Gary Andersen article in the Athletic

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aglicious
Site Admin

Re: Gary Andersen article in the Athletic

Post by Aglicious » October 12th, 2021, 10:25 am

AgMac wrote:
October 12th, 2021, 9:55 am
It's hard for me to have any confidence in Mandel's reporting when he states that Dave Aranda pursued the job in 2018. There is no chance in hell that is true. Aranda was making $2.5M/yr at LSU as part of a guaranteed $10M contract. The only way he leaves that is for a P5 job (and money), which is exactly what happened. No way he pursued the USU job.
This was the only bit of information in the entire article that made me :shock: . It makes NO sense for the exact reasons you stated.

I was actually so excited to read this when it popped up on my Athletic feed because I thought someone was finally going to get to the bottom of the mysterious Gary Andersen and ask some hard questions of people in the know. Instead it was just some lame recap of where he had coached and pointing out how odd his path was without giving any real reasons as to why. They got into some problems on the surface like the clash of philosophies between GA and Alvarez at Wiscy and then brushed over the issues at OSU by using the good old "bad assistants" story that we have already heard based on his emails/texts to the Oregon journalist. All this is old news and doesn't explain what was truly going on. Hartwell refused to be interviewed for the article (not a surprise) so we get nothing about GA 2.0 at USU.

Pretty disappointing.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
FloridaAggie13

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: Gary Anderson Athletic Article

Post by aggies22 » October 12th, 2021, 10:36 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
October 11th, 2021, 10:09 am
1. Aranda would have been a great hire if he really wanted it. If that's true Jim Laub screwed the pooch worse than we thought by insisting on GA.

2. I can't read the article. Was the resignation letter when he "resigned" from Utah State? If he "resigned" from USU the second time, I feel pretty confident USU allowed it so GA could save face, but he was gone whether he wanted to be or not.
In regards to point #1, why do you think we suddenly have money to pay coordinators more money and bring in all these different analysts. We currently have the largest football staff we have EVER had.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 4):
3rdGenAggieFloridaAggie13AggieFBObsessionBLUERUFiO

aggies22

Re: Gary Anderson Athletic Article

Post by aggies22 » October 12th, 2021, 10:38 am

Floppy Hat wrote:
October 11th, 2021, 1:44 pm
AgMan21 wrote:
October 11th, 2021, 12:06 pm
On a somewhat related note, did Laub withdraw all his support of Aggie athletics? I noticed there wasn't a single CVE ad in the stadium when I was there for the BYU game.
Not at all, in fact he had a big impact on the large increase in our assistant coach salaries.
100% correct my Aggie brother.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
MWCFAN12

Floppy Hat
Pick'em Champ - '15,'19 FB Predict the Score; '17 Kickoff; '18 Weekly; '19 Bowl
Has thanked: 0

Post by Floppy Hat » October 12th, 2021, 10:41 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
October 12th, 2021, 7:05 am
The letter clearly reflects a waiver of damages that would flow to USU, not Gary. Does anyone have the liquidated damages clause from his contract handy?

No idea if that was just a strategic attempt to get Gary on record agreeing with USU’s framing of events to head off litigation if Gary changed his mind about pursuing his buyout, whether it means Gary “quit,” or, if as speculated, there was some other “for cause”basis to terminate him/find him in breach that USU was agreeing to waive.
Just to clarify, the entire "liquidated damages" section is in reference to Coach or USU ending the contract for convenience. Just because the resignation letter references "liquidated damages" doesn't mean Gary was fired.

These users thanked the author Floppy Hat for the post:
MWCFAN12

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » October 12th, 2021, 10:59 am

Floppy Hat wrote:
October 12th, 2021, 10:41 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
The letter clearly reflects a waiver of damages that would flow to USU, not Gary. Does anyone have the liquidated damages clause from his contract handy?

No idea if that was just a strategic attempt to get Gary on record agreeing with USU’s framing of events to head off litigation if Gary changed his mind about pursuing his buyout, whether it means Gary “quit,” or, if as speculated, there was some other “for cause”basis to terminate him/find him in breach that USU was agreeing to waive.
Just to clarify, the entire "liquidated damages" section is in reference to Coach or USU ending the contract for convenience. Just because the resignation letter references "liquidated damages" doesn't mean Gary was fired.

No, but John Hartwell stating that he was means he was fired.

He talked about it in an interview with 1280, and the student paper wrote about in June.

https://1280thezone.com/utah-state-athl ... -andersen/

https://usustatesman.com/state-of-the-u ... -hartwell/

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » October 12th, 2021, 11:07 am

AgMac wrote:
It's hard for me to have any confidence in Mandel's reporting when he states that Dave Aranda pursued the job in 2018. There is no chance in hell that is true. Aranda was making $2.5M/yr at LSU as part of a guaranteed $10M contract. The only way he leaves that is for a P5 job (and money), which is exactly what happened. No way he pursued the USU job.
Dave Aranda was VERY interested in the Head Coach job here. Money was not an issue.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 6):
MWCFAN12USU78FloridaAggie13AggieFBObsessionBLUERUFiOjackattack

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » October 12th, 2021, 11:08 am

Floppy Hat wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Regardless of what anyone wants to believe, Gary was fired.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 4):
NowhereLandAggieAggiefan33USU78AggieFBObsession

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » October 12th, 2021, 11:14 am

aggies22 wrote:
October 12th, 2021, 11:07 am
AgMac wrote:
Dave Aranda was VERY interested in the Head Coach job here. Money was not an issue.
It is like Jay Hill. He was offered a coordinator position at the University of Utah for more money, but he wanted to be a head coach and finish the job.

People will take pay cuts for that type of opportunity.
These users thanked the author NowhereLandAggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Floppy Hat
Pick'em Champ - '15,'19 FB Predict the Score; '17 Kickoff; '18 Weekly; '19 Bowl
Has thanked: 0

Post by Floppy Hat » October 12th, 2021, 11:31 am

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
October 12th, 2021, 10:59 am

No, but John Hartwell stating that he was means he was fired.

He talked about it in an interview with 1280, and the student paper wrote about in June.

https://1280thezone.com/utah-state-athl ... -andersen/

https://usustatesman.com/state-of-the-u ... -hartwell/
I'm not saying he wasn't fired and I knew I should have clarified that when I posted. Too many people jumped on the "liquidated damages" as evidence he was fired and I was trying to point out that it can't be interpreted that way.
These users thanked the author Floppy Hat for the post:
NowhereLandAggie

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » October 12th, 2021, 11:31 am

aggies22 wrote:
AgMac wrote:
Wow, that’s a gut punch. Boosters thank you for investing in USU we really appreciate it, but please stay out of hiring decisions.
These users thanked the author FL350Aggie for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggiebrownjeans

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » October 12th, 2021, 11:50 am

It is a little bit funny as to how diffent ends of this are trying to get "their" side of the story out.... BUT STILL NOT TELL EVEN CLOSE TO THE FULL STORY. There is a bunch of stuff that has never really came to light here. And for Gary's sake and USU's sake I hope it never does. Gary is a good man, mistakes were made I wish him the best. Jon is a good AD, could have done a few things different and buy in a bit more, He has learned a lesson or two and moved on.

I wish all the parties the best and hope that is 10 plus years we are giving GA a standing O during halftime of a game to celebrate the WAC championship. He did a lot for the program.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 12th, 2021, 12:14 pm

I honestly just get tired of the veiled, wink-wink, posts about this Gary mess. It would seem that there are many who could enlighten the rest of us. All of the secrecy just lets minds wander to the worst of the worst scenarios. I find it all rather tiresome and annoying. I respect those who feel they can't discuss it, but I also don't care to hear about what you know but can't say.

This is obviously a puff piece to get Gary's name back out in the coaching field. Good for him. He was not a good coach the last go around, and I don't want him back around our program in any form.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 3):
FloridaAggie13apoOrangeCountyAggie

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » October 12th, 2021, 12:19 pm

NVAggie wrote:
October 12th, 2021, 12:14 pm
I honestly just get tired of the veiled, wink-wink, posts about this Gary mess. It would seem that there are many who could enlighten the rest of us. All of the secrecy just lets minds wander to the worst of the worst scenarios. I find it all rather tiresome and annoying. I respect those who feel they can't discuss it, but I also don't care to hear about what you know but can't say.

This is obviously a puff piece to get Gary's name back out in the coaching field. Good for him. He was not a good coach the last go around, and I don't want him back around our program in any form.
Exactly. Either provide one piece of confirmable evidence or stop talking about it. I'd be willing to bet that 90% of people that talk about a "cheerleader problem" or a "drinking problem" are now sharing fifth-hand information and likely have never met Gary or have any sort of worthwhile inside information.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
apo

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » October 12th, 2021, 12:26 pm

As a public employee, the truth should come out. This isn't a private company. GA was one of the states highest paid state employees, who is fired mysteriously and we the public doesn't know why?
These users thanked the author TrueAG for the post:
apo

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 12th, 2021, 12:32 pm

aggies22 wrote:
AgMac wrote:
If that is the case, it is the first thing I'm upset with Hartwell on. It should have been Aranda's job if he wanted it regardless of what a booster wanted.

stang

Post by stang » October 12th, 2021, 12:39 pm

Gary was fired, but I truly believe that it came as a relief when he got the call from Hartwell. I remember posting on here that Gary didn't want the 2020 season to happen at all, and understandably people were skeptical because that's so far off from the person that he was in his first stint, but that was the truth. He quit Oregon State because he didn't want to be a head coach, but he thought that returning to his roots would bring back some of the old fire. It clearly did not.

It's hard to comprehend a truly mutual parting of ways, especially when so much money is involved, but I think this was about as close as it gets. Gary wasn't going to quit because that's not who he is, but that doesn't mean he wasn't ready to be done.
These users thanked the author stang for the post:
2004AG

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » October 12th, 2021, 12:40 pm

TrueAG wrote:
October 12th, 2021, 12:26 pm
As a public employee, the truth should come out. This isn't a private company. GA was one of the states highest paid state employees, who is fired mysteriously and we the public doesn't know why?
A public institution has to release information when asked, but they don't have to volunteer information.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 12th, 2021, 12:43 pm

stang wrote:
October 12th, 2021, 12:39 pm
Gary was fired, but I truly believe that it came as a relief when he got the call from Hartwell. I remember posting on here that Gary didn't want the 2020 season to happen at all, and understandably people were skeptical because that's so far off from the person that he was in his first stint, but that was the truth. He quit Oregon State because he didn't want to be a head coach, but he thought that returning to his roots would bring back some of the old fire. It clearly did not.

It's hard to comprehend a truly mutual parting of ways, especially when so much money is involved, but I think this was about as close as it gets. Gary wasn't going to quit because that's not who he is, but that doesn't mean he wasn't ready to be done.
You say quitting isn't who he is, but in your previous paragraph you say he quit from Oregon State.
Last edited by Aggie formerly in Hawaii on October 12th, 2021, 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » October 12th, 2021, 12:43 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
October 12th, 2021, 12:40 pm
TrueAG wrote:
A public institution has to release information when asked, but they don't have to volunteer information.
That's the point and shows how little people care about USU. If this had happened at the U, do you think there would be little to no coverage or follow up?

stang

Post by stang » October 12th, 2021, 12:46 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
October 12th, 2021, 12:43 pm
stang wrote:

You say quitting isn't who he is, but in your previous paragraph you say he quit from Oregon State.
You're right, let me rephrase... he wasn't going to quit because he doesn't see himself as a quitter and doesn't want to be perceived as such.

Gary quit on his team well before the season began. I just don't think that he was going to be the one making the call to leave USU.
These users thanked the author stang for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiFloridaAggie13

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » October 12th, 2021, 12:49 pm

stang wrote:

So, why do you think Keegan is so mad about the situation then?

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » October 12th, 2021, 12:53 pm

2004AG wrote:
October 12th, 2021, 12:49 pm
stang wrote:

I doubt Keegan knows much about his parents' inner and personal lives, as is likely the case for the majority of us. But, like Keegan, we will always defend our parents if a perceived attack comes.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

stang

Post by stang » October 12th, 2021, 12:57 pm

2004AG wrote:
October 12th, 2021, 12:49 pm
stang wrote:

I think Keegan is so mad about the situation because it put him out of a job and because he knew he wasn't going to find another because frankly he wasn't qualified for the one that he had.

He probably feels like his pops was wronged for one reason or another, but even though he probably won't ever publicly admit it, Gary had little to no interest in coaching football long before he was given the axe.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » October 12th, 2021, 12:59 pm

TrueAG wrote:
October 12th, 2021, 12:43 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
October 12th, 2021, 12:40 pm
TrueAG wrote:
That's the point and shows how little people care about USU. If this had happened at the U, do you think there would be little to no coverage or follow up?
I don't know that this is the case with GA's firing, but that fact could work to USU's favor in some situations.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 12th, 2021, 1:09 pm

NVAggie wrote:

This type of secrecy?

I have a friend who worked with Alvarez for three years in the Wisconsin athletic department and then followed GA to OSU; his brother was an assistant with GA in OSU and during GA's second stint in Logan, and helped GA find a third party legal firm to negotiate and consult with Hartwell as they hashed out terms and wording for GA's release from his contract.

Can't really say much more though...don't want to let the cat out of the bag. Could get in trouble. ;)

AgMac

Post by AgMac » October 12th, 2021, 1:11 pm

aggies22 wrote:
AgMac wrote:
Money was not an issue? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Sure.

Sorry, my man. I believe 90% of your reporting. But you'll never convince me this is true.

Is it possible that his camp reach out and ask if USU was interested in Aranda, and if so, could USU come up with $2.5M/yr with guaranteed $10M? Maybe. But that's as far as I believe Aranda would have "pursued" the USU job.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » October 12th, 2021, 1:16 pm

AgMac wrote:
October 12th, 2021, 1:11 pm
aggies22 wrote:
AgMac wrote:

Sorry, my man. I believe 90% of your reporting. But you'll never convince me this is true.

Is it possible that his camp reach out and ask if USU was interested in Aranda, and if so, could USU come up with $2.5M/yr with guaranteed $10M? Maybe. But that's as far as I believe Aranda would have "pursued" the USU job.
You should believe me 100% of the time my Aggie brother.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
ratofallaggies

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 12th, 2021, 3:30 pm

aggies22 wrote:
October 12th, 2021, 11:08 am
Floppy Hat wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Regardless of what anyone wants to believe, Gary was fired.
“Fired” is open to interpretation, because it’s not a legal term of art. It's really just semantics.

Alls I am saying is that Hartwell’s mention of “liquidated damages” and USU waiving its rights under that clause suggests a situation in which USU had a claim for damages against Gary. Meaning Gary was somehow in breach of the agreement. Whether that’s Gary quitting or Gary engaging in some other shenanigans, I have no idea.

Sure seems the most likely scenario is that Gary was ready to resign, and USU was more than happy to facilitate that by waiving its liquidated damages rights to allow Gary to leave. Could have been mutual, could have been USU's idea, could have been Gary's idea. But the letter makes clear legally USU treated the situation as a termination by Gary of the contract (i.e., a voluntary resignation), which USU accepted and then elected not to pursue liquidated damages against Gary.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » October 12th, 2021, 3:57 pm

AgMac wrote:
October 12th, 2021, 1:11 pm
aggies22 wrote:
AgMac wrote:

You're more than welcome to scoff at the thought of it, but just know that @aggies22 is spot on.
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post (total 2):
aggies22AggieFBObsession

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » October 12th, 2021, 4:52 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
October 12th, 2021, 1:09 pm
NVAggie wrote:

This type of secrecy?

I have a friend who worked with Alvarez for three years in the Wisconsin athletic department and then followed GA to OSU; his brother was an assistant with GA in OSU and during GA's second stint in Logan, and helped GA find a third party legal firm to negotiate and consult with Hartwell as they hashed out terms and wording for GA's release from his contract.

Can't really say much more though...don't want to let the cat out of the bag. Could get in trouble. ;)
Exactly- all I can do is speculate that he was in Reno for a game on Thursday night and quits or gets fired on Saturday. So what kind of trouble can a person get into in a few days in Reno? Plenty of trouble to be had in Reno.
These users thanked the author CaptainChaos for the post (total 2):
AggieArmyFloridaAggie13

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » October 12th, 2021, 5:19 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
October 12th, 2021, 4:52 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
October 12th, 2021, 1:09 pm
NVAggie wrote:

This type of secrecy?

Exactly- all I can do is speculate that he was in Reno for a game on Thursday night and quits or gets fired on Saturday. So what kind of trouble can a person get into in a few days in Reno? Plenty of trouble to be had in Reno.
It's not about Reno or anything that may have occurred in between the two days that you just spoke of.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » October 12th, 2021, 6:03 pm

If I had thought Aranda was an option I’d have supported that. Instead I stupidly thought GA could repeat his success. But if I knew Aranda wanted the job, I’d have wanted him.

If Hartwell really wanted Aranda I wish that were leaked. I was choosing between GA, Hill, and the former Oregon coach who oversaw Oregon’s decline.

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » October 12th, 2021, 6:09 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
TrueAG wrote:
This is what has surprised me about the situation.

But it's not really a surprise that the herald journal or local news would request information from the university about Gary. I imagine there's got to be some info there if it was requested.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author usufan1 for the post:
3rdGenAggie

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » October 12th, 2021, 6:52 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
October 12th, 2021, 12:19 pm
Exactly. Either provide one piece of confirmable evidence or stop talking about it. I'd be willing to bet that 90% of people that talk about a "cheerleader problem" or a "drinking problem" are now sharing fifth-hand information and likely have never met Gary or have any sort of worthwhile inside information.
People are saying those things because they don't want Utah State thrown under the bus (and they do in fact have real facts that are too personal from the parties involved to be sharing it publicly) because the media in SLC or otherwise victimizes Gary A. The bottom line is that he deserved to be let go and he shouldn't be victimized for it, nor should Utah State be made to look like it was desperate in some way.

Don't try to shoo them away because you don't like that they won't share the insider info. They shouldn't have to and they don't owe anyone anything. And I can fully understand why they are coming to Utah State's defense on these issues.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 12th, 2021, 7:37 pm

https://www.nfoic.org/utah-sample-foia-request/

Anyone who wants to try their hand just use the form above.

Locked Previous topicNext topic