Spring Game Reports... Please!

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GeoAg

Spring Game Reports... Please!

Post by GeoAg » April 17th, 2021, 2:41 pm

Would love any info. Thanks!

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Roy McAvoy

Re: Spring Game Reports... Please!

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 17th, 2021, 2:59 pm

Here’s a few quick thoughts:

Peasley & Legas have both improved. They’ve had better footwork & are throwing better balls IMO. That’s not saying a ton though because I’ve never been too high on either, but they have undoubtedly gotten better.

The RB position looks really good to me. I think we’ll be able to run the football this year. John Gentry has been showing out.

Deven Thompkins has been another highlight on offense.

The offense definitely has a lot more creativity than we’ve seen the past two years, thank goodness.

The O-line has struggled though IMO. (Blake Anderson just said there’s only 7 healthy o-lineman).

There’s a ton of players out with injury.
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on April 17th, 2021, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 6):
flying_scotsman2.0AussieAggieDadGeoAg3rdGenAggieAggieArmyIdaAg93

pdyebrasil

Post by pdyebrasil » April 17th, 2021, 3:12 pm

These users thanked the author pdyebrasil for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0AggieArmy

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » April 17th, 2021, 4:42 pm

Sorry if this is a dumb question. But unfortunately I haven’t been to a spring game yet. So could anyone explain how the spring game scoring works? I saw offense beat the defense 53-46..?

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » April 17th, 2021, 4:57 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 2:59 pm

Peasley & Legas have both improved. They’ve had better footwork & are throwing better balls IMO. That’s not saying a ton though because I’ve never been too high on either, but they have undoubtedly gotten better.

The RB position looks really good to me. I think we’ll be able to run the football this year. John Gentry has been showing out.

The offense definitely has a lot more creativity than we’ve seen the past two years, thank goodness.

The O-line has struggled though IMO. (Blake Anderson just said there’s only 7 healthy o-lineman).

Love it! Thanks! More please people!

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » April 17th, 2021, 5:05 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 2:59 pm

Agree with Roy's assessment. Took the offense a little while to find a groove, but they got better as the scrimmage progressed. Impressed with RBs and I thought Van Leeuwen looked good. Missed assignments on D led to some big plays. About what I expected; there's potential. Need consistency out of the QB and I think we got a shot. I like Anderson.
These users thanked the author AngusAg for the post:
AussieAggieDad

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » April 17th, 2021, 5:12 pm

Oh, and that Aussie punter did well. He's going to be good.
These users thanked the author AngusAg for the post (total 2):
AussieAggieDadGeoAg

AussieAggieDad

Post by AussieAggieDad » April 17th, 2021, 5:17 pm

Cheers AngusAg, I was wondering how he went! I'll chat with him later today. This was his very first Spring Ball so I'm keen to learn about his experience.
These users thanked the author AussieAggieDad for the post:
AggieArmy

I am an Aggie Man

Post by I am an Aggie Man » April 17th, 2021, 5:33 pm

Stats from the game, assuming the image shows up good enough
These users thanked the author I am an Aggie Man for the post (total 4):
BLUERUFiOAussieAggieDadAggieArmyRoy McAvoy

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » April 17th, 2021, 5:37 pm

I am an Aggie Man wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 5:33 pm
Stats from the game, assuming the image shows up good enough
Fantastic work!

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » April 17th, 2021, 5:57 pm

Random thoughts

RPO RPO RPO
Defense is ahead of offense at this point.
We have far more team speed on defense than last year.
Marcus Moore will be tough this year.
We will get a lot of pressures off the edge.
Brandon Bowling is going to be a match up problem for several teams. He might be our strongest receiver with the ball ( beast hands ). I really like him with a safety matchup.
We need Mcgriff to be better with high pointing the ball.
RB seems to have improved a lot.
AJay Carter has a chance to be a very very good DB. He is much farther ahead than I thought he would be.
Thompkins is fast and good.
Scarver might be able to catch the ball in traffic after all.
Joyner is a stud.
RPO RPO RPO RPO
I really like what I see and hear out of our Staff and BA
These users thanked the author MWCFAN12 for the post (total 6):
AussieAggieDadAggieArmyIdaAg93Roy McAvoyaggies22hipsterdoofus21

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » April 17th, 2021, 6:47 pm

My main takeaway from this scrimmage is the same as the last one: our run game is going to be much better.
These users thanked the author BLUERUFiO for the post:
ViAggie

IdaAg93

Post by IdaAg93 » April 17th, 2021, 8:48 pm

I believe it was 3 series before our offense figured out how to run and catch the ball. Seriously, it was all D. We started making a couple of short passes and the confidence improved. By the end of the scrimmage, is was evenly matched and lots of fun competition. I thought our O line did well for as thin as they were. Got better as the game went.
Run game is strong. I like that Now and Gentry both looked equally strong. Not much drop off from the one and two.
Hadnot looks good. Athletic and can run in the open with some speed. Bowling put a move a couple of defenders and left them in their stance. I was way impressed with how DT played today. Play calling and execution allowed him to get the ball in his hands. Griffin has the body and build to do so much more than he is. He's good, but could be great. Time will tell.
Lots of energy on the field on both sides of the ball.
Our corners and safetys played well. Lots of passes defended very well.

I like how BA spoke to the crowd at half. He's a good dude. There was a good crowd too. Fun to be there.
These users thanked the author IdaAg93 for the post (total 3):
BLUERUFiOAussieAggieDadJSHarvey

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » April 17th, 2021, 8:59 pm

Bowling is going to be catching it near the sideline for 3ish yards A LOT this year.

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » April 17th, 2021, 11:34 pm

I was pleased with both Legas and Peasley. The running game is really nice. We have a bevy of nice backs. The RB is the most improved but receiving is much improved too. Peasley has that ability to run but can keep people honest with the arm. Stack the improved RB’s into that equation and we will have a nice year. Legas did really nice too, he is right there. Much better speed on defense as well. This is going to be a really nice team. Buy tickets!

#hornsup!

stang

Post by stang » April 18th, 2021, 12:35 am

A few personal takeaways from watching two scrimmages and a few practices:

- The o-line was working their tails off today. With only seven healthy linemen, some of them were in on two or three series in a row. They were really bad at first, but got better as the day went on.
- Deven Thompkins is going to be a PROBLEM this year. He's absolutely showed out all spring.
- I think both Peasley and Legas were good, but not great. I'm fully expecting Bonner to be the Day 1 starter.
- A lot of people have said they expect the running game to be much improved this year, but the thing I've been most impressed with is their depth. They've got five very legit guys.
- Bowling, Hadnot and Van Leeuwen have been pleasant surprises in the receiving game. Really wish we could have seen Jordan Nathan today.
- Dominic Tatum was GREAT today. The other usual suspects on defense (AJV, Meitz, Bond, Carter, Moore) have been consistently great as well. I think the defense could be very good with the addition of Rice.
- As mentioned by MWCFAN12, this offense is going to run a ton of RPO. I'm a huge fan of it, but they've still got a bit of work to do to be fully effective with it.
These users thanked the author stang for the post (total 4):
AussieAggieDadAggieFBObsessionaggies22slcagg

ususports

Post by ususports » April 18th, 2021, 1:47 am

stang wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 12:35 am
- The o-line was working their tails off today. With only seven healthy linemen, some of them were in on two or three series in a row. They were really bad at first, but got better as the day went on.
To be fair, they were probably worried that a few fans were not properly wearing masks and that got them off to a slow start. Luckily, this important info is now out in the open so our football coaches can get it resolved going forward.

bullshot

Post by bullshot » April 18th, 2021, 6:54 am

The coaches should have stopped the scrimmage until all the spectators were properly masked up. Just like in middle school. Thank you so much SL Trib for bringing that atrocity to the light of day.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 18th, 2021, 7:44 am

bullshot wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 6:54 am
The coaches should have stopped the scrimmage until all the spectators were properly masked up. Just like in middle school. Thank you so much SL Trib for bringing that atrocity to the light of day.
On a serious note, that did really happen at American Fork High School last year.
https://thespun.com/college-football/ut ... quirements

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » April 18th, 2021, 8:25 am

bullshot wrote:The coaches should have stopped the scrimmage until all the spectators were properly masked up. Just like in middle school. Thank you so much SL Trib for bringing that atrocity to the light of day.
Seriously? Is that what they reported on? That is pathetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 18th, 2021, 8:53 am

Surprised that no one has mentioned one of my two main highlights. That would be Cooper Jones from a hotbed of football talent...Elko, Nevada. He broke two long runs, and showed toughness up the middle and off tackle. He’s little but has a big heart. Very fun to watch. He adds serious depth to a strong group of running backs.
Btw, my other standout player was Ajani Carter. His transition from rb to db was a stroke of genius by the coaching staff. His name was called time after time. He was in on a lot of plays. I’m excited for what he has shown he can do.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post (total 3):
BLUERUFiOAggieFBObsessionAussieAggieDad

stang

Post by stang » April 18th, 2021, 10:30 am

mcaggie1 wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 8:53 am
Surprised that no one has mentioned one of my two main highlights. That would be Cooper Jones from a hotbed of football talent...Elko, Nevada. He broke two long runs, and showed toughness up the middle and off tackle. He’s little but has a big heart. Very fun to watch. He adds serious depth to a strong group of running backs.
Btw, my other standout player was Ajani Carter. His transition from rb to db was a stroke of genius by the coaching staff. His name was called time after time. He was in on a lot of plays. I’m excited for what he has shown he can do.
That was pretty cool to watch. He's really small and the group that he was running against was, well, not great. But the kid has some speed! I imagine we'll see him at least a little bit this year.

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » April 19th, 2021, 3:12 pm

Surprised this wasn't mentioned. Everytime a defender was in place to make a tackle, they made the tackle. Not like last year with our defenders getting bounced off ball carriers. Good wrapping up and spinning down. Didn't see a bounce off missed tackle all game
These users thanked the author trevordude for the post (total 3):
AggiePTAussieAggieDadEl Sapo

Not sent from Tapatalk

coolag

Post by coolag » April 19th, 2021, 3:52 pm

BLUERUFiO wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 8:59 pm
Bowling is going to be catching it near the sideline for 3ish yards A LOT this year.
Yay.

Regulator of Class

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » April 19th, 2021, 4:22 pm

trevordude wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 3:12 pm
Surprised this wasn't mentioned. Everytime a defender was in place to make a tackle, they made the tackle. Not like last year with our defenders getting bounced off ball carriers. Good wrapping up and spinning down. Didn't see a bounce off missed tackle all game
Wow, you're right. I dunno how I forgot how bad the tackling was last year. It really did improve a lot... thanks for pointing that out.

stang

Post by stang » April 19th, 2021, 6:11 pm

BLUERUFiO wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 4:22 pm
trevordude wrote:
Wow, you're right. I dunno how I forgot how bad the tackling was last year. It really did improve a lot... thanks for pointing that out.
I know if you talk to any of the defensive coaches, they'll tell you that tackling has been the number one focus this spring. I think that the last staff was so concerned with getting schemes in place and things like that that they just kind of grazed over the basic fundamentals like tackling and it definitely showed. It was very refreshing to see guys use proper technique and wrap up.
These users thanked the author stang for the post (total 2):
AussieAggieDadAggieFBObsession

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » April 20th, 2021, 10:54 pm

stang wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 6:11 pm
BLUERUFiO wrote:
trevordude wrote:
I know if you talk to any of the defensive coaches, they'll tell you that tackling has been the number one focus this spring. I think that the last staff was so concerned with getting schemes in place and things like that that they just kind of grazed over the basic fundamentals like tackling and it definitely showed. It was very refreshing to see guys use proper technique and wrap up.
I think its a stretch to say the last group of coaches was concerned about getting anything in place. The only thing worse than the LBs and DBs tackling was the vanilla 3 man rush scheme last year with the joke they called coverage. When you are dropping 8 and still have out of position cover 0 on every team's best outside receiver with your worst corner you aren't thinking much about your scheme. A drunk Junior high coach would have done better. And don't get me started on Air Force.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post (total 2):
USU78AggiePT

AggiePT

Post by AggiePT » April 21st, 2021, 9:15 am

hickaggie wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 10:54 pm
stang wrote:
BLUERUFiO wrote:
trevordude wrote:
I think its a stretch to say the last group of coaches was concerned about getting anything in place. The only thing worse than the LBs and DBs tackling was the vanilla 3 man rush scheme last year with the joke they called coverage. When you are dropping 8 and still have out of position cover 0 on every team's best outside receiver with your worst corner you aren't thinking much about your scheme. A drunk Junior high coach would have done better. And don't get me started on Air Force.
Agreed! They seemed checked out from the start last season.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 21st, 2021, 9:54 am

AggiePT wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 9:15 am
hickaggie wrote:
stang wrote:
BLUERUFiO wrote:
trevordude wrote:
Well when the head coach came out and basically said that we should not be playing a season and was kind of begrudging when we did the only thing to take place was a disaster. Which is exactly how it played out.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 21st, 2021, 1:20 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 9:54 am
AggiePT wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 9:15 am
hickaggie wrote:
stang wrote:
BLUERUFiO wrote:
trevordude wrote:
Well when the head coach came out and basically said that we should not be playing a season and was kind of begrudging when we did the only thing to take place was a disaster. Which is exactly how it played out.
EXACTLY. He took every chance to could to proclaim that we would NOT be playing in 2020 OR the spring of 2021.

Locked Previous topicNext topic