Before There Was Such a Thing as a Superbowl,

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Before There Was Such a Thing as a Superbowl,

Post by USU78 » February 9th, 2021, 12:56 pm

when the championship game was played on the home field of the top team, when there was no such thing as turf, and when you could fill an 80,000 seat pro stadium on a crappy halftime of baton twirlers and a college marching band, beer, brats, and dogs. This game, which I watched with my dad, made me a Packerbacker for life. My older brothers? Not so much.

These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 8):
JSHarveyBearLakeMonstermcaggie1hipsterdoofus21NavyBlueAggieFloridaAggie13slcaggEl Sapo

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

newhouse9

Re: Before There Was Such a Thing as a Superbowl,

Post by newhouse9 » February 9th, 2021, 2:41 pm

Go Pack Go! Love the Packers!

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » February 10th, 2021, 12:44 pm

I was a Freshman at USU and living on campus in a dorm (David O McKay Living Center) called Moyle Hall. I remember going down to the lounge area and watching the very first Super Bowl. I was not nor ever been a Packers fan. It would have been better if I had been a Packers fan. At least they have won a few SB’s. I have been a Vikings fan....0 for 4 in SB. Ouch!
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
USU78

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » February 10th, 2021, 2:28 pm

I laughed about the "head lock with such enthusiasm" it drew a penalty line.

Interesting to watch that. Quite a bit different than today's game. (For one thing apparently there were a lot fewer teeth!)

The Packers are the primary NFL team I like, but Wagner has made me a fan of the Seahawks as well.
These users thanked the author JSHarvey for the post (total 2):
sstrasserUSU78

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » February 10th, 2021, 9:42 pm

Groza had quite the belly on him.
These users thanked the author jpswensen for the post:
USU78

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » February 16th, 2021, 4:14 pm

Loved watching those game highlights 78. Nostalgia for when playing on natural turf was fun, dirty and real. I remember walking to our locker room and showering with my uniform on. Seemed to be a good move, and the dirt, mud and water in front of my locker wasn't as bad as those who didn't "RINSE OFF".

NOSTALGIA, 78, and a sincere thanks for posting. .
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post (total 2):
USU78FloridaAggie13

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » February 16th, 2021, 7:26 pm

I prefer the Grey Cup. They played the 107th Grey Cup last fall .... Super Bowl is at number 55. Enough said.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » February 18th, 2021, 9:28 pm

Football should be played on grass, outside in the rain and snow. I remember as a child watching games in the 1970's when the Vikings still played outside and of course the Packers. Just something about a December game in the mud, ice and snow and the fans still showed up and packed the stadium.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 3):
USU78mcaggie1NavyBlueAggie

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » February 20th, 2021, 11:42 am

Man I hated the NFL in those days. I'd be watching games with my dad and we would joke that Pat Summerall had a Dallas cowboys star tattooed under his hair on the side of his head. He worshiped the Cowboys. That coach of theirs with the hat? It was way worse than Madden worshiped Bret Farvaree (the most overrated player in history). The NFL was the establishment and the AFL was a group of young punks.

Namath was the focal point. He was bad-a$$. Like a rock star. When he won that first SB for the AFL it was huuuggggeeee, and he'll always be one of my heroes. Saw him take a beating like no other v the Raiders where after the game we found out that the Raiders had broken his jaw. Namath never went off the field or missed a play.

These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13USU78

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » February 22nd, 2021, 7:54 pm

El Sapo wrote:
February 20th, 2021, 11:42 am
Man I hated the NFL in those days. I'd be watching games with my dad and we would joke that Pat Summerall had a Dallas cowboys star tattooed under his hair on the side of his head. He worshiped the Cowboys. That coach of theirs with the hat? It was way worse than Madden worshiped Bret Farvaree (the most overrated player in history). The NFL was the establishment and the AFL was a group of young punks.

Namath was the focal point. He was bad-a$$. Like a rock star. When he won that first SB for the AFL it was huuuggggeeee, and he'll always be one of my heroes. Saw him take a beating like no other v the Raiders where after the game we found out that the Raiders had broken his jaw. Namath never went off the field or missed a play.

As Al Davis used to say, "...sometime in the first ten plays of the game the opposing quarterback must go down and he must go down hard..."
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 2):
USU78El Sapo

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » February 24th, 2021, 3:08 pm

Ah, times past when football was played on real grass, in the mud and at times snow. At the end of the game it was like a game trophy to walk to the locker rooms dirty, muddy and at times more. NOSTALGIA....
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post (total 2):
USU78FloridaAggie13

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » February 24th, 2021, 4:12 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
February 24th, 2021, 3:08 pm
Ah, times past when football was played on real grass, in the mud and at times snow. At the end of the game it was like a game trophy to walk to the locker rooms dirty, muddy and at times more. NOSTALGIA....
The last game I saw in Romney Stadium was in November 1994. Snow was piled high on the sidelines, skies were overcast and the wet field was easily torn apart. With a few hot chocolates in hand I watched Abu Wilson run for about 200 yards in the mud and the slop. I really enjoyed that game.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 3):
USU78NavyBlueAggiemcaggie1

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » February 27th, 2021, 2:40 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
February 24th, 2021, 4:12 pm
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
The last game I saw in Romney Stadium was in November 1994. Snow was piled high on the sidelines, skies were overcast and the wet field was easily torn apart. With a few hot chocolates in hand I watched Abu Wilson run for about 200 yards in the mud and the slop. I really enjoyed that game.
Abu Wilson, I could be mistaken (often), but I think Abu Wilson was part of the Aggie team that beat Utah in Logan. It was a huggeee win. I remember Abu (if it was him) carrying Utah players on his back for big soul crushing gains. I yelled out "that's the best ride in the park" after more than one of those runs...... a homage to the greatest smack talker of all time Ric Flair. After the game, I stood up to leave and was still buzzing, I guy came down the stairs from the booth gave me a high five as he passed. I thought he looked familiar, it was Larry Eustachy.
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post:
FloridaAggie13

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » February 27th, 2021, 6:26 pm

El Sapo wrote:
February 27th, 2021, 2:40 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
February 24th, 2021, 4:12 pm
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
Abu Wilson, I could be mistaken (often), but I think Abu Wilson was part of the Aggie team that beat Utah in Logan. It was a huggeee win. I remember Abu (if it was him) carrying Utah players on his back for big soul crushing gains. I yelled out "that's the best ride in the park" after more than one of those runs...... a homage to the greatest smack talker of all time Ric Flair. After the game, I stood up to leave and was still buzzing, I guy came down the stairs from the booth gave me a high five as he passed. I thought he looked familiar, it was Larry Eustachy.
It was a shame he had the serious knee injuries, I thought he could have been a decent NFL running back. If he doesn't get hurt leading into the 1993 season I think we could have gone 9-3 or 10-2 instead of 7-5 and maybe sparked some success for the program.

Locked Previous topicNext topic