Half Way Mark

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie19

Half Way Mark

Post by Aggie19 » October 17th, 2021, 6:40 am

We've made it half way and I think we're all pleasantly surprised, some maybe even over the moon, at a 4-2 record. After our 3-0 start, my hopes were sky high, then bsu and byu happened, but I expected that. With the break, I'd hoped we would have corrected some of our issues and have a strong showing against UNLV, but we are who we are. Even in our early wins we were widely inconsistent. I know the path to the championship is still wide open, but I don't see it happening this year. I see a 3-3 second half, which, I'm OK with. Finishing 7-5 is a solid season and what I hope becomes our base expectation as a fan base. A lot of problems with last night's game and there are holes in this team, but they're fun to watch and play hard and isn't that what is about anyway? Excited for the program.

P.S. Wasn't able to attend in Vegas, but shout out to those who did, we heard you loud and clear all night! Nice work Aggies
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post (total 2):
slcaggPNW_Aggie

Go Aggies!

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Re: Half Way Mark

Post by NVAggie » October 17th, 2021, 8:11 am

This mirrors my thoughts as well. I guess I’m actually more annoyed with this team than excited. They could be so much more, but they can’t get out of their own way.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 17th, 2021, 8:57 am

NVAggie wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 8:11 am
This mirrors my thoughts as well. I guess I’m actually more annoyed with this team than excited. They could be so much more, but they can’t get out of their own way.
Considering we’ve not beaten an FBS opponent by more than 4 points, they also could very easily be a whole lot less than 4-2 and on track for a bowl game. We are 11 points away from being 1-5. We are essentially a UNLV that can close games.

We have significant personnel and depth issues at like 3 position groups — OL, secondary, LBs. The only position groups we have where I think we are average or above average and have a little depth for a MW team are WR, RB, and QB.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
AGinNEIowa

tjensen_25

Post by tjensen_25 » October 17th, 2021, 9:18 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 8:57 am
NVAggie wrote:
Considering we’ve not beaten an FBS opponent by more than 4 points, they also could very easily be a whole lot less than 4-2 and on track for a bowl game. We are 11 points away from being 1-5. We are essentially a UNLV that can close games.

We have significant personnel and depth issues at like 3 position groups — OL, secondary, LBs. The only position groups we have where I think we are average or above average and have a little depth for a MW team are WR, RB, and QB.
Well said, we are a UNLV that can close. We have lots of needs and I would add QB to the list (both are limited); but I love how this team plays hard, doesn't quit, and seem to enjoy playing. I was thinking 4 wins would be about right and we've made it half way through the season. Very pleased

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 17th, 2021, 9:24 am

tjensen_25 wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 9:18 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
NVAggie wrote:

Well said, we are a UNLV that can close. We have lots of needs and I would add QB to the list (both are limited); but I love how this team plays hard, doesn't quit, and seem to enjoy playing. I was thinking 4 wins would be about right and we've made it half way through the season. Very pleased
QB play could be better, but it hasn’t been the reason we’ve lost a game. We’ve also already addressed the QB position in recruiting to the extent we are going to address it. We have dire needs at OL (addressed somewhat, but young dude) in the secondary, and at LB.

It strikes me we need to hit the grad transfer market HARD for secondary and LBs with the remaining scholarships.

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » October 17th, 2021, 9:25 am

This team was a complete train wreck in Dec. We forfeited a game for crying out loud (never thought I'd see that.) We definitely have need for improvement, but we KNEW that was going to be the case going in.

To get this program to where it is in 9 months is nothing short of miraculous. Congrats to Coach A and this team. The fact they're winning ball games the way they are, especially considering where they were 9 months ago, speaks volumes IMO.
These users thanked the author AngusAg for the post (total 5):
Aggie84025NowhereLandAggieAggieFBObsessionvegasaggiekenpo

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » October 17th, 2021, 9:30 am

I think the DL is a significant need. We are very small and hardly ever get any pressure. Not to mention we get manhandled and run all over. Im surprised no one has mentioned this group. It seems like the biggest weakness to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjensen_25

Post by tjensen_25 » October 17th, 2021, 9:37 am

CaptainChaos wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 9:30 am
I think the DL is a significant need. We are very small and hardly ever get any pressure. Not to mention we get manhandled and run all over. Im surprised no one has mentioned this group. It seems like the biggest weakness to me.

Also true. Honestly we are rebuilding or needing to upgrade at just about every position. I've been amazed at our problems just blocking for field goals.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » October 17th, 2021, 9:50 am

AngusAg wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 9:25 am
This team was a complete train wreck in Dec. We forfeited a game for crying out loud (never thought I'd see that.) We definitely have need for improvement, but we KNEW that was going to be the case going in.

To get this program to where it is in 9 months is nothing short of miraculous. Congrats to Coach A and this team. The fact they're winning ball games the way they are, especially considering where they were 9 months ago, speaks volumes IMO.
All of this is true but we’ve seen little to no improvement over the season. This is the part that makes me nervous. Good teams are going to expose us like Boise and YBu. If there was improvements I would be more optimistic. If anything we’ve digressed.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 17th, 2021, 9:54 am

This offense is Deven Thompkins and Brandon Bowling putting this team on their backs.

This defense is Justin Rice trying to be everywhere at once. The defense really fell off a cliff when Dom Tatum went down.

There are a couple of exceptional talents in both units holding this thing together with duct tape. We have nowhere near the across the board talent level to have any business competing for a MW title, IMO.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 17th, 2021, 10:24 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
NVAggie wrote:

The margin for error is small with this team and in college football in general. But they are getting it done when it matters most.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » October 17th, 2021, 12:09 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
NVAggie wrote:

The margin for error is small with this team and in college football in general. But they are getting it done when it matters most.
Yes! I should be more optimistic… it’s undeniable this team is overachieving. With the lack of size and depth especially in the trenches they are “getting it done” as you say.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » October 17th, 2021, 12:17 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 9:30 am

OL and DT. DEs are solid. We've basically got one position on the defense that gives me hope for the defense. DE. That's it.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » October 18th, 2021, 4:37 am

I would be thrilled with going 3-3 in the second half of the season. A 7-5 regular season, and a guaranteed winning season regardless of what happened in a bowl game, would be amazing considering where the program was last December. Clearly there are weaknesses on this team, and I agree that regardless of what the standings tell us right now, I do not believe this team is strong enough to compete for a division title (unless we get really lucky). But I am already thrilled with what this team has done this year.

Locked Previous topicNext topic