Offensive Line

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie84025

Re: Offensive Line

Post by Aggie84025 » October 25th, 2021, 12:43 pm

utahcountyaggie wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 12:22 pm
ViAggie wrote:
October 23rd, 2021, 1:41 pm
Colorado State has one of the best defenses in the MWC
But they didn’t get any sacks against South Dakota State? Is our O line really 8 sacks worse than an FCS school? Or did CSU really get that much better from week 1?
Know clue, but from a sack perspective the CSU game is really the only game where we gave up a huge amount of sacks. I think a lot of it was Bonner being beat up and not super mobile, Bonner locking in on 1 receiver, and the coverage of CSU not allowing guys to get open. It seemed like most of the sacks occurred after 4-5 seconds after the snap. 4-5 seconds should be enough time for a QB to make a decision and get rid of the ball. I would say half of them Bonner should have been able to make a quicker decision to throw to a receiver or throw it out of bounds.

GrandPoubah

Post by GrandPoubah » October 25th, 2021, 11:38 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 12:43 pm
utahcountyaggie wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
But they didn’t get any sacks against South Dakota State? Is our O line really 8 sacks worse than an FCS school? Or did CSU really get that much better from week 1?
Know clue, but from a sack perspective the CSU game is really the only game where we gave up a huge amount of sacks. I think a lot of it was Bonner being beat up and not super mobile, Bonner locking in on 1 receiver, and the coverage of CSU not allowing guys to get open. It seemed like most of the sacks occurred after 4-5 seconds after the snap. 4-5 seconds should be enough time for a QB to make a decision and get rid of the ball. I would say half of them Bonner should have been able to make a quicker decision to throw to a receiver or throw it out of bounds.

That isn't correct. Of the six sacks given up by the Oline, there wasn't a single sack which took greater than three seconds before pressure/sack occurred. The other two sacks were either hot blitzes or RB blocking (admittedly, I didn't keep track of those). Without immediate pressure, we would have scored 10 points in the first Q alone.

JennyWilliamson
Has thanked: 0

Post by JennyWilliamson » November 2nd, 2021, 6:51 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 12:43 pm
utahcountyaggie wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
That's totally wrong
These users thanked the author JennyWilliamson for the post:
Hoot

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » November 5th, 2021, 5:10 pm

Interesting that you can see how fans perspective effects their opinions. Bonner got sacked because he held the ball to long? That would be something an Olineman would argue. As the defender beats the OLman he's thinking Bonner could have just dumped the ball and avoided the sack. But from the QB's perspective, if the defender is on you quickly, you have to protect the ball. Once you bring it out and start the throwing motion that's when the ball can get punched out. So for the QB and the team, a sack is bad but a turnover is worse.

The other consideration for the QB and it's not even accounted for in stats is that he's trying to make a play on 3rd down or in a game ending, game extending drive situation. He's trying to scramble, waiting for a WR to get open, AND it's 3rd or 4th down. Throwing the ball away might not be an option.

We knew when he came in the Bonner wasn't a dynamic game changing player. He's a tough scrappy strong armed passer. He'll stay in the pocket and courageously take hits trying to make plays. I think there are things he could do better, but when you look at this team it's hard for me to be critical of anything he's done.

And you can argue the same for the OLine. We knew coming in that they weren't a dynamic game changing unit. Whatever they are doing? Allowing 8 sacks? As much as they have struggled? They've still been good enough to help us get 6 wins to date.
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post (total 5):
aggies22slcaggcdaAgAggieFBObsessionflying_scotsman2.0

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 5th, 2021, 5:22 pm

El Sapo wrote:
November 5th, 2021, 5:10 pm
Interesting that you can see how fans perspective effects their opinions. Bonner got sacked because he held the ball to long? That would be something an Olineman would argue. As the defender beats the OLman he's thinking Bonner could have just dumped the ball and avoided the sack. But from the QB's perspective, if the defender is on you quickly, you have to protect the ball. Once you bring it out and start the throwing motion that's when the ball can get punched out. So for the QB and the team, a sack is bad but a turnover is worse.

The other consideration for the QB and it's not even accounted for in stats is that he's trying to make a play on 3rd down or in a game ending, game extending drive situation. He's trying to scramble, waiting for a WR to get open, AND it's 3rd or 4th down. Throwing the ball away might not be an option.

We knew when he came in the Bonner wasn't a dynamic game changing player. He's a tough scrappy strong armed passer. He'll stay in the pocket and courageously take hits trying to make plays. I think there are things he could do better, but when you look at this team it's hard for me to be critical of anything he's done.

And you can argue the same for the OLine. We knew coming in that they weren't a dynamic game changing unit. Whatever they are doing? Allowing 8 sacks? As much as they have struggled? They've still been good enough to help us get 6 wins to date.
Solid take my Aggie brother.

Locked Previous topicNext topic