Izzy Vaifoou arrested

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Re: Izzy Vaifoou arrested

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 19th, 2021, 5:04 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 3:13 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 2:28 pm
Yossarian wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 1:12 pm
April 19th, 2021, 1:00 pm
Yossarian wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 10:44 am
This reads like the plot to a bad 80's college campus comedy movie. Big, drunk guy doesn't know where he is and stumbles around in the dark and falls down in the bed of an unsuspecting coed.

Back then - we laughed at it on the big screen. Now - it ruins lives for years.

Not a pleasant night for the young lady, I'm sure.

Is "intoxication" a crime? The article stated Izzy was cited with "intoxication" - A Class C misdemeanor. I assume this means public intoxication, right? Or is it illegal to drink until drunk in Utah?

The university has gone to great lengths to try and prevent this type of thing from happening. The suite/apartment doors have automatic locks that engage when the door is closed. There are also locks on the individual bedroom doors that need a card key to access them. The kids find them to be a nuisance and tamper with them so they don't lock, making this very unfortunate event possible.
If he is guilty he should be punished severely. As for ruining his life, he can pick his life back up away from USU. What really ruins lives is being the victim of sexual assault. Nothing comparable to a comedy movie.
That's why i used the plural "lives".
"Back then - we laughed at it on the big screen. Now - it ruins lives for years."

The women I know who were sexually assaulted at college in the 80's would disagree that it is only now that it ruins lives. It still can cause trauma even decades later. Glad you saw a movie where sexual assault was funny though. Very hilarious.
Sandbox??
Nah, we can talk about a player who was literally just barely kicked off the team without moving it to the sandbox.

My daughter is very young, but when she lives out on her own, if some guy breaks into where she is living, you best believe her daddy will have bought her a Springfield XD that she will know how to use.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
USU78FloridaAggie13

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » April 19th, 2021, 5:06 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 2:48 pm
ViAggie wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 9:26 pm
One decision to binge drink can ruin your life and the life of others.
Plenty of men have been drunk before and never assaulted a Woman, that's no excuse
Yeah, drinking is not the problem in this situation. Lack of respect and of moral compass, combine with a disgusting sense of entitlement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So are you claiming that binge drinking doesn’t sometimes lead to poor decisions that can ruin lives?

Got it.
It can! More often than not though, people binge drink and then do not sexually assault someone.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 19th, 2021, 5:17 pm

Aglicious wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 2:45 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
This reads like the plot to a bad 80's college campus comedy movie. Big, drunk guy doesn't know where he is and stumbles around in the dark and falls down in the bed of an unsuspecting coed.

Is "intoxication" a crime? The article stated Izzy was cited with "intoxication" - A Class C misdemeanor. I assume this means public intoxication, right? Or is it illegal to drink until drunk in Utah?

The university has gone to great lengths to try and prevent this type of thing from happening. The suite/apartment doors have automatic locks that engage when the door is closed. There are also locks on the individual bedroom doors that need a card key to access them. The kids find them to be a nuisance and tamper with them so they don't lock, making this very unfortunate event possible.
If he is guilty he should be punished severely. As for ruining his life, he can pick his life back up away from USU. What really ruins lives is being the victim of sexual assault. Nothing comparable to a comedy movie.
"Back then - we laughed at it on the big screen. Now - it ruins lives for years."

The women I know who were sexually assaulted at college in the 80's would disagree that it is only now that it ruins lives. It still can cause trauma even decades later. Glad you saw a movie where rape was funny though. Very hilarious.
Wow. Yoss taking some backlash for his take. I feel like there's a colossal difference between this and say what Torrey Green was up to. Throwing around the word rape is pretty serious, especially when it has been reported that when asked if she wanted to have sex, the gal said no and told him to leave. In response he got dressed and left. I'm not going to speculate on what happened to get to the point of drunkenness that you are left wandering through hallways and rooms looking for where to lay down.

The whole thing could have gone differently if:
1. Izzy decides to not get black out drunk in the first place
2. Those he was with when getting to this state (if anyone) made sure he made it to his own bed

He should definitely be punished but lets not lump this in with rapists or perpetrators of serious sex crimes.
The article I saw said "Utah State University football player faces 8 charges, including rape."

"Authorities also filed one count of burglary, three counts of forcible sex abuse, two counts of criminal trespassing and entering, and one count of intoxication against Ismael (Izzy) Kalani Vaifo’ou. Of those charges, five are felonies and three are misdemeanors."

If this information is wrong, I apologize, but it sure looks pretty damn serious.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » April 19th, 2021, 5:59 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 5:06 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
Plenty of men have been drunk before and never assaulted a Woman, that's no excuse
Yeah, drinking is not the problem in this situation. Lack of respect and of moral compass, combine with a disgusting sense of entitlement.

So are you claiming that binge drinking doesn’t sometimes lead to poor decisions that can ruin lives?

Got it.
It can! More often than not though, people binge drink and then do not sexually assault someone.

But it’s also true that it isn’t uncommon that people do regretful things when binging. In most cases the harm done is relatively benign. I’ve certainly done things I’ve regretted while intoxicated- and I had consequences that were relatively minor given my relatively minor offenses. (Ie offending someone, accidentally breaking something)

In this case the harm done was more significant and deserves more severe consequences.

My only point was to illustrate how one bad decision (binge drinking) can lead to worse more consequential decisions.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 19th, 2021, 6:41 pm

April 19th, 2021, 5:17 pm
Aglicious wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

The women I know who were sexually assaulted at college in the 80's would disagree that it is only now that it ruins lives. It still can cause trauma even decades later. Glad you saw a movie where rape was funny though. Very hilarious.
Wow. Yoss taking some backlash for his take. I feel like there's a colossal difference between this and say what Torrey Green was up to. Throwing around the word rape is pretty serious, especially when it has been reported that when asked if she wanted to have sex, the gal said no and told him to leave. In response he got dressed and left. I'm not going to speculate on what happened to get to the point of drunkenness that you are left wandering through hallways and rooms looking for where to lay down.

2. Those he was with when getting to this state (if anyone) made sure he made it to his own bed

He should definitely be punished but lets not lump this in with rapists or perpetrators of serious sex crimes.
The article I saw said "Utah State University football player faces 8 charges, including rape."

"Authorities also filed one count of burglary, three counts of forcible sex abuse, two counts of criminal trespassing and entering, and one count of intoxication against Ismael (Izzy) Kalani Vaifo’ou. Of those charges, five are felonies and three are misdemeanors."

If this information is wrong, I apologize, but it sure looks pretty damn serious.
Everything I read has reported that he entered two different rooms. He left the first one after asking if he was supposed to be in there and they replied "who the hell are you?". He then entered the second bedroom where he proceeded to climb into bed with what appears so far to be a complete stranger in his underwear. She claims he touched her under her clothing and he claims it was over her clothing. Sexual assault in either case. She booted him out after waking up and he got dressed and left. I have not seen rape being reported.

This article was just updated an hour ago: https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-new ... ampus-dorm
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiJSHarvey

blueblood

Post by blueblood » April 19th, 2021, 6:53 pm

Aglicious wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

Not to downplay the seriousness of what happened and I have only completed my third year of law school (a story for another day). But I would guess that when everything is said and done at least half of those charges will be dropped.

These users thanked the author blueblood for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » April 19th, 2021, 7:10 pm

I doubt charges will be dropped for lack of evidence. I can see a plea bargain in exchange for a guilty plea though. The locks weren't tampered with. Some residents were taping over the door latch to allow easier access. As far as alcohol, I can unequivocally say that it was the catalyst for everything that happened. Can't be downplayed as some suggest.
Last edited by Ahbye on April 20th, 2021, 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Ahbye for the post (total 7):
aggies22Aggie formerly in HawaiiUSU78Agliciouscrazywookiehipsterdoofus21FloridaAggie13

stang

Post by stang » April 19th, 2021, 7:23 pm

Ahbye wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 7:10 pm
I doubt charges will be dropped for lack of evidence. It's all on video. I can see a plea bargain in exchange for a guilty plea though. The locks weren't tampered with. Some residents were taping over the door latch to allow easier access. As far as alcohol, I can unequivocally say that it was the catalyst for everything that happened. Can't be downplayed as some suggest.
I don't think that anyone is downplaying the role of alcohol in this incident. Rather pointing out that him being drunk doesn't excuse bad behavior, nor should it lessen the punishment.
These users thanked the author stang for the post:
Ahbye

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » April 19th, 2021, 7:44 pm

Remember Bernard King? Skated down to misdemeanor attempted sexual assault instead of rape, sodomy, and first degree kidnapping. All because he was a coke fiend.

Diminished capacity defense always was immoral.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » April 19th, 2021, 7:51 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:

Got it.

But it’s also true that it isn’t uncommon that people do regretful things when binging. In most cases the harm done is relatively benign. I’ve certainly done things I’ve regretted while intoxicated- and I had consequences that were relatively minor given my relatively minor offenses. (Ie offending someone, accidentally breaking something)

In this case the harm done was more significant and deserves more severe consequences.

My only point was to illustrate how one bad decision (binge drinking) can lead to worse more consequential decisions.
I think you’re absolutely right about that, one bad decision can certainly lead to something much worse.

cval

Post by cval » April 19th, 2021, 8:12 pm

USU78 wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 7:44 pm
Remember Bernard King? Skated down to misdemeanor attempted sexual assault instead of rape, sodomy, and first degree kidnapping. All because he was a coke fiend.

Well, in that day and age it was probably more because he was a famous athlete. Coke was just the excuse given.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » April 19th, 2021, 9:05 pm

cval wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 8:12 pm
USU78 wrote:

Well, in that day and age it was probably more because he was a famous athlete. Coke was just the excuse given.
I have personal knowledge on that one. The Jazz shipped his @rse out as soon as they negotiated fair value. He went to the big city where he could hide it in the crowd.

The SLCo prosecutor screwed the pooch. The girl's lawyer did a bang up job. I was inspired to go to law school. She returned to SoCal after her mission with a couple of shekels. Yeah, I nursed a crush on her.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
FloridaAggie13

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 19th, 2021, 11:26 pm

USU78 wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 9:05 pm
cval wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 8:12 pm
USU78 wrote:

I have personal knowledge on that one. The Jazz shipped his @rse out as soon as they negotiated fair value. He went to the big city where he could hide it in the crowd.

The SLCo prosecutor screwed the pooch. The girl's lawyer did a bang up job. I was inspired to go to law school. She returned to SoCal after her mission with a couple of shekels. Yeah, I nursed a crush on her.
You and 1972Aggiegrad should be partners in a case together. That would be a reality show I would watch.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » April 20th, 2021, 1:13 pm

I'm glad he was swiftly kicked off the team. There should be ZERO tolerance. GTFOH. Pick up the pieces of your life on someone else's dime someplace else.

I feel bad for the woman he assaulted. That had to have been terrifying. Can you imagine waking up to some football player sized stranger in your bed feeling you up? Sick.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post (total 6):
ProvoAggieAgliciousAggie formerly in Hawaiihipsterdoofus21FloridaAggie13CastIronAggie

Formerly TulsAGGIE

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » April 20th, 2021, 1:22 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:I'm glad he was swiftly kicked off the team. There should be ZERO tolerance. GTFOH. Pick up the pieces of your life on someone else's dime someplace else.

I feel bad for the woman he assaulted. That had to have been terrifying. Can you imagine waking up to some football player sized stranger in your bed feeling you up? Sick.
Agreed!

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 20th, 2021, 2:44 pm

Ahbye wrote:
I doubt charges will be dropped for lack of evidence. I can see a plea bargain in exchange for a guilty plea though. The locks weren't tampered with. Some residents were taping over the door latch to allow easier access. As far as alcohol, I can unequivocally say that it was the catalyst for everything that happened. Can't be downplayed as some suggest.
If the locking mechanisms weren't tampered with, how does a complete stranger that is obviously impaired gain access to first, the apartment suite, then into not one, but two private bedrooms (both presumably having locking mechanisms). He as asked to get out of the first one, according to the story. Did you break a door down? Overpower someone at the door and barge in? Or was he invited in? The story said nobody knew him? Just an unfortunate situation all the way around.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
JSHarvey

Eutaw St. Aggie

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » April 20th, 2021, 3:22 pm

Yossarian wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 2:44 pm
Ahbye wrote:
If the locking mechanisms weren't tampered with, how does a complete stranger that is obviously impaired gain access to first, the apartment suite, then into not one, but two private bedrooms (both presumably having locking mechanisms). He as asked to get out of the first one, according to the story. Did you break a door down? Overpower someone at the door and barge in? Or was he invited in? The story said nobody knew him? Just an unfortunate situation all the way around.
From a legal perspective, it won't matter, unless he was invited in, but that doesn't sound like what happened.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 20th, 2021, 3:27 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 3:22 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Ahbye wrote:
From a legal perspective, it won't matter, unless he was invited in, but that doesn't sound like what happened.
I was more wondering what happened? It doesn't make a lot of sense from what I read. And it certainly doesn't make the situation any better for all involved.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 20th, 2021, 3:42 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Ahbye wrote:
According to Ahbye, he is saying the actual card readers/locking mechanisms were not tampered with. The residents were instead using tape over the door latch so the door could simply be pushed open without the use of the card in the reader.

My assumption is that this is a fairly common practice among students if he knew he could randomly push on doors to see if they opened.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 20th, 2021, 4:31 pm

Aglicious wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 3:42 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Ahbye wrote:
According to Ahbye, he is saying the actual card readers/locking mechanisms were not tampered with. The residents were instead using tape over the door latch so the door could simply be pushed open without the use of the card in the reader.

My assumption is that this is a fairly common practice among students if he knew he could randomly push on doors to see if they opened.
That's what I figured. Like I said in my first post - the University had gone to some length to protect against this very thing from happening. The people involved obviously did not want that protection. Now - it has lasting impacts on at least two lives. Knowing someone that did something similar to what Izzy did, I can say that his life for the foreseeable future is not going to be pleasant. The boys in Bluffdale are not going to be fun and the ones in charge of keeping order there are going to treat him lower than the most vile animal. Then, the system is going to make it extremely difficult for him to get his life back in order. It is not as simple as doing your time and then picking up the pieces and finding a job and moving on. I can see how so many end right back up in the system. It doesn't matter how much good you did before your mistake or how gentle and God-fearing of an individual you are before that mistake, the system treats you like a life-long hardened criminal. The girl will have the sleepless nights and paranoia of dealing with an unwanted assault that will weigh heavy on her, as well. I just hope it wasn't rape or something even more damaging than unwanted touching.

Eutaw St. Aggie

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » April 20th, 2021, 5:07 pm

Aglicious wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Ahbye wrote:

That was a very common practice when I lived in Mountain View Tower over a decade ago.

MalAgua

Post by MalAgua » April 20th, 2021, 6:10 pm

aggieguy13 wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 5:07 pm
Aglicious wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Ahbye wrote:

That was a very common practice when I lived in Mountain View Tower over a decade ago.
Also common in my day 15-18 years ago, a simple flat fridge magnet worked great. Although, we didn’t leave them on overnight usually.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » April 20th, 2021, 11:23 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:

Got it.

While that may be true, over 50% of college sexual assaults are associated with alcohol use. Let's not sugar coat the blight that college drinking is on campuses everywhere. Even one binge-induced sexual assault is one too many and over 50% of them on campuses are fueled by binge-drinking culture being celebrated on U.S. campuses.
These users thanked the author jpswensen for the post (total 4):
AhbyeUSU78FloridaAggie13CastIronAggie

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 21st, 2021, 7:55 am

I feel awful for both the girl and Izzy. I just hope both can heal from this and not let this event define their lives going forward and both can use it to help others.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 2):
slcaggBustaMcNutt

Locked Previous topicNext topic