Some good expansion news

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg

Re: Some good expansion news

Post by slcagg » September 3rd, 2021, 1:32 pm

I’ve been advocating smu. However is unt a better add? Both in Dallas area. One with 10k students though and the other with 40k students.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
NibleyAg

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » September 3rd, 2021, 2:17 pm

Excluding money and market, it'd be fun to add S. Dakota State and Montana

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 3rd, 2021, 2:18 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
September 3rd, 2021, 2:17 pm
Excluding money and market, it'd be fun to add S. Dakota State and Montana
They have great fan following. Specifically Montana.

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » September 3rd, 2021, 3:42 pm

MWC current has 11 basketball and 12 football members.

Add Gonzaga for basketball / Olympics to get to 12. Washington is in the geographic footprint of the conference.

Then, add 2 Texas schools full membership to get to 14. SMU (obvious), and then whomever SMU wants (it probably doesn't matter). I would not be surprised if SMU probably wants Rice. That works out fine and gives the MWC recruiting in Texas. I also think that Gonzaga is more likely to join if a strong basketball school like SMU joins. MWC would have 3 private schools: Gonzaga, SMU, Rice

The good thing about all 3 schools?---they should have plenty of their own money to support themselves, and aren't poor like a UTSA or UTEP.
These users thanked the author Tetonkatest for the post:
mcaggie1

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » September 3rd, 2021, 4:06 pm

Why does everyone care about getting to 14? None of these schools will increase the money overall. We'll get less. Grab Gonzaga and stay at 12 in both main sports
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 5):
BLUERUFiOFullSl7vkflying_scotsman2.0NowhereLandAggie

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » September 3rd, 2021, 4:17 pm

GeoAg wrote:
September 3rd, 2021, 4:06 pm
Why does everyone care about getting to 14? Now of these schools will increase the money overall. We'll get less. Grab Gonzaga and stay at 12 in both main sports
+1

Adding Gonzaga for basketball balances everything out just fine. I don't think adding anyone else moves the needle enough for it to be worth it

Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » September 3rd, 2021, 4:19 pm

GeoAg wrote:
Why does everyone care about getting to 14? Now of these schools will increase the money overall. We'll get less. Grab Gonzaga and stay at 12 in both main sports
I don't. Since we were talking about conference realignment, I'm just added what I would think would be an interesting conference minus the money and market factors. I'm aware that added those two doesn't increase our piece of the pie and I do agree we shouldn't do it.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » September 3rd, 2021, 4:51 pm

GeoAg wrote:
Why does everyone care about getting to 14? None of these schools will increase the money overall. We'll get less. Grab Gonzaga and stay at 12 in both main sports
I think they would be decent opponents and I want to sabotage the aac.
Last edited by LarryTheAggie on September 3rd, 2021, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

BamaAggie

Post by BamaAggie » September 3rd, 2021, 4:55 pm

After all this re-alignment and Boise (kinda) trending downward, it sure seems the path for a NY6 game is wide open..

Agzrule

Post by Agzrule » September 3rd, 2021, 4:56 pm

With pending moves, I really hope nmsu can find a home in sunbelt or better cusa
These users thanked the author Agzrule for the post (total 2):
BearLakeMonsterNavyBlueAggie

BamaAggie

Post by BamaAggie » September 3rd, 2021, 4:58 pm

The current C-USA schools should jump at an AAC invite but they should go the Sun Belt route of adding Louisiana, App St and Coastal. That’s just from a football competition perspective. No clue the market size or TV sets those fan bases bring in..

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » September 3rd, 2021, 5:01 pm

ESPN reporting the 4 teams mentioned will submit applications to the B12 next week, so obviously BYU is interested.

I agree with the others that are against adding to MWC. Unless it comes with an increased TV contract, adding just dilutes the pool of money we currently get.

Agzrule

Post by Agzrule » September 3rd, 2021, 5:04 pm

BamaAggie wrote:
September 3rd, 2021, 4:55 pm
After all this re-alignment and Boise (kinda) trending downward, it sure seems the path for a NY6 game is wide open..
You would think, however I am not totally convinced this new big 12 will be considered a power conference by the “power 4”. It will be very interesting to see unfold. I also see boise’s trajectory sloping downward so we will really need to have 3-4 solid consistent programs every year in the mwc to help our computer numbers.
These users thanked the author Agzrule for the post:
slcagg

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » September 3rd, 2021, 5:07 pm

GeoAg wrote:Why does everyone care about getting to 14? None of these schools will increase the money overall. We'll get less. Grab Gonzaga and stay at 12 in both main sports
I think basically eliminating the AAC competition, cementing us as the top G5 team has value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 2):
LarryTheAggieslcagg

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » September 3rd, 2021, 6:02 pm

slcagg wrote:
September 3rd, 2021, 1:32 pm
I’ve been advocating smu. However is unt a better add? Both in Dallas area. One with 10k students though and the other with 40k students.
Totally agree on SMU, mainly because my son is a grad of the Dedman school of law at SMU and lives in Plano.He would have fun every other year taking his family to an Aggie Football game.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 3rd, 2021, 6:07 pm

Agzrule wrote:
September 3rd, 2021, 5:04 pm
BamaAggie wrote:
You would think, however I am not totally convinced this new big 12 will be considered a power conference by the “power 4”. It will be very interesting to see unfold. I also see boise’s trajectory sloping downward so we will really need to have 3-4 solid consistent programs every year in the mwc to help our computer numbers.
The new big 12 does not have what I would consider a top 15 program. Not even close.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
ViAggie

Jayzep

Post by Jayzep » September 3rd, 2021, 7:11 pm

slcagg wrote:
September 3rd, 2021, 6:07 pm
Agzrule wrote:
BamaAggie wrote:
The new big 12 does not have what I would consider a top 15 program. Not even close.
Iowa State is Ranked 7th right now

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 3rd, 2021, 8:11 pm

Jayzep wrote:
September 3rd, 2021, 7:11 pm
slcagg wrote:
September 3rd, 2021, 6:07 pm
Agzrule wrote:
BamaAggie wrote:
Iowa State is Ranked 7th right now
I mean what would be considered a top program overall. Which imo isu is nowhere near that. There are 7 programs in the sec alone better than Iowa state.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 3rd, 2021, 8:23 pm

Yeah Iowa State is nowhere close to a top 15 program. Matt Cambell is a great coach who has done an excellent job there, but you have to show some consistency to be a top level program. So far they have had one 9-3 season. They easily will drop right back off sooner than later.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 8th, 2021, 8:16 pm

Looks like it is all but official as expected. I really hate that now byu is going to be In the big 12 (granted a watered down version without football programs that make it p5 worthy). However hope mw is active In working the phone right now.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » September 8th, 2021, 8:29 pm

slcagg wrote:
September 8th, 2021, 8:16 pm
Looks like it is all but official as expected. I really hate that now byu is going to be In the big 12 (granted a watered down version without football programs that make it p5 worthy). However hope mw is active In working the phone right now.

Don't really care about BYU going to the Big-12. As mentioned by many, the Big-12 is massively watered down. Between the new SEC and the ACC/Big Ten/PAC-12 alliance, the Big-12 is now securely planted outside of the power structure in college football. The end result of this is the Big-12 is weaker, the AAC is weaker, BYU is still on the outside and trying to play catch up with Utah, and the Mountain West is untouched. We could not have realistically expected any better outcome.
These users thanked the author swordsman1989 for the post:
OKAggie

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » September 8th, 2021, 8:41 pm

swordsman1989 wrote:
September 8th, 2021, 8:29 pm
slcagg wrote:

Don't really care about BYU going to the Big-12. As mentioned by many, the Big-12 is massively watered down. Between the new SEC and the ACC/Big Ten/PAC-12 alliance, the Big-12 is now securely planted outside of the power structure in college football. The end result of this is the Big-12 is weaker, the AAC is weaker, BYU is still on the outside and trying to play catch up with Utah, and the Mountain West is untouched. We could not have realistically expected any better outcome.
Well, after we snag Gonzaga this will come out as a big old positive all around for the MW. Nice geographic footprint, excellent basketball, and hopefully football teams that keep improving (thanks SJSU).
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post (total 3):
GeoAgFullBLUERUFiO

BioAggie

Post by BioAggie » September 8th, 2021, 9:25 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
September 8th, 2021, 8:41 pm
swordsman1989 wrote:
slcagg wrote:

Well, after we snag Gonzaga this will come out as a big old positive all around for the MW. Nice geographic footprint, excellent basketball, and hopefully football teams that keep improving (thanks SJSU).
swordsman1989 wrote:
slcagg wrote:

I don’t think there is a snowball chance in hell we get Gonzaga, the WCC will just go back to their old conference alignments without BYU. There is nothing that the MW can offer them to entice them to come. Of course the MW could give them more revenue then they should get but I still don’t think we could sweeten the pot enough. They don’t need a new conference to stay relevant, their winning takes care of that already.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » September 8th, 2021, 9:36 pm

BioAggie wrote:
September 8th, 2021, 9:25 pm
swordsman1989 wrote:
slcagg wrote:

swordsman1989 wrote:
slcagg wrote:

I don’t think there is a snowball chance in hell we get Gonzaga, the WCC will just go back to their old conference alignments without BYU. There is nothing that the MW can offer them to entice them to come. Of course the MW could give them more revenue then they should get but I still don’t think we could sweeten the pot enough. They don’t need a new conference to stay relevant, their winning takes care of that already.
There is always at least some regression to the mean. They are crazy if they don’t want to upgrade their conference situation.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 8th, 2021, 10:42 pm

Yeah, Gonzaga probably stays and just negotiates an even higher piece of the pie in the WCC, but if I were them I'd leave and if I was a Gonzaga fan I'd much rather have them in the MW. The WCC with byu out is a very bad conference. It is a 1 bid league most years with a lot of Big Sky equivalent competition. St Mary's has a decent basketball program, but even St Mary's has only made the NCAA tournament twice since 2013.

You also aren't going to be on top forever. Who knows if Gonzaga can keep it going after Mark Few retires. Yes they don't need a better league to make deep tournament runs and they might win the national title next year in the WCC, but If I were them I'd be thinking a little long term right now.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » September 9th, 2021, 10:10 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
September 8th, 2021, 10:42 pm
Yeah, Gonzaga probably stays and just negotiates an even higher piece of the pie in the WCC, but if I were them I'd leave and if I was a Gonzaga fan I'd much rather have them in the MW.
They've already negotiated a deal where they get to keep 100% of the revenue that the bring in from the NCAA Tourney and TV. Each team now get's the money that they earn. They aren't going to get a sweeter deal than that anywhere.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » September 9th, 2021, 10:23 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
September 9th, 2021, 10:10 am
Yeah, Gonzaga probably stays and just negotiates an even higher piece of the pie in the WCC, but if I were them I'd leave and if I was a Gonzaga fan I'd much rather have them in the MW.
They've already negotiated a deal where they get to keep 100% of the revenue that the bring in from the NCAA Tourney and TV. Each team now get's the money that they earn. They aren't going to get a sweeter deal than that anywhere.
Serious? They get all the tourney credits? Would that completely cripple the conference? They don’t have many other sources of revenue. That’s an incredible amount of revenue for Gonzaga though, considering they have more credits than just about any team in the country right now.

jimbo

Post by jimbo » September 9th, 2021, 10:39 am

It doesn't seem like the conference expansion juggling act will be over after this announcement. The Big 10 could poach some Big 12 schools which will water down the Big 12 even more and will send them looking to add more teams.

RigAggie

Post by RigAggie » September 9th, 2021, 11:19 am

jimbo wrote:
September 9th, 2021, 10:39 am
It doesn't seem like the conference expansion juggling act will be over after this announcement. The Big 10 could poach some Big 12 schools which will water down the Big 12 even more and will send them looking to add more teams.
I think the only way the Big 10 poaches the Big 12 is if the SEC picks off Ohio State and maybe Penn State/Wisconsin.
Then I think the Big10 scrambles and tries to pick up something close to home.

Who would they take? Iowa State? they aren't going to take any of the leftover Texas Schools.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » September 9th, 2021, 11:19 am

jimbo wrote:It doesn't seem like the conference expansion juggling act will be over after this announcement. The Big 10 could poach some Big 12 schools which will water down the Big 12 even more and will send them looking to add more teams.
Let’s hope

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » September 9th, 2021, 11:24 am

2004AG wrote:
September 9th, 2021, 11:19 am
jimbo wrote:It doesn't seem like the conference expansion juggling act will be over after this announcement. The Big 10 could poach some Big 12 schools which will water down the Big 12 even more and will send them looking to add more teams.
Let’s hope

Actually lets hope not.

I think that would send what is left of the Big12 after BSU, SDSU or CSU. Could even cause them to go after some American schools. Then the American could go after AFA.

We want the MW to stay intact as is. It's the best case scenario for USU.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 2):
Full3rdGenAggie

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » September 9th, 2021, 11:42 am

September 9th, 2021, 10:23 am
ProvoAggie wrote:
Serious? They get all the tourney credits? Would that completely cripple the conference? They don’t have many other sources of revenue. That’s an incredible amount of revenue for Gonzaga though, considering they have more credits than just about any team in the country right now.
They get all of the credits that they earn. A couple of years ago when they were talking to the MWC they went back to the WCC with a few demands and that was one of them. Each team get's to keep the money they earn from the NCAA Tourney and the other was a format change for the conference tourney. They were sick of earning all of the money and having to share it. It hurts the rest of the conference financially but not near as bad as losing Gonzaga would hurt. They basically did to the WCC what Boise did to the MWC.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » September 9th, 2021, 12:11 pm

I hope this ends up staying exactly how it currently is for a long time. It's basically the realistic best-case scenario for Utah State. It keeps Boise in the MWC (as much as I hate them) and makes MWC the clear-cut #2 G5 conference behind the Big 12. The only real downside of that (and it many not even be a downside for many) is that I expect our days of playing BYU are over.

The Big 12 completely collapsing is the overall best-case scenario for the MWC, but that's just not happening. The Big 12 is not the Big East with a million teams, half of which don't play football. Even if you took out the top 4 Big 12 members left (KU, WVU, OkSU, ISU), a conference with TTU, Baylor, TCU, KState, BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF is far superior to the MWC and what's left of the AAC. They'd just invite 2-4 of the following teams, all of which would accept in a heartbeat: Boise, CSU, Memphis, USF, Tulsa, SDSU and UNLV.

Utah State is not on the list in any reasonable position with BYU in there. During a second round of Big 12 backfilling, we'd be 8th or 9th on the list at best.

By far the best thing for USU is to keep the Mountain West completely intact.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
cval

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » September 9th, 2021, 2:29 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
September 9th, 2021, 11:42 am
September 9th, 2021, 10:23 am
ProvoAggie wrote:
They get all of the credits that they earn. A couple of years ago when they were talking to the MWC they went back to the WCC with a few demands and that was one of them. Each team get's to keep the money they earn from the NCAA Tourney and the other was a format change for the conference tourney. They were sick of earning all of the money and having to share it. It hurts the rest of the conference financially but not near as bad as losing Gonzaga would hurt. They basically did to the WCC what Boise did to the MWC.
If Gonzaga is taking all the money from credits and tv, how are they benefiting the conference at all? Literally the only thing they are providing is a chance (small chance...) for one of these teams to beat them. If they have some losing seasons and the money dries up, guess what? They’re just another school in the wcc again. Here’s a case study- look at La Salle basketball in the early 50’s. They won a national championship and were runners up one year. Now how are they? If they had had the chance at making a quick buck or moving to the Big East, what should they have done? If Gonzaga stays in the WCC, in 50 years they will be the La Salle of my generation. Hard to see that right now because they have been so dominant, but as sport fans we are pretty short-sighted.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
3rdGenAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 9th, 2021, 2:55 pm

I wonder if we could get Wichita State and St. Mary's and force the Zags to make a move?

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Locked Previous topicNext topic