Wells Fired at TT

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
swordsman1989
Posts: 1351
Joined: December 26th, 2010, 8:43 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 307 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by swordsman1989 » October 25th, 2021, 11:03 pm

Guys, I have the investment opportunity of a lifetime. It is a little company specializing in latex, called Vandelay Industries.
These users thanked the author swordsman1989 for the post (total 5):
ViAggieFloridaAggie13AGinNEIowaBlue Sageaggies22



swordsman1989
Posts: 1351
Joined: December 26th, 2010, 8:43 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 307 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by swordsman1989 » October 25th, 2021, 11:08 pm

BobWilson wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 1:35 pm
I can't criticize a successful MWC coach from wanting to succeed at a higher level, but how many have done so? One as I recall - Peterson from BSU to UW. I'm probably missing someone, but there were about 3 successful BSU coaches who lasted but a short time at the next level. Harsin (sp?) is still under the microscope.. i would hope that Blake understands this fact of life. Where oh where is Dick Romney?
Jim McElwain went from Colorado State to Florida, and even though he got fired, he had a 22-12 record in Gainesville (better winning % than the 22-15 record he had at CSU), and won the SEC east in both of his two full seasons.



Aggiefan160
Posts: 570
Joined: December 12th, 2011, 10:12 pm
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by Aggiefan160 » October 26th, 2021, 7:28 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 11:03 pm
Guys, I have the investment opportunity of a lifetime. It is a little company specializing in latex, called Vandelay Industries.
And you want to be my latex salesman.
These users thanked the author Aggiefan160 for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13Blue Sage



MWCFAN12
Posts: 1132
Joined: January 1st, 2011, 2:10 am
Has thanked: 114 times
Been thanked: 366 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by MWCFAN12 » October 26th, 2021, 9:46 am

Matt is a good dude. He was a bit in over his head when he got the USU job and was trying to learn how to swim on the job. He would be the 1st to tell you he was "fake it till you make it" his 1st few years. He got better. He also had his short comings as do all people and coaches. Matt when you were 1 v 1 or in a small group he is a great guy. I think he was a bit spectical and guarded with people he didn't know or trust. esp media. But all and all he did great things here (3-3 vs BYU) . Once an Aggie always an Aggie. Either it is true or it isn't. He has never spoke ill of USU. Matt should always be welcome back in Logan. I not saying he should have a job here if he wants, that is up to Blake and Jon. But he should always be welcome on campus and around the program. He is an Aggie.
Last edited by MWCFAN12 on October 26th, 2021, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author MWCFAN12 for the post (total 13):
3rdGenAggieAngusAgFloridaAggie13NowhereLandAggieAggieFBObsessionaggieguy13crazywookieNavyBlueaggies22cdaAg and 3 more users



tinplater
Posts: 689
Joined: September 1st, 2013, 8:07 am
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 99 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by tinplater » October 26th, 2021, 9:49 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 11:03 pm
Guys, I have the investment opportunity of a lifetime. It is a little company specializing in latex, called Vandelay Industries.
Or perhaps, as a marine biologist you would prefer to be an architect? Or a banker?
These users thanked the author tinplater for the post:
FloridaAggie13



FloridaAggie13
Posts: 13187
Joined: August 22nd, 2011, 2:18 pm
Has thanked: 1095 times
Been thanked: 409 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 26th, 2021, 10:06 am

USU78 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 2:47 pm
I'm aware of an investment vehicle that pays a pretty safe 8.88%. If he could put $6M of that $7.1M in, he'd get over $500K a year interest only, and that's over $44K a month.

I could cut some corners. Eat catfood. Get by on that. Couldn't you?
He sat behind me in an accounting class in the summer of '94 when I went back for a minor. Hopefully, he learned something about the necessity of credits totaling more than the debits at the end of the day.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
USU78



FloridaAggie13
Posts: 13187
Joined: August 22nd, 2011, 2:18 pm
Has thanked: 1095 times
Been thanked: 409 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 26th, 2021, 10:10 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 11:08 pm
BobWilson wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 1:35 pm
I can't criticize a successful MWC coach from wanting to succeed at a higher level, but how many have done so? One as I recall - Peterson from BSU to UW. I'm probably missing someone, but there were about 3 successful BSU coaches who lasted but a short time at the next level. Harsin (sp?) is still under the microscope.. i would hope that Blake understands this fact of life. Where oh where is Dick Romney?
Jim McElwain went from Colorado State to Florida, and even though he got fired, he had a 22-12 record in Gainesville (better winning % than the 22-15 record he had at CSU), and won the SEC east in both of his two full seasons.
UF has no problem getting recruits; as long as the HC isn't a di**, they will have a full roster of 4 and 5 star players. TT, no so much. Plus, a 22-12 record over three seasons just doesn't cut it in Gainesville. Losing three games in a year is basically a tragedy.

In short, they both were put in a position where it is almost impossible to succeed, just different paradigms.



FloridaAggie13
Posts: 13187
Joined: August 22nd, 2011, 2:18 pm
Has thanked: 1095 times
Been thanked: 409 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 26th, 2021, 10:12 am

stwinward wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 3:28 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 2:59 pm
USU78 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 2:47 pm
I'm aware of an investment vehicle that pays a pretty safe 8.88%. If he could put $6M of that $7.1M in, he'd get over $500K a year interest only, and that's over $44K a month.

I could cut some corners. Eat catfood. Get by on that. Couldn't you?
Please enlighten the rest of us on this investment vehicle paying a pretty safe 8.88%??
I love you guys, but save the investment advice for the professionals. :cheers:
I'm not paying someone to do something I can do better. :cheers:
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 3):
USU78USUaggie3rdGenAggie



FloridaAggie13
Posts: 13187
Joined: August 22nd, 2011, 2:18 pm
Has thanked: 1095 times
Been thanked: 409 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 26th, 2021, 10:15 am

utaggies wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 4:58 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 2:59 pm
USU78 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 2:47 pm
I'm aware of an investment vehicle that pays a pretty safe 8.88%. If he could put $6M of that $7.1M in, he'd get over $500K a year interest only, and that's over $44K a month.

I could cut some corners. Eat catfood. Get by on that. Couldn't you?
Please enlighten the rest of us on this investment vehicle paying a pretty safe 8.88%??
Plastics
It's an opportunity of a lifetime George Bailey.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 2):
USU78USUaggie



AGGIEFIGHT
Posts: 643
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:46 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 99 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by AGGIEFIGHT » October 26th, 2021, 11:23 am

When Matt went to Lubbock he was given expectations that he was to meet.
Year 1- improvement in the program
Year 2- winning record and make it to a bowl game.
Year 3- Compete for a league title
Matt had to have known this was coming .
These users thanked the author AGGIEFIGHT for the post:
AggieFBObsession



User avatar
superheroboy
Posts: 146
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 2:16 pm
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 31 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by superheroboy » October 26th, 2021, 2:08 pm

Life only gets better after leaving Lubbock: https://defector.com/life-only-gets-bet ... g-lubbock/
These users thanked the author superheroboy for the post (total 2):
USU78flying_scotsman2.0



swordsman1989
Posts: 1351
Joined: December 26th, 2010, 8:43 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 307 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by swordsman1989 » October 26th, 2021, 2:36 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 10:10 am
swordsman1989 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 11:08 pm
BobWilson wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 1:35 pm
I can't criticize a successful MWC coach from wanting to succeed at a higher level, but how many have done so? One as I recall - Peterson from BSU to UW. I'm probably missing someone, but there were about 3 successful BSU coaches who lasted but a short time at the next level. Harsin (sp?) is still under the microscope.. i would hope that Blake understands this fact of life. Where oh where is Dick Romney?
Jim McElwain went from Colorado State to Florida, and even though he got fired, he had a 22-12 record in Gainesville (better winning % than the 22-15 record he had at CSU), and won the SEC east in both of his two full seasons.
UF has no problem getting recruits; as long as the HC isn't a di**, they will have a full roster of 4 and 5 star players. TT, no so much. Plus, a 22-12 record over three seasons just doesn't cut it in Gainesville. Losing three games in a year is basically a tragedy.

In short, they both were put in a position where it is almost impossible to succeed, just different paradigms.
I definitely understand about the UF atmosphere. I lived in Gator country for several years during the Spurrier and Zook eras. Yes, clearly McElwain did not live up to the normally high standards of Gators fans. But with back to back SEC East titles during his only two full seasons there, it is also not fair to call him a failure either, especially since his two trips to the SEC championship game in '15 and '16 represent 66% of UF appearances in the last 11 seasons.
These users thanked the author swordsman1989 for the post:
FloridaAggie13



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface
Posts: 16561
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has thanked: 1109 times
Been thanked: 1624 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » October 26th, 2021, 2:46 pm

bigblue32 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 12:49 pm
aggieguy13 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 12:43 pm
They could barely finish above .500 when they had an NFL coach and Patrick Mahomes running the show, but yeah, I'm sure the next coach will be the one to take them to the promised land. Lol.
EXACTLY. I realize Wells has his flaws but my goodness. What does TT think they’re supposed to be as a program?

Good luck tech lol
Well the Big 12 is being downgraded significantly so maybe now they’ll be able to compete.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
USU78



bull
Posts: 140
Joined: September 16th, 2016, 4:10 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 38 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by bull » October 26th, 2021, 4:13 pm

I’m a Matt Wells fan and think he should always be welcome in Logan. However it’s never as easy as it sounds. Even if he is close with BA it could easily become awkward to even contentious. I’m not a fan of having him on the coaching staff, maybe an analyst, or even an assistant to the AD or something. I would certainly love to have him and Luke recruiting QBs again.



coolag
Posts: 1642
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 10:10 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 233 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by coolag » October 26th, 2021, 6:24 pm

I can't believe we are even talking about Matt Wells in Logan......oh wait yes I can. USU "wish I knew how you to quit you" Aggies.
Image



LoveMyAggies
Posts: 503
Joined: December 7th, 2013, 11:49 pm
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 92 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by LoveMyAggies » October 26th, 2021, 6:48 pm

swordsman1989 wrote:I wonder if he regrets leaving USU. He got a nice paycheck at Texas Tech. But he probably could have stayed at USU for the long haul as long as he steadily won 6 to 8 games per season, with the occasional double digit win season, and occasional wins over BYU.

From a financial perspective

He’ll have to pay federal taxes on ~$16,000,000.00

(Ballparkish 5.1M to fed) leaves him with $10,900,000.00 net (I’ll wager no one turns that down for their family to move from Logan to Lubbock for 3 years)

And he DID NOT have to pay an additional $750,000.00 in taxes to the State of Utah or the State of Texas.

I think for Matt and his Family, there will be no regrets leaving for Lubbock. If he loves Logan, he can now return. Wouldnt surprise me if he went assistant in the nfl and start working his way up there.

I know a person unnamed, who went from Cache Valley to rexburg to Lubbock, and stayed there and is staying there indefinitely. And good for them who won at life in Lubbock, lol.

My bottom line assessment is Utah State needs to hire 2 people to help Hartwell do 2 things improve media and local perception, our program needs to look like a U of U or BSU or Nevada or SDSU to other programs and conferences.

Secondly there needs to be someone raising $$ for the AD and their coaches. Cache Valley Electric has helped a ton, we need more reach-out to our alumni as a whole. Use those opportunities to raise $$. Our budget should be bigger than BSU, imho.
These users thanked the author LoveMyAggies for the post:
3rdGenAggie



bwcrc
Posts: 252
Joined: November 7th, 2013, 12:24 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 93 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by bwcrc » October 26th, 2021, 7:33 pm

Agreed that we should have a bigger budget than BSU as well as most other schools in our conference. But it is not surprising that we don't given our football history. It is really only within the last decade that football has done anything to rally around. While the basketball team has generally been above average for a couple of decades now, except for a few schools around the country (e.g. Kansas), basketball doesn't generate enough excitement to fundraise for the entire athletic department.

Students within the last decade should be heavily targeted for out-reach efforts by the AD. Even though they probably can't really contribute much in the way of money yet, keeping that connection with them will be huge in a couple more years provided there is a sustained level of winning. A better relationship with area businesses would also help the AD as a whole. But if I knew how to actually accomplish either of those, I would probably be employed by the AD right now and working at making both a reality.
These users thanked the author bwcrc for the post:
3rdGenAggie



FloridaAggie13
Posts: 13187
Joined: August 22nd, 2011, 2:18 pm
Has thanked: 1095 times
Been thanked: 409 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 26th, 2021, 7:39 pm

swordsman1989 wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 2:36 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 10:10 am
swordsman1989 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 11:08 pm
BobWilson wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 1:35 pm
I can't criticize a successful MWC coach from wanting to succeed at a higher level, but how many have done so? One as I recall - Peterson from BSU to UW. I'm probably missing someone, but there were about 3 successful BSU coaches who lasted but a short time at the next level. Harsin (sp?) is still under the microscope.. i would hope that Blake understands this fact of life. Where oh where is Dick Romney?
Jim McElwain went from Colorado State to Florida, and even though he got fired, he had a 22-12 record in Gainesville (better winning % than the 22-15 record he had at CSU), and won the SEC east in both of his two full seasons.
UF has no problem getting recruits; as long as the HC isn't a di**, they will have a full roster of 4 and 5 star players. TT, no so much. Plus, a 22-12 record over three seasons just doesn't cut it in Gainesville. Losing three games in a year is basically a tragedy.

In short, they both were put in a position where it is almost impossible to succeed, just different paradigms.
I definitely understand about the UF atmosphere. I lived in Gator country for several years during the Spurrier and Zook eras. Yes, clearly McElwain did not live up to the normally high standards of Gators fans. But with back to back SEC East titles during his only two full seasons there, it is also not fair to call him a failure either, especially since his two trips to the SEC championship game in '15 and '16 represent 66% of UF appearances in the last 11 seasons.
I think UF fans expect a coach with an air of swagger such as Spurrier or Urban Myer. Ron Zook was successful, as was McElwain, but they didn't have the aura of the former two coaches.



LoveMyAggies
Posts: 503
Joined: December 7th, 2013, 11:49 pm
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 92 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by LoveMyAggies » October 27th, 2021, 4:54 am

bwcrc wrote:Agreed that we should have a bigger budget than BSU as well as most other schools in our conference. But it is not surprising that we don't given our football history. It is really only within the last decade that football has done anything to rally around. While the basketball team has generally been above average for a couple of decades now, except for a few schools around the country (e.g. Kansas), basketball doesn't generate enough excitement to fundraise for the entire athletic department.

Students within the last decade should be heavily targeted for out-reach efforts by the AD. Even though they probably can't really contribute much in the way of money yet, keeping that connection with them will be huge in a couple more years provided there is a sustained level of winning. A better relationship with area businesses would also help the AD as a whole. But if I knew how to actually accomplish either of those, I would probably be employed by the AD right now and working at making both a reality.
I am by no means an expert here, but i’ll use texas a&m as an example (you could use an iowa or a few dozen other p5 schools) who have done excellent image and branding so that fund raising happens naturally and organically in a comparable small market. Tamu is one of the smallest P5 tv markets in texas, middle of nowhere texas, not houston, DFW or San Antonio or Austin, yet they have the top fb program that went to the SEC. their AD and Donors made that happen.

We are not on the level of Ohio State of course, they have single donors who donate to their cancer research fund which exceeds the entire mw conf team budget combined, Ryan Smith types, they do this because if they didnt their $$ would go to the federal govt.

How many Utah State alumni out there who are mega millionaires or billionaires, who could donate 1/2 of their taxes owed via charitable contribution via the merlin olsen fund, im sure their CPA can figure it out.



LoveMyAggies
Posts: 503
Joined: December 7th, 2013, 11:49 pm
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 92 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by LoveMyAggies » October 27th, 2021, 5:29 am

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.c ... iccom.html

At some point it would not surprise me if Bwags had an ownership stake, if not majority, in a major sports franchise. Give him 2-5 years he’ll get HOF status earned, and will be out there raising $$ with his investing platform to the tune of Billions. Real estate? crypto? Who knows ??



YoungBloodAggie
Posts: 2981
Joined: October 1st, 2013, 9:11 am
Has thanked: 127 times
Been thanked: 776 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by YoungBloodAggie » October 27th, 2021, 6:05 am

LoveMyAggies wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 4:54 am
bwcrc wrote:Agreed that we should have a bigger budget than BSU as well as most other schools in our conference. But it is not surprising that we don't given our football history. It is really only within the last decade that football has done anything to rally around. While the basketball team has generally been above average for a couple of decades now, except for a few schools around the country (e.g. Kansas), basketball doesn't generate enough excitement to fundraise for the entire athletic department.

Students within the last decade should be heavily targeted for out-reach efforts by the AD. Even though they probably can't really contribute much in the way of money yet, keeping that connection with them will be huge in a couple more years provided there is a sustained level of winning. A better relationship with area businesses would also help the AD as a whole. But if I knew how to actually accomplish either of those, I would probably be employed by the AD right now and working at making both a reality.
I am by no means an expert here, but i’ll use texas a&m as an example (you could use an iowa or a few dozen other p5 schools) who have done excellent image and branding so that fund raising happens naturally and organically in a comparable small market. Tamu is one of the smallest P5 tv markets in texas, middle of nowhere texas, not houston, DFW or San Antonio or Austin, yet they have the top fb program that went to the SEC. their AD and Donors made that happen.

We are not on the level of Ohio State of course, they have single donors who donate to their cancer research fund which exceeds the entire mw conf team budget combined, Ryan Smith types, they do this because if they didnt their $$ would go to the federal govt.

How many Utah State alumni out there who are mega millionaires or billionaires, who could donate 1/2 of their taxes owed via charitable contribution via the merlin olsen fund, im sure their CPA can figure it out.
Texas A&M is definitely not an example of a small college football market.


Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

LoveMyAggies
Posts: 503
Joined: December 7th, 2013, 11:49 pm
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 92 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by LoveMyAggies » October 27th, 2021, 10:25 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 6:05 am
LoveMyAggies wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 4:54 am
bwcrc wrote:Agreed that we should have a bigger budget than BSU as well as most other schools in our conference. But it is not surprising that we don't given our football history. It is really only within the last decade that football has done anything to rally around. While the basketball team has generally been above average for a couple of decades now, except for a few schools around the country (e.g. Kansas), basketball doesn't generate enough excitement to fundraise for the entire athletic department.

Students within the last decade should be heavily targeted for out-reach efforts by the AD. Even though they probably can't really contribute much in the way of money yet, keeping that connection with them will be huge in a couple more years provided there is a sustained level of winning. A better relationship with area businesses would also help the AD as a whole. But if I knew how to actually accomplish either of those, I would probably be employed by the AD right now and working at making both a reality.
I am by no means an expert here, but i’ll use texas a&m as an example (you could use an iowa or a few dozen other p5 schools) who have done excellent image and branding so that fund raising happens naturally and organically in a comparable small market. Tamu is one of the smallest P5 tv markets in texas, middle of nowhere texas, not houston, DFW or San Antonio or Austin, yet they have the top fb program that went to the SEC. their AD and Donors made that happen.

We are not on the level of Ohio State of course, they have single donors who donate to their cancer research fund which exceeds the entire mw conf team budget combined, Ryan Smith types, they do this because if they didnt their $$ would go to the federal govt.

How many Utah State alumni out there who are mega millionaires or billionaires, who could donate 1/2 of their taxes owed via charitable contribution via the merlin olsen fund, im sure their CPA can figure it out.
Texas A&M is definitely not an example of a small college football market.
https://worldpopulationreview.com/us-ci ... population ... 121k people ,,,, the other point I am trying to make about them being in a small market, they don't even have an international airport in College Station. You have to bus into from other airports.



Am I missing something here population wise?? not trying to be an ahole ... I'm not seeing what you are

ie large tv Markets - in random orders .. All of which have international airports to fly in and out of

Miami
Houston
DFW
LA
New York
Atlanta
Chicago
San Francisco
San Diego
Las Vegas
Salt Lake
Seattle
Denver
Baltimore
Washington DC



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 12520
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 8899 times
Been thanked: 6133 times
Contact:

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by aggies22 » October 27th, 2021, 11:26 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 11:03 pm
Guys, I have the investment opportunity of a lifetime. It is a little company specializing in latex, called Vandelay Industries.
Do you specialize in importing and exporting?
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13flying_scotsman2.0



User avatar
Sl7vk
Posts: 1777
Joined: November 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Location: Holladay Utah
Has thanked: 625 times
Been thanked: 950 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by Sl7vk » October 27th, 2021, 11:30 am

LoveMyAggies wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 10:25 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 6:05 am
LoveMyAggies wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 4:54 am
bwcrc wrote:Agreed that we should have a bigger budget than BSU as well as most other schools in our conference. But it is not surprising that we don't given our football history. It is really only within the last decade that football has done anything to rally around. While the basketball team has generally been above average for a couple of decades now, except for a few schools around the country (e.g. Kansas), basketball doesn't generate enough excitement to fundraise for the entire athletic department.

Students within the last decade should be heavily targeted for out-reach efforts by the AD. Even though they probably can't really contribute much in the way of money yet, keeping that connection with them will be huge in a couple more years provided there is a sustained level of winning. A better relationship with area businesses would also help the AD as a whole. But if I knew how to actually accomplish either of those, I would probably be employed by the AD right now and working at making both a reality.
I am by no means an expert here, but i’ll use texas a&m as an example (you could use an iowa or a few dozen other p5 schools) who have done excellent image and branding so that fund raising happens naturally and organically in a comparable small market. Tamu is one of the smallest P5 tv markets in texas, middle of nowhere texas, not houston, DFW or San Antonio or Austin, yet they have the top fb program that went to the SEC. their AD and Donors made that happen.

We are not on the level of Ohio State of course, they have single donors who donate to their cancer research fund which exceeds the entire mw conf team budget combined, Ryan Smith types, they do this because if they didnt their $$ would go to the federal govt.

How many Utah State alumni out there who are mega millionaires or billionaires, who could donate 1/2 of their taxes owed via charitable contribution via the merlin olsen fund, im sure their CPA can figure it out.
Texas A&M is definitely not an example of a small college football market.
https://worldpopulationreview.com/us-ci ... population ... 121k people ,,,, the other point I am trying to make about them being in a small market, they don't even have an international airport in College Station. You have to bus into from other airports.



Am I missing something here population wise?? not trying to be an ahole ... I'm not seeing what you are

ie large tv Markets - in random orders .. All of which have international airports to fly in and out of

Miami
Houston
DFW
LA
New York
Atlanta
Chicago
San Francisco
San Diego
Las Vegas
Salt Lake
Seattle
Denver
Baltimore
Washington DC
College Station/Bryan metro has 250k or so people. It's also 90 minutes from Houston, 2 hours from Austin and 2.5 hours to Dallas.

Logan looks a lot more like Pullman than it does College Station.



User avatar
Sl7vk
Posts: 1777
Joined: November 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Location: Holladay Utah
Has thanked: 625 times
Been thanked: 950 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by Sl7vk » October 27th, 2021, 11:40 am

I do think that donor increase is the solution. I think the AD is doing a very good job with the Blue A society and that would represent a great method of creating ongoing endowments for the AD on a micro-level.



User avatar
OKAggie
Posts: 2641
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:32 am
Location: Tulsa, OK
Has thanked: 140 times
Been thanked: 427 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by OKAggie » October 27th, 2021, 3:33 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 11:30 am
LoveMyAggies wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 10:25 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 6:05 am
LoveMyAggies wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 4:54 am
bwcrc wrote:Agreed that we should have a bigger budget than BSU as well as most other schools in our conference. But it is not surprising that we don't given our football history. It is really only within the last decade that football has done anything to rally around. While the basketball team has generally been above average for a couple of decades now, except for a few schools around the country (e.g. Kansas), basketball doesn't generate enough excitement to fundraise for the entire athletic department.

Students within the last decade should be heavily targeted for out-reach efforts by the AD. Even though they probably can't really contribute much in the way of money yet, keeping that connection with them will be huge in a couple more years provided there is a sustained level of winning. A better relationship with area businesses would also help the AD as a whole. But if I knew how to actually accomplish either of those, I would probably be employed by the AD right now and working at making both a reality.
I am by no means an expert here, but i’ll use texas a&m as an example (you could use an iowa or a few dozen other p5 schools) who have done excellent image and branding so that fund raising happens naturally and organically in a comparable small market. Tamu is one of the smallest P5 tv markets in texas, middle of nowhere texas, not houston, DFW or San Antonio or Austin, yet they have the top fb program that went to the SEC. their AD and Donors made that happen.

We are not on the level of Ohio State of course, they have single donors who donate to their cancer research fund which exceeds the entire mw conf team budget combined, Ryan Smith types, they do this because if they didnt their $$ would go to the federal govt.

How many Utah State alumni out there who are mega millionaires or billionaires, who could donate 1/2 of their taxes owed via charitable contribution via the merlin olsen fund, im sure their CPA can figure it out.
Texas A&M is definitely not an example of a small college football market.
https://worldpopulationreview.com/us-ci ... population ... 121k people ,,,, the other point I am trying to make about them being in a small market, they don't even have an international airport in College Station. You have to bus into from other airports.



Am I missing something here population wise?? not trying to be an ahole ... I'm not seeing what you are

ie large tv Markets - in random orders .. All of which have international airports to fly in and out of

Miami
Houston
DFW
LA
New York
Atlanta
Chicago
San Francisco
San Diego
Las Vegas
Salt Lake
Seattle
Denver
Baltimore
Washington DC
College Station/Bryan metro has 250k or so people. It's also 90 minutes from Houston, 2 hours from Austin and 2.5 hours to Dallas.

Logan looks a lot more like Pullman than it does College Station.
Saying CS/B is "the market" for A&M is like saying Vatican City is "the market" for Catholics. "The market" for A&M is bordered by the Red River on the north and the Rio Grande on the south.


Nobody here knows anything.

User avatar
newhouse9
Posts: 2824
Joined: January 11th, 2011, 2:58 pm
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 503 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by newhouse9 » October 27th, 2021, 3:45 pm

LoveMyAggies wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 6:48 pm
swordsman1989 wrote:I wonder if he regrets leaving USU. He got a nice paycheck at Texas Tech. But he probably could have stayed at USU for the long haul as long as he steadily won 6 to 8 games per season, with the occasional double digit win season, and occasional wins over BYU.

From a financial perspective

He’ll have to pay federal taxes on ~$16,000,000.00

(Ballparkish 5.1M to fed) leaves him with $10,900,000.00 net (I’ll wager no one turns that down for their family to move from Logan to Lubbock for 3 years)

And he DID NOT have to pay an additional $750,000.00 in taxes to the State of Utah or the State of Texas.

I think for Matt and his Family, there will be no regrets leaving for Lubbock. If he loves Logan, he can now return. Wouldnt surprise me if he went assistant in the nfl and start working his way up there.

I know a person unnamed, who went from Cache Valley to rexburg to Lubbock, and stayed there and is staying there indefinitely. And good for them who won at life in Lubbock, lol.

My bottom line assessment is Utah State needs to hire 2 people to help Hartwell do 2 things improve media and local perception, our program needs to look like a U of U or BSU or Nevada or SDSU to other programs and conferences.

Secondly there needs to be someone raising $$ for the AD and their coaches. Cache Valley Electric has helped a ton, we need more reach-out to our alumni as a whole. Use those opportunities to raise $$. Our budget should be bigger than BSU, imho.
And for those not doing so, donating to the Merlin Olsen fund helps pay our coaches!



JRA
Posts: 25
Joined: January 9th, 2013, 11:57 am
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by JRA » October 28th, 2021, 10:45 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 3:58 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 2:59 pm
USU78 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 2:47 pm
I'm aware of an investment vehicle that pays a pretty safe 8.88%. If he could put $6M of that $7.1M in, he'd get over $500K a year interest only, and that's over $44K a month.

I could cut some corners. Eat catfood. Get by on that. Couldn't you?
Please enlighten the rest of us on this investment vehicle paying a pretty safe 8.88%??
There is this BYU grad in my neighborhood that told me about it. Told me it is a sure thing. He just needs to get a few more investors before I will see any returns... I am pretty excited about it.
He actually went to UVU and I know the same guy. You must live on the west side of CV.🤣🤣🤣



User avatar
GeoAg
Moderator
Posts: 7609
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:09 am
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 565 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by GeoAg » October 28th, 2021, 10:51 am

JRA wrote:
October 28th, 2021, 10:45 am
LarryTheAggie wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 3:58 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 2:59 pm
USU78 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 2:47 pm
I'm aware of an investment vehicle that pays a pretty safe 8.88%. If he could put $6M of that $7.1M in, he'd get over $500K a year interest only, and that's over $44K a month.

I could cut some corners. Eat catfood. Get by on that. Couldn't you?
Please enlighten the rest of us on this investment vehicle paying a pretty safe 8.88%??
There is this BYU grad in my neighborhood that told me about it. Told me it is a sure thing. He just needs to get a few more investors before I will see any returns... I am pretty excited about it.
He actually went to UVU and I know the same guy. You must live on the west side of CV.🤣🤣🤣
Everybody knows you can do way better the 8.88% selling noni essential oil cocktails made from filtered water.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 2):
USU78FloridaAggie13


"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

swordsman1989
Posts: 1351
Joined: December 26th, 2010, 8:43 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 307 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by swordsman1989 » October 29th, 2021, 3:36 am

aggies22 wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 11:26 am
swordsman1989 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 11:03 pm
Guys, I have the investment opportunity of a lifetime. It is a little company specializing in latex, called Vandelay Industries.
Do you specialize in importing and exporting?
Well I am thinking of quitting importing and only focusing on the exporting.
These users thanked the author swordsman1989 for the post (total 3):
2004AGFloridaAggie13aggies22



LoveMyAggies
Posts: 503
Joined: December 7th, 2013, 11:49 pm
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 92 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by LoveMyAggies » October 29th, 2021, 5:19 am

OKAggie wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 3:33 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 11:30 am
LoveMyAggies wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 10:25 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 6:05 am
LoveMyAggies wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 4:54 am
bwcrc wrote:Agreed that we should have a bigger budget than BSU as well as most other schools in our conference. But it is not surprising that we don't given our football history. It is really only within the last decade that football has done anything to rally around. While the basketball team has generally been above average for a couple of decades now, except for a few schools around the country (e.g. Kansas), basketball doesn't generate enough excitement to fundraise for the entire athletic department.

Students within the last decade should be heavily targeted for out-reach efforts by the AD. Even though they probably can't really contribute much in the way of money yet, keeping that connection with them will be huge in a couple more years provided there is a sustained level of winning. A better relationship with area businesses would also help the AD as a whole. But if I knew how to actually accomplish either of those, I would probably be employed by the AD right now and working at making both a reality.
I am by no means an expert here, but i’ll use texas a&m as an example (you could use an iowa or a few dozen other p5 schools) who have done excellent image and branding so that fund raising happens naturally and organically in a comparable small market. Tamu is one of the smallest P5 tv markets in texas, middle of nowhere texas, not houston, DFW or San Antonio or Austin, yet they have the top fb program that went to the SEC. their AD and Donors made that happen.

We are not on the level of Ohio State of course, they have single donors who donate to their cancer research fund which exceeds the entire mw conf team budget combined, Ryan Smith types, they do this because if they didnt their $$ would go to the federal govt.

How many Utah State alumni out there who are mega millionaires or billionaires, who could donate 1/2 of their taxes owed via charitable contribution via the merlin olsen fund, im sure their CPA can figure it out.
Texas A&M is definitely not an example of a small college football market.
https://worldpopulationreview.com/us-ci ... population ... 121k people ,,,, the other point I am trying to make about them being in a small market, they don't even have an international airport in College Station. You have to bus into from other airports.



Am I missing something here population wise?? not trying to be an ahole ... I'm not seeing what you are

ie large tv Markets - in random orders .. All of which have international airports to fly in and out of

Miami
Houston
DFW
LA
New York
Atlanta
Chicago
San Francisco
San Diego
Las Vegas
Salt Lake
Seattle
Denver
Baltimore
Washington DC
College Station/Bryan metro has 250k or so people. It's also 90 minutes from Houston, 2 hours from Austin and 2.5 hours to Dallas.

Logan looks a lot more like Pullman than it does College Station.
Saying CS/B is "the market" for A&M is like saying Vatican City is "the market" for Catholics. "The market" for A&M is bordered by the Red River on the north and the Rio Grande on the south.
I wasn't trying to argue that A&M doesn't have a very large national following. I was going off of their geographic location, population, and how they improved from little brother to the University of Texas (in Austin), as a lesser B12 member to a very successful SEC member. There of course is ebbs and flows in the growth process.

Much of the excuses I hear about USU is because it's a state-funded school, more than an hour from a commercial airport, so teams don't like coming to Logan because USU is too far from SLC airport or whatever the excuse is.

How many other P5 programs are geographically separated from the modern urbanized lifestyle? Wazzu was mentioned. I still think College station is a great example of comparison, of what USU should be doing. The people on here are the choir we are preaching to, relatively speaking. It's the people who graduated from USU and have become apathetic due to a variety of reasons, we should invite them to watch the games both in Utah and outside of Utah.

I have friends and family who I, try to invite to watch the games with. The raising money issue won't resolve itself unless there first is persons in the school admin who are actively changing the school's perception in the local and national media. I think Hartwell and the coaches we've got are doing really well. Our PR department is lacking and needs the next upgrade.

Other smaller locations geographically, which have thriving P5 status, and striving overall to become top 10-15 overall programs consistently.

Baylor
Iowa
Ok state
T Tech

They have overcome being in a college town,.

Academic expansion needs to happen as well, Add-on programs like Pharmacy, Medicine, Nursing and their advanced practice or even PA? I know there's a VET program. Expand the MBA enrollment, expand the engineering enrollment and add more professors. It's a long growth process. These improvements will bring more families to Logan and more Students staying long-term in Cache valley.

Who knows maybe a couple of businesses bring 20,000 new jobs to Cache county and keep the growth in an upward trend.



FloridaAggie13
Posts: 13187
Joined: August 22nd, 2011, 2:18 pm
Has thanked: 1095 times
Been thanked: 409 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 29th, 2021, 7:29 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
October 29th, 2021, 3:36 am
aggies22 wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 11:26 am
swordsman1989 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 11:03 pm
Guys, I have the investment opportunity of a lifetime. It is a little company specializing in latex, called Vandelay Industries.
Do you specialize in importing and exporting?
Well I am thinking of quitting importing and only focusing on the exporting.
Matches?



User avatar
Sl7vk
Posts: 1777
Joined: November 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Location: Holladay Utah
Has thanked: 625 times
Been thanked: 950 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by Sl7vk » October 29th, 2021, 8:59 am




bwcrc
Posts: 252
Joined: November 7th, 2013, 12:24 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 93 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by bwcrc » October 29th, 2021, 9:08 am

Keeping students in Cache Valley to me isn't really part of the solution. Yes it helps, but not all that much. There are not enough jobs to keep them there. None of the four schools mentioned above are in their own metropolitan areas yet except for Baylor, USU total enrollment is on par with each school's enrollment (Baylor is a lot smaller).

To me, overall alumni engagement is the key. This starts during the student years and needs to continue after graduation. I think USU does a good job with engagement opportunities for students. But things need to seriously improve with alumni engagement, which seems to be virtually non-existent. I live out East and the few times USU sports teams have travelled out this way it would have been great for the AD or USU in general to reach out to inform me of the games. A few weeks ago there was an open house in the DC area scheduled for a Thursday evening and I only first heard anything about it the Tuesday before. I am not the most difficult alum to locate and hope USU on the whole will start doing a better job with alumni outreach to keep us better connected to the school. That connection is what will lead to an increase in donations.
These users thanked the author bwcrc for the post:
Aggie19



swordsman1989
Posts: 1351
Joined: December 26th, 2010, 8:43 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 307 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by swordsman1989 » October 29th, 2021, 10:32 am

LoveMyAggies wrote:
October 29th, 2021, 5:19 am
user_id=3194]
I wasn't trying to argue that A&M doesn't have a very large national following. I was going off of their geographic location, population, and how they improved from little brother to the University of Texas (in Austin), as a lesser B12 member to a very successful SEC member. There of course is ebbs and flows in the growth process.

Much of the excuses I hear about USU is because it's a state-funded school, more than an hour from a commercial airport, so teams don't like coming to Logan because USU is too far from SLC airport or whatever the excuse is.

How many other P5 programs are geographically separated from the modern urbanized lifestyle? Wazzu was mentioned. I still think College station is a great example of comparison, of what USU should be doing. The people on here are the choir we are preaching to, relatively speaking. It's the people who graduated from USU and have become apathetic due to a variety of reasons, we should invite them to watch the games both in Utah and outside of Utah.

I have friends and family who I, try to invite to watch the games with. The raising money issue won't resolve itself unless there first is persons in the school admin who are actively changing the school's perception in the local and national media. I think Hartwell and the coaches we've got are doing really well. Our PR department is lacking and needs the next upgrade.

Other smaller locations geographically, which have thriving P5 status, and striving overall to become top 10-15 overall programs consistently.

Baylor
Iowa
Ok state
T Tech

They have overcome being in a college town,.

Academic expansion needs to happen as well, Add-on programs like Pharmacy, Medicine, Nursing and their advanced practice or even PA? I know there's a VET program. Expand the MBA enrollment, expand the engineering enrollment and add more professors. It's a long growth process. These improvements will bring more families to Logan and more Students staying long-term in Cache valley.

Who knows maybe a couple of businesses bring 20,000 new jobs to Cache county and keep the growth in an upward trend.
Don’t forget State College, PA. The closest moderately sized city is Harrisburg, about a 1:40 drive away. Up until Penn State joined the Big Ten in the early 1990s, visiting teams had to fly in to Harrisburg then drive to State College. The airport was expanded to be able to handle charters as part of the conditions for Penn State to join the Big Ten.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic