Maile's "three pillars" recruiting strategy (from the report)

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Re: Maile's "three pillars" recruiting strategy (from the report)

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » January 17th, 2021, 9:27 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:Hilariously stupid to blame the last 4 years (two different head coaches, neither of which were Fank???) of poor recruiting on Frank Maile?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hasn’t frank been primarily the Utah guy though? I’m asking genuinely... I thought his recruiting area has been pretty much just Utah.

Maybe, doesn’t change anything or make places the blame on him any less stupid. It was the head coaches 3 pillars, under two different head coaches. And like 22 has said over and over, Wells was barely even offering kids from Utah.

It’s just clear this particular poster has an obsession with placing blame on Frank for things that are ridiculous to blame him for. But to blame him for the lack of recruiting success over the past 4 years?! All of which he was not the head coach?

It’s fine to not like someone. Just really weird to decide to blame him for things that were wrong with the program when he hasn’t been in charge of the program.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » January 17th, 2021, 9:29 pm

Sl7vk wrote:Guys, it's pretty simple. Think of it as globalization (and I'm not casting any judgement pro or con on this).

Did RCA do a great job of manufacturing CRT TV's in Indianapolis for 40 years. Yes. Should they start up again. No.

In the McBride, LaVelle, and GA 1.0 years, it wasn't a global world. It was small.
Oregon would never have come to Utah to get a top 10 kid. They barely knew Utah existed.
That's over. The top PAC-12 schools are all over the talented kids here, and they weren't 10 years ago.
Same goes for the Polynesian recruits. For whatever reason in GA 1.0 they were under recruited. Fast forward 10 years and that is just plain over.

10 years ago you could recruit the state and get 3 of the top 10 kids. Now you consider it a banner year if you get 1.

Look at it from a data point of view.

Utah has roughly 3.2 million people.
California has 40 million.

We are number 3 in line to get kids to come here.
40/3.2 is 12.5 . 12.5 x 3 is 37.5.
So in California recruiting, if we are better than a kid's 37.5's best option, we are better than 3rd in Utah.
So let's think about that for a minute... Not even talking about Texas or Florida.
Let's assume a kid from California didn't get an offer from anyone in the PAC-12. That's 12 schools we can't beat anyway. Now that same kid has a few MW offers and a few MAC offers. The level of athlete, from a pure statistical probability point of view will be better than 3rd choice from a state with 3.2 million people.

I'm as romantic as the next guy, but this ship has sailed. The quicker we accept that, the quicker we become competitive again on the the recruiting trail.
Are there posts in this thread arguing that USU should primarily focus on recruiting Utah? Or are you just conversing with yourself?

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » January 17th, 2021, 9:49 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 9:24 pm
Guys, it's pretty simple. Think of it as globalization (and I'm not casting any judgement pro or con on this).

Did RCA do a great job of manufacturing CRT TV's in Indianapolis for 40 years. Yes. Should they start up again. No.

In the McBride, LaVelle, and GA 1.0 years, it wasn't a global world. It was small.
Oregon would never have come to Utah to get a top 10 kid. They barely knew Utah existed.
That's over. The top PAC-12 schools are all over the talented kids here, and they weren't 10 years ago.
Same goes for the Polynesian recruits. For whatever reason in GA 1.0 they were under recruited. Fast forward 10 years and that is just plain over.

10 years ago you could recruit the state and get 3 of the top 10 kids. Now you consider it a banner year if you get 1.

So in California recruiting, if we are better than a kid's 37.5's best option, we are better than 3rd in Utah.
So let's think about that for a minute... Not even talking about Texas or Florida.
Let's assume a kid from California didn't get an offer from anyone in the PAC-12. That's 12 schools we can't beat anyway. Now that same kid has a few MW offers and a few MAC offers. The level of athlete, from a pure statistical probability point of view will be better than 3rd choice from a state with 3.2 million people.

I'm as romantic as the next guy, but this ship has sailed. The quicker we accept that, the quicker we become competitive again on the the recruiting trail.
you make great points. go where the talent is. i guess i'm a little surprised that the utah recruiting scene is so bleak.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: Maile's

Post by aggies22 » January 17th, 2021, 10:35 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 9:09 pm
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:Hilariously stupid to blame the last 4 years (two different head coaches, neither of which were Fank???) of poor recruiting on Frank Maile?

Hasn’t frank been primarily the Utah guy though? I’m asking genuinely... I thought his recruiting area has been pretty much just Utah.

And Hawaii.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » January 17th, 2021, 10:39 pm

AndroidAggie wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 9:49 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
Guys, it's pretty simple. Think of it as globalization (and I'm not casting any judgement pro or con on this).

you make great points. go where the talent is. i guess i'm a little surprised that the utah recruiting scene is so bleak.
No not bleak at all.
Great players in the State.
But once Stanford, USC, Oregon and others have ravaged the top 10.... with Utah and BYU picking up the rest.... rather than looking farther down the rung we should be looking elsewhere.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 3):
aggies22MWCFAN123rdGenAggie

BlackJack
Has thanked: 0

Post by BlackJack » January 18th, 2021, 12:53 am

AndroidAggie wrote:very good thoughts and observations -- esp about offering lower ranked/talented utah kids and passing on higher ranked/talented non utah kids, [mention]aggies22[/mention] .

i hope that the coaching staff has enough bandwidth to remember to hit up utah when the opportunity does arise.

it also occurs to me that although they don't always hit the NFL, polynesian/rm/utah kids were helpful in making us competitive from 2011 through 2015. al lapuaho, ricky ali'ifua, bojay filimoeatu, vigil brothers, fackrell (mormon and RM'ish even if he didn't expressly go), tyler larsen, travis van leeuwen, dj tialavea, josh thompson, cameron webb, jaron bentrude, etc...

not all world class nfl guys, but that blue collar hard work glad to be here ethic. i hope we don't pass on guys like that.
I agree, AndroidAggie.

Adding a few names to your list of blue collar hard work glad to be here kids, 2011-2015:

Jake Doughty, McKade Brady, Frankie Sutera, Kevin Whimpey, Kyle Whimpey, DJ Nelson
These users thanked the author BlackJack for the post:
AndroidAggie

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » January 18th, 2021, 7:08 am

Sl7vk wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 10:39 pm
No not bleak at all.
But once Stanford, USC, Oregon and others have ravaged the top 10.... with Utah and BYU picking up the rest.... rather than looking farther down the rung we should be looking elsewhere.
not to be argumentative, but how is that NOT bleak? if i understand what you and @aggies22 are saying, the quantity and quality of recruits from the state of utah that we have a realistic chance of getting doesn't compare in any meaningful sense to the quality and quantity of recruits from out of state. i would call that a bleak recruiting scene of the state of utah for utah state.

how would you characterize it?

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » January 18th, 2021, 7:11 am

AndroidAggie wrote:
January 18th, 2021, 7:08 am
Sl7vk wrote:
No not bleak at all.
not to be argumentative, but how is that NOT bleak? if i understand what you and @aggies22 are saying, the quantity and quality of recruits from the state of utah that we have a realistic chance of getting doesn't compare in any meaningful sense to the quality and quantity of recruits from out of state. i would call that a bleak recruiting scene of the state of utah for utah state.

how would you characterize it?
Utah has a smaller population to choose from.

“If at first you don’t succeed, do not try skydiving”

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » January 18th, 2021, 7:41 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
January 18th, 2021, 7:11 am
Utah has a smaller population to choose from.
sure - 3.2MM vs ... well, many more in tx, cali, fla. i get how the numbers play out.

that still paints a pretty bleak picture for getting utah recruits to come here. like aggies22 was saying, we'll have to offer them early enough and hope that commit holds through jr and sr years, or have them come in as walk ons.

i agree that it's foolish to waste scholarships on less talented players simply for "they're from utah" reasons. i also regret that we don't have more sway over the hearts and minds of the kids that could do well here.
These users thanked the author AndroidAggie for the post (total 2):
Imakeitrain3rdGenAggie

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 18th, 2021, 7:43 am

Sl7vk wrote:

Solid breakdown my Aggie brother. The only addition I will make is that we are 4th in line to get top 20-25 recruits in utah. Behind the two usual suspects and whatever P5 school the particular kid is leaning toward.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 18th, 2021, 9:07 am

Sl7vk wrote:
AndroidAggie wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:

No not bleak at all.
I completely agree. Not bleak at all. It's purely a numbers game. Utah actually does quite well with the quality of recruits it puts out compared to population numbers.

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » January 18th, 2021, 11:43 am

aggies22 wrote:
January 18th, 2021, 9:07 am
I completely agree. Not bleak at all. It's purely a numbers game. Utah actually does quite well with the quality of recruits it puts out compared to population numbers.
How is it not bleak for Utah State if none of that talent comes here?

Bleak for division I football? No. Bleak for USU? Sure sounds like it.

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » January 18th, 2021, 11:49 am

aggies22 wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
AndroidAggie wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:

No not bleak at all.
10 Years ago Utah was under recruited. 20 Plus years ago Utah was so under recruited it is mind boggling. And 30 - 40 years ago it was even worse. Utah is no even close to being under recruited now.

This is one of the major factors in byu's decline the last 2 decades. They had incredible deepth in the past because they had solid D1 kids walking on because no one looked at them. Pair that will the lose of Rick college feeder school and the rise of the Ute's to P5. It is harder and harder to find under recruited gems in Utah.

There are other area's to look now. With they way kids move around from high school to high school. There are kids that could be buried on the depth chart at their own high school behind a P5 superstar that could come in here and be very good.
No reason to limit where we look. In fact our energy is better spent elsewhere at this time. And that will change again in a few years. It always will.
Last edited by MWCFAN12 on January 19th, 2021, 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author MWCFAN12 for the post:
Aggie19

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » January 18th, 2021, 11:59 am

AndroidAggie wrote:
January 18th, 2021, 11:43 am
aggies22 wrote:
How is it not bleak for Utah State if none of that talent comes here?

Bleak for division I football? No. Bleak for USU? Sure sounds like it.
Bleak if you are making cathode ray tube TV's and aren't ready to adapt.
Tons of opportunity if you see the direction things are going.
I think we can be better than we ever have... if we are willing to adapt and adapt quickly.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 2):
splintorbAggiePT

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » January 18th, 2021, 1:28 pm

I think I am not making myself understood very well.

Utah State's recruiting as a whole is not bleak. State of Utah recruiting in terms of talent per capita is not bleak. But we can't get those recruits, so USU recruiting in the state of Utah is bleak. I find that regrettable.

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » January 18th, 2021, 6:55 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 1:33 pm
Aggiealum13 wrote:
January 16th, 2021, 8:24 am
The only one on the three pillars that I'm still in agreement with is "Locals." USU is a public school and should have representation from the state. It may not be the best players from the state, but USU has had a history of having some really good in-state talent. Obviously they should stretch out their arms to other states, transfers, and backgrounds. But in-state recruiting should not be overlooked.
If you are recruiting locals you are also recruiting Polynesians and RMs. Pretty tough to recruit Utah without also recruiting the other two.
I agree with you that it's hard to get around Polynesians and return missionaries if you're recruiting locals, and if that's the case then that's the case. USU is a state public school. We need not be ashamed to recruit locals. I read on a deseret news article on Blake Anderson that he's still on board with that which is a good thing.

BustaMcNutt

Post by BustaMcNutt » January 18th, 2021, 7:10 pm

Our last 3 guys to enter the portal are from Utah (Bloomfield, Shaw and Shelton). Even when we get them we don't always keep them. I believe we were the only FBS offers for Shaw and Bloomfield. Then they chose to bail as soon as they proved their worth. I guess what I'm getting at is recruiting plans are never going to be perfect because we're dealing with humans. Get who has talent and wants to be here and then work on nurturing that relationship.

Harcher

Post by Harcher » January 18th, 2021, 7:47 pm

Sl7vk
That was good, thx.

The key point in your summary is that GA1.0 was PRIOR to globalization. But we had plenty of non poly-Rn-UT players according to GA upon his arrival. So the assertion that we didn’t harvest outside or globally is not so much the case.

What has changed is the explosion of good players. (every kid in the country has a personal coach... etc). And that means California has 10 times that explosion and there are still only 128 D1 team, so there is MUCH more to harvest elsewhere now.

I would agree to that.
These users thanked the author Harcher for the post (total 2):
Sl7vkAggiePT

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » January 21st, 2021, 12:39 pm

rAggie wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 12:59 pm
Aside from all the drama in the report, I wanted to start a separate thread on the -- I believe previously unknown -- meeting between Cockett and Maile where he campaigned for himself and outlined his recruiting strategy of:

1) Polynesians
2) Locals
3) Return missionaries

While these are all key building blocks of a successful program at Utah State and should always be a focus, to make this a cornerstone of your campaign for candidacy is really short sighted and ineffective, and Pres. Cockett rightfully so would have had concerns about the inclusiveness of this. HE in effect said he was going to make two of the three cornerstones of his program built on racial/cultural factors and religious factors. There's a line between targeting those groups and building a program that works well for those groups and by all accounts here it sounds to me like Frank crossed it.

Seeing the high caliber of student athlete and talent and diversity (in general not racial) of that talent that Blake Anderson is bringing in, I am all the more happy with the decision that Hartwell made.

Reading this with your summary comments rAggie, it appears Frank Maile was looking to gather a harvest where there wasn't much crop. Your solid comments about the type of athletes Blake Anderson and company are now recruiting bring some hope and expectations to our program.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » January 21st, 2021, 12:45 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
rAggie wrote:
Aside from all the drama in the report, I wanted to start a separate thread on the -- I believe previously unknown -- meeting between Cockett and Maile where he campaigned for himself and outlined his recruiting strategy of:

1) Polynesians
2) Locals
3) Return missionaries

While these are all key building blocks of a successful program at Utah State and should always be a focus, to make this a cornerstone of your campaign for candidacy is really short sighted and ineffective, and Pres. Cockett rightfully so would have had concerns about the inclusiveness of this. HE in effect said he was going to make two of the three cornerstones of his program built on racial/cultural factors and religious factors. There's a line between targeting those groups and building a program that works well for those groups and by all accounts here it sounds to me like Frank crossed it.

Seeing the high caliber of student athlete and talent and diversity (in general not racial) of that talent that Blake Anderson is bringing in, I am all the more happy with the decision that Hartwell made.

Reading this with your summary comments rAggie, it appears Frank Maile was looking to gather a harvest where there wasn't much crop. Your solid comments about the type of athletes Blake Anderson and company are now recruiting bring some hope and expectations to our program.
I agree Blake’s recruiting strategy is much preferred over Frank’s, Wells’, and GA’s. I think the point a lot of us are making in this thread is this:

All three coaches (GA, Wells, and Frank) said the exact same thing about those three pillars. Whether it’s a smart strategy or not is not what I’ve been talking about. Pretty obvious it wouldn’t be wise to only recruit Utah. The ironic thing is that no one on this board made threads calling GA or Wells an idiot for making the exact same statement regarding the pillars that Frank did. He literally just said exactly what his HC’s had said over the years here, and fans loved it every time the coaches said it.

To finish, I think Frank would’ve been a terrible option as head coach and have maintained that the entire time.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 21st, 2021, 4:26 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 12:45 pm
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
rAggie wrote:

1) Polynesians
2) Locals
3) Return missionaries

I agree Blake’s recruiting strategy is much preferred over Frank’s, Wells’, and GA’s. I think the point a lot of us are making in this thread is this:

All three coaches (GA, Wells, and Frank) said the exact same thing about those three pillars. Whether it’s a smart strategy or not is not what I’ve been talking about. Pretty obvious it wouldn’t be wise to only recruit Utah. The ironic thing is that no one on this board made threads calling GA or Wells an idiot for making the exact same statement regarding the pillars that Frank did. He literally just said exactly what his HC’s had said over the years here, and fans loved it every time the coaches said it.

To finish, I think Frank would’ve been a terrible option as head coach and have maintained that the entire time.

Matt Wells may have quoted the pillars when he was hired but he moved away from them being the staple of his recruiting efforts.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » January 21st, 2021, 4:43 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 4:26 pm
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
rAggie wrote:

1) Polynesians
2) Locals
3) Return missionaries

Matt Wells may have quoted the pillars when he was hired but he moved away from them being the staple of his recruiting efforts.
And there were half a dozen threads citing that as a big problem. "Cause for Concern" was the title of one.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » January 21st, 2021, 4:43 pm

aggies22 wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
rAggie wrote:

1) Polynesians
2) Locals
3) Return missionaries

Which I also said in this thread. Many fans on this board were upset that Wells moved away from the pillars he promised to stick to. Even further showing the irony.

I’m simply pointing out the irony, and blatant disregard for reality, of some in this thread acting like Frank is dumb for mentioning these pillars. It’s the OP of the thread.

I’m not sure anyone on this board has said Frank should have been, or was a good option for HC. I’m simply saying we should stick to reality and be consistent in who we criticize and what we criticize them for.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic