This may sound dumb: program energy

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Madmartigan

This may sound dumb: program energy

Post by Madmartigan » April 26th, 2021, 12:58 pm

@Roy McAvoy, @Intermeddler and I chatted briefly about this, but there is a palpable buzz/positive energy going around the football program right now.

The last time I remember Aggie fans feeling this way was right before the 2012 season. We'd qualified for a bowl and returned loads of talent. GA 1.0 had installed his schemes fully and we had a healthy Chuckie Keeton coming back. While I'm in no way predicting a double digit win season, but I think the football program is very much on a fast upward trajectory. I am really happy with our staff and the level of recruit we are winning.

With a healthy Bonner all year, I think we win 7 games and our attendance starts to trend upward compared to the last time we were allowed to attend games in person.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post (total 7):
aggies22ViAggieIntermeddlerBLUERUFiOslcaggAussieAggieDadRoy McAvoy

sammyhagar

Re: This may sound dumb: program energy

Post by sammyhagar » April 26th, 2021, 1:09 pm

I don't live in the valley to feel the vibe among the locals, but the people I do talk to feel the same way.
Coach A seems to be a top notch human being, great assistant coaches....proud to be an Aggie
These users thanked the author sammyhagar for the post:
ViAggie

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » April 26th, 2021, 1:21 pm

Program energy can be so infectious. I see nothing wrong with some good attitudes mixed with real time optimism.

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » April 26th, 2021, 1:33 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
April 26th, 2021, 12:58 pm
@Roy McAvoy, @Intermeddler and I chatted briefly about this, but there is a palpable buzz/positive energy going around the football program right now.

The last time I remember Aggie fans feeling this way was right before the 2012 season. We'd qualified for a bowl and returned loads of talent. GA 1.0 had installed his schemes fully and we had a healthy Chuckie Keeton coming back. While I'm in no way predicting a double digit win season, but I think the football program is very much on a fast upward trajectory. I am really happy with our staff and the level of recruit we are winning.

With a healthy Bonner all year, I think we win 7 games and our attendance starts to trend upward compared to the last time we were allowed to attend games in person.
How has no one made a joke about this yet?

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » April 26th, 2021, 1:43 pm

Good conversation.

5-6 months ago:

1. Our head coach abruptly quit (or so I was told and the "firing" was to save face, Aggies22 chime in here if I am wrong)
2. Our Interim HC demoted our OC, who got Covid, and then quit and our offense improved
3. We had our worst season since 2006 on the field
4. We had a player revolt over replacing GA
5. We forfeited a game
6. Recruiting was basically an afterthought and we had little in the pipeline and no recruiting momentum
7. We had a number of significant players put their names in the portal
8. Our starting QB performed about as poorly as possible at the college level and got kicked off the team

Now, we have probably the most engaging and energetic staff we have ever had. Our Head Coach seems more like GA 1.0 than 2.0, we have become a desired destination for P5 transfers landing guys from Michigan, Miami, Texas, and others (when can basketball start doing this?), it seems like we are going to run out of spots in our recruiting classes faster than ever with guys who want in, some guys opted back in after meeting with the new staff, and it seems the Maile controversy is behind us.

To be seen what we do on the field, and I am a little worried that we might have a rough year if Bonner can't upgrade our QB position significantly, but there is a ton of positive energy around the program right now.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post (total 3):
AggieArmyAussieAggieDadUSU78

sammyhagar

Post by sammyhagar » April 26th, 2021, 2:10 pm

you cant make this stuff up......so true.....

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 26th, 2021, 2:11 pm

I will add that you would think that on top of the guys who got to the point of officially announcing they are entering the portal, there were some that were leaning towards leaving then won back over with the new staff.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » April 26th, 2021, 2:17 pm

I also think the team will get bigger, faster and stronger in the offseason with the new S&C coach.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 26th, 2021, 2:19 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
April 26th, 2021, 2:17 pm
I also think the team will get bigger, faster and stronger in the offseason with the new S&C coach.
citius, altius, fortius

(well, maybe not altius - we have been down that road before).

Eutaw St. Aggie

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » April 26th, 2021, 3:31 pm

I really do believe that Coach A will get us back to the top 25 again and win a MWC championship. When he will, though, is the real question.. This rebuild is going to take some time and patience.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 26th, 2021, 3:45 pm

I believe it. I don't know if it will happen as quickly as many on here do, but it sure seems like a great staff. A proven winner as the HC and two great proven coordinators along with some great position coaches. We won't really know until the games are played, but this coaching staff has certainly won the offseason for what that is worth.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
JSHarvey

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » April 26th, 2021, 4:44 pm

Be competitive in all, and win any one of the WSU, Boise, or BYU games and people will really start to rally around the flag.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 26th, 2021, 4:46 pm

SwaggieAggie wrote:
April 26th, 2021, 3:31 pm
I really do believe that Coach A will get us back to the top 25 again and win a MWC championship. When he will, though, is the real question.. This rebuild is going to take some time and patience.
Yeah I still think it will be a challenge to win 7 games next year. Fans are so excited which is great, but some on here have set themselves up for a letdown if we go 5-7, which to me would be a great step in the right direction in year one.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 26th, 2021, 5:05 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 26th, 2021, 4:46 pm

Yeah I still think it will be a challenge to win 7 games next year. Fans are so excited which is great, but some on here have set themselves up for a letdown if we go 5-7, which to me would be a great step in the right direction in year one.
Especially if we are a few plays away from winning some of the 7.

stang

Post by stang » April 26th, 2021, 5:24 pm

I've noticed a lot of the same things and I tend to agree. I have many friends, family members, co-workers, etc. who I love talking Aggies with, and there seems to be a very real optimism right now with most of them.

Blake isn't going around doing 10 interviews and podcasts a week, and he isn't spamming everyone on social media to try to drum up excitement, he's just doing his thing and I think people can see how genuine he and his staff are. Is this team going to win 10 games and compete for a title this year? Probably not. But it's nice to at least feel like things are moving in the right direction.
These users thanked the author stang for the post (total 2):
IntermeddlerJSHarvey

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » April 26th, 2021, 5:53 pm

I think the recruits the staff has brought in has given people a lot of hope.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 26th, 2021, 6:47 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
April 26th, 2021, 2:17 pm
This is an excellent post. I think this was a home run hire. Maybe we will even get the pictures again come late July.

ususports

Post by ususports » April 26th, 2021, 7:06 pm

AgMan21 wrote:
April 26th, 2021, 1:33 pm
Madmartigan wrote:

Because he is an Aggie and he is our QB.

coolag

Post by coolag » April 26th, 2021, 8:07 pm

ususports wrote:
April 26th, 2021, 7:06 pm
AgMan21 wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:

Because he is an Aggie and he is our QB.
Uhhhhhhhhhhhh............

Regulator of Class

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » April 26th, 2021, 8:27 pm

AgMan21 wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:

Because we’re not in 8th grade?

Nobody here knows anything.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 26th, 2021, 8:53 pm

The energy is a lot better now than in December. Not sure how it will translate onto the field, but the fact is BA and his staff have completely knocked it out of the park so far. It truly does seem the like the players are buying in, I obviously have no inside knowledge of this, but from the outside it sure looks like it. Not sure how it will translate into wins on the field, but I think we are going to be pretty dang competitive.

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » April 26th, 2021, 9:00 pm

OKAggie wrote:
AgMan21 wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:

Haha you and I have been reading very different boards over the last decade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 27th, 2021, 4:07 pm

It doesn’t sound dumb. I hope we are good, but people need to remember just how bad we sucked last year in setting expectations.

We will definitely win more than one game!
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
JSHarvey

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » April 27th, 2021, 4:18 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 27th, 2021, 4:07 pm
It doesn’t sound dumb. I hope we are good, but people need to remember just how bad we sucked last year in setting expectations.

I’m certainly optimistic, the quarterback and O line seem to be the biggest question mark right now. I’m hoping for 6 win season and maybe a bowl, that would be a huge success in my opinion.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 27th, 2021, 4:24 pm

FL350Aggie wrote:
April 27th, 2021, 4:18 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:

I’m certainly optimistic, the quarterback and O line seem to be the biggest question mark right now. I’m hoping for 6 win season and maybe a bowl, that would be a huge success in my opinion.
Same.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 27th, 2021, 4:46 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:

Yep. A winning season next year would be incredible, but expecting a one year turnaround from 1 to 7 is a big jump. (I know we didnt' play a full season, but our team wasn't winning more than 2 games tops last year)

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 27th, 2021, 4:49 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 27th, 2021, 4:46 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:

Yep. A winning season next year would be incredible, but expecting a one year turnaround from 1 to 7 is a big jump. (I know we didnt' play a full season, but our team wasn't winning more than 2 games tops last year)
My expectation is 4 wins. That would show improvement over last year.

6 wins would be very satisfying. 7 would be “extend Anderson now” territory.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » April 28th, 2021, 11:17 am

AgMan21 wrote:
April 26th, 2021, 9:00 pm
OKAggie wrote:
AgMan21 wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:

Haha you and I have been reading very different boards over the last decade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're supposed to call a doctor if it lasts more than 4 hours.....A full year?

Well, I'm not going to call a doc, if she dies, she dies..... :anonymous:
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post:
AgMan21

Locked Previous topicNext topic