Packers GM

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
UStateTim

Packers GM

Post by UStateTim » February 2nd, 2021, 8:10 pm

I found an interesting quote from the Packers GM. “I view Jordan Love as a talented prospect that we’re excited about developing. I know it’s not the norm having quarterbacks sit for a long time, but we certainly believe in that.”

At first, I was excited for Love to be in this situation, but I’m not so certain anymore. Rodgers is the MVP this year. If he gets a new contract that seems to be rumored then I honestly hope they trade Love somewhere else. He’s pretty much in an impossible situation because he has to be an elite qb when the time does come or the Packers will never hear the end of it.
These users thanked the author UStateTim for the post:
CastIronAggie

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Re: Packers GM

Post by AggiesForever » February 3rd, 2021, 6:57 am

Love will get a chance to develop slowly, watching Rodgers each day and is receiving professional coaching. He'll get reps this fall and I fully expect that Packers to install him as the back-up to Rodgers. Aaron waited 3 years to get his shot at replacing Brett Favre. I fully expect the same situation to happen here. Love was drafted in almost the same spot. He can wait.
These users thanked the author AggiesForever for the post (total 5):
aggies22sstrasserFloridaAggie13flying_scotsman2.0JSHarvey

IBleedAggieBlue

Post by IBleedAggieBlue » February 3rd, 2021, 1:20 pm

I think that the Packers have a formula for developing QBs that you don't change. Jordan we be great when he time comes.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » February 3rd, 2021, 1:41 pm

IBleedAggieBlue wrote:
February 3rd, 2021, 1:20 pm
I think that the Packers have a formula for developing QBs that you don't change. Jordan we be great when he time comes.
Yes, few franchises can claim two back to back HOF QBs.

San Francisco with Joe Montana and Steve Young comes to mind, would be nice if the Packers pull off a trifecta.

Full

Post by Full » February 3rd, 2021, 1:48 pm

Rodgers started zero games his first three years in Green Bay and played in 7 games while attempting 59 passes. If there was any fan base that should be able to see the benefit of drafting an underrated QB and letting him sit for a few season it should be Green Bay. If he ends up playing as well as Rodgers, fans will love him.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » February 3rd, 2021, 3:11 pm

As a Packer fan, most Packer fans are really concerned that he couldn't even beat out Tim Boyle for the back up job.

The other problem is the Packers were in the NFC championship and instead of drafting a guy that could put them over the top this season, I.E. WR, ILB, CB, they drafted Love, and Dillion and Deguara at positions they didn't need. So the last years draft was basically a waste as far as getting better for the 2020 season.

As both a huge Packer and JLove fan, its a really bad match and I don't think this ends well for either side.
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 2):
CastIronAggieFloridaAggie13

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » February 3rd, 2021, 3:32 pm

Most drafted QB's don't see any PT for a while, others start out really strong then get relegated to the bench or a backup on another team (Marcus Mariota comes to mind) no worries, he'll develope just fine.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

IBleedAggieBlue

Post by IBleedAggieBlue » February 3rd, 2021, 4:02 pm

2004AG wrote:
February 3rd, 2021, 3:11 pm
As a Packer fan, most Packer fans are really concerned that he couldn't even beat out Tim Boyle for the back up job.

The other problem is the Packers were in the NFC championship and instead of drafting a guy that could put them over the top this season, I.E. WR, ILB, CB, they drafted Love, and Dillion and Deguara at positions they didn't need. So the last years draft was basically a waste as far as getting better for the 2020 season.

As both a huge Packer and JLove fan, its a really bad match and I don't think this ends well for either side.
Packers will always be in a position to compete, because it's one of the best run franchises in the NFL. They remind me of the Jazz. I don't have the devotion to them like I do the Rams, (which just traded off their franchise guy to Detroit), but I think the Packers will be just fine and will always draft well. They seem to have vision of their needs for the future. The guys they draft in the next couple of years will be complementary to Jordan, but will have experience under Rogers. Unlike the Rams, I never doubt the stability of the Packers and their decisions. The players they have now, should have won, now! You can't put that on last year's draft class.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » February 3rd, 2021, 4:05 pm

ViAggie wrote:
February 3rd, 2021, 3:32 pm
Most drafted QB's don't see any PT for a while, others start out really strong then get relegated to the bench or a backup on another team (Marcus Mariota comes to mind) no worries, he'll develope just fine.
[/quote

While this is true its almost unheard of for a 1st round pick (Rodgers excluded) so its getting a lot of attention. The other issue bubbling are the rumors Rodgers might seek a contract extension and renegotiation. With all of the salary cap implications and value that Love may mave its hard to think the packers are going to go with this until 2023 or 2024. If they did it would be a rarity really only seen twice that I can recall (Favre-Rodgers and Young-Montana have some similarities.

I agree though. He's young and probably better off if he another year or two to wait. I think the odds are against him being the successor if its more than a year out.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
ViAggie

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » February 3rd, 2021, 4:06 pm

IBleedAggieBlue wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Packers will always be in a position to compete, because it's one of the best run franchises in the NFL. They remind me of the Jazz. I don't have the devotion to them like I do the Rams, (which just traded off their franchise guy to Detroit), but I think the Packers will be just fine and will always draft well. They seem to have vision of their needs for the future. The guys they draft in the next couple of years will be complementary to Jordan, but will have experience under Rogers. Unlike the Rams, I never doubt the stability of the Packers and their decisions. The players they have now, should have won, now! You can't put that on last year's draft class.
They should Should have won now but the fact of the matter is they didn’t. Woulda shoulda coulda. They needed a couple pieces and didn’t get any. Hopefully they learned from their mistakes last year and get someone that can help them win games.

The packers will be “fine” and the jazz are a good comparison. The problem is the goal is to win a super bowl and they have basically pissed away Rodgers entire career. That window is closing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CanofShiz

Post by CanofShiz » February 4th, 2021, 6:49 pm

Rodgers hands down was the mpv of the nfl this year. Packer fans "We lost the nfc championship game cause we drafted Love."

These users thanked the author CanofShiz for the post:
aggies22

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » February 4th, 2021, 9:07 pm

2004AG wrote:
February 3rd, 2021, 4:06 pm
IBleedAggieBlue wrote:
2004AG wrote:

They should Should have won now but the fact of the matter is they didn’t. Woulda shoulda coulda. They needed a couple pieces and didn’t get any. Hopefully they learned from their mistakes last year and get someone that can help them win games.

The packers will be “fine” and the jazz are a good comparison. The problem is the goal is to win a super bowl and they have basically pissed away Rodgers entire career. That window is closing.

I’m a big Packers fan. I lived in Green Bay for 8 years prior to Chicago. Rodgers is 1-4 in NFC Championship games. No one has pissed Rodgers career away except for maybe Rodgers. There has been too much drama with Rodgers including his draft year. He’s one of the best QBs who has played in the NFL but he has a hard time winning when it really counts.
These users thanked the author ChicagoAggie for the post:
AngusAg

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » February 5th, 2021, 7:05 am

ChicagoAggie wrote:
February 4th, 2021, 9:07 pm
2004AG wrote:
IBleedAggieBlue wrote:
2004AG wrote:

I’m a big Packers fan. I lived in Green Bay for 8 years prior to Chicago. Rodgers is 1-4 in NFC Championship games. No one has pissed Rodgers career away except for maybe Rodgers. There has been too much drama with Rodgers including his draft year. He’s one of the best QBs who has played in the NFL but he has a hard time winning when it really counts.
Nice. Lots of Packers/Aggie fans.

Its hard to win when it counts when you have Kevin King giving the game away, or giving up an onside kick against Seattle in 2015 to lose. I just don't think they have surrounded AR with enough talent. They never quite go "all-in" for him.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » February 5th, 2021, 2:29 pm

2004AG wrote:
February 5th, 2021, 7:05 am
ChicagoAggie wrote:
February 4th, 2021, 9:07 pm
2004AG wrote:
IBleedAggieBlue wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Nice. Lots of Packers/Aggie fans.

Its hard to win when it counts when you have Kevin King giving the game away, or giving up an onside kick against Seattle in 2015 to lose. I just don't think they have surrounded AR with enough talent. They never quite go "all-in" for him.
Depends on what "all in" means. Rodgers is probably making too much money for the Packers to be much better than they are. Brady has always been concerned about the team when his contract comes up. Mahomes is still being paid on his rookie contract, his new money starts next season. Rookie contracts are 4 years. So that's the timeline. Love has 3 years left. If the Pack decides that Love is ready next season or the season after that? They can boot Rodgers and afford better defensive players.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » February 7th, 2021, 7:39 pm

IBleedAggieBlue wrote:
I don't follow the Packers. Who are the QBs the current staff has developed? Have they developed any QBs in the past 10 years who are now starting in the NFL?

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » February 7th, 2021, 9:02 pm

brownjeans wrote:
February 7th, 2021, 7:39 pm
IBleedAggieBlue wrote:
I don't follow the Packers. Who are the QBs the current staff has developed? Have they developed any QBs in the past 10 years who are now starting in the NFL?
I think they basically went from Favre to Rodgers. That covers a lot of the last 15 years. Rodgers sat behind Favre for a couple years. I think they are hoping Love does something similar.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » February 8th, 2021, 12:46 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
February 7th, 2021, 9:02 pm
brownjeans wrote:
February 7th, 2021, 7:39 pm
IBleedAggieBlue wrote:
I think they basically went from Favre to Rodgers. That covers a lot of the last 15 years. Rodgers sat behind Favre for a couple years. I think they are hoping Love does something similar.
Are any of the people who developed Rodgers still there?

breadysmith

Post by breadysmith » February 8th, 2021, 7:33 am

Depends on what "all in" means. Rodgers is probably making too much money for the Packers to be much better than they are. Brady has always been concerned about the team when his contract comes up. Mahomes is still being paid on his rookie contract, his new money starts next season. Rookie contracts are 4 years. So that's the timeline. Love has 3 years left. If the Pack decides that Love is ready next season or the season after that? They can boot Rodgers and afford better defensive players.[/quote]

I agree with El Sapo this has always been my thought as well in regards to this whole topic. I’m a Packers fan and appreciate that we’ve had excellent QB play for like 25 years. Yes QB’s are the most important player on the field and should have the highest paycheck. But Rodgers took so much of the pie that he’s making it hard to surround him with better guys. Even drafting a wr this year...even in the first round...was no sure fire bet that he’d beat out the existing guys and make the kind of impact they needed. They were good enough to win the super bowl this year...they didn’t they just got beat and a good part of that is their coaching staff as has been discussed elsewhere.

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » February 8th, 2021, 10:30 am

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
February 3rd, 2021, 1:41 pm
IBleedAggieBlue wrote:
Yes, few franchises can claim two back to back HOF QBs.

San Francisco with Joe Montana and Steve Young comes to mind, would be nice if the Packers pull off a trifecta.
It really is amazing that the Brett Favre/Aaron Rodgers span has last 28 years. Even the San Francisco Montana/Young run was only 15-17 years. The Packers have had incredible success and luck with that QB stability and talent.
These users thanked the author aggiesdotcom for the post:
NowhereLandAggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic