Cockett comments from sources to channel 2.

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
User avatar
Aglicious
Site Admin
Posts: 5743
Joined: January 14th, 2004, 12:00 am
Location: Vega$
Has thanked: 354 times
Been thanked: 806 times

Re: Cockett comments from sources to channel 2.

Post by Aglicious » December 16th, 2020, 3:53 pm

ViAggie wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 2:59 pm
splintorb wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 2:58 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 2:57 pm
splintorb wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 2:56 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 2:40 pm
Henninger not coming out smelling like roses on all of this.....
What you hearing about him?
He's the one that put together the survey... survey was worded in a way that pushed the players answers in the direction he wanted. Looking more and more like the ring leader... or one of them.....
Verrrry interesting...
Verrrrry bad looking
Also makes a lot of sense. Remember he was one of the players featured in the last post game media session and was interviewed directly after coach Maile was done. He was asked about the 2020 frozen eligibility and the opportunity to return next year. He replied that his decision was "to be determined" as he looked at coach and then mumbled something about it being dependent on what is decided with the coaching staff. Sounded and looked like he was a big Maile fan and that was sort of his threat towards those in charge to give the job to Frank.



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 3829
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 128 times
Been thanked: 1267 times

Re: Cockett comments from sources to channel 2.

Post by ineptimusprime » December 16th, 2020, 4:19 pm

Ok, just no more Utes please.

I feel bad for the exceptional good eggs like Mariner, but Utes have largely ruined our program lately.

We need a “no Utes” policy.
Last edited by ineptimusprime on December 16th, 2020, 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
AggieFBObsession



User avatar
Empire of Dirt
Posts: 3326
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:57 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: Cockett comments from sources to channel 2.

Post by Empire of Dirt » December 16th, 2020, 4:21 pm

splintorb wrote:
Donman wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 2:19 pm
Donman wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 2:19 pm
Some of the comments are pretty alarming.
For example this one:

""Dr Cockett SEEMED to be INSINUATING that Coach Maile was not fit for the job because of certain aspects of his background...We were pushing and advocating for him and she had REALLY NO SOLID EXCUSE OTHER THAN HE HASN'T HAD THE WINS HE MIGHT'VE NEEDED"
How is this alarming? This is a President of the University that probably knows very little about football. How is this "that bad"?
Wtf does this even mean? She doesn't need an excuse not to hire him.

And not winning is a pretty damn good excuse.

I think the most alarming thing to me is the quality of the education these kids are getting at my beloved alma mater if this level of thought is any indication.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk



"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 3829
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 128 times
Been thanked: 1267 times

Re: Cockett comments from sources to channel 2.

Post by ineptimusprime » December 16th, 2020, 4:23 pm

Not having the wins you might’ve needed is disqualifying for a job where winning is the critical component of the job. :lol:

You don’t need any reason besides that.



Donman
Posts: 2700
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 9:49 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 88 times

Re: Cockett comments from sources to channel 2.

Post by Donman » December 16th, 2020, 4:25 pm

Empire of Dirt wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 4:21 pm
splintorb wrote:
Donman wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 2:19 pm
Donman wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 2:19 pm
Some of the comments are pretty alarming.
For example this one:

""Dr Cockett SEEMED to be INSINUATING that Coach Maile was not fit for the job because of certain aspects of his background...We were pushing and advocating for him and she had REALLY NO SOLID EXCUSE OTHER THAN HE HASN'T HAD THE WINS HE MIGHT'VE NEEDED"
How is this alarming? This is a President of the University that probably knows very little about football. How is this "that bad"?
Wtf does this even mean? She doesn't need an excuse not to hire him.

And not winning is a pretty damn good excuse.

I think the most alarming thing to me is the quality of the education these kids are getting at my beloved alma mater if this level of thought is any indication.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I should have said the comments from the player is alarming. A player who thinks winning isn't a primary factor?

No wonder we won one game.



AggieHead
Posts: 263
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 9:07 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Cockett comments from sources to channel 2.

Post by AggieHead » December 16th, 2020, 4:29 pm

IF USU has a competent HR department, and IF the AD and president followed proper hiring protocols, ie screening criteria, hiring rubrics, and documentation of how BA meets the hiring criteria, then they are going to be fine. There is a reason that proper hiring procedure is a pain in the (I can't express myself without swearing), those protocols are so that if someone claims discrimination, you have evidence to defend the decision. If hiring a football coach is a fly by the seat of your pants, informal process based on a "gut feeling" then there will be trouble. I can't imagine hiring the highest paid (or among the highest paid) and highest profile position at USU doesn't come with all of the proper hiring procedure, forms, and criteria that is required to hire a secretary.

Also, the quotes literally make no sense without context. Also, according to the graph of possible responses, there must have been like 20 options to choose from. There are some very tiny slices to that pie.
These users thanked the author AggieHead for the post:
jpswensen



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 3829
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 128 times
Been thanked: 1267 times

Re: Cockett comments from sources to channel 2.

Post by ineptimusprime » December 16th, 2020, 4:30 pm

What would have brought a lot of illumination to the poll question about playing the game would have been an option that said:

"Not play the game. I think this is all stupid, but we suck eggs and I really want to play Cyberpunk 2077 rather than lose by 30 in Fort Collins."
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
splintorbUSU78



User avatar
CaptainChaos
Posts: 980
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:58 am
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: Cockett comments from sources to channel 2.

Post by CaptainChaos » December 16th, 2020, 4:36 pm

splintorb wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 2:57 pm
splintorb wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 2:56 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 2:40 pm
Henninger not coming out smelling like roses on all of this.....
What you hearing about him?
He's the one that put together the survey... survey was worded in a way that pushed the players answers in the direction he wanted. Looking more and more like the ring leader... or one of them.....
Verrrry interesting...
Could he be in trouble for slander?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 3829
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 128 times
Been thanked: 1267 times

Re: Cockett comments from sources to channel 2.

Post by ineptimusprime » December 16th, 2020, 4:38 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 4:36 pm
splintorb wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 2:57 pm
splintorb wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 2:56 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 2:40 pm
Henninger not coming out smelling like roses on all of this.....
What you hearing about him?
He's the one that put together the survey... survey was worded in a way that pushed the players answers in the direction he wanted. Looking more and more like the ring leader... or one of them.....
Verrrry interesting...
Could he be in trouble for slander?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not likely.



stang
Posts: 834
Joined: January 25th, 2018, 5:08 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 241 times

Re: Cockett comments from sources to channel 2.

Post by stang » December 16th, 2020, 4:57 pm

I said on here back towards the start of the season that the coaching staff and many of the players were dead set on not playing football this year and were disappointed when the MW decided to have the season. At that time, people were skeptical just because they couldn't fathom the fact that football coaches and players would just rather not play.

Of course this doesn't represent the team as a whole and I'm sure there were some who were disappointed not to play CSU. But the mentality of Gary and his staff from the offseason seems to have carried through with many on the team throughout the year.



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 5261
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 545 times
Been thanked: 1082 times

Re: Cockett comments from sources to channel 2.

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 16th, 2020, 5:03 pm

stang wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 4:57 pm
I said on here back towards the start of the season that the coaching staff and many of the players were dead set on not playing football this year and were disappointed when the MW decided to have the season. At that time, people were skeptical just because they couldn't fathom the fact that football coaches and players would just rather not play.

Of course this doesn't represent the team as a whole and I'm sure there were some who were disappointed not to play CSU. But the mentality of Gary and his staff from the offseason seems to have carried through with many on the team throughout the year.
Yeah it is a bad look to not play. Had they gone out and beaten Colorado State it would have been a much better look for Maile to be the HC somewhere than what transpired.



User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 9687
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 2681 times
Been thanked: 815 times

Re: Cockett comments from sources to channel 2.

Post by USU78 » December 16th, 2020, 5:08 pm

If True, I'd like Henninger gone if I'm BA.


You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Smokin Joe
Posts: 3650
Joined: July 11th, 2011, 9:59 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 144 times

Re: Cockett comments from sources to channel 2.

Post by Smokin Joe » December 16th, 2020, 5:31 pm

Her comments are a nothing-burger if ever there was one.



Blue Sage
Posts: 583
Joined: January 28th, 2015, 6:24 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 62 times

Re: Cockett comments from sources to channel 2.

Post by Blue Sage » December 16th, 2020, 6:51 pm

I have heard from many of my LDS friends who are at the highest levels and down that there is a group of persons who are trying to get rid of LDS persons at USU. Cocketts comment adds gasoline on that fire🔥. Cockett needs to speak out against bigotry. If she isn’t willing to do that I think she should find a new university.



Smokin Joe
Posts: 3650
Joined: July 11th, 2011, 9:59 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 144 times

Re: Cockett comments from sources to channel 2.

Post by Smokin Joe » December 16th, 2020, 6:53 pm

Why does Cockett have to adopt your premise that there are people at USU who want to be rid of LDS people? What if that's not true?



User avatar
Empire of Dirt
Posts: 3326
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:57 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: Cockett comments from sources to channel 2.

Post by Empire of Dirt » December 16th, 2020, 6:54 pm

It's hard for me to imagine the level of persecution complex you'd have to have in order to think that as a Utah Mormon you were being discriminated against.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Empire of Dirt for the post (total 2):
Sl7vktjensen_25


"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

sockpuppet
Posts: 1691
Joined: January 10th, 2012, 7:49 am
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 69 times

Re: Cockett comments from sources to channel 2.

Post by sockpuppet » December 16th, 2020, 7:40 pm

Empire of Dirt wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 4:21 pm
splintorb wrote:
Donman wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 2:19 pm
Donman wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 2:19 pm
Some of the comments are pretty alarming.
For example this one:

""Dr Cockett SEEMED to be INSINUATING that Coach Maile was not fit for the job because of certain aspects of his background...We were pushing and advocating for him and she had REALLY NO SOLID EXCUSE OTHER THAN HE HASN'T HAD THE WINS HE MIGHT'VE NEEDED"
How is this alarming? This is a President of the University that probably knows very little about football. How is this "that bad"?
Wtf does this even mean? She doesn't need an excuse not to hire him.

And not winning is a pretty damn good excuse.

I think the most alarming thing to me is the quality of the education these kids are getting at my beloved alma mater if this level of thought is any indication.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Not a fair representation of USU students or the quality of education the University has to offer. We're not dealing with engineering students here, and many of them are in the early developmental phase of CTE.



User avatar
kofdog
Posts: 2310
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 10:07 am
Location: North Logan
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 73 times

Re: Cockett comments from sources to channel 2.

Post by kofdog » December 16th, 2020, 7:41 pm

What if she came to the meeting, having already hired BA and asked the players what they thought or what they wanted. Then As they spoke she replied with thoughts. Someone brings up LDS and Tongan and the quote we have is her reply. Hmm, heard this scenario today...from a decent perceptive.



User avatar
NikeRunner
Posts: 75
Joined: November 20th, 2010, 7:52 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Cockett comments from sources to channel 2.

Post by NikeRunner » December 16th, 2020, 8:09 pm

Sl7vk wrote:Henninger not coming out smelling like roses on all of this.....
Where did we hear that he put the survey together?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Elkaggie
Posts: 4231
Joined: August 26th, 2011, 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 335 times

Re: Cockett comments from sources to channel 2.

Post by Elkaggie » December 16th, 2020, 8:12 pm

kofdog wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 7:41 pm
What if she came to the meeting, having already hired BA and asked the players what they thought or what they wanted. Then As they spoke she replied with thoughts. Someone brings up LDS and Tongan and the quote we have is her reply. Hmm, heard this scenario today...from a decent perceptive.
She knew at the meeting that BA was going to be the coach.



Imakeitrain
Posts: 7939
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Has thanked: 199 times
Been thanked: 475 times

Re: Cockett comments from sources to channel 2.

Post by Imakeitrain » December 16th, 2020, 8:18 pm

Empire of Dirt wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 6:54 pm
It's hard for me to imagine the level of persecution complex you'd have to have in order to think that as a Utah Mormon you were being discriminated against.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
There are certainly individual professors who discriminate against people of the predominant religion. Students have a right to learn in an environment that isn’t hostile. It’s also fairly strong in non teaching staff.

Utah may very well be predominantly lds- but higher education is still heavily not- to put it nicely.

Although USU is less discriminatory than most, it’s still prone to biases that exist in higher education.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post (total 2):
MaverickAggieUSU78


“If at first you don’t succeed, do not try skydiving”

bpd
Posts: 1245
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 10:12 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 199 times

Re: Cockett comments from sources to channel 2.

Post by bpd » December 16th, 2020, 8:27 pm

Aglicious wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 3:53 pm
ViAggie wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 2:59 pm
splintorb wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 2:58 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 2:57 pm
splintorb wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 2:56 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 2:40 pm
Henninger not coming out smelling like roses on all of this.....
What you hearing about him?
He's the one that put together the survey... survey was worded in a way that pushed the players answers in the direction he wanted. Looking more and more like the ring leader... or one of them.....
Verrrry interesting...
Verrrrry bad looking
Also makes a lot of sense. Remember he was one of the players featured in the last post game media session and was interviewed directly after coach Maile was done. He was asked about the 2020 frozen eligibility and the opportunity to return next year. He replied that his decision was "to be determined" as he looked at coach and then mumbled something about it being dependent on what is decided with the coaching staff. Sounded and looked like he was a big Maile fan and that was sort of his threat towards those in charge to give the job to Frank.
This is a very important point. Nick was obviously pissed.



User avatar
Empire of Dirt
Posts: 3326
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:57 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: Cockett comments from sources to channel 2.

Post by Empire of Dirt » December 16th, 2020, 9:10 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
Empire of Dirt wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 6:54 pm
It's hard for me to imagine the level of persecution complex you'd have to have in order to think that as a Utah Mormon you were being discriminated against.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
There are certainly individual professors who discriminate against people of the predominant religion. Students have a right to learn in an environment that isn’t hostile. It’s also fairly strong in non teaching staff.

Utah may very well be predominantly lds- but higher education is still heavily not- to put it nicely.

Although USU is less discriminatory than most, it’s still prone to biases that exist in higher education.
My first ever class at USU as an 18 year old mormon was Biology 121 in EC-106 (pretty sure that building is no more.) With Dr Edmund Brodie (not a Mormon dude.)

I'll never forget the first day when he suggested a book written by a Mormon Bishop that explained why it was ok to study evolution. The amount of time he spend katering to Mormon beliefs was borderline embarrassing.

I wonder how many universities across the country start freshman biology that way?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Empire of Dirt for the post:
Sl7vk


"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

AgMan21
Posts: 1487
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:01 pm
Has thanked: 125 times
Been thanked: 219 times

Re: Cockett comments from sources to channel 2.

Post by AgMan21 » December 16th, 2020, 9:16 pm

I went to USU from early 2005 to late 2007 (thanks to concurrent enrollment and AP classes in high school). My major was polisci and I minored in philosophy which I feel have to be two of the most liberal and areligious programs at the university. I never once felt that my faith mattered to any professor or that I was treated differently because of it.

That’s just my personal experience.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



papaj
Posts: 291
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:58 pm
Location: 2601 Miles Southeast of the Center of the Universe
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 30 times

Re: Cockett comments from sources to channel 2.

Post by papaj » December 16th, 2020, 9:37 pm

Empire of Dirt wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 9:10 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
Empire of Dirt wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 6:54 pm
It's hard for me to imagine the level of persecution complex you'd have to have in order to think that as a Utah Mormon you were being discriminated against.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
There are certainly individual professors who discriminate against people of the predominant religion. Students have a right to learn in an environment that isn’t hostile. It’s also fairly strong in non teaching staff.

Utah may very well be predominantly lds- but higher education is still heavily not- to put it nicely.

Although USU is less discriminatory than most, it’s still prone to biases that exist in higher education.
My first ever class at USU as an 18 year old mormon was Biology 121 in EC-106 (pretty sure that building is no more.) With Dr Edmund Brodie (not a Mormon dude.)

I'll never forget the first day when he suggested a book written by a Mormon Bishop that explained why it was ok to study evolution. The amount of time he spend katering to Mormon beliefs was borderline embarrassing.

I wonder how many universities across the country start freshman biology that way?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
First day of Ivan Palmblad’s Bio 126 class: “You may not like me at first, because I don’t look like your bishop.”

Non-religious guy here who rarely if ever observed blatant disrespect for LDS faith or any religion by any of my professors.


Welcome to Utah State University: A Little Piece of Heaven on the North Side of Hell

FloridaAggie13
Posts: 11005
Joined: August 22nd, 2011, 2:18 pm
Has thanked: 631 times
Been thanked: 284 times

Re: Cockett comments from sources to channel 2.

Post by FloridaAggie13 » December 16th, 2020, 9:45 pm

Please tell me there is more than this because this is a big pile of nothing and reflects very poorly on the players.



WannabeAgAlum
Posts: 125
Joined: November 15th, 2012, 6:48 pm
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: Cockett comments from sources to channel 2.

Post by WannabeAgAlum » December 16th, 2020, 9:58 pm

We need a “no Utes” policy.
[/quote]

What a racist comment! If taken out of context. Which would NEVER happen of course.
These users thanked the author WannabeAgAlum for the post:
ineptimusprime



coolag
Posts: 1453
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 10:10 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 155 times

Re: Cockett comments from sources to channel 2.

Post by coolag » December 16th, 2020, 9:59 pm

Dumb jocks is not just a stereotype.



Imakeitrain
Posts: 7939
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Has thanked: 199 times
Been thanked: 475 times

Re: Cockett comments from sources to channel 2.

Post by Imakeitrain » December 16th, 2020, 10:00 pm

Empire of Dirt wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 9:10 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
Empire of Dirt wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 6:54 pm
It's hard for me to imagine the level of persecution complex you'd have to have in order to think that as a Utah Mormon you were being discriminated against.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
There are certainly individual professors who discriminate against people of the predominant religion. Students have a right to learn in an environment that isn’t hostile. It’s also fairly strong in non teaching staff.

Utah may very well be predominantly lds- but higher education is still heavily not- to put it nicely.

Although USU is less discriminatory than most, it’s still prone to biases that exist in higher education.
My first ever class at USU as an 18 year old mormon was Biology 121 in EC-106 (pretty sure that building is no more.) With Dr Edmund Brodie (not a Mormon dude.)

I'll never forget the first day when he suggested a book written by a Mormon Bishop that explained why it was ok to study evolution. The amount of time he spend katering to Mormon beliefs was borderline embarrassing.

I wonder how many universities across the country start freshman biology that way?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
If you want to say usu is better than other secular schools in the regard of acceptance of religion overall, I’d certainly agree. But that’s a slight of hand. The question isn’t is religion treated worse at Cal, but is there discrimination against religion at USU. There is, and at times Mormons are discriminated against by people in power (power over grades and university functions)

You’ll never forget one professor who tried to broaden minds- I’ll never forget a feminazi JCOM professor whose motive is probably more typical across the country.

I’d encourage you to be a bit more open minded. Discrimination against all sorts of people exists at USU- and Mormons being the easiest target and a prevalent group on campus do get discriminated against- and refusing to even consider that it happens here, is the same mistake that people who claim that racism doesn’t exist in America. Just because it does not fit your experience doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen, especially if you aren’t in that group.


“If at first you don’t succeed, do not try skydiving”

User avatar
NikeRunner
Posts: 75
Joined: November 20th, 2010, 7:52 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Cockett comments from sources to channel 2.

Post by NikeRunner » December 16th, 2020, 10:16 pm

Empire of Dirt wrote:It's hard for me to imagine the level of persecution complex you'd have to have in order to think that as a Utah Mormon you were being discriminated against.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I had one professor in particular who would make fun of Mormons almost every single class. One instance in particular, people chose to walk out of class and then he made fun of those people even more, all related to being Mormon.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author NikeRunner for the post:
USU78



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 3829
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 128 times
Been thanked: 1267 times

Re: Cockett comments from sources to channel 2.

Post by ineptimusprime » December 16th, 2020, 10:21 pm


What a racist comment! If taken out of context. Which would NEVER happen of course.
Haha! Let’s clear the record. I would be thrilled with any of the 2,970 members of the federally-recognized Ute Indian Tribe becoming affiliated with USU. They do not fall within the “no Utes” policy.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
USU78



NibleyAg
Posts: 179
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 3:19 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cockett comments from sources to channel 2.

Post by NibleyAg » December 16th, 2020, 10:37 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 8:18 pm
Empire of Dirt wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 6:54 pm
It's hard for me to imagine the level of persecution complex you'd have to have in order to think that as a Utah Mormon you were being discriminated against.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
There are certainly individual professors who discriminate against people of the predominant religion. Students have a right to learn in an environment that isn’t hostile. It’s also fairly strong in non teaching staff.

Utah may very well be predominantly lds- but higher education is still heavily not- to put it nicely.

Although USU is less discriminatory than most, it’s still prone to biases that exist in higher education.
I don't recall once during my college days at USU of having professors discuss religion with the class. I find it odd that some teachers would dig into a students religous preference in order to discriminate against them. If that is the case then they should not be professors.



User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 9687
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 2681 times
Been thanked: 815 times

Re: Cockett comments from sources to channel 2.

Post by USU78 » December 16th, 2020, 11:57 pm

Empire of Dirt wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 9:10 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
Empire of Dirt wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 6:54 pm
It's hard for me to imagine the level of persecution complex you'd have to have in order to think that as a Utah Mormon you were being discriminated against.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
There are certainly individual professors who discriminate against people of the predominant religion. Students have a right to learn in an environment that isn’t hostile. It’s also fairly strong in non teaching staff.

Utah may very well be predominantly lds- but higher education is still heavily not- to put it nicely.

Although USU is less discriminatory than most, it’s still prone to biases that exist in higher education.
My first ever class at USU as an 18 year old mormon was Biology 121 in EC-106 (pretty sure that building is no more.) With Dr Edmund Brodie (not a Mormon dude.)

I'll never forget the first day when he suggested a book written by a Mormon Bishop that explained why it was ok to study evolution. The amount of time he spend katering to Mormon beliefs was borderline embarrassing.

I wonder how many universities across the country start freshman biology that way?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
What a kind prof. What's your beef with him again? I don't understand.


You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Imakeitrain
Posts: 7939
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Has thanked: 199 times
Been thanked: 475 times

Re: Cockett comments from sources to channel 2.

Post by Imakeitrain » December 16th, 2020, 11:59 pm

NibleyAg wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 10:37 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 8:18 pm
Empire of Dirt wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 6:54 pm
It's hard for me to imagine the level of persecution complex you'd have to have in order to think that as a Utah Mormon you were being discriminated against.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
There are certainly individual professors who discriminate against people of the predominant religion. Students have a right to learn in an environment that isn’t hostile. It’s also fairly strong in non teaching staff.

Utah may very well be predominantly lds- but higher education is still heavily not- to put it nicely.

Although USU is less discriminatory than most, it’s still prone to biases that exist in higher education.
I don't recall once during my college days at USU of having professors discuss religion with the class. I find it odd that some teachers would dig into a students religous preference in order to discriminate against them. If that is the case then they should not be professors.
I don’t think you need to be discussing religion specifically to discriminate. Nor do I think discussion is discrimination. There are appropriate places to discuss religion on campus. Dr. Kleiner’s philosophy class is probably one the better known places. Although he disagrees with the predominant religion he isn’t hostile and it’s in the context of getting students to think.

I’m talking about harassment and actual hostility which I saw mostly in CHaSS. I didn’t see it so much in other departments.

It’s certainly not all- or even most- but there are some very bigoted professors out there
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
LarryTheAggie


“If at first you don’t succeed, do not try skydiving”

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.
Posts: 17947
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 938 times
Been thanked: 986 times

Re: Cockett comments from sources to channel 2.

Post by NVAggie » December 17th, 2020, 6:57 am

They aren’t bigoted, they are enlightened.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic