Bonner should be 0-3 as official starting qb

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
2004AG

Re: Bonner should be 0-3 as official starting qb

Post by 2004AG » October 17th, 2021, 11:19 am

Winning Team wrote:It feels like there are people on this board actively hoping that Bonner does bad and we lose games because of him so that Peasley can get his shining moment.

Why can’t we just support our team? A win is a win? No shoulda coulda woulda about it.

Sounding like some major ybu flamers on here…
There isn’t a single person actively hoping Bonner does bad and we lose games so Peasley can get his shining moment. What a dumb thing to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 17th, 2021, 11:29 am

Winning Team wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 10:59 am
It feels like there are people on this board actively hoping that Bonner does bad and we lose games because of him so that Peasley can get his shining moment.

Why can’t we just support our team? A win is a win? No shoulda coulda woulda about it.

Well put, I don't care who the QB is, I want wins. Bonner is helping us get wins. If Peasley helps us get wins, great, but getting down on Bonner when we are 4-2 is just silly and arrogant.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionWinning Team

travelingagg

Post by travelingagg » October 17th, 2021, 11:52 am

He’s better than most MWC QBs. He also has the top receiving yards receiver catching his passes.
These users thanked the author travelingagg for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionstwinward

Jordan Nathan’s #27 Fan

Dwigt
Pick'em Champ - '20,'21 Weekly; '21 WTHCG

Post by Dwigt » October 17th, 2021, 12:08 pm

2004AG wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 11:19 am
Winning Team wrote:It feels like there are people on this board actively hoping that Bonner does bad and we lose games because of him so that Peasley can get his shining moment.

There isn’t a single person actively hoping Bonner does bad and we lose games so Peasley can get his shining moment. What a dumb thing to say.

There is one and he started this thread.
These users thanked the author Dwigt for the post:
Winning Team

Presumptuous and ill-informed.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » October 17th, 2021, 12:22 pm

Dwigt wrote:
2004AG wrote:

There is one and he started this thread.
Criticism is not the same thing as actively hoping Bonner fails. Critiquing Division 1 QB play is fair game.

Bonner is no Jordan Love but he’s pretty good and probably better than Peasley, but I can see why some fans might prefer Peasley over Bonner.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » October 17th, 2021, 12:34 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 10:21 am
tinplater wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 8:47 am
Aggiefan2020 wrote:
October 16th, 2021, 11:32 pm
Thanks BigBlue.... im not saying coaching decisions havent been questionable at best.... its just frustrating
Data from my sources....Bonner 21/32. 298 yards 2 td 1 int. rating 158.2
Friel. 11/21 107 yds 0 TD 1 int

When it came to QB play last night it was no contest. I'd be happy with a 158.2 rating any game this year. And if the D had been able to dominate, Bonner would probably have been totally lights out. And his performance against Washington State was amazing IMO.
The defense was ok. They gave up 24 points and 7 of those were on the super short field. 2nd half they played well. If the offense would have stopped shooting themselves inside the UNLV 30 the Aggies win by 20.
I need to remember this is very much a "bend but don't break" defense. There is a lot less concern for giving up yards as long as they tighten up in the red zone, which they've done an ok job of.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 17th, 2021, 12:43 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 12:34 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 10:21 am
tinplater wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 8:47 am
Aggiefan2020 wrote:
October 16th, 2021, 11:32 pm
Thanks BigBlue.... im not saying coaching decisions havent been questionable at best.... its just frustrating
Data from my sources....Bonner 21/32. 298 yards 2 td 1 int. rating 158.2
Friel. 11/21 107 yds 0 TD 1 int

When it came to QB play last night it was no contest. I'd be happy with a 158.2 rating any game this year. And if the D had been able to dominate, Bonner would probably have been totally lights out. And his performance against Washington State was amazing IMO.
The defense was ok. They gave up 24 points and 7 of those were on the super short field. 2nd half they played well. If the offense would have stopped shooting themselves inside the UNLV 30 the Aggies win by 20.
I need to remember this is very much a "bend but don't break" defense. There is a lot less concern for giving up yards as long as they tighten up in the red zone, which they've done an ok job of.
I just hope the defense can sure up their gap assignments and not give up what seems like at least one 60+ yard running play each game. Those are killers.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
3rdGenAggie

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 17th, 2021, 1:02 pm

2004AG wrote:

Bottom line is the Aggies have an extremely limited QB skill wise. Can't run. Can't throw deep, doesn't do progressions. But he is tough and accurate inside defined certain limits and is a guy who seems to focus late in the game. Its not that anyone wants him to fail, we just know defenses know how to defend him and its going to be tough sledding for the offense when teams are also shutting down the RB.

Peasley has all the physical attributes and athleticism to be the perfect QB for this system but he hasn't gotten it done and seized the job. There is only so far the Aggies can go with Bonner in the status quo so we're hoping someone steps up so the offense can fully utilize its weapons. Bonner can win even against good teams if the O-line gets its act together and the Defense improves and I hope they do.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
Aglicious

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » October 17th, 2021, 1:28 pm

Peasley can't throw. He can throw a deep ball that is all. We have 2 years of evidence. He is fine for a change of pace that is it.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 17th, 2021, 1:59 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 11:29 am
Winning Team wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 10:59 am
It feels like there are people on this board actively hoping that Bonner does bad and we lose games because of him so that Peasley can get his shining moment.

Well put, I don't care who the QB is, I want wins. Bonner is helping us get wins. If Peasley helps us get wins, great, but getting down on Bonner when we are 4-2 is just silly and arrogant.
Ok, but nobody is rooting for Bonner to fail. Because you don't want the current starter doesn't mean you want the current starter to fail. I am fine with Bonner, but somebody wanting Peasley to start is their opinion, not "rooting for Bonner to fail."

Same with coaches. I did not want Gary hired back, but there wasn't a game in 2019-2020 that I cheered for the Aggies to lose because he was the coach. I did not want Tim Duryea to be the coach. I still cheered for the Aggies to win every game all 3 of his years. Supporting the team doesn't mean you agree with everything that is happening and just blindly fall in line with whatever the program is doing.

aggiegrey

Post by aggiegrey » October 17th, 2021, 2:10 pm

2004AG wrote:

I strongly disagree with this! In section 131 row 5 last night 2 guys yelled F*ck You Bonner or F*ck you Coach Anderson put in Peasley more times then I can or want to remember. I would say they were actively rooting against Bonner.
These users thanked the author aggiegrey for the post:
Winning Team

WannabeAgAlum

Post by WannabeAgAlum » October 17th, 2021, 2:25 pm

Loved seeing Anderson give Peasly an emphatic five after late TD last night.

Also liked the huge slot machine on UNLV sideline. Do we have anything like that? Maybe the player that got the big play gets to squeeze a huge bagpipe or something?

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » October 17th, 2021, 2:40 pm

aggiegrey wrote:
2004AG wrote:

I strongly disagree with this! In section 131 row 5 last night 2 guys yelled F*ck You Bonner or F*ck you Coach Anderson put in Peasley more times then I can or want to remember. I would say they were actively rooting against Bonner.
Again, preferring one QB over another is not wishing Bonner to fail.

If those guys in section 131 were pissed when McGriff caught the ball or Noa ran it on for the game winning score, then you would be correct. Did they boo when that happened or did they cheer ?

bull

Post by bull » October 17th, 2021, 3:04 pm

Why “should” Bonner be 0-3 again? He just shredded UNLV secondary for the game winning drive.
Are you suggesting Peasley would have been able get the W against BYU or BSU? I would say no.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 17th, 2021, 4:55 pm

hickaggie wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 1:02 pm
2004AG wrote:

Bottom line is the Aggies have an extremely limited QB skill wise. Can't run. Can't throw deep, doesn't do progressions. But he is tough and accurate inside defined certain limits and is a guy who seems to focus late in the game. Its not that anyone wants him to fail, we just know defenses know how to defend him and its going to be tough sledding for the offense when teams are also shutting down the RB.

Peasley has all the physical attributes and athleticism to be the perfect QB for this system but he hasn't gotten it done and seized the job. There is only so far the Aggies can go with Bonner in the status quo so we're hoping someone steps up so the offense can fully utilize its weapons. Bonner can win even against good teams if the O-line gets its act together and the Defense improves and I hope they do.
Defenses know how to defend him? Aren’t we the top rated offense in the MW?

Bonner kills hurts himself sometimes by making bad throws or dumb throws, but it’s not like we’ve struggled to move the ball against anyone this year.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » October 17th, 2021, 11:40 pm

cdaAg wrote:
October 16th, 2021, 10:37 pm
I wish Peasley could beat out Bonner as the starter. Bonner is generally solid but not spectacular. Peasley hasn't been up to the task despite having had opportunities. Somehow Bonner's been able to make plays in crunch time. I'm overall pleased with his play. Peasley's struggled when he's tried to be a pocket passer, and he can't scramble on each and every play. I hope he grows some more this season.
How do you figure? I watched Peasley shred a really good Air Force team. The fact is Peasly simply hasn't been given the same game-time opportunity Bonner has.

What gets me is coach Anderson has said dozens of times that they would "have specific play packages" for Peasley, yet he hasn't sniffed the field since Bosie. What the hell? He is one of the best athletes on the team, PLAY HIM!!!!

GrandPoubah

Post by GrandPoubah » October 18th, 2021, 6:18 am

Anyone whom has an issue with the way Bonner played should watch just this one drive.

Link below - It is the drive just before half - from 42:20 through essentially the 50 minute mark.

First, why can't we run vs. either a wide 4-2/3-3 (they are basically daring us to run).
Second, even though they are dropping 7 on almost all plays, passes were on point with multiple drops.
Third, check out some of the bad blocks by OL (see play at the 42:42 mark). There are other runs on this same drive....

Sure, one drive does not make a game, but this epitomized our offensive production all day. Now tell me Bonner played "Bad". Laughable.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 18th, 2021, 9:55 am

We don't have the quarterback that we need. That is why this continues to be discussed ad nauseum. Neither Peasley nor Bonner are what we need to run this offense.

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » October 18th, 2021, 10:49 am

I can give you an objective analysis. Please use your open mind here.

#1 look at the w-L column, and tell me what you dont like about how anderson is handling things.

2. Look at last year, and give me an objective take.(i think it was embarrassing what took place last year)

3. I’ve noticed this staff overall catching onto things they’ve missed and making the correct adjustments. It overall seems the defense generally does better in the second half after Rice and co have their assignments figured out

4. Special teams (other than scarver and Nathan) are getting worse. Should the kicker be back 2 more yards from the line of scrimmage to prevent blocked kicks???

5. Bonner vs Peasley, they are both good dudes and we should have 2-3 drives per game with peasley .. i think right after Bonner gets the Team a TD. Maybe even a couple in a row. (This is my personal take)

It looks like to me Peasley had the confident moxy the first 3 games and it showed real well against AFA.

Then he lost it in the early AM game against BSU, and he and Tucker embarrassed their execution and play calling against BYU.

6. I think our biggest weakness is the OLine. They need to be eating 1500 calories of lean protein every day (2500-3000 probably total calories daily) and spending 4 hours lifting weights and practicing blocking better. It seems like our oline has regressed since game 1. They need to be nasty SOB’s and i dont think they’re even close.

7. Very very likely usu would be 0-6 with no Bonner on the team. Just stating an obvious fact.

8. I want Peasly to start executing, and get his moxy back. Only he and the Qb coaches can figure that out.

9. I think Tucker is a good O coordinator, he just hasnt fully figured out how to get the offense to execute better, or he is 1/3 of the time putting the skilled players in bad positions. Hard to say 100%, seems like his x/o’s are very limited by the current personnel. So he should be given a lot more latitude??

10. Remember this is a work in progress, and I am enjoying the ingame adjustments and wins. Go Aggies!!!
These users thanked the author LoveMyAggies for the post (total 3):
Aggie84025cdaAgRoy McAvoy

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 18th, 2021, 11:09 am

There are many that want us to throw away the rest of this year and all of next year because we "don't have the personnel" to make it happen. I guess I just don't fully agree with that way of thinking. We are 4-2. We obviously do something right. I just want to see less of the boneheaded plays. Penalties in the red zone. Bonner throwing INTs when eyeing down one receiver. Poor throws to wide open guys, 60+ yard running TDs. Poor tackling at times. uncreative play calling.

We obviously do have the personnel to win games. I want to see more creativity, better execution, and less stupidity. We are much closer to a competitor than we realize. I think much of this is fixable, but I haven't seen any changes through six games. I'm happy for the wins, but I would like us to be a contender instead of a pretender.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
Aggie84025

SasquatchAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by SasquatchAggie » October 18th, 2021, 11:16 am

Our offense is built around being able to throw the ball. Bonner is not Jordan Love slinging the ball around but he is a much better option than Peasley. Bonner can make his reads and go through his progressions to find open receivers. If Peasleys first option is covered, he tucks it and runs (and most likely fumbles.) I'm honestly still a little baffled that some people think Peasley is a better option than Bonner. With that being said, I do think some designed packages with Peasley at QB can be effective.
These users thanked the author SasquatchAggie for the post:
LoveMyAggies

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 18th, 2021, 11:47 am

SasquatchAggie wrote:
October 18th, 2021, 11:16 am
Our offense is built around being able to throw the ball. Bonner is not Jordan Love slinging the ball around but he is a much better option than Peasley. Bonner can make his reads and go through his progressions to find open receivers. If Peasleys first option is covered, he tucks it and runs (and most likely fumbles.) I'm honestly still a little baffled that some people think Peasley is a better option than Bonner. With that being said, I do think some designed packages with Peasley at QB can be effective.
Well there is the 4 TD to 1 Int ratio and the fact he used the TE in the redzone, and doesn't complete as many picks as he does passes every time he tries to go deep so there is that. His legs are a weapon in any offense but especially the way this offense is supposed to be run. We use a ton of read, and some RPO that is useless with Bonner.

Look I'm not insisting on Peasley at the moment. He obviously has not shown consistency in practice and didn't do much with some pretty difficult spots against BSU and the Zoobs. If he had though or anyone else had shown much Bonner would not be the starter as he is very limited in this offense as a passer and helping the read game and its particulary apparent with the red zone issues.

The number one issue continues to be the O-line though.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » October 18th, 2021, 11:55 am

hickaggie wrote:
October 18th, 2021, 11:47 am
SasquatchAggie wrote:
October 18th, 2021, 11:16 am
Well there is the 4 TD to 1 Int ratio and the fact he used the TE in the redzone, and doesn't complete as many picks as he does passes every time he tries to go deep so there is that. His legs are a weapon in any offense but especially the way this offense is supposed to be run. We use a ton of read, and some RPO that is useless with Bonner.

Look I'm not insisting on Peasley at the moment. He obviously has not shown consistency in practice and didn't do much with some pretty difficult spots against BSU and the Zoobs. If he had though or anyone else had shown much Bonner would not be the starter as he is very limited in this offense as a passer and helping the read game and its particulary apparent with the red zone issues.

The number one issue continues to be the O-line though.
:cheers: Every criticism of Bonner derives from this.

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » October 18th, 2021, 12:58 pm

I am just waiting for someone to blame this whole O-Line/ Bonner thing on Isaac Larsen.

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » October 19th, 2021, 12:36 am

NVAggie wrote:
October 18th, 2021, 11:09 am
There are many that want us to throw away the rest of this year and all of next year because we "don't have the personnel" to make it happen. I guess I just don't fully agree with that way of thinking. We are 4-2. We obviously do something right. I just want to see less of the boneheaded plays. Penalties in the red zone. Bonner throwing INTs when eyeing down one receiver. Poor throws to wide open guys, 60+ yard running TDs. Poor tackling at times. uncreative play calling.

We obviously do have the personnel to win games. I want to see more creativity, better execution, and less stupidity. We are much closer to a competitor than we realize. I think much of this is fixable, but I haven't seen any changes through six games. I'm happy for the wins, but I would like us to be a contender instead of a pretender.
Agreed, I just don't think you are giving enough credit here.

Pause and think for a moment, in the last 3 years the FB team has cycled through many different staffs, and overall schemes and assignments, just go ask Scarver and Bond how different things have been. Additionally, how many NEW recruits and players have been signed since Blake Anderson was brought on board. The trajectory is upward. I see improvement in the first 6 games, I have also seen some players regress.

I would request the team play with more toughness, mentally. Some times there is a string of plays which end up negative, then penalties hit, and again more penalties. This shows based off the record they are physically there, however mentally there is work left to do. (Oline needs to go watch the blind side as a group, and grow up and be Men, if they played with a huge chip on their shoulder, followed by Tyler Jr and Gentry, the running game could produce 200+ yds a game.

Just some thoughts.
These users thanked the author LoveMyAggies for the post:
OKAggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic