Guys…. Peasley is our guy….

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Sl7vk

Guys…. Peasley is our guy….

Post by Sl7vk » September 20th, 2021, 9:10 pm

Have now rewatched the game twice and it has become clear to my eyes. Peasley is the starter. And that isn’t to take ANYTHING away from Bonner.

Peasley threw the ball better and in particular the long ball. His athleticism on the scramble touchdown to Bowling and the 2 point conversion is off the charts.

I was all in on Bonner after WSU.

I’m all in on Peasley now.

CaptainChaos

Re: Guys…. Peasley is our guy….

Post by CaptainChaos » September 20th, 2021, 9:15 pm

I guess we’ll see. I don’t envy Coach Anderson this week with that decision. Hopefully folks are allowing him the autonomy to make it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouEssYou

Post by YouEssYou » September 20th, 2021, 9:17 pm

If Bonner isn't 100% then it should be a pretty easy decision.
These users thanked the author YouEssYou for the post (total 3):
BLUERUFiOAggieFBObsessionsam tingey

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » September 20th, 2021, 9:18 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 9:15 pm
I guess we’ll see. I don’t envy Coach Anderson this week with that decision. Hopefully folks are allowing him the autonomy to make it.

Will Bonner even be ready? Anybody have an update on him?

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 20th, 2021, 9:19 pm

Listening to BA press conference Logan is the guy and he will be ready on Saturday.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 20th, 2021, 9:54 pm

slcagg wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 9:19 pm
Listening to BA press conference Logan is the guy and he will be ready on Saturday.
That is the way I took it as well. He mentioned Logan would should ready for the game. I am thinking Logan will start. Not sure how I feel about it. Logan looked bad on the series he came in after resting from the hit. Bonner played well before that as well as the first 2 games. Nice to have 2 solid QB's.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » September 20th, 2021, 10:00 pm

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Bonner will not last the season unless there is a decent rotation plan with Peasley. We are three games in and every game he’s looked more banged up than the one before.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
MrBiggle

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » September 20th, 2021, 10:30 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Bonner will not last the season unless there is a decent rotation plan with Peasley. We are three games in and every game he’s looked more banged up than the one before.
This is a good point. He’s taken a beating, but he gets rid of the ball quick and makes good plays. It seems like he should be out of harms way for the most part, but he is still getting beat up. What gives?

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » September 20th, 2021, 10:31 pm

One thing is for certain, both guys are giving us and the coaches everything they have and the team is feeding off of their efforts.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 4):
USU78crazywookiesam tingeyJSHarvey

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » September 20th, 2021, 10:43 pm

If you've never taken a kidney punch you're not going to get how much Logan needed to ride pine Saturday. Good quarterbacks take punishment. It's part of the job.

Pease plays more, he takes more punishment, too. Thank Heaven we've got two competent guys. We're gonna need em both.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionbrownjeans

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 20th, 2021, 10:46 pm

Aglicious wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 10:31 pm
One thing is for certain, both guys are giving us and the coaches everything they have and the team is feeding off of their efforts.
This is so true. Coach A is playing this so well. Each has played a bunch. Logan earned the starting spot and then Peasley comes in and plays lights out. I think both are deserving and the team is playing well for both.

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » September 20th, 2021, 11:42 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 10:46 pm
Aglicious wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 10:31 pm
This is so true. Coach A is playing this so well. Each has played a bunch. Logan earned the starting spot and then Peasley comes in and plays lights out. I think both are deserving and the team is playing well for both.
Yes Blake Anderson went for it on fourth on the wrong side of the Field. Yes he went for it went he could have kicked a field goal. I would have done the opposite both times yet both times the man was right and I was wrong. I’m gonna trust him on the starting QB, dude is 3-0! Wow! But yes Peasley was lights out, I mean lights out Baby!
These users thanked the author Blue Sage for the post:
JSHarvey

#hornsup!

rAggie

Post by rAggie » September 20th, 2021, 11:55 pm

I wonder how effective Peasley would be if he played 100 percent of the snaps. I wonder how much of his effectiveness is the "different look" he gives when he comes in. I wonder if over the long term, Bonner is the better, more consistent option, but Peasley can be that spark.

Ideally for me, both are healthy and we are 70 percent Bonner, 30 percent Peasley. This would drive opponents wild and split their game prep attention, offering us a lot of benefits.
These users thanked the author rAggie for the post (total 2):
Aggie84025JSHarvey

Showing my True Colors since 2022

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » September 21st, 2021, 5:30 am

I am still not seeing it. I thought we learned after the new Mexico game last year not to judge Peasley based on one game. He still seems inconsistent. Also, how many times did we have 3rd and long while he was in the game. Peasley played well, but Bonner is moving the sticks too and is more consistent.

If Bonner is healthy then he should be the guy.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post (total 2):
BustaMcNuttFull

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » September 21st, 2021, 6:20 am

Why does it even matter right now. If one of the two looks bad put the other in. I thought it was a mistake for Bonner to go back in after he got hurt and thought he was trying to play hero ball and prove he’s tough. That just hurt our team and stopped momentum and we were lucky ti get the mo back but if Bonner isn’t hurt this game, let him see what he can do. Just have a quick trigger. I also think it would be wise ti start peasley and let Bonner heal a little if peasley does good. If he struggles let Bonner see what he can do. I don’t understand why it even matters who starts. What matters is who finishes.
These users thanked the author frankiesaysrelax for the post:
AggiePT

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » September 21st, 2021, 6:27 am

I feel like a lot of times the two QB thing fails is because guys start playing to not make mistakes in fear of being pulled out and replaced but it seems like our guys are trying to out play each other and earn time rather than lose time. As long as both guys feel like they are contributing and essential to the team we should be good. I think BA does a good job making them feel that way too

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 21st, 2021, 6:31 am

Two QBs often doesn't work because fans, players, and even the two QBs decide which guy as THE guy and start trying to gain supporters. It becomes divisive.

Perhaps we can avoid that by saying we have great confidence in BOTH.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 4):
frankiesaysrelaxAggieFBObsessionAggiePTLarryTheAggie

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » September 21st, 2021, 6:34 am

brownjeans wrote:
September 21st, 2021, 6:31 am
Two QBs often doesn't work because fans, players, and the two QBs choose THEIR guy as THE guy and start convincing others. It becomes divisive.

Perhaps we can avoid that by saying we have great confidence in BOTH.
That’s kind of the point I was trying to make in an extremely round about way. Yours was way more coherent than my ramblings.
These users thanked the author frankiesaysrelax for the post:
AggiePT

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » September 21st, 2021, 7:03 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
September 21st, 2021, 5:30 am
I am still not seeing it. I thought we learned after the new Mexico game last year not to judge Peasley based on one game. He still seems inconsistent. Also, how many times did we have 3rd and long while he was in the game. Peasley played well, but Bonner is moving the sticks too and is more consistent.

Nothing could be learned from last year. that is what I've figured out so far this year after 3 games. I agree that Bonner makes this offense run, if he is healthy. If Bonner is not 100%, i think you need to start Peasley.
These users thanked the author sam tingey for the post (total 2):
LarryTheAggieBLUERUFiO

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » September 21st, 2021, 7:14 am

CaptainChaos wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 10:30 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Bonner will not last the season unless there is a decent rotation plan with Peasley. We are three games in and every game he’s looked more banged up than the one before.
This is a good point. He’s taken a beating, but he gets rid of the ball quick and makes good plays. It seems like he should be out of harms way for the most part, but he is still getting beat up. What gives?

Let's remember that the injury against AF was a blatant late hit. If Peasley is in the game then he's the one taking the kidney shot two seconds after throwing the ball.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
JSHarvey

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » September 21st, 2021, 9:04 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
September 21st, 2021, 7:14 am
CaptainChaos wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 10:30 pm

Let's remember that the injury against AF was a blatant late hit. If Peasley is in the game then he's the one taking the kidney shot two seconds after throwing the ball.
I agree, nothing that could be done on that play. Bonner is tough as nails and he stands in there however he lacks mobility in the pocket and doesn't have a runner's instinct or quickness to move to minimize hits when he runs so he is not only a pretty big target but he allows defenders to lower their shoulders and drop their heads because they don't need to break down. Do that to Peasley and he leaves their jock straps on the ground.

But as to the kidney hit that was pure blindside. Would have occurred to anyone.

I am big on Peasley because I think he brings an incredible x-factor to every play that makes up for a throw in the dirt here and there as long as he is hitting deep like last week. However, its hard to argue with Bonner's toughness and leadership out there. I don't think his health can afford much RPO and reads though and as I have stated I think his poor deep ball ability is going to come into play against stouter run defenses with better pash rushers.

But its hard to second guess Anderson's QB decisions to date.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
FloridaAggie13

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » September 21st, 2021, 9:10 am

sam tingey wrote:
September 21st, 2021, 7:03 am
LarryTheAggie wrote:
September 21st, 2021, 5:30 am

Nothing could be learned from last year. that is what I've figured out so far this year after 3 games. I agree that Bonner makes this offense run, if he is healthy. If Bonner is not 100%, i think you need to start Peasley.
Who made the offense run better against AFA? Its hard to argue with 4 tds and a 2 pt conversion in 5 possessions. Peasley is special and I believe has a ton of potential to get better. He has the hot hand coming out of the AFA game and was as accurate as Bonner with 1 exception on the intermediate reads and throws. I would start him and if see if he can't continue to make magic against a better BSU defense. If he starts to show inaccuracy or poor decision making then Bonner is ready to go.

But then again Anderson is 3-0.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » September 21st, 2021, 9:43 am

I think the point people are making is that you know what you are getting with Bonner- the guy is as solid of a QB probably USU has ever had. Peasley is more dynamic but his style of play probably does have a higher likelihood of injury. Peasley is a risk reward type of play. I would just like to see how Blake would use Peasley if he wasn't being "forced" to use him.
I want to see what this team looks like when we have the upper hand and are imposing our will on the other team both offensively and defensively. When we get another team on their heels and start to roll (or if we just simply get a few lucky bounces) what type of situations does Blake put Peasley into? Hopefully we get to see this on Saturday.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » September 21st, 2021, 9:45 am

I love Peasley, but if Bonner is ready, you start him. Bonner gets rid of the ball much quicker, which mattered less last week than it will against Boise.

TBH, I would love to see them both on the field a few times just to se what we come up with.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

deltaaggie

Post by deltaaggie » September 21st, 2021, 9:57 am

Bonner. Love them both but Bonner moves the chains. Peasley can scramble and throw the long ball but I've seen too many missed passes 5-10 yards out. If Peasely could fix that, then I go with Peasley
These users thanked the author deltaaggie for the post:
BLUERUFiO

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » September 21st, 2021, 9:58 am

I like the idea of starting Bonner. Besides ND (in which he was not prepped by the coaches that he would be entering the game) Peasely did great off the bench against AF. Maybe he's one of those guys that excels coming off the bench? He was certainly ready for the moment against AF.

One thing I love is that the rest of the team seems to rally seamlessly regardless who the QB is. Only 3 games, but I have no issue at this point with either of these two guys. They play like real Aggies and give it their all.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » September 21st, 2021, 10:37 am

First, just like with AK and Chuckie, we have two very capable qb's and we can win with both. That's a good thing.

Here's the conundrum - and I never played ball in college so this is speculation and based on observation.

Bonner is the recognized starter at this point. If he is removed for anything other than an injury then the message being sent is that Peasley is better. AND, if Peasley goes in and lays an egg for three quarters and Bonner has to come back in then there is a real problem where both players will play without confidence and fear of being pulled. Problems we don't have right now.

Point being, if Peasley is anointed the starter role there is no turning back. Just look at the QB mess we had from 2014 until J. Love earned the position in late 2017.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
frankiesaysrelax

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » September 21st, 2021, 11:09 am

CaptainChaos wrote:
September 21st, 2021, 9:43 am
I think the point people are making is that you know what you are getting with Bonner- the guy is as solid of a QB probably USU has ever had. Peasley is more dynamic but his style of play probably does have a higher likelihood of injury. Peasley is a risk reward type of play. I would just like to see how Blake would use Peasley if he wasn't being "forced" to use him.
I want to see what this team looks like when we have the upper hand and are imposing our will on the other team both offensively and defensively. When we get another team on their heels and start to roll (or if we just simply get a few lucky bounces) what type of situations does Blake put Peasley into? Hopefully we get to see this on Saturday.
I think we are overinflating Bonner. He has been very poor in the fade game and anything deep and the 3 picks he has thrown were ugly underthrows that on a couple should have been big gains or TDs. Not that he hasn't very solid and clutch with great underneath accuracy and is tough as nails. but he is limited. I'd take Peasley any day as long as he was close to his accuracy against AFA and he also had unlimited upside. As far as injury potential they both have had injury histories and so much is up to chance but Bonner takes more of the harder shots where Peasley's slipperiness limits that.

But Anderson has called it right so far.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 21st, 2021, 11:39 am

FL350Aggie wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 9:18 pm
CaptainChaos wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 9:15 pm

Will Bonner even be ready? Anybody have an update on him?
I saw him on the field after the game Saturday and he seemed fine.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » September 21st, 2021, 11:41 am

newhouse9 wrote:
September 21st, 2021, 9:58 am
I like the idea of starting Bonner. Besides ND (in which he was not prepped by the coaches that he would be entering the game) Peasely did great off the bench against AF. Maybe he's one of those guys that excels coming off the bench? He was certainly ready for the moment against AF.

One thing I love is that the rest of the team seems to rally seamlessly regardless who the QB is. Only 3 games, but I have no issue at this point with either of these two guys. They play like real Aggies and give it their all.
I don't think the guys give a damn who the QB is. They are pissed that they are underestimated week in and week out and they will make it work regardless of who is behind the center.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
Aggie84025FloridaAggie13newtonianblue

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » September 21st, 2021, 11:43 am

Early criticism of Bonner was lack of mobility and lack of touch and strength on the deep ball. Peasley criticism was that he wasn't very accurate and didn't command the team/offense as well. I think as the season has gone on, we are seeing both of these guys show improvement is some of these ares. I think Bonner has shown he can hit the deep ball and make the touch passes and fades that he struggled with in week 1. His deep pass to Wright in the ND game was an absolute dime, as was the TD pass to McGriff last Saturday. I also think Peasley has shown that his accuracy has improved a lot since last season. He's hit some nice outs and slants so far this year.

So in my mind it comes down to two things, Bonner seems to command the offense and team better whereas Peasley has the added mobility dimension. Bonner seems like he is more capable of reading the defense and making audibles if needed and exploiting how the defense is lined up on a given play. He recognizes the blitzes well and is great at the slants as he gets the ball out quick and on time. Peasley seems more often than not to just run the play that is called, but the nice thing about Andrew is that he can extend a play and make something out of nothing if the called play breaks down. I think both have the leadership qualities (very talented, respect of teammates, and ice in their veins) that are required to be a special QB.

In the end, Peasley will continue to improve in the area of football IQ and commanding the offense as he gets more playing time. I don't suspect Bonner will get more mobile as time goes on. So, for now I think Bonner is likely the best choice (if healthy) but as Peasley gets more experience, I think he will pass Bonner as Peasley's inadequacies will vanish with time, Bonner's won't. That's why keeping Peasley involved and getting reps is very valuable. Just my thoughts.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
Aggie84025

stang

Post by stang » September 21st, 2021, 11:45 am

I've NEVER been a believer in a 2-QB system, and in fact I've been pretty adamantly opposed to it in all circumstances for most of my football-watching life. But I actually think this is a scenario where it might not be a bad idea. We have two very talented QB's each of whom has a very different skill set, and each of whom seem to be very selfless players and leaders of the team. I wouldn't hate using them each situationally moving forward.
These users thanked the author stang for the post (total 4):
aggies22BustaMcNuttFloridaAggie13PIGSKINAGGIE

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » September 21st, 2021, 11:49 am

stang wrote:
September 21st, 2021, 11:45 am
I've NEVER been a believer in a 2-QB system, and in fact I've been pretty adamantly opposed to it in all circumstances for most of my football-watching life. But I actually think this is a scenario where it might not be a bad idea. We have two very talented QB's each of whom has a very different skill set, and each of whom seem to be very selfless players and leaders of the team. I wouldn't hate using them each situationally moving forward.
I couldn't agree more my Aggie brother. They are just so different that it FORCES the opposing defense to have to game plan for both and that eats up A LOT of valuable practice time.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
LarryTheAggieFloridaAggie13BLUERUFiO

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » September 21st, 2021, 12:54 pm

aggies22 wrote:
September 21st, 2021, 11:49 am
stang wrote:
I couldn't agree more my Aggie brother. They are just so different that it FORCES the opposing defense to have to game plan for both and that eats up A LOT of valuable practice time.
This ^^ !

Both are so effective that it forces the opposition to prepare for both and their diverse skill-sets means different game planning. For example, AF didn't use a spy on Peasley until the final series because it was never in their plan for Bonner. Sure, going forward teams will know to use a spy when Peasley comes in but now it forces the entire defense to adjust and change their strategies.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » September 21st, 2021, 1:10 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
September 21st, 2021, 12:54 pm
aggies22 wrote:
September 21st, 2021, 11:49 am
stang wrote:
This ^^ !

Both are so effective that it forces the opposition to prepare for both and their diverse skill-sets means different game planning. For example, AF didn't use a spy on Peasley until the final series because it was never in their plan for Bonner. Sure, going forward teams will know to use a spy when Peasley comes in but now it forces the entire defense to adjust and change their strategies.
I agree with your idea of what strategy is going to be used going forward. It just might not matter. Peasley has elite speed for a quarterback. He might be the fastest collegiate QB in the nation. If he's not, I'd like to know who is faster.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13Sl7vk

Locked Previous topicNext topic