with everybody trying to tell Frank how he should feel. Let this awful situation play out.
For his own sake I still think even if he believes there may have been some discrimination he should have made a statement similar to this and then support a behind the scenes investigation. See where that leads. Don't burn down the house you love. Consider your long term career.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
That's fair.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » December 13th, 2020, 4:23 pm

I think Frank is a true blue Aggie and this doesn't change that. I have been on both sides of things working out and getting completely dumped on in situations where you gave your heart and soul to making someplace better so I can empathize with how Frank must be feeling and that is his right.

However, Frank would indeed look much better if he had done what USUaggie suggested. I think looking back at some point he may agree. I wish him the best and am grateful for what he has done for USU. Every coaching staff needs a coach that players trust and relate with.
These users thanked the author gomretat for the post:
JSHarvey

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 13th, 2020, 4:50 pm

tetonaggie wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 3:57 pm
Unless, of course, based on what he was told she said, he feels he was discriminated against on the basis of religion and race. I have a hard time with everybody trying to tell Frank how he should feel. Let this awful situation play out.
Yep, we still don't fully know what was said. This board seems to be 95% in favor of Dr Cockett which might be the right take, but we don't fully know yet. I also think the players deserve some benefit of the doubt that they wouldn't just not play a game simply because Maile didn't get the job. Maile was never close to being the front runner for the job and the players had to have known that.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 13th, 2020, 5:23 pm

USUaggie wrote:

I think he should have just simply said that he wasn't on the call and didn't hear what was said and would await the results of the investigation that was announced by the Board of Trustees. The end.
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
BLUERUFiO

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 13th, 2020, 6:23 pm

Problem is, there is no opportunity for financial gain by releasing a statement like that.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » December 15th, 2020, 8:45 am

USUaggie wrote:

This would not only have been a true statement, it would have helped Frank's job prospects (here or elsewhere) immensely.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

RigAggie

Post by RigAggie » December 15th, 2020, 9:13 am

JSHarvey wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 8:45 am
USUaggie wrote:

This would not only have been a true statement, it would have helped Frank's job prospects (here or elsewhere) immensely.
Didn't he hire a Public Relations firm to craft the response? You would think a professional organization would know better? Unless they are crafting a lawsuit for him as well?

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 15th, 2020, 9:18 am

you are a nuts if you think this is going to hurt Frank's ability to gain employment elsewhere, he may end up at Utah.

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » December 15th, 2020, 9:25 am

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 9:18 am
you are a nuts if you think this is going to hurt Frank's ability to gain employment elsewhere, he may end up at Utah.
I also think Frank will be fine career wise.
These users thanked the author BLUERUFiO for the post:
brownjeans

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

cval

Post by cval » December 15th, 2020, 11:17 am

Kilani will hire him.

The question is how it affects his trajectory toward a Head Coaching job. That would appear to be his goal.
These users thanked the author cval for the post:
JSHarvey

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » December 15th, 2020, 12:18 pm

Head coach jobs are essential "at will" jobs. If your reputation becomes one of someone who will sabotage a program if things don't go your way I think that would seriously reduce the pool of universities willing to give you a chance.

It's the same logic that it is rarely wise to burn bridges when a job comes to an end - you don't know what the future holds, and when the reputation you build in those "bad" moments might either rescue you or doom you.

Obviously I'm not a university president, or an athletic director, so my opinion is just that - an opinion. But I can't believe Frank's statement helped his future employability. It may have helped his case in his future lawsuit by sending out "talking points" to future witnesses however.

JMO
These users thanked the author JSHarvey for the post:
Sl7vk

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

Locked Previous topicNext topic