Roster Construct and Formations

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » July 12th, 2021, 10:14 am

What can the roster tell us about possible formations and philosophy if anything? Do we already know and I am :crazy: ?
It stuck out to me that there are 9 safeties on the roster and another commit recently with Mcgary - would we expect to see a lot of 3 safety sets, or do we have a group of the safeties playing in the slot?
We only have 4 guys listed as OLB, but we have 8 DE and and 8 ILB- does this possibly mean a lot more Nickel sets or will we see a variation of the 4-2-5 with an additional safety instead of 2 OLB's or something.
Are there things we can deduct from the roster or are we just using different labels for guys who will be a DB in one set and a NB in another? or DE vs OLB?
If we plan to run multiple- Would it be possible that we a have a group of guys designated as OLB in just 3-4 sets and that's it? etc.
I have a decent understanding of football defenses, but there is still a lot I don't understand, feel free to tell me I'm overthinking it and I should just pound sand. I just thought it could make for some interesting conversation.
These users thanked the author CaptainChaos for the post:
aggies22

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: Roster Construct and Formations

Post by aggies22 » July 12th, 2021, 11:25 am

CaptainChaos wrote:
July 12th, 2021, 10:14 am
What can the roster tell us about possible formations and philosophy if anything? Do we already know and I am :crazy: ?
It stuck out to me that there are 9 safeties on the roster and another commit recently with Mcgary - would we expect to see a lot of 3 safety sets, or do we have a group of the safeties playing in the slot?
We only have 4 guys listed as OLB, but we have 8 DE and and 8 ILB- does this possibly mean a lot more Nickel sets or will we see a variation of the 4-2-5 with an additional safety instead of 2 OLB's or something.
Are there things we can deduct from the roster or are we just using different labels for guys who will be a DB in one set and a NB in another? or DE vs OLB?
If we plan to run multiple- Would it be possible that we a have a group of guys designated as OLB in just 3-4 sets and that's it? etc.
I have a decent understanding of football defenses, but there is still a lot I don't understand, feel free to tell me I'm overthinking it and I should just pound sand. I just thought it could make for some interesting conversation.
Pound sand. JUST PLAYING my Aggie brother!! An emphasis has been placed on defensive depth. With the offense intending to run plays faster than we've ever seen before. The coaching staff wants to ensure that enough depth is on the defensive side of the ball and that we don't really have 1st and 2nd Team guys, we have Starter A and Starter B. So when Starter A needs a rest Starter B can check in and we don't have nearly as big of a drop off in talent as we have had in the past.

Being able to go solidly two deep across the defensive front for is huge for us. The guys listed at OLB are really the striker position. The ILBs may be a little thin this year. At cornerback and safety each of them goes eight or nine deep so we'll have plenty of talent to rotate and keep that group fresh and not tire out like they have done in the past. Again the Starter A and Starter B theory.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » July 12th, 2021, 11:57 am

I was just noticing the guys they have listed at that OLB position. So that may explain the number of recruits at the safety spots- 5 deep at each safety spot seems excessive, but really some of them may end up at the "striker" position, so it makes sense.
I played safety and punt return in my day so I really like the added depth on defense and the philosophy behind having additional guys there- I think it can really help on special teams as well. If I were a defensive coach I'd be super excited about this approach.
Like I said my knowledge is limited- I only had one piece of input to offer when I played- If they ever asked me for my input I'd say run a safety blitz.
These users thanked the author CaptainChaos for the post:
aggies22

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » July 12th, 2021, 12:14 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
July 12th, 2021, 11:57 am
I was just noticing the guys they have listed at that OLB position. So that may explain the number of recruits at the safety spots- 5 deep at each safety spot seems excessive, but really some of them may end up at the "striker" position, so it makes sense.
I played safety and punt return in my day so I really like the added depth on defense and the philosophy behind having additional guys there- I think it can really help on special teams as well. If I were a defensive coach I'd be super excited about this approach.
Like I said my knowledge is limited- I only had one piece of input to offer when I played- If they ever asked me for my input I'd say run a safety blitz.
Don't forget the redshirt "bank" in certain positions. If you need 4 for home game depth, but have 5 on the roster, at least one of those guys will be "banked," and probably one other won't be on the travelling squad, so, for example, we have [maybe] the following at the FS position:

Reynolds
Tatum
Carter
Green
Wakley

I'm guessing Wakley redshirts, and it's between Carter and Green on who doesn't make the travel squad. Right, 22?

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » July 12th, 2021, 1:41 pm

If Banda constructs the defense like Diaz did at Miami then I would expect his goal would be to have the following scholarship allocation:

DE: 9
DT: 7

One or two DL would be able to swing inside on clear passing downs.

CB: 8-9
Safety: 7-8
Striker: 3

Linebacker: 8-9

You would rarely see 3 linebackers on the field at once. I think their most frequent package is nickel plus a striker and 5 LB or DL in some proportion

Of course, there are more teams that are primarily run teams in our league. Air Force, Wyoming, New Mexico, SDSU, and maybe a couple others might force a couple linebackers on the field. But I would expect us to be much heavier in numbers along the DL and DB spots and reduced heavily at LB both from moving away from a 3-4 and that his system would pull them off the field a lot.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post:
aggies22

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » July 12th, 2021, 1:55 pm

USU78 wrote:
July 12th, 2021, 12:14 pm
CaptainChaos wrote:
July 12th, 2021, 11:57 am
Don't forget the redshirt "bank" in certain positions. If you need 4 for home game depth, but have 5 on the roster, at least one of those guys will be "banked," and probably one other won't be on the travelling squad, so, for example, we have [maybe] the following at the FS position:

Reynolds
Tatum
Carter
Green
Wakley

I'm guessing Wakley redshirts, and it's between Carter and Green on who doesn't make the travel squad. Right, 22?
This is what I anticipate at field safety.

25 Jarrod Green (5-11, 180, So., 2L, 2*) OR
23 Dominic Tatum (6-2, 175, So., 1L, 3*)
00 Monte McGary (6-2, 175, Jr., TR, NR)
28 Crew Wakley (6-0, 195, Fr., HS, 2*)
20 Keith Harris (5-10, 185, RsFr., RS, 3*)
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
USU78

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » July 14th, 2021, 9:17 am

CaptainChaos wrote:
This is a great topic. It gets right to the issue that I'm obsessing about. The difference in terminology can make it difficult for us to discuss. Not everyone is going to be on the same page with the positions and their responsibilities. I'd love to see film from the spring game to see the sets with my own eyes, that would give us some better idea of what's coming, but there doesn't seem to be much out there.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » July 14th, 2021, 10:02 am

El Sapo wrote:
July 14th, 2021, 9:17 am
CaptainChaos wrote:
This is a great topic. It gets right to the issue that I'm obsessing about. The difference in terminology can make it difficult for us to discuss. Not everyone is going to be on the same page with the positions and their responsibilities. I'd love to see film from the spring game to see the sets with my own eyes, that would give us some better idea of what's coming, but there doesn't seem to be much out there.
I'm pretty sure that the lack of film from spring is done by design.

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » July 14th, 2021, 10:23 am

Doesn't matter what formation we use, we need to get after the QBs.
These users thanked the author Blitz79 for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » July 14th, 2021, 10:44 am

Blitz79 wrote:
July 14th, 2021, 10:23 am
This is exactly correct. We are kidding ourselves if we think the defense is going to hold teams to 15-20 points a game. The whole purpose of this defense for Banda is going to get pressure on the QB often enough to force some punts and create turnovers. We will give up some points and long drive, but to me the biggest factor of success with our defense is can we create turnovers and get sacks to force 3rd and long situations.. If we win the turnover battle this year we will be successful in my opinion.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
El SapoBLUERUFiO

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » July 14th, 2021, 11:14 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
Blitz79 wrote:
July 14th, 2021, 10:23 am
This is exactly correct. We are kidding ourselves if we think the defense is going to hold teams to 15-20 points a game. The whole purpose of this defense for Banda is going to get pressure on the QB often enough to force some punts and create turnovers. We will give up some points and long drive, but to me the biggest factor of success with our defense is can we create turnovers and get sacks to force 3rd and long situations.. If we win the turnover battle this year we will be successful in my opinion.
Our defense does need to improve and I think it will but the area we need to improve the most is on offense. Look at our offense vs defense points per game over the last 3 years:

2018 - Offense: 47.5 , Defense: 22.2
2019 - Offense: 29.2 , Defense: 30.7
2020 - Offense: 15.5 , Defense: 35.2

Two year change in offense ppg = -32
Two year change in defense ppg = +13

I’m hopeful in year 1 under Anderson we can get back to out scoring our opponents and average above 30 ppg on offense and hold other teams below 30.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
El Sapo

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » July 14th, 2021, 1:00 pm

aggies22 wrote:
July 14th, 2021, 10:02 am
El Sapo wrote:
CaptainChaos wrote:
I've never let a lack of actual information stop me from forming opinions, so here goes my take. This defense is going to be weak against the run. Maybe by design. We'll encourage our opponents to run the ball by placing only 6 players in the box (run defenders) and keeping 5 back in pass coverage. It's going to be interesting to see how that strategy matches up with our hyper speed offense. The design of our defensive scheme and the offensive scheme means that our defense will probably be on the field a long time.

That could change if we get an impact player or 2 in that front 6. Somebody who can pressure the QB and/or disrupt the running game . We only need 1 or 2 guys on D to win their matchups to go from mediocre to contender.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » July 14th, 2021, 1:16 pm

El Sapo wrote:
July 14th, 2021, 1:00 pm
aggies22 wrote:
El Sapo wrote:
CaptainChaos wrote:
I've never let a lack of actual information stop me from forming opinions, so here goes my take. This defense is going to be weak against the run. Maybe by design. We'll encourage our opponents to run the ball by placing only 6 players in the box (run defenders) and keeping 5 back in pass coverage. It's going to be interesting to see how that strategy matches up with our hyper speed offense. The design of our defensive scheme and the offensive scheme means that our defense will probably be on the field a long time.

That could change if we get an impact player or 2 in that front 6. Somebody who can pressure the QB and/or disrupt the running game . We only need 1 or 2 guys on D to win their matchups to go from mediocre to contender.
I hope we have a different strategy against AF

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » July 14th, 2021, 1:25 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
July 14th, 2021, 1:16 pm
El Sapo wrote:
July 14th, 2021, 1:00 pm
aggies22 wrote:
El Sapo wrote:
CaptainChaos wrote:

I hope we have a different strategy against AF
I hope for a different strategy against AF as well. The last 2 games against them have been completely embarrassing. I hope Banda has a good game plan and the players some pride to take it to Douche Calhoun.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
Sl7vk

USUaggie

Post by USUaggie » July 14th, 2021, 4:10 pm

If we have clearly superior personnel on defense then I don't mind a conservative scheme. We can get enough stops. Otherwise it is a recipe for disaster, especially when combined with a hurry up offense. Like the last couple of years, we give up touchdowns after a long, time consuming drive at a high rate. We just don't get enough stops. The defense in on the field way too long and is totally worn out towards the end of the game.

We are better off with an aggressive scheme where we get turnovers, give up quick touchdowns, or force quick punts. Our percentage rate of giving up scores is lower. We get the ball back in the hands of our fast paced offense quicker and more often. This gives us a better chance of out scoring the opponent. And it is fun to watch!

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » July 14th, 2021, 6:42 pm

During the spring game, I noticed our two outside recievers both lined up outside the numbers, no matter where the ball was between the hashes. Kind of took one WR out of the picture

Not sent from Tapatalk

Full

Post by Full » July 14th, 2021, 8:48 pm

trevordude wrote:
July 14th, 2021, 6:42 pm
During the spring game, I noticed our two outside receivers both lined up outside the numbers, no matter where the ball was between the hashes. Kind of took one WR out of the picture
I watched some UCF highlights of last season and saw a lot of this (not always), but with all day to throw against AAC defenses they got the ball all over the field even if it was on the fifth read. I saw a few sacks when the defense got pressure that I think USU could expect. I hope we have the blocking, a QB that can keep defenses honest, and receivers that can catch the ball. UCF averaged over 40 points a game. The split out receivers were also useful in the run game to take a defender out of the play as well (the WR blocking was good). In any case, it looked better than the USU offensive strategy of not having any deep threat. I would rather see all of the field utilized.
These users thanked the author Full for the post:
BustaMcNutt

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » July 14th, 2021, 9:21 pm

Full wrote:
trevordude wrote:
During the spring game, I noticed our two outside receivers both lined up outside the numbers, no matter where the ball was between the hashes. Kind of took one WR out of the picture
I watched some UCF highlights of last season and saw a lot of this (not always), but with all day to throw against AAC defenses they got the ball all over the field even if it was on the fifth read. I saw a few sacks when the defense got pressure that I think USU could expect. I hope we have the blocking, a QB that can keep defenses honest, and receivers that can catch the ball. UCF averaged over 40 points a game. The split out receivers were also useful in the run game to take a defender out of the play as well (the WR blocking was good). In any case, it looked better than the USU offensive strategy of not having any deep threat. I would rather see all of the field utilized.
17 receivers on the roster- so they don’t seem to be skimping on this WR position on offense. I’d prefer to have more Oline but I can also understand wanting a deep pool of skill position guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » July 14th, 2021, 10:20 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
Full wrote:
trevordude wrote:
17 receivers on the roster- so they don’t seem to be skimping on this WR position on offense. I’d prefer to have more Oline but I can also understand wanting a deep pool of skill position guys.

Regarding wide receivers, Arky State has had some great receiving corps over recent years. Last season they had 14 on the roster and only 3 of them were under 6’. UCF had 17 receivers with 5 of them under 6’. USU currently has 17 receivers with 9 under 6’.
Not saying size is everything but just pointing this out.
aggies22

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » July 14th, 2021, 10:52 pm

I’m not saying this is the case I’m just asking… would you rather have a D1 guy that is 6’ at WR, or would you rather have a D1 WR at 5’7” with sub 4.5 speed?

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » July 15th, 2021, 12:50 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
July 14th, 2021, 10:52 pm
I’m not saying this is the case I’m just asking… would you rather have a D1 guy that is 6’ at WR, or would you rather have a D1 WR at 5’7” with sub 4.5 speed?

You want the WR who is quicker. Speed and/or size is great, but if you're looking for the difference between getting open and being covered? It's quickness that gets you separation. It's why guys like Jerry Rice and Tim Brown could play effectively after they lost their speed. It's also why McGriff struggles to separate.

AggiePT

Post by AggiePT » July 16th, 2021, 9:10 am

El Sapo wrote:
July 15th, 2021, 12:50 pm
CaptainChaos wrote:

You want the WR who is quicker. Speed and/or size is great, but if you're looking for the difference between getting open and being covered? It's quickness that gets you separation. It's why guys like Jerry Rice and Tim Brown could play effectively after they lost their speed. It's also why McGriff struggles to separate.
I agree. I think a QB would rather throw to a WR with an extra step of separation than to one with an extra 6 inches of catch radius but minimal separation. Contested catches are just much more difficult. I think our new offense is going to be all about getting guys in open space. Speed, speed, speed, baby!!
These users thanked the author AggiePT for the post:
BLUERUFiO

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » July 16th, 2021, 12:45 pm

AggiePT wrote:
El Sapo wrote:
CaptainChaos wrote:

I agree. I think a QB would rather throw to a WR with an extra step of separation than to one with an extra 6 inches of catch radius but minimal separation. Contested catches are just much more difficult. I think our new offense is going to be all about getting guys in open space. Speed, speed, speed, baby!!
Don’t get me wrong, I want some of those “lightning in a bottle” kind of weapons at receiver as well. I also think a well balanced team has a mix of small quick twitch guys (under 5’11”), mid size freakish athletes with speed (5’11”-6’2”), and some lengthy jump ball and power receivers (over 6’2”). We do have some of each of these on the roster it’s just that most of our most proven guys are mighty mites.

Compact: DT, J Nathan, Bowling, Kyle VL, Nyny, Walchli, Payton Davis, Franky Jacobsen

Mid Range Athletes: Scarver, Wright, Nance, Patrick Jr, Hadnot

Power Receivers: McGriff, Sean Carter, Otto Tia, Randolph

I hope a few of our mid size and power guys can emerge.

USU78

Post by USU78 » July 16th, 2021, 1:02 pm

Sean Carter? Power guy? Huh?

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » July 16th, 2021, 1:10 pm

USU78 wrote:Sean Carter? Power guy? Huh?
Lol, you get my point. Ok so maybe I should have used “tall” instead of “power”. He is one of our taller receivers at 6’3”, but maybe not the most powerful. I remember we all had false hopes of him stepping in and filling the Tarver roll.
USU78

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » July 16th, 2021, 1:11 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
July 16th, 2021, 1:10 pm
Lol, you get my point. Ok so maybe I should have used “tall” instead of “power”. He is one of our taller receivers at 6’3”, but maybe not the most powerful. I remember we all had false hopes of him stepping in and filling the Tarver roll.
Sean Carter should never see the field.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 16th, 2021, 1:30 pm

aggies22 wrote:
July 16th, 2021, 1:11 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
Another fail of recruiting a bigger jc receiver who had little to no jc production.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 16th, 2021, 1:31 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
July 16th, 2021, 12:45 pm
AggiePT wrote:
El Sapo wrote:
CaptainChaos wrote:

Don’t get me wrong, I want some of those “lightning in a bottle” kind of weapons at receiver as well. I also think a well balanced team has a mix of small quick twitch guys (under 5’11”), mid size freakish athletes with speed (5’11”-6’2”), and some lengthy jump ball and power receivers (over 6’2”). We do have some of each of these on the roster it’s just that most of our most proven guys are mighty mites.

Compact: DT, J Nathan, Bowling, Kyle VL, Nyny, Walchli, Payton Davis, Franky Jacobsen

Nance is a speed guy if I recall correctly. Just a little bigger than 5’8”.

USU78

Post by USU78 » July 16th, 2021, 1:39 pm

aggies22 wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
Why is he still here again? I forget.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » July 16th, 2021, 1:45 pm

slcagg wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
July 16th, 2021, 12:45 pm
AggiePT wrote:
El Sapo wrote:
CaptainChaos wrote:

Nance is a speed guy if I recall correctly. Just a little bigger than 5’8”.
Well they list Nance at 6’1” on our roster. I hope he is a 6’1” speedster! It’d be great if Nance can live up to his potential. 4* Top 40 National receiver ranking in 2019 class per his Nebraska bio. Oklahoma hs state long jump champ and 2nd in the 100 and 200m. He does seem to meet the freakish athlete description. I think we have enough raw receiver talent that Coach Cefalo can help develop a formidable group with these guys.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post (total 2):
slcaggBLUERUFiO

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » July 16th, 2021, 2:23 pm

USU78 wrote:
July 16th, 2021, 1:39 pm
aggies22 wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
Why is he still here again? I forget.

Locked Previous topicNext topic