Coach Banda Interview

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Olderthandirt

Coach Banda Interview

Post by Olderthandirt » July 19th, 2021, 12:33 pm

I listened to Scotty G's interview with Coach Banda last night. He is impressive. A few things I loved about the interview:

1. Coach Anderson is one of a handful of coaches that he wanted to work for. This is because of how he treats his assistants,
and stresses family first.
2. Defense will incorporate different looks and will "give offensive coordinators a lot to practice against."
3. Corners will be playing a lot of man, particularly bump and run. This means pressure packages.
4. Tackling is the number one priority. Every day, even with player led practices.

Looking forward to our improved defense this year!
These users thanked the author Olderthandirt for the post (total 9):
aggies22Aggie19slcaggAussieAggieDadAggieFBObsessionNavyBlueAggieBLUERUFiOcrazywookie3rdGenAggie

Full

Re: Coach Banda Interview

Post by Full » July 19th, 2021, 1:44 pm

Took me a while to find, so I thought I should post it here. https://utahstateaggies.com/sports/2019 ... dcast.aspx
These users thanked the author Full for the post (total 2):
aggies22AggieArmy

ususports

Post by ususports » July 19th, 2021, 2:26 pm

It sounds like he and his wife both love Cache Valley, so we should have him here long term.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » July 19th, 2021, 2:28 pm

ususports wrote:
July 19th, 2021, 2:26 pm
It sounds like he and his wife both love Cache Valley, so we should have him here long term.
They all say that. No coach at any school stays at the same place for very long.
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
ViAggie

ususports

Post by ususports » July 19th, 2021, 2:35 pm

2004AG wrote:
July 19th, 2021, 2:28 pm
ususports wrote:
They all say that. No coach at any school stays at the same place for very long.
Sorry, I should have added the sarcasm emoji. On a serious note, I am excited to see his aggressive approach to defense. That is the style we have used to be successful in the past (Aranda, Orlando, and Patterson).
These users thanked the author ususports for the post (total 3):
2004AGBLUERUFiOAggiePT

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 19th, 2021, 2:42 pm

ususports wrote:
July 19th, 2021, 2:35 pm
2004AG wrote:
ususports wrote:
Sorry, I should have added the sarcasm emoji. On a serious note, I am excited to see his aggressive approach to defense. That is the style we have used to be successful in the past (Aranda, Orlando, and Patterson).
You are never sarcastic.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
ususports

mike1126

Post by mike1126 » July 19th, 2021, 2:53 pm

Great interview, has me excited to see this defense in action.
These users thanked the author mike1126 for the post:
aggies22

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » July 19th, 2021, 3:15 pm

2004AG wrote:
ususports wrote:

In a discussion some years ago, Coach McMann noted clearly that coaches are hired to be fired.
Some highly successful coaches can turn winning seasons into financial rewards like a Head Coach or a Coordinator, yet generally the position coaches are like pawns on a board. It's generally like the Peter Principal except there are so many variables with the collective moving parts.

AussieAggieDad

Post by AussieAggieDad » July 19th, 2021, 7:41 pm

Impressive interview. There were several standouts for me but one in particular resonated - Coach Banda's focus on technique which provides players with a solid foundation upon which to build their skills. Attention to detail separates the pros from the amateurs. Talent will take you only so far but talent, a strong work ethic coupled with a solid foundation means the sky is the limit!
These users thanked the author AussieAggieDad for the post (total 4):
USU78aggies22El SapoAggiefan33

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » July 20th, 2021, 1:12 pm

Biggest positives. Football is a game of emotion and Banda is full of it. He says the players want to improve. He also recognizes that recruiting is the key.

I'm also glad he respected my request for anonymity when he was naming his influencers :joking:

He used mostly "coach speak," but even with that rhetoric, I can make a few observations. The idea of multiple defensive sets and coverages sounds great, but there are 11 players out there who all need to understand the "concept" of each set. It's not easy to do. Pro teams fail at it all the time. Players get beaten thinking about where they are supposed to be instead of reacting. The breakdowns / failures become an issue, teams will decide to go "basic" and they've wasted all that time they spent working on multiple sets.

Glad he stressed conditioning and tackling.

Can't wait to see how he calls defenses. Will he use the prevent at the end of games? (prevent us from winning) How much does he blitz? Is he a bend and don't break guy?
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post (total 3):
ViAggieaggies22AussieAggieDad

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » July 20th, 2021, 2:12 pm

El Sapo wrote:
July 20th, 2021, 1:12 pm
Biggest positives. Football is a game of emotion and Banda is full of it. He says the players want to improve. He also recognizes that recruiting is the key.

I'm also glad he respected my request for anonymity when he was naming his influencers :joking:

He used mostly "coach speak," but even with that rhetoric, I can make a few observations. The idea of multiple defensive sets and coverages sounds great, but there are 11 players out there who all need to understand the "concept" of each set. It's not easy to do. Pro teams fail at it all the time. Players get beaten thinking about where they are supposed to be instead of reacting. The breakdowns / failures become an issue, teams will decide to go "basic" and they've wasted all that time they spent working on multiple sets.

Glad he stressed conditioning and tackling.

Can't wait to see how he calls defenses. Will he use the prevent at the end of games? (prevent us from winning) How much does he blitz? Is he a bend and don't break guy?

Solid comment about reacting as opposed to thinking. So spot on El Sapo.
Tackling, stressed especially after last season.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » July 22nd, 2021, 6:54 pm

U of Miami fan looks at USU getting Banda. take a few minutes to listen and read the comments the fans have about Banda. Most of them think Banda is one of their best coaches and recruiters

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » July 23rd, 2021, 10:43 am

El Sapo wrote:
July 22nd, 2021, 6:54 pm
U of Miami fan looks at USU getting Banda. take a few minutes to listen and read the comments the fans have about Banda. Most of them think Banda is one of their best coaches and recruiters

Looking through the comments there were good and bad, which you have to take with a grain of salt either way. The biggest pro I kept seeing was his recruiting ability. There were a number that didn't think he was ready to make the jump to DC (or at least not for the almighty "U", but sure for some G5 team). The biggest con I kept seeing, though, was that he doesn't do a good job developing players. Anyone know what that knock was about? Did some of those 5 stars not end up being stars, or at least strong contributors?

Locked Previous topicNext topic