Blackout shirts

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
tysteve20

Blackout shirts

Post by tysteve20 » September 21st, 2021, 11:03 am

Usu campus store just started selling the Blackout shirts for our game vs BYUPROVO
$15

https://c-g.co/ANgJ4TvTX

ViAggie

Re: Blackout shirts

Post by ViAggie » September 21st, 2021, 11:04 am

Nice, but if we're wearing all black unis for the ybu game, we'd at least better have our white helmets. I doubt we will, I'm guessing we're all black, but why disadvantage ourselves like that?

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » September 21st, 2021, 11:21 am

ViAggie wrote:
September 21st, 2021, 11:04 am
Nice, but if we're wearing all black unis for the ybu game, we'd at least better have our white helmets. I doubt we will, I'm guessing we're all black, but why disadvantage ourselves like that?
I'm not crazy about doing a blackout against the Zoobs but what's the disadvantage of black helmet versus a white one?

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » September 21st, 2021, 11:23 am

That is one game to have everyone in blue, but oh well.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 21st, 2021, 11:33 am

ViAggie wrote:
I'm pretty sure we have black helmets for that one.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » September 21st, 2021, 11:57 am

I figure if the players like the blackout for a rivalry game, they should go for it.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » September 21st, 2021, 12:20 pm

Y'all remember these helmets were teased before the world went crazy last season? Still intrigued by what the idea was with them

Go Aggies!

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » September 21st, 2021, 12:34 pm

I forgot about those. Interesting!

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » September 21st, 2021, 12:51 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
September 21st, 2021, 12:20 pm
Y'all remember these helmets were teased before the world went crazy last season? Still intrigued by what the idea was with them
The blue portion seems like what they wear now. I like it better than the old black/blue pattern. I guess they just have a base chrome helmet and tint it blue? I’m not sure how that works.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » September 21st, 2021, 1:50 pm

I'm just old school and the current fashion show adventure does nothing for me. Perhaps some players get off with varied uniform options , but I'm fine with White, Navy and white home unis, and even the all white with Navy accents is tasteful. I just don't see the over the top parade of options for our AGGIES.

Navy Blue and white with accents work just fine for me. What more identity do we need?
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 21st, 2021, 2:05 pm

Hopefully we play better than the last “blackout” game.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » September 21st, 2021, 2:11 pm

The kits we wore against AF last week were the same set we used last time we beat up on byu. I'd gone with that but blackout is cool too. Will we have matte black helmets or black mirror or just gloss black?

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » September 21st, 2021, 2:38 pm

I'm a teeny bit superstitious, but not enough to believe that the uni combination we wear has any bearing on the outcome of the game. I'm not sure we need to keep doing the blackout game against the same team over and over again, however

Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 21st, 2021, 2:40 pm

I do think the blackout uniforms looked really good. We just played terribly in them.

tysteve20

Post by tysteve20 » September 21st, 2021, 2:45 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:The kits we wore against AF last week were the same set we used last time we beat up on byu. I'd gone with that but blackout is cool too. Will we have matte black helmets or black mirror or just gloss black?
Unless they got new helmets these are the ones from the last blackout game. Matte black

These users thanked the author tysteve20 for the post:
BLUERUFiO

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 21st, 2021, 2:48 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
September 21st, 2021, 11:21 am
ViAggie wrote:
I'm not crazy about doing a blackout against the Zoobs but what's the disadvantage of black helmet versus a white one?
Pretty well documented that white FB helmets are the best for the QB finding receivers, especially during night time games, darker helmets are harder to spot.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » September 21st, 2021, 2:56 pm

ViAggie wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
Pretty well documented that white FB helmets are the best for the QB finding receivers, especially during night time games, darker helmets are harder to spot.
Makes some sense. Thanks!

The only thing I hate is when both teams wear white helmets in the same game, or both wear dark helmets. I know the rule is that the jerseys have be contrasting but it can be confusing if both teams wear a jersey/pant/helmet combo that has both white and a dark color.

I also really hate it when Boise wears all blue everything on their blue field. I could hardly stand to watch their game last week because of that.

HakeemMyDream

Post by HakeemMyDream » September 21st, 2021, 3:28 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
September 21st, 2021, 2:05 pm
Hopefully we play better than the last “blackout” game.
Oh boy.... fun fact directly after that blackout game I burnt every shirt that was given out due to the bad luck and taste it left in my mouth.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » September 21st, 2021, 3:43 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
September 21st, 2021, 2:56 pm
ViAggie wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
Makes some sense. Thanks!

The only thing I hate is when both teams wear white helmets in the same game, or both wear dark helmets. I know the rule is that the jerseys have be contrasting but it can be confusing if both teams wear a jersey/pant/helmet combo that has both white and a dark color.

I also really hate it when Boise wears all blue everything on their blue field. I could hardly stand to watch their game last week because of that.
When BSu wears their top to bottom all blue non combination, the uniform loses color contrast. This color choice is much like what a junior football league uniform would look like, plus playing on their smurf turf does little to impress many with the non contrasting colors. Surely the team has better uniform options to present.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » September 21st, 2021, 4:44 pm

White helmets. Black jerseys. Pewter pants.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Blackout shirts

Post by TheAKAggie » September 21st, 2021, 6:47 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:The kits we wore against AF last week were the same set we used last time we beat up on byu. I'd gone with that but blackout is cool too. Will we have matte black helmets or black mirror or just gloss black?
Not correct, we went blue-white-white with bulls on the shoulder and aggies down the leg, not the poly inspired geometric pattern in the current uni’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » September 21st, 2021, 7:00 pm

Im not a rule expert so maybe someone can pipe in, but I’m very concerned we will wind up being penalized for the blackout jerseys we’ve worn in the past.

The numbers are supposed to contrast. If they don’t contrast significantly enough we get charged a timeout every quarter, plus a 15 yard penalty assessed AFTER kickoff for each half. FAMU did it a few years ago, although they did literal white on white. But the rule sounds discretionary enough, and we get screwed enough.

I’m wondering if there is an approval process that make it not a worry.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » September 21st, 2021, 7:58 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
September 21st, 2021, 7:00 pm
Im not a rule expert so maybe someone can pipe in, but I’m very concerned we will wind up being penalized for the blackout jerseys we’ve worn in the past.

The numbers are supposed to contrast. If they don’t contrast significantly enough we get charged a timeout every quarter, plus a 15 yard penalty assessed AFTER kickoff for each half. FAMU did it a few years ago, although they did literal white on white. But the rule sounds discretionary enough, and we get screwed enough.

Our blackout jerseys have always had white borders around the numbers. They've been very easy to read and we've never been penalized in the past so I don't see why that would change.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » September 21st, 2021, 8:33 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
September 21st, 2021, 7:58 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:

Our blackout jerseys have always had white borders around the numbers. They've been very easy to read and we've never been penalized in the past so I don't see why that would change.
I’m sure we looked into it and it’s fine. The AD and football team isn’t stupid and they know about the rules and mechanisms than I do.

I’m just wondering if it’s at all a risk. I’m not sure what level of contrast is required.

Here’s the most readily available version I was able to find (albeit a few years old- so maybe it’s changed)
“Jerseys must have clearly visible, permanent Arabic numerals measuring at least 8 and 10 inches in height front and back, respectively, and be of one solid color that itself is clearly in distinct contrast with the color of the jersey, irrespective of any border around the number“
I’m not sure how much this is enforced. I don’t watch much Boise or Arizona football but I believe they both now where solid numbers.

Personally I think the AD is smart enough to make sure it’s compliant. Then numbers may be on the right side of toeing the line anyway.

I’m just squeamish about the vagueness of “clearly in distinct contrast with the color of the jersey,“... I probably worry too much. But I also feel like if it’s enforced against anyone it would be us vs BYU.

tysteve20

Post by tysteve20 » September 21st, 2021, 10:50 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:

I’m sure we looked into it and it’s fine. The AD and football team isn’t stupid and they know about the rules and mechanisms than I do.

I’m just wondering if it’s at all a risk. I’m not sure what level of contrast is required.

Here’s the most readily available version I was able to find (albeit a few years old- so maybe it’s changed)
“Jerseys must have clearly visible, permanent Arabic numerals measuring at least 8 and 10 inches in height front and back, respectively, and be of one solid color that itself is clearly in distinct contrast with the color of the jersey, irrespective of any border around the number“
I’m not sure how much this is enforced. I don’t watch much Boise or Arizona football but I believe they both now where solid numbers.

Personally I think the AD is smart enough to make sure it’s compliant. Then numbers may be on the right side of toeing the line anyway.

I’m just squeamish about the vagueness of “clearly in distinct contrast with the color of the jersey,“... I probably worry too much. But I also feel like if it’s enforced against anyone it would be us vs BYU.
Again, this is assuming they’re using the same blackouts as a few years ago. There is contrast in addition to the reflective outline around the numbers

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » September 22nd, 2021, 12:51 am

tysteve20 wrote:
September 21st, 2021, 10:50 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:

Again, this is assuming they’re using the same blackouts as a few years ago. There is contrast in addition to the reflective outline around the numbers

But the numbers must contrast "irrespective of any border". Take out the border, what's the contrast?

Also, remember that picture that you provided is taken by a professional photographer with professional lighting (the opposite is true with the attached tweet). It's true that there is a contrast because they aren't the exact same color but I can also see someone saying they aren't clearly and distinctly contrasting. The rule seems vague to me, and it sketches me out that it could come down to a judgment call based on favorable lighting and the official not being a dick.

I think the jerseys look cool but why do you think teams like Nevada and BYU that also wear blue, dont use Navy numbering on their blackout jerseys and choose white numbers instead?

I think we're toeing the line, and my expectation is someone has been in contact with some type of official who gave the thumbs up and that's why we brightened the shade of blue from aggie blue. Toeing the line isn't crossing the line.

Full

Post by Full » September 22nd, 2021, 9:31 am

Moving on.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » September 22nd, 2021, 10:28 am

Full wrote:
September 22nd, 2021, 9:31 am

Moving on.
Maybe use your words. I posted the rule. I asked a question based on my interpretation of the rule. Because I don’t know.

I’ve said several times that I think it’s borderline and probably on this side of legal and I’m just interested in what that border is and what the approval process is.

A fan designed Jersey from Michigan state adds nothing, nor do 2 jerseys that contrast more. The only jersey of note you posted is the Oregon one. So thanks for posting that. It’s a good single data point.

If you aren’t interested in where the border line between legal and illegal is, how jerseys get approved, or the intricacies of why things are the way they are then you didn’t need to respond at all. I am interested, and it’s relevant because people were talking about blackout jerseys.

I was seeing if anyone else had knowledge or was interested too. Very few appear to be. Cool whatever, I have a unique point of curiosity- but you don’t need to be so dismissive especially if providing 3 completely irrelevant data points.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » September 22nd, 2021, 1:07 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
September 22nd, 2021, 10:28 am
Full wrote:

Moving on.
Maybe use your words. I posted the rule. I asked a question based on my interpretation of the rule. Because I don’t know.

I’ve said several times that I think it’s borderline and probably on this side of legal and I’m just interested in what that border is and what the approval process is.

A fan designed Jersey from Michigan state adds nothing, nor do 2 jerseys that contrast more. The only jersey of note you posted is the Oregon one. So thanks for posting that. It’s a good single data point.

If you aren’t interested in where the border line between legal and illegal is, how jerseys get approved, or the intricacies of why things are the way they are then you didn’t need to respond at all. I am interested, and it’s relevant because people were talking about blackout jerseys.

I was seeing if anyone else had knowledge or was interested too. Very few appear to be. Cool whatever, I have a unique point of curiosity- but you don’t need to be so dismissive especially if providing 3 completely irrelevant data points.
By my count he has 4,000 words in that post.

Aggiefan160

Post by Aggiefan160 » September 22nd, 2021, 1:47 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
September 22nd, 2021, 1:07 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
September 22nd, 2021, 10:28 am
Full wrote:

Moving on.

By my count he has 4,002 words in that post.
Fixed it for you. :)

To the OP, I don't know where the line is, but I agree, I think we are on this side of that line.
These users thanked the author Aggiefan160 for the post:
Imakeitrain

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » September 26th, 2021, 6:08 pm

Numbers have been changed to lighter colors
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post (total 2):
AussieAggieDadChowderAggie

Go Aggies!

tysteve20

Blackout shirts

Post by tysteve20 » September 26th, 2021, 6:08 pm

Looks like the numbers are now white

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » September 26th, 2021, 6:45 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
September 26th, 2021, 6:08 pm
Numbers have been changed to lighter colors
Dang, love the Polynesian fire dancing!!!

/proud former member of Tongan Club!!!
These users thanked the author ChowderAggie for the post:
Imakeitrain

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » September 27th, 2021, 9:24 am

Hale is a fire knife world champion. We should use him a lot.

jimbo

Post by jimbo » September 27th, 2021, 11:22 am

BigBlueDart wrote:
September 21st, 2021, 4:44 pm
White helmets. Black jerseys. Pewter pants.
Monochrome out - I like it.

Locked Previous topicNext topic