It was bad! But.....

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggiesdidwhat

It was bad! But.....

Post by aggiesdidwhat » September 25th, 2021, 3:37 pm

I truly feel like we LOST that game! (I know clearly we lost) BSU didn't beat us. Talk about mistakes after mistakes! Crazy thing is. We fought and fought. That was not great coaching on some of those calls...
Ouch. I didn't leave the game feeling defeated. Sucks we lost, but more then good enough to beat them if we don't have a terrible off day.

Thoughts?
These users thanked the author aggiesdidwhat for the post (total 2):
splintorbflying_scotsman2.0

USUMAE

Re: It was bad! But.....

Post by USUMAE » September 25th, 2021, 3:45 pm

Yup sloppy play across the board. We could've won that game and been 4-0.

I'm disappointed, of course, but not discouraged by any stretch. We can still win the division, we just aren't in complete control like we could've been. It is what it is.

Now, I'm looking at how will the team respond. Will they come out with a fire under them or act defeated ? I don't know. We'll see next week.

This season isn't lost by any stretch of the imagination.
These users thanked the author USUMAE for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » September 25th, 2021, 3:48 pm

How do you feel good about undisciplined play on defense at Air Force, undisciplined play on offense against Boise State and bad DB play mostly in all 4 games? This is going to be a yo-yo season.

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » September 25th, 2021, 3:57 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
September 25th, 2021, 3:48 pm
How do you feel good about undisciplined play on defense at Air Force, undisciplined play on offense against Boise State and bad DB play mostly in all 4 games? This is going to be a yo-yo season.
We’re not comparing this team to Alabama. The O/U for wins this year was 3.5. The Aggies have already won 3 games and I can’t speak for anyone else but I’ve enjoyed these first four games more than I expected to enjoy the entire season.

So, sure, maybe it will be a yo-yo season. But wouldn’t a yo-yo season after a 3-0 start be something to celebrate relative to any realistic expectations?
These users thanked the author MarioWest for the post (total 6):
ineptimusprimeflying_scotsman2.0treesap32JSHarvey3rdGenAggieBLUERUFiO

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 25th, 2021, 4:01 pm

Discipline issues, playing from behind the whole game, bad decisions, etc. ON THE PLUS SIDE! GD our red zone D!!!! This game could have been a heck-of-a-lot worse.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

aggiesdidwhat

Post by aggiesdidwhat » September 25th, 2021, 4:22 pm

I felt like BSU didn't dominate us at all. We just kept giving it away over and over. It felt different. Our offense was moving fine... Then always something undisciplined.

AggieFB, I never said I felt GOOD! I believe this team is different and will still have a strong year!

Go Aggies! This is the first game like this with new coaches. Let's see how they recover against BYUseless!

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 25th, 2021, 4:44 pm

It was bad, but there wasn’t anything that changed my expectations. We outgained them, right? It obviously wasn’t a close game, but the stats show it should have been a close game. We won’t kill ourselves like that again.

Still fully expect to lose pretty badly this week to BYU, then go no worse than 4-3 the rest of the way.

7-5 or 8-4, a P5 win, and a revenge win against AFA will be a much more solid than expected start to the BA era.

Chin up, Aggies.

We’re also only a little over a month away from the Ryan Odom era. I got this itch that special things are in store for us with Coach Odom.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
JSHarveygomretat

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » September 25th, 2021, 5:13 pm

We did lose that game but Boise took advantage.

Sometimes it comes across as sour grapes when we take credit away from the team that won. Boise took advantage of our mistakes.

Lear the lesson, make fewer mistakes. If we learn that we can beat BYU.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » September 25th, 2021, 5:17 pm

MarioWest wrote:
September 25th, 2021, 3:57 pm
So, sure, maybe it will be a yo-yo season. But wouldn’t a yo-yo season after a 3-0 start be something to celebrate relative to any realistic expectations?
Absolutely. However, don't be surprised if we lose to a Colorado State, UNLV or New Mexico. All 3 of those teams are capable of beating us.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 25th, 2021, 5:19 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
September 25th, 2021, 5:17 pm
MarioWest wrote:
Absolutely. However, don't be surprised if we lose to a Colorado State, UNLV or New Mexico. All 3 of those teams are capable of beating us.
Csu has rebounded from their first two weeks a bit. Beat up Toledo last week and hung with the current number five team today

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 25th, 2021, 5:31 pm

Boise took advantage and we did not. Our red zone offense was putrid. It is weird because most years i leave the Boise game and feel like we just got out physicalled and outmanned, i did not feel that way at all this game. I felt like the Aggies matched up well overall with Boise. The score does not show that, but that is how it felt to me.

The team needs to start faster and stop making stupid mistakes. We moved the ball effectively between the 20's, but bogged down in the redzone. The defense overall played pretty good, good enough for the Aggies to win if the offense capitalized in the red zone.

Still super happy where this team is, we still can a have a super successful season by USU's standards. Excited to see how this team comes out and play's after the performance today.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
Imakeitrain

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 25th, 2021, 5:33 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
MarioWest wrote:
Yep, but after Friday, every game is at worst a coin flip. We should be favored in most.

Wyoming and SJSU looked putrid today.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 25th, 2021, 5:37 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
September 25th, 2021, 5:33 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:
MarioWest wrote:
Yep, but after Friday, every game is at worst a coin flip. We should be favored in most.

Outside of maybe NMSU any team on the remaining schedule could beat the Aggies if we don't play well. On the flip side I don't see a team on the remaining schedule that we should not be able to win or if we did would be a huge surprise.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » September 25th, 2021, 5:44 pm

I thought that for the first time this year the offense looked panicked and played tight and nervous. When they didn't get into the endzone on those first two drives, they freaked out and didn't play loose like they did in the other games. Also - why did we abandon the slants and post routes to the shift, middle part of their zone? We got some easy completions and a ton of yards there early.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Eutaw St. Aggie

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » September 25th, 2021, 5:58 pm

Yossarian wrote:
September 25th, 2021, 5:44 pm
I thought that for the first time this year the offense looked panicked and played tight and nervous. When they didn't get into the endzone on those first two drives, they freaked out and didn't play loose like they did in the other games. Also - why did we abandon the slants and post routes to the shift, middle part of their zone? We got some easy completions and a ton of yards there early.
They went to a bracket coverage with a safety over the top to stop those. Left the middle wide open all 2nd half. A tight end seam would have opened things back up.
These users thanked the author Ahbye for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 25th, 2021, 6:01 pm

Ahbye wrote:
September 25th, 2021, 5:58 pm
Yossarian wrote:
September 25th, 2021, 5:44 pm
They went to a bracket coverage with a safety over the top to stop those. Left the middle wide open all 2nd half. A tight end seam would have opened things back up.
THe offense needs to utilize the tight ends more. There are some opportunities for the tight ends to help.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 25th, 2021, 7:47 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:
MarioWest wrote:

Yep. The rivalry game will be tough, but afterwards there is no game on the schedule that is that daunting. We may drop a couple, but even if we do, 8-4 would be a great season in year 1 for a new coaching staff after last year's nightmare.

Today sucked, but looking at the big picture we can still have a great season and we are still way ahead of schedule. We also still have a very good shot to make the MW Championship game. This season has 2013 vibe where we lost badly to Boise State at home, but took care of business against our weaker MW schedule while Boise had the tougher side of the other division and dropped a couple games. Boise has to go to Fresno and San Diego State, plus Nevada won't be a gimme. We play bad San Jose State, UNLV and Hawaii teams.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 25th, 2021, 8:25 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
September 25th, 2021, 7:47 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:
MarioWest wrote:

Yep. The rivalry game will be tough, but afterwards there is no game on the schedule that is that daunting. We may drop a couple, but even if we do, 8-4 would be a great season in year 1 for a new coaching staff after last year's nightmare.

Today sucked, but looking at the big picture we can still have a great season and we are still way ahead of schedule. We also still have a very good shot to make the MW Championship game. This season has 2013 vibe where we lost badly to Boise State at home, but took care of business against our weaker MW schedule while Boise had the tougher side of the other division and dropped a couple games. Boise has to go to Fresno and San Diego State, plus Nevada won't be a gimme. We play bad San Jose State, UNLV and Hawaii teams.
I could def be wrong but I bet Boise beats 2 out of 3 of
The west division. I think on paper Boise still has a ton of talent.

GUS

Post by GUS » September 25th, 2021, 8:28 pm

Problem with getting to the MWC championship game is that now Boise wins the tiebreaker. Boise would have to lose two conference games.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » September 25th, 2021, 8:30 pm

slcagg wrote:
September 25th, 2021, 8:25 pm
I'm betting they lose to SDSU and Fresno State and beat Nevada. I think there's a good chance that they lose to Air Force.
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 25th, 2021, 8:32 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
September 25th, 2021, 8:30 pm
slcagg wrote:
I'm betting they lose to SDSU and Fresno State and beat Nevada. I think there's a good chance that they lose to Air Force.
I would pick them to beat Air Force on the Blue, but I would pick SDSU and Fresno to beat them in California. We'll see. I believe if USU runs the table, we'll be playing in the MW title game, but that is of course a very tough ask. We can't have a single letdown.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 25th, 2021, 8:51 pm

September 25th, 2021, 8:32 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:
slcagg wrote:
I would pick them to beat Air Force on the Blue, but I would pick SDSU and Fresno to beat them in California. We'll see. I believe if USU runs the table, we'll be playing in the MW title game, but that is of course a very tough ask. We can't have a single letdown.
I personally don’t think SDSU is great. Both Utah and Arizona aren’t as good as say Oklahoma state.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
AggieFBObsession

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » September 25th, 2021, 8:53 pm

I echo most of you in this thread. The Ags had their chances, they just couldn’t get out of their own way.
A 7-5 or 8-4 season would exceed ALL of my expectations. I think the Ags respond next week with a lot better game vs YBU.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » September 25th, 2021, 9:13 pm

I have yet to see anything during this season that would suggest a big change in discipline. That is who we are until they show something different.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 25th, 2021, 10:16 pm

slcagg wrote:
September 25th, 2021, 8:51 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:
slcagg wrote:
I personally don’t think SDSU is great. Both Utah and Arizona aren’t as good as say Oklahoma state.
Yeah we'll see. Boise State hasn't been overly impressive this year. They could go 7-1 or better in the MW, but from what I've seen from them, I'd bet against it. Obviously USU running the table in the MW won't be an easy task, but our schedule is very favorable. Our toughest remaining conference game is probably Wyoming at home and that is a very winnable game.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 25th, 2021, 10:21 pm

September 25th, 2021, 10:16 pm
slcagg wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:
slcagg wrote:
Yeah we'll see. Boise State hasn't been overly impressive this year. They could go 7-1 or better in the MW, but from what I've seen from them, I'd bet against it. Obviously USU running the table in the MW won't be an easy task, but our schedule is very favorable. Our toughest remaining conference game is probably Wyoming at home and that is a very winnable game.
You see Wyoming beat UConn today 24-22. There are some who have speculated that UConn might be the least capable fbs team of all time . While that may be inaccurate they aren’t very good at football.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 25th, 2021, 10:35 pm

slcagg wrote:
September 25th, 2021, 10:21 pm
September 25th, 2021, 10:16 pm
slcagg wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:
slcagg wrote:
You see Wyoming beat UConn today 24-22. There are some who have speculated that UConn might be the least capable fbs team of all time . While that may be inaccurate they aren’t very good at football.
Exactly. Wyoming is undefeated, but barely beat Montana State and Uconn. USU should beat them at home.

UNLV, Hawaii, San Jose State and New Mexico have all been brutal. Colorado State has actually played good defense over the past two weeks. They might be our toughest game, but overall they haven't looked good and we should beat them at home.

Should be fun. Definitely didn't expect to see an Aggie team that had a chance to win 10 games this year. Obviously got to go do it and be locked in every week. Fresno didn't come out of the gate prepared and needed a great 4th quarter to beat a bad unlv team.

bull

Post by bull » September 25th, 2021, 11:37 pm

I watched the Fresno/UNLV game and it didn’t look like UNLV was bad to me, honestly I think they are underrated, and if teams overlook them they may be surprised. Yes we are in a good position but it will take a lot of focus. The remaining conference schedule is not as easy as some are insinuating.
I do agree with what someone said about usually being manhandled by Boise but not the case today. I kept thinking if we could just settle down and get sharp we would pull it out. obviously that never happened but the potential is there.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » September 26th, 2021, 6:41 am

bull wrote:
September 25th, 2021, 11:37 pm
I watched the Fresno/UNLV game and it didn’t look like UNLV was bad to me, honestly I think they are underrated, and if teams overlook them they may be surprised. Yes we are in a good position but it will take a lot of focus. The remaining conference schedule is not as easy as some are insinuating.
Spot on. Every MWC team is capable of beating us. UNM has at least a decent defense.

Locked Previous topicNext topic