Shovel Pass

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
brownjeans
Flatulent

Re: Shovel Pass

Post by brownjeans » September 20th, 2021, 6:45 pm

tinplater wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 12:54 pm
I personally would have leaned towards calling a fake punt in that situation but have no idea how skilled our punter might be in pulling that off. Remember vividly USU's loss to Utah weekend of Kennedy Assassination when Utah pulled off a first down with a 4th quarter fake punt with a 4th and maybe 15 to go. I think everyone expected a fake, but even so the punter rambled off 15 yards and ultimately won the game.
Still curious as to what is the expected success of a shovel pass? There must be some data on that.
Is it harder to pitch forward than sideways?
Urban Meyer made his reputation off the shovel pass as an option for the sweeping QB.
http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2009/ ... riple.html
https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-sta ... -touchdown

It's really no different than an QB/RB option run and pitch only it's forward instead of a lateral. The benefit is that the shovel isn't a fumble if it hits the turf. Still, on fourth down, it might as well be a fumble.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » September 20th, 2021, 8:31 pm

Fake punt is more at risk of failure than shovel pass in my mind. Your yardage lost is a lost less if failed and doubt many are picked off, just incomplete.

I don’t remember the flea flicker, but surely remember Charlie the cheerleader doing the pole climb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » September 20th, 2021, 8:38 pm

brownjeans wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 6:45 pm

Is it harder to pitch forward than sideways?
In this case, the key is that it involved the TE. And previous to this game, the Aggies were rarely using the TE so the Falcons weren't expecting it at all. The TE is also one of the biggest targets on the team besides McGriff.

Locked Previous topicNext topic