Week 4: How I'm ranking the MWC

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AggieFBObsession

Week 4: How I'm ranking the MWC

Post by AggieFBObsession » September 26th, 2021, 6:21 am

Disclaimer, I’ll add highlight videos tomorrow.
#1 Fresno State 4-1, 1-0
Fresno State 38-UNLV 30
Jalen Cropper had 4 TD catches and 108 yards receiving. The Bullgods keep churning out talent at WR, year after year. This was a 30-28 game with 6 minutes left in the 4th Qtr where UNLV was leading! There aren’t going to be any nights off in the MWC this year, not even for Fresno State. Fresno State is #1 in scoring offense, #2 in total offense, #2 in total defense.
Next game: Fresno State travels to Hawaii.
Preview: Fresno State is #3 in passing defense and Hawaii is #11. It’s going to be another good week for Jake Haener.

#2 Boise State 2-2, 1-0
Boise State 27-Utah State 3
Hank Bachmeir had 287yds passing and 2 TDs. He miraculously retrieved several bad snaps during the game which could’ve completely changed the game and in almost every case turned it into positive yardage. The Broncos held the Aggies to 208 yds passing, which is well below their season average before the game of 357yds passing. The Broncos also created 3 turnovers and stopped the Aggies twice on 4th down. The Broncos lead the nation now in turnover margin at 3.3:1.
Next game: Boise State hosts Nevada
Preview: Nevada doesn’t have much of a running game. And with this one being played on the blue turf, I can’t see Nevada winning.

#3 San Diego State 4-0
SDSU 48-Towson 21
The Aztecs didn’t have anyone with more than 100yds rushing but had 281 as a team. Chance Bell had 79yds rushing and 1 TD. The Aztecs lead the MWC in total defense.
Next game: Bye

#4 Nevada 2-1
Nevada #2 in passing offense and #1 in passing defense. Nevada is a putrid #11 in rushing offense.
Next game: Nevada travels to Boise State

#5 Utah State 3-1, 1-1
Boise State 27-Utah State 3
See my Utah State blurb below.
Next game: Utah State hosts BYU on Friday

#6 San Jose State 2-2
Western Michigan 23-SJSU 3
Nick Starkel had 55 yards passing in this game. Enough said. Pathetic performance by the Spartans. We knew this would be a tough game for the Spartans, but we didn’t expect a spanking. Yes, W. Michigan beat Pittsburgh, but SJSU has not looked good this year and the defending champs no longer deserve the benefit of the doubt.
Next game: San Jose State hosts NMSU

#7 Air Force 3-1, 0-1
Air Force 31-Florida Atlantic 7
Haaziq Daniels had 164 yards rushing and 2 TDs. Air Force had this game put to bed at half with a 24-7 lead. Air Force had 446 yards rushing total.
Next game: Air Force travels to New Mexico
Preview: Air Force destroyed Florida Atlantic and really put the hurt on Utah State offensively, so I can’t see New Mexico slowing them down.

#8 Wyoming 4-0
Wyoming 24-UConn 22
I wanted to rank Wyoming higher, but I just can’t. They had to come from behind and the game was tied going into the 4th Qtr. UConn is easily one of the bottom 5 in FBS. If it weren’t for 101yds rushing from Valladay, Wyoming loses. The QB play from Chambers was horrid; 149yds passing and 2 INTs.

#9 Colorado State 1-3
#5 Iowa 24-Colorado St 14
This game was 14-14 through much of the 3rd Qtr. The Rams were only outgained by 28 yards. If you haven’t seen McBride at TE for the Rams yet, then you’re missing a treat. He’s probably a 1st round NFL draft pick.

#10 Hawaii 2-3
Hawaii 41-NMSU 21
Nick Mardner had 120 yds receiving and 1 TD. Hawaii had over 200 yds rushing in this game.
Next game: Hawaii hosts Fresno State

#11 New Mexico 2-2
UTEP 20-UNM 13
The Lobos had a 13-3 halftime lead and were dominated in the 2nd half 17-0. I wanted to rank them below UNLV, but the Lobos rank 3rd in the MWC in total defense. And the Rebels are last in total offense and defense. If Brumfield gets more playing time at UNLV, then UNM will hold that #12 spot solidly. In case you’re interested in the MWC pillow fight of the year, it’ll happen on 6 November in Albuquerque between the two teams.
Next game: New Mexico hosts Air Force.

#12 UNLV 0-4, 0-1
When the Rebels were led by Doug Brumfield at QB, they played quite well offensively and led the game against the Bullgods. When he was hurt, there was a considerable step backwards in their offensive attack. Look for this in the future to see if the Rebs can get a boost in upcoming games.
Next game: UNLV travels to UTSA who just got a quality win against Memphis.

Utah State Blurb:
Looking back at the Boise State game, I said going into the game that it would be determined by turnovers. It’s clear that the coaches would want to solidify that with poor play calling on fourth down. The Aggies had 1 FG in 4 trips to the redzone (Thank you, @AGGIEinIOWA ). This Utah State team still lacks a true leader on offense who will keep them out of trouble and not make critical mistakes in critical moments. Bonner has tried to take that role, but failed in many instances. Peasley has tried to take that role but failed in many instances. Justin Rice, although not flawless, has taken that role on the defense and needs to be more of a leader there. Looking ahead both of the QBs need to be ready for a battle and mistake free game. Utah State is 2nd to last (Just ahead of UNLV) in the MWC in total defense. Utah State is 2nd to last in rushing defense with only Boise State behind and 3rd to last in passing defense with Hawaii and UNLV behind. Part of the issue with the rankings is who you’ve played, but mostly those stats reflect a significant weakness. Utah State has issues in the defensive backfield. Fortunately, BYU isn’t nearly as talented at WR as Boise State. However, the question is do they have to be? I think the biggest concern is the maturity of the QB. If you look at the box score with South Florida (who they only beat by a TD) then you’ll notice that Baylor Romney started at QB. Jaren Hall suffered bruised ribs in the Arizona State game. I suspect that he was held out as a precaution to keep him healthy for the Utah State game. The Aggies are going to have to be ready to put hits on him and not let him feel comfortable. I’m predicting an Aggie win on Saturday. Several other BYU players were injured for the South Florida game. This game will be close, but I’m expecting the Aggies to rebound and the yo-yo season to continue. Key game statistic: This feels like a repeat of the Boise State game in that Utah State must win the turnover battle and not be penalized too much. BYU is 7th in the nation in turnover margin and 18th in fewest penalties per game.

MWC Players having earned my respect as 1st Team
Offense:
QB Jake Haener, Fresno State
RB Calvin Tyler Jr, Utah State; Greg Bell, SDSU
OL TBD
TE Trey McBride, Colorado State (NFL Draft pick)
WR Khalil Shakir, Boise State (NFL Draft pick); WR Jalen Cropper, Fresno State (NFL Draft pick); Deven Thompkins, Utah State
Defense:
Safety: JL Skinner, Boise State (NFL Draft pick); Seyi Oladipo, Boise State
CB: Cortez Davis, Hawaii; Corvan Taylor, Air Force; Tayler Hawkins, SDSU
LB: Justin Rice, Utah State (NFL Draft pick); Chad Muma, Wyoming
DL: Kevin Atkins, Fresno State; Arron Mosby, Fresno State (NFL Draft pick); Cameron Thomas, SDSU; Tristan Nichols, Nevada

Previous Rankings:
https://www.usufans.com/Forums/viewtopi ... =4&t=59108
https://www.usufans.com/Forums/viewtopi ... =4&t=58983
https://www.usufans.com/Forums/viewtopi ... =4&t=58882
Last edited by AggieFBObsession on September 26th, 2021, 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post (total 3):
slcaggaggies22PIGSKINAGGIE

slcagg

Re: Week 4: How I'm ranking the MWC

Post by slcagg » September 26th, 2021, 6:40 am

Thanks fbo. I really enjoy these reads each week.

I’d put Sjsu behind Air Force and maybe Wyoming. Other than that I’d pretty much vote the same way.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Locked Previous topicNext topic