Jason Shelley

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
CaptainChaos

Re: Jason Shelley

Post by CaptainChaos » July 29th, 2021, 9:50 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
July 28th, 2021, 10:31 am
Yeah the blame falls on the Corvallis quitter. He never should have been hired and couldnt have been fired soon enough. Shelley at a lower level with a better coaching staff and better chemistry with his teammates may do better. It was just a poor situation in logan.
He was the Ceder City quitter before that and it worked out okay.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » July 29th, 2021, 9:57 am

CaptainChaos wrote:
July 29th, 2021, 9:50 am
Yeah the blame falls on the Corvallis quitter. He never should have been hired and couldnt have been fired soon enough. Shelley at a lower level with a better coaching staff and better chemistry with his teammates may do better. It was just a poor situation in logan.
Yeah, it's funny how we were talking about building a statue in his honor before he left for Wisconsin, and now we're talking about him like he is the devil incarnate. I'm not trying to defend whatever the crap happened last year, but it is funny.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » July 29th, 2021, 10:17 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
July 29th, 2021, 9:57 am
CaptainChaos wrote:
July 29th, 2021, 9:50 am
Yeah, it's funny how we were talking about building a statue in his honor before he left for Wisconsin, and now we're talking about him like he is the devil incarnate. I'm not trying to defend whatever the crap happened last year, but it is funny.
It is a thread about Jason Shelley so it is fair to bring up who was responsible for the debacle. Yes Gary did a great job his first time around. I dont think many would argue that.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » July 29th, 2021, 10:32 am

CaptainChaos wrote:
July 29th, 2021, 9:44 am
Shelley was the worst starting QB we've had at USU in quite some time. He might be one of the 5 worst all time. I wish him luck elsewhere.
Ponich still wins the honors, though.

Anybody that can mess up spiking the ball is a special kind of special
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
NavyBlueAggie

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggiefan160

Post by Aggiefan160 » July 29th, 2021, 10:55 am

aggies22 wrote:
July 28th, 2021, 10:55 am
The ridiculous thing is Shelley is joining his new team about the same time he joined the Aggies a year ago. Missouri State had one of the their better seasons last year in quite awhile and their main contributor at QB from last season just bailed. Sound familiar???
Has Jaden Johnson transferred then? I couldn't see in my quick search that he has, but I may have missed something.

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » July 29th, 2021, 11:06 am

That's it, guys. Let it all out.

These users thanked the author BearLakeMonster for the post (total 5):
aggies22Aglicioussam tingeyAggieFBObsessionFloridaAggie13

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » July 29th, 2021, 11:12 am

USU78 wrote:
July 29th, 2021, 10:32 am
CaptainChaos wrote:
July 29th, 2021, 9:44 am
Shelley was the worst starting QB we've had at USU in quite some time. He might be one of the 5 worst all time. I wish him luck elsewhere.
Ponich still wins the honors, though.

Anybody that can mess up spiking the ball is a special kind of special
Had to look him up... Wow! :shock:
These users thanked the author CaptainChaos for the post:
USU78

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » July 29th, 2021, 11:13 am

Aggiefan160 wrote:
July 29th, 2021, 10:55 am
aggies22 wrote:
July 28th, 2021, 10:55 am
The ridiculous thing is Shelley is joining his new team about the same time he joined the Aggies a year ago. Missouri State had one of the their better seasons last year in quite awhile and their main contributor at QB from last season just bailed. Sound familiar???
Has Jaden Johnson transferred then? I couldn't see in my quick search that he has, but I may have missed something.
I don't remember where I saw the tweet. I'll see if I can dig it up.

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » July 29th, 2021, 1:01 pm

Note to self: Don't pick Missouri State in any Pick'ems

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » July 29th, 2021, 1:09 pm

One thing that's funny is I texted the news to this guy I work with, the one that first thought Shelley would beat out Colombi for the job, then kept telling me each week last season that Shelley would turn it around the next week, then after the Fresno game tried to tell me it was not his fault. Then when the news broke that Shelley was kicked off the team, he asked if I made it happen cause he knew how frustrated I was with Shelley. This guy is now telling me that with Shelley, Missouri State will be the #1 team in their league.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » July 29th, 2021, 1:18 pm

FDTerritory wrote:
July 27th, 2021, 8:58 am
Hi...hopefully I'm asking this in the right place. :)

Missouri State football coach Bobby Petrino announced today (out of the blue) that Jason Shelley has transferred to MSU and will be competing for the starting QB job. I get the impression from browsing here that y'all are very unimpressed with his play. :D If you could, summarize what you think his issues were at USU and (in addition), why did he apparently get dismissed from the team? Local media has said that it didn't have to do with him breaking any laws but that's about it.
I'm maybe the only person here who is really happy that Shelley is getting a shot somewhere. The poor kid really got treated unfairly here, The only criticism I have is that Shelley doesn't like to lose. He can't hide his emotions. If you want a happy loser? He's not your guy.

He's an exceptional athlete. But he's a pass first QB. You'll see and hear a lot of criticism from people on his passing ability, but if you watch the games you'll see more drops than missed passes. And remember that he played under extreme pressure behind our horrific OLine last season.

If your defense can keep the score in reach, and your OL can give him a reasonable pocket to throw from? I think you're going to love Jason Shelley

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » July 29th, 2021, 1:39 pm

El Sapo wrote:
FDTerritory wrote:

Missouri State football coach Bobby Petrino announced today (out of the blue) that Jason Shelley has transferred to MSU and will be competing for the starting QB job. I get the impression from browsing here that y'all are very unimpressed with his play. :D If you could, summarize what you think his issues were at USU and (in addition), why did he apparently get dismissed from the team? Local media has said that it didn't have to do with him breaking any laws but that's about it.
I'm maybe the only person here who is really happy that Shelley is getting a shot somewhere. The poor kid really got treated unfairly here, The only criticism I have is that Shelley doesn't like to lose. He can't hide his emotions. If you want a happy loser? He's not your guy.

He's an exceptional athlete. But he's a pass first QB. You'll see and hear a lot of criticism from people on his passing ability, but if you watch the games you'll see more drops than missed passes. And remember that he played under extreme pressure behind our horrific OLine last season.

If your defense can keep the score in reach, and your OL can give him a reasonable pocket to throw from? I think you're going to love Jason Shelley
Yeah that’s it. He hates to lose. That’s his problem.

It’s like Michael Scott in the office when he responded that his biggest problems were he worked too hard and cared too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » July 29th, 2021, 1:40 pm

Here is one of the games Shelley started for us.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » July 29th, 2021, 2:09 pm

2004AG wrote:
July 29th, 2021, 1:39 pm
El Sapo wrote:
FDTerritory wrote:

It’s like Michael Scott in the office when he responded that his biggest problems were he worked too hard and cared too much.

So last season was our QB's fault? Clearly it wasn't. So why attack Shelley? Oh yea he told someone to F-Off on the sidelines after getting beaten to a pulp on the field while our offense line stood around watching. The guy he yelled at probably deserved it.

Tell you what. If we didn't ruin him. If we had just taken him out of the game when he was clearly getting frustrated. Had someone just talked him down and let him get his head back on straight? Kept him on the team instead of making him the scapegoat?

He'd be our starting QB this season.

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » July 29th, 2021, 2:16 pm

El Sapo wrote:
2004AG wrote:
El Sapo wrote:
FDTerritory wrote:

So last season was our QB's fault? Clearly it wasn't. So why attack Shelley? Oh yea he told someone to F-Off on the sidelines after getting beaten to a pulp on the field while our offense line stood around watching. The guy he yelled at probably deserved it.

Tell you what. If we didn't ruin him. If we had just taken him out of the game when he was clearly getting frustrated. Had someone just talked him down and let him get his head back on straight? Kept him on the team instead of making him the scapegoat?

Yikes! Thanks for pointing out how scary this season could have been had those events not transpired.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author usufan1 for the post (total 2):
2004AGAggieFBObsession

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » July 29th, 2021, 2:30 pm

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » July 29th, 2021, 3:26 pm

usufan1 wrote:
July 29th, 2021, 2:16 pm
El Sapo wrote:
2004AG wrote:
El Sapo wrote:
FDTerritory wrote:

Yikes! Thanks for pointing out how scary this season could have been had those events not transpired.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
All any of us can do is speculate as to Shelley's justification for his sideline antics. But the notion that he should be in the mix for a qb position at this point is laughable. Go watch his deep ball throws from last year. Watch him not go through progressions or show any clue of how to read a defense. Watch how poor his pocket presence is even compared to Peasley. Watch how his receivers ran tentative routes because they had no clue where the ball would be, obviously something that came about in practice and warmups.

So fine you say he's an athlete that can make plays. No, he's half the athlete of Peasley and what average athleticism he has is completely wasted by a lack of football instincts and feel.

I know his offensive coordinator sucked, I know his line was in shambles, I know his coach didn't prepare the team, and I know their was animosity, dissension, and a lack of timing with his receivers from the way everything played out. But the guy is a 5'11 average athlete with a weak innaccurate arm and no QB skills and that wouldn't change if he had Alabama's O line and skill guys around him and the best OC in the country.

He was only the starting QB because Gary Andersen hasn't given a (I can't express myself without swearing) for 10 years. No competent coach would even let him take QB reps which apprarantly puts Bobby Petrino in Gary territory.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » July 29th, 2021, 3:34 pm

El Sapo wrote:
2004AG wrote:
El Sapo wrote:
FDTerritory wrote:

Gotta be trolling. There’s not any data to back your claim that he’s an exceptional athlete. Not even close. Any verified testing numbers? Any data to suggest he’s even mediocre at the quarterback position at the D1 level?
He’s not the reason we sucked last year, i would never claim something that stupid. But USU is also not the reason he sucks at football.

“Ruined him” good lord…

LOL. You gotta know the kid or something.

These users thanked the author BleedAggieBlue0 for the post (total 3):
2004AGBustaMcNuttAggieFBObsession

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » July 29th, 2021, 4:26 pm

El Sapo wrote:
July 29th, 2021, 2:09 pm
2004AG wrote:
El Sapo wrote:
FDTerritory wrote:

Sapo - last season wasnt all on Shelley, just 1/2. I watched that kid throw a temper tantrum on the bike on the sideline, I saw him say F ‘em, F em all. A Qb is supposed to lead, Im not sure what his beef with MOST of his teammates was - but respect is earned, not given and he was most definitely a virus in the locker room REGULARLY.
You are definitely entitled to your opinion, but his attitude was not for a team sport
Last edited by taniataylor on July 29th, 2021, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionFloridaAggie13

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » July 29th, 2021, 5:21 pm

I’m hoping he has humbled over the past year. Because I don’t want to make a game personal- and want people to succeed.

ootek

Post by ootek » July 29th, 2021, 8:44 pm

El Sapo wrote:
FDTerritory wrote:

More drops than missed passes? That is not my recollection at all, but I’ll admit that I try not to recall last season
These users thanked the author ootek for the post:
AggieFBObsession

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » July 29th, 2021, 9:55 pm

ootek wrote:
July 29th, 2021, 8:44 pm
El Sapo wrote:
FDTerritory wrote:

More drops than missed passes? That is not my recollection at all, but I’ll admit that I try not to recall last season
Did we play last year?
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » July 29th, 2021, 9:56 pm

You know who also had a lot of receivers drop passes? Jordan Love.

There is a reason why everyone loves Jordan Love- and it isn't just because he's good at football.

There is a reason why people don't resent as strongly Leon Jackson III, Diondre Borel, Kent Myers, etc. despite not always having the best talent around them either.

Shelley's actions were really embarrassing. And if it's that bad in view, I am willing to assume it's even worse when a TV camera is NOT pointing at him.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionFloridaAggie13

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » July 29th, 2021, 10:28 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
July 29th, 2021, 9:56 pm

There is a reason why everyone loves Jordan Love- and it isn't just because he's good at football.

There is a reason why people don't resent as strongly Leon Jackson III, Diondre Borel, Kent Myers, etc. despite not always having the best talent around them either.

Shelley's actions were really embarrassing. And if it's that bad in view, I am willing to assume it's even worse when a TV camera is NOT pointing at him.
I love Jordan love because he was good at football. Im sure travis Cox is a fine human but I dont have a travis Cox plaque on my wall. But yes character matters. Had Shelley handled himself better, he wouldnt be as hated as he is.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » July 29th, 2021, 10:46 pm

July 29th, 2021, 10:28 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
July 29th, 2021, 9:56 pm

I love Jordan love because he was good at football. Im sure travis Cox is a fine human but I dont have a travis Cox plaque on my wall. But yes character matters. Had Shelley handled himself better, he wouldnt be as hated as he is.
You get to know players to have a plaque on the wall because they are good at football. That is why they have a plaque. There are a lot of football players, gymnasts, basketball players, softball players, soccer players, etc. that are great Aggies and no one is expected to know every single one, except maybe Hartwell and some in the AD.

Fair to hold him to it or not- I feel like Shelley violated whatever code I personally hold. It's one thing to lose and get crushed. It's another thing to tune out and disengage from the team you are expected to lead the way Shelley did.

I also believe in 2nd chances-and being able to not let the past dictate the future. So I DO hope for and wish Shelley the best because if he doesn't? Yeesh. Imagine someone acted the way Shelley did on the sidelines, in your office....my job lets a lot of things go- but that type of behavior wouldn't be tolerated at all. I can do literally nothing all day but type on USUFans- but no way I could treat my co-workers the way I saw him treat teammates.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiAggieFBObsession

coolag

Post by coolag » July 30th, 2021, 6:55 pm

El Sapo wrote:
July 29th, 2021, 2:09 pm
2004AG wrote:
El Sapo wrote:
FDTerritory wrote:

Please stop. It's embarrassing.

Regulator of Class

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » July 30th, 2021, 7:50 pm

Sapo clearly has some sort of relationship with Shelley. There’s no way anyone looking at it objectively could see the Shelley situation the way he does.

My honest read of Shelley is he is probably a really good kid that has an outsized sense of his skill level. It was too painful for him to admit to himself he simply didn’t have the physical tools to be a Division 1 quarterback that he lashed out and blamed everyone but himself.

I do think Shelley is a good enough athlete to play D1 football (probably not as a starter on a good team), but Kyle Whittingham had it right. He is a safety.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » July 30th, 2021, 11:24 pm

ootek wrote:
July 29th, 2021, 8:44 pm
El Sapo wrote:
FDTerritory wrote:

What I saw was tentative receivers because they had no idea where the ball placement will be. I don't remember a ton of drops. I saw our talented freshman te drop a couple over the middle that I bet he never does again in his career and watching his routes that was my thought. Not an approach excuse to drop passes but it affects confidence and route concentration when you have a scattergun armed QB.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » July 31st, 2021, 7:36 am

Personally, I can't believe this thread has as many responses as it does and is as long as it is.

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » July 31st, 2021, 9:15 am

hickaggie wrote:
July 30th, 2021, 11:24 pm
What I saw was tentative receivers because they had no idea where the ball placement will be. I don't remember a ton of drops. I saw our talented freshman te drop a couple over the middle that I bet he never does again in his career and watching his routes that was my thought. Not an approach excuse to drop passes but it affects confidence and route concentration when you have a scattergun armed QB.
If you touch it you catch. No matter who is throwing.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » July 31st, 2021, 9:39 am

aggies22 wrote:
July 31st, 2021, 7:36 am
Personally, I can't believe this thread has as many responses as it does and is as long as it is.
Not sure why this is surprising. Shelley is and was a lightning rod topic while he was here.

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » July 31st, 2021, 10:16 am

Brayden Bell > Jason Shelley

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » July 31st, 2021, 10:18 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
July 31st, 2021, 9:39 am
aggies22 wrote:
July 31st, 2021, 7:36 am
Not sure why this is surprising. Shelley is and was a lightning rod topic while he was here.
WAS being the operative word. Fall camp starts in a week and this is the hot football topic.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » July 31st, 2021, 10:33 am

aggies22 wrote:
WAS being the operative word. Fall camp starts in a week and this is the hot football topic.
It’s still a big part of why we are where we are right now, for better or worse. There’s a decent argument Shelley hastened GA’s demise, which is probably a good thing in the long term.

But once you ramp up that fall camp coverage when it starts, no one is gonna wanna talk about Mr. Shelley anymore.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » July 31st, 2021, 10:38 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
July 31st, 2021, 10:33 am
aggies22 wrote:
It’s still a big part of why we are where we are right now, for better or worse. There’s a decent argument Shelley hastened GA’s demise, which is probably a good thing in the long term.

But once you ramp up that fall camp coverage when it starts, no one is gonna wanna talk about Mr. Shelley anymore.
Gary hastened his own demise. Believe that.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Locked Previous topicNext topic