upadated conference realignment

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Agezzz

Re: upadated conference realignment

Post by Agezzz » September 24th, 2021, 6:53 pm

Interesting????!!!!!

INFORUM’s McFeely follows up on reports from The Athletic’s Vannini that the Mountain West is looking at North Dakota State as a potential addition, noting: “As I wrote in December when I tried to get the NDSU-to-FBS train rolling, a move to the Mountain West would almost certainly have to be for the football program only. … The football-only angle remains a daunting hurdle.” Further, McFeely also notes the impact of President Bresciani’s exit at the end of 2022: “With athletic booster Dean Bresciani a lame duck after essentially being fired by the State Board of Higher Education, how does that figure into a potential move to FBS? Conference moves are made at the presidential level and with Bresciani on the way out, does he have the power to push the Bison to the Mountain West if that's what's deemed the best move? And if a potential move was going to occur after Bresciani's successor was hired, what does the successor think of moving to FBS? Looking at the search committee tasked with finding NDSU's next leader, there appears to be exactly one person on it who is even remotely interested in athletics — former Gate City Bank president and CEO Steve Swiontek. There is no athletic representative on the search committee as there has been in the past. … The Mountain West talking about NDSU doesn't mean an invitation is in the mail. Nor does it mean NDSU would accept the invitation. But the prospect of NDSU moving to FBS did move forward an inch or two, and that's farther along than it was last week.” (link)

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » September 24th, 2021, 7:01 pm

ViAggie wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:
September 23rd, 2021, 8:32 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:I know they are completely on the other side of the country, but is Liberty looking at joining a conference? Certainly they are a long ways away, but they are pumping a lot of money into their sports team and actually have really solid programs.
Nothing says Mountain West like Lynchburg, VA. I want nothing to do with those people and that institution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s essentially a for profit school under the guise of a “Christian School” just like Grand Canyon “University” and just look at their acceptance rates, they’ll literally take anyone with a pulse….
It’s run by people like Jerry Prevo and the Falwell’s who are the worst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 24th, 2021, 7:03 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
September 24th, 2021, 6:27 pm
slcagg wrote:
September 24th, 2021, 6:01 pm
LarryTheAggie wrote:
September 24th, 2021, 5:50 pm
CaptainChaos wrote:
September 24th, 2021, 3:42 pm
RexburgAggie wrote:
September 24th, 2021, 3:11 pm
ratofallaggies wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 1:31 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 1:25 pm
ratofallaggies wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 1:23 pm
LarryTheAggie wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 1:14 pm
ratofallaggies wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 1:13 pm
slcagg wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 1:01 pm
ratofallaggies wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 12:51 pm
Invite SMU and UTSA and move on. Wont miss playing AF every year.
How is Utsa different than sjsu?
A few differences:

-UTSA endowment is 180M, SJSU is 140M
-UTSA enrollment is 34k, SJSU enrollment is 32K

-UTSA plays in the alamodome (64K capacity), SJSU plays in.... well if you've been there, you know
-Texas (MW has zero presence here), The Bay area (MW has two other CA schools)
So they are essentially the same?
For the record, I don't have a problem with SJSU being in the conference. But I don't think they're the same either. I'd be good with Tulsa as well. I really do not care much if AF and CSU leave the conference as long as we were able to replace them with a combo the likes of those schools.
Tulsa would be a solid “meh.”

I am looking at this from a competitive standpoint, not a market standpoint. Tulsa, UTSA, Rice, and Texas St. are not teams I am interested in scheduling.
Well, we'd agree on Rice and Texas St. then. I'd be ok with Memphis because they're solid (but they aren't going to come to the MW). I guess the difference in sentiments regarding "expansion" or conference mates really comes down to who we think we are. I don't see USU getting an invite to any larger conference, that's just me. I'm good with a solid regional conference.
I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way, but that's why we aren't a "great" school when it comes to football! Our fanbase is deflated, and we have settled to being okay with the MW. We should never be okay with a good regional conference.

Everyone gets so upset that Boize State is viewed as the premier MW school, but they aren't afraid to speak up and go get what they want. In order for us to make any noise in CFB, we need to model schools like Boize State and BYU. They steal all our recruits and win more games than us consistently because we don't support our school the same way their fans support theirs.

Sincerely,

A pissed off fan.
I think it is important to point out again that it is a numbers game that USU is not in an advantageous position in. BYU and BSU both have county populations that are 3- 5 times that of Cache County and they both have neighboring Counties that are significant as well. USU is geographically in a tough spot with neighboring schools and small populations. I do wish that more folks came to the USU games and were more supportive financially, but I don't think its a fair comparison. It is my opinion that USU as a school and a fan base is and always has done more with less. Doing more with less is the Aggie way and I wear that with pride.
I hate to bring this up again but have you ever been to Pullman Washington. Usu probably has more people living within 15 minutes of campus than Wazzu has living within an hour and a half. (And they have to share that population with the University of Idaho)
They share that population with Washington not idaho.
No the U of I is literally 7 minutes from wazzu.
I recognize that. However wsu main fan base would be
In the state of Washington. (Seattle would have a lot of fans) not Moscow idaho and the surrounding communities. But I understand whAt point you are making. Go aggies.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 24th, 2021, 7:16 pm

Uhg, why do we want to invite any school from the Dakotas, they need to just join the MAC if they want to move up to FBS.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » September 24th, 2021, 7:48 pm

ViAggie wrote:
September 24th, 2021, 7:16 pm
Uhg, why do we want to invite any school from the Dakotas, they need to just join the MAC if they want to move up to FBS.
Yeah, same thoughts. I think schools like ndsu and Montana would do better than many schools in fbs, but the mw isn’t a conference for new fbs schools, especially those outside our footprint.

ususports

Post by ususports » September 25th, 2021, 5:14 pm

slcagg wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
UTSA beat Memphis today. SJSU did not.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 25th, 2021, 5:16 pm

ususports wrote:
September 25th, 2021, 5:14 pm
slcagg wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
UTSA beat Memphis today. SJSU did not.
So by that logic you’d take them over Memphis as well.

Speaking of which western Michigan beat up on the Spartans. Western Michigan is pretty solid this year with a win at Pitt as well.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 25th, 2021, 5:16 pm

I am only interested in schools that help basketball.

GU, St. Mary’s, NMSU, UTEP.

The Athletic says Rice, UTSA, and North Texas are targets if anyone leaves the MW

I get North Texas, I guess. Rice and UTSA are a “hell no.” UTEP and NMSU are about 30 spots higher on my “big board” than effing Rice and UTSA. If the options are Rice and UTSA, let’s stand pat please.

I understand in the abstract the appeal of getting into Texas, but I think it’s too far outside the footprint and there aren’t any programs left in Texas that bring any Texas eyeballs.

Go “all in” on basketball and stability is my vote.

Locked Previous topicNext topic