Interesting Development

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Slim80

Re: Interesting Development

Post by Slim80 » December 30th, 2020, 6:52 pm

slcagg wrote:
December 30th, 2020, 4:50 pm
I’m not so sure this would stick it to the p5. Does the fcs playoff stick it to the g5 teams?
Who cares if it does or doesn’t stick it to anybody. At least they have created something they can play for. The biggest the entire G5’s can dream is a single NY6 spot that is not part of the playoff. A G5 will never sit at the playoff table, it just won’t happen. Ohio State is in this year after playing just 4 regular season games for crying out loud!!

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 30th, 2020, 6:56 pm

Slim80 wrote:
December 30th, 2020, 6:52 pm
slcagg wrote:
I’m not so sure this would stick it to the p5. Does the fcs playoff stick it to the g5 teams?
Who cares if it does or doesn’t stick it to anybody. At least they have created something they can play for. The biggest the entire G5’s can dream is a single NY6 spot that is not part of the playoff. A G5 will never sit at the playoff table, it just won’t happen. Ohio State is in this year after playing just 4 regular season games for crying out loud!!
I think their is a very real possibility that the playoff expands. Remains to be seen if g5 is included but it is possible.

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » December 30th, 2020, 7:00 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
Personally I like being part of the top football league because I think as soon as the P5 separates from the G5, or vice versa, the G5 basically then just becomes FCS A. That being said, I don’t like it how it currently is either. I wish:
- the playoff could be expanded so every FBS team has a path to the championship. 16 team playoff. The winner of every conference (10) plus 6 at large teams.
- level the playing field through scholarship limits. This would prevent top echelon teams from signing and stashing all the best players.
- I’d love to see conferences focus on regionality and traditional rivalries.
We may be in the same “league” as the P5’s, but G5’s play second fiddle to the P5’s the way it is now. Basically what I’m saying is, we are not in the top league now and we probably never will be and just need to accept that. Not trying to be a downer, just trying to give a dose of reality to the situation.

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » December 30th, 2020, 7:03 pm

slcagg wrote:
December 30th, 2020, 6:56 pm
Slim80 wrote:
slcagg wrote:
I think their is a very real possibility that the playoff expands. Remains to be seen if g5 is included but it is possible.
I hope you are right. I’m just very skeptical the G5’s would have any representation at that table. I could see the big money programs defecting from the current process and doing their own thing, anything to keep the money to themselves.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 30th, 2020, 7:42 pm

Slim80 wrote:
December 30th, 2020, 7:03 pm
slcagg wrote:
December 30th, 2020, 6:56 pm
Slim80 wrote:
slcagg wrote:
I hope you are right. I’m just very skeptical the G5’s would have any representation at that table. I could see the big money programs defecting from the current process and doing their own thing, anything to keep the money to themselves.
I wonder if the big money programs do that if they take 16-32 programs to create a league essentially and leave all the other schools behind.

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » December 30th, 2020, 8:06 pm

It wouldn’t surprise me one bit if they did that. I could see there being closer to 32 programs that jump. 16 isn’t enough to pass the eye test of the general public. Think 1990’s conferences....

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 30th, 2020, 8:20 pm

Slim80 wrote:
December 30th, 2020, 8:06 pm
It wouldn’t surprise me one bit if they did that. I could see there being closer to 32 programs that jump. 16 isn’t enough to pass the eye test of the general public. Think 1990’s conferences....
I also think the current post season set up is broke outside of the playoffs. Look at the rose bowl tonight for example. Several key players for Florida sitting out the game because it does not matter. I imagine tv ratings won’t be great. The playoffs have somewhat discounted the bigger bowls.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
Slim80

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 30th, 2020, 11:26 pm

slcagg wrote:
December 30th, 2020, 8:20 pm
Slim80 wrote:
I also think the current post season set up is broke outside of the playoffs. Look at the rose bowl tonight for example. Several key players for Florida sitting out the game because it does not matter. I imagine tv ratings won’t be great. The playoffs have somewhat discounted the bigger bowls.
Not having a playoff is pure idiocy. TV ratings would be sky high. It would be a massive moneymaker. Imagine if the Cotton Bowl tonight would have meant the winner goes to the next round? Those players that sat out would all be playing. Everybody would care and the game would have been more competitive. Think of the Alabama-Florida game. It would have been more like that than the trainwreck you saw from the Gators tonight.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
slcagg

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 31st, 2020, 10:10 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 30th, 2020, 11:26 pm
slcagg wrote:
December 30th, 2020, 8:20 pm
Slim80 wrote:
Not having a playoff is pure idiocy. TV ratings would be sky high. It would be a massive moneymaker. Imagine if the Cotton Bowl tonight would have meant the winner goes to the next round? Those players that sat out would all be playing. Everybody would care and the game would have been more competitive. Think of the Alabama-Florida game. It would have been more like that than the trainwreck you saw from the Gators tonight.
Ultimately it might be players opting out of bowl games that turns the tide on a playoff.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » December 31st, 2020, 10:30 pm

USU needs to stay put for all the reasons mentioned here. Let Boise, BYU, CSU and AF go if they want, this would not be good for USU.

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic