(Updated 11/11) Mountain West Bowl Eligibility

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
travelingagg

Re: Mountain West Bowl Eligibility

Post by travelingagg » October 26th, 2021, 10:44 pm

“ The Mountain West doesn’t have a true pecking order. The bowl matchups are based on best possible games and geography.”

Geography aside, I wonder what variables the selection committee(s) use(s). Is it teams with similar performing offenses? Is it teams whose fans travel best for the bowl game? Is it teams whose games have had the best tv ratings?

Jordan Nathan’s #27 Fan

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » October 26th, 2021, 11:02 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 2:26 pm
I think we typically fly commercial to Hawaii and ship the gear. That said, according to Google it costs around $20,000 an hour to charter a 737. If the team chartered a 737 to Hawaii (not sure if that even makes sense, we'd have to ask an aviation person) it would cost close to $250,000 just for the fly time to get the team and staff out there and back.
From a technical standpoint, 737s are regularly used between the west coast and Hawaii, so no issues in that regard. Can’t speak to the cost/benefit issue though. Also, USU has been using Allegiant for the charters, so my guess is they get a slightly better rate for a season long contract versus negotiating six individual charters. I do not believe that Allegiant does Hawaii operations since they retired their 757s several years ago. Hawaii requires some special certifications for a twin engine aircraft (ETOPS). So a Hawaii charter would likely require a one off charter contract with a separate airline, which will obviously affect the costs.
These users thanked the author swordsman1989 for the post:
3rdGenAggie

PIGSKINAGGIE

Post by PIGSKINAGGIE » October 27th, 2021, 1:53 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 10:58 am
ESPN's Kyle Bonagura has USU sitting at home this post season, while Boise, Air Force, and Wyoming all go to bowl games.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/i ... oma-scares
He sounds like a dumb a$$.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 27th, 2021, 9:06 am

LKGates wrote:
October 24th, 2021, 1:56 pm
usubobcat wrote:
October 24th, 2021, 9:57 am
Thoughts:
There seems to be a lot of parity in the conference this year. We know there are 3 teams already eligible and 2 more likely to become eligible very soon. Beyond that, it's difficult to tell which teams will be eligible and which won't by the end of the season. I will update this post soon with information showing the conference's bowl tie-ins this year, unless somebody beats me to it in a reply.
Guaranteed MWC Bowls:
Famous Idaho Potato Bowl (vs MAC)
Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl (vs PAC-12)
New Mexico Bowl (vs CUSA)
Offerpad Arizona Bowl (vs MAC)
SoFi Hawai'i Bowl (vs AAC)

Secondary Bowls (Contract to fill in if the primary conference doesn't have enough bowl eligible teams):
Guaranteed Rate Fiesta Bowl (vs Big-10 or Big-12)

Bowls open to G5 in general, to be distributed as needed:
Cure Bowl (vs G5 or Army)
RoofClaim.com Boca Raton Bowl (vs G5 or Army)
SERVPRO First Responder Bowl (vs G5 or Army)
Tropical Smoothie Cafe Frisco Bowl (vs G5 or Army)
Man, we need some better bowl tie-ins. Hopefully we can scoop some better ones after the AAC's demise. We shouldn't be playing mostly MAC and C-USA teams.

Hoot

Post by Hoot » October 27th, 2021, 9:41 am

PIGSKINAGGIE wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 1:53 am
swordsman1989 wrote:
ESPN's Kyle Bonagura has USU sitting at home this post season, while Boise, Air Force, and Wyoming all go to bowl games.

He’s at ESPN what do you expect?
These users thanked the author Hoot for the post:
AggieFBObsession

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » October 27th, 2021, 12:10 pm

Hoot wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 9:41 am
PIGSKINAGGIE wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 1:53 am
swordsman1989 wrote:

He’s at ESPN what do you expect?
Ha ha! Exactly. I’m pretty sure most of them were saying YBU would be a playoff contender this season a couple of weeks ago.

If you don’t have USU to a bowl game this year, you haven’t been paying attention.

Forrest Dupre
Has thanked: 0

Post by Forrest Dupre » October 27th, 2021, 9:04 pm

[

I know the Arizona bowl has a low payout, but the location and weather are great. Would love to see the Aggies go back there.
[/quote]

From a fan standpoint, I love the AZ bowl. Would love to go back. I want the LA bowl most and it isn't even close because of what that would mean...
[/quote]

I'm with you guys. Would love the AZ Bowl. Tucson will have weather in the 70s, great Mexican food and there's always fun in a college town. Plus I have a daughter and her family that live there. By the way, Jerry Palm of CBS Sportline currently projects us to go to that bowl game.

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » October 27th, 2021, 9:17 pm

Arizona bowl is fun location, really enjoyed Tuscon

Not sent from Tapatalk

Turtle

Post by Turtle » October 28th, 2021, 8:44 am

AGinNEIowa wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 6:51 pm
BigBlueDart wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 3:35 pm
SLB wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 3:31 pm
What about that Cheez-it bowl?
Meh. I've already got one at home.
I told them we've already got one
I'm FRENCH. Can't you tell by my RIDICULOUS accent-tuh!
These users thanked the author Turtle for the post:
AGinNEIowa

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » October 28th, 2021, 12:10 pm

Turtle wrote:
October 28th, 2021, 8:44 am
AGinNEIowa wrote:
BigBlueDart wrote:
SLB wrote:
what a strange person
These users thanked the author AGinNEIowa for the post:
Turtle

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » October 28th, 2021, 1:36 pm

AGinNEIowa wrote:
October 28th, 2021, 12:10 pm
Turtle wrote:
October 28th, 2021, 8:44 am
AGinNEIowa wrote:
BigBlueDart wrote:
SLB wrote:
what a strange person
Your mother is a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

usubobcat

Post by usubobcat » November 11th, 2021, 1:46 pm

Here is how everything stands at the moment:

Mountain Division

Already Eligible: Utah State (7-2), Air Force (6-3)

Work Left To Do:

Boise State (5-4)
Remaining schedule: vs Wyoming, vs New Mexico, @ San Diego State
Outlook: Although I enjoy not having them in the "Already Eligible" section, Boise State has been getting some better results lately including an impressive victory against Fresno State. With Wyoming and New Mexico coming up, bowl eligibility is a virtual lock. The Broncos will be hoping Utah State loses again.

Colorado State (3-6)
Remaining schedule: vs Air Force, @ Hawaii, vs Nevada
Outlook: Having lost their last 3 games (including against Wyoming in their most recent game!), the Rams find themselves needing to win out just to get to bowl eligibility. All 3 games will be difficult. I don't see it happening.

New Mexico (3-6)
Remaining schedule: @ Fresno State, @ Boise State, vs Utah State
Outlook: The Lobos aren't in last place in the division! Thanks to their victory over Wyoming, New Mexico is ahead of the Cowboys with the tie-breaker. They are still (technically) in pursuit of bowl eligibility as well. Unfortunately for them, they lost to previously winless UNLV in their most recent game, and now have to close their season with a gauntlet. I'm expecting New Mexico to be in the "Ineligible" section next time I update this post.

Wyoming (5-4)
Remaining schedule: @ Boise State, @ Utah State, vs Hawaii
Outlook: Despite being in last place in the division, Wyoming has a bit more room for error in the pursuit of eligibility than the two teams immediately ahead of them in the standings do. They need only 1 more win to do it. Like New Mexico, the Cowboys have the opportunity to mess with the division leaders as they still have Boise State and Utah State on the schedule.

Ineligible: None

West Division

Already Eligible: San Diego State (8-1), Nevada (7-2), Fresno State (7-3)

Work Left To Do:

San Jose State (5-5)
Remaining schedule: vs Utah State, vs Fresno State
Outlook: One more win? Difficult, but not impossible. The Spartans would obviously prefer to beat the Aggies and head into their very late bye week with eligibility wrapped up. If, however, they lose to the Aggies, they will have two weeks to prepare for a make-or-break game against Fresno State to finish the season.

Hawaii (4-6)
Remaining schedule: @ UNLV, vs Colorado State, @ Wyoming
Outlook: It's do-or-die mode for the Warriors. They need victories in all 3 of their remaining games to become bowl eligible. If both they and the Rams win this week, their game next week will turn into a bowl eligibility elimination game with the winner still needing one more win and the loser officially becoming ineligible. They'll both have to take care of business this week, though!

Ineligible: UNLV (1-8) [Hey, look at that! They won a game!]

Thoughts:
With the season, bowl eligibility, and the conference race all coming down to the wire, we are going to be getting a lot more clarity very soon. There are 5 guaranteed bowl tie-ins for the Mountain West this year (thank you LKGates), and already 5 eligible teams. There will be at least one more because Boise and Wyoming play each other. The loser of that game still has a decent chance of being eligible, especially if it's Boise. Then there's San Jose that only needs 1 more win too, and a few more that are still fighting for a chance. We're starting to get more eligible teams than we have tie-ins for. I suspect the Mountain West will send a representative to at least one of the "any G5 team" bowls, and could see the Aggies ending up being "rewarded" with one of those if we make the championship game and lose. It wouldn't be the LA Bowl, but it also wouldn't be one of the usual bowls that it seems we've been to a lot. While I would prefer the LA Bowl for obvious reasons and the Potato and Arizona Bowls because I could possibly go to them, I think my official prediction for the Aggies is the Tropical Smoothie Cafe Frisco Bowl. Any thoughts?
These users thanked the author usubobcat for the post (total 2):
aggies22LKGates

Classic Blunders:
1) Getting involved in a land war in Asia
2) Going in against a Sicilian when death is on the line

Locked Previous topicNext topic