MWC Expansion Candidates

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg

MWC Expansion Candidates

Post by slcagg » September 16th, 2021, 10:48 pm

I put together a list of names that have been mentioned on this board in the past with their recent success or lack there-of in the two big sports. Also added in a couple of other key metrics. There are other metrics obviously needed if the MW were making a decision but I think the chart below gives a good idea what schools should be considered. Memphis and SMU easily the top 2 choices. Would they actually be interested? I'm not sure.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 3):
thegreendalegelfRoy McAvoy3rdGenAggie

swordsman1989

Re: MWC Expansion Candidates

Post by swordsman1989 » September 17th, 2021, 1:03 am

Nice presentation. It might be a lot of work, but it would be interesting to compare these candidates with data from the existing MWC schools, to see where they would fit in.

Edit - Would also like to see size of the media market.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » September 17th, 2021, 2:47 am

I decided to add that. This is the Nielsen Designated Market Area (DMA) of the respective schools, and the number of households with televisions. We are well aware that just being located in a certain market does not mean a school brings in a notable percentage of the market, and that sometimes a school has a presence that extends beyond their local market, but I did find some of this surprising.

These users thanked the author swordsman1989 for the post:
slcagg

travelingagg

Post by travelingagg » September 17th, 2021, 7:42 am

SMU seems like an all-around good school. Distances between teams used to be a big deal when more travel was by bus. Flying from Utah to Colorado at 1.5 hours is not that much closer than Utah to Dallas at 2 hours.

Jordan Nathan’s #27 Fan

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 17th, 2021, 7:49 am

travelingagg wrote:
September 17th, 2021, 7:42 am
SMU seems like an all-around good school. Distances between teams used to be a big deal when more travel was by bus. Flying from Utah to Colorado at 1.5 hours is not that much closer than Utah to Dallas at 2 hours.
Yeah after running those numbers smu is easily one of the top 2 targets if they are interested. Hair needs to get on this.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
2004AG

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 17th, 2021, 7:50 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
September 17th, 2021, 2:47 am
I decided to add that. This is the Nielsen Designated Market Area (DMA) of the respective schools, and the number of households with televisions. We are well aware that just being located in a certain market does not mean a school brings in a notable percentage of the market, and that sometimes a school has a presence that extends beyond their local market, but I did find some of this surprising.

Another important metric would be to look at tv ratings when on major networks. However not sure how to get this. Of the possible adds both smu and Memphis I’m sure would have the most eyeballs.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » September 17th, 2021, 8:03 am

I am starting to warm up to Memphis. The only two ways it makes sense though is to either invite 4 teams and go to 16 so there can be a 4 team geographical division that makes sense. Or invite memphis as football only and they can take their other sports to the Big East with Uconn.

I prefer going to 16, adding smu, tulsa, memphis and either Tulane or north Texas. Then adding whicita state to bring basketball to 16 as well.
Last edited by LarryTheAggie on September 17th, 2021, 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 17th, 2021, 9:22 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
September 17th, 2021, 1:03 am
Nice presentation. It might be a lot of work, but it would be interesting to compare these candidates with data from the existing MWC schools, to see where they would fit in.

MW. Their is easily a top tier in SDSU and Boise. Then from a competition wise I'd say USU and Nevada are next across the two major sports.
Attachments
Capture2.PNG
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
Roy McAvoy

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » September 17th, 2021, 9:52 am

I'm gonna just drop this here and ruin all of your Friday productivity, if there was any to be had:

https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/ ... tSimulator
These users thanked the author BigBlueDart for the post:
sam tingey

travelingagg

Post by travelingagg » September 17th, 2021, 3:52 pm

slcagg wrote:
September 17th, 2021, 9:22 am
swordsman1989 wrote:
September 17th, 2021, 1:03 am

MW. Their is easily a top tier in SDSU and Boise. Then from a competition wise I'd say USU and Nevada are next across the two major sports.
I agree. When looking at our all MWC teams' conference records from the year we joined through spring 2021, Boise State has the best record in football and basketball combined. SDSU, then Nevada, then Utah State come in 2, 3, and 4th on performance. Our performance is especially impressive given the fact that we and SJSU are the newest members of the conference.

These users thanked the author travelingagg for the post:
slcagg

Jordan Nathan’s #27 Fan

Locked Previous topicNext topic