Can we keep Blake?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie84025

Re: Can we keep Blake?

Post by Aggie84025 » November 15th, 2021, 10:57 am

Sl7vk wrote:
November 15th, 2021, 10:54 am
I'll take this situation any day and twice on Sunday compared to what CSU is dealing with in "the dud."

They are trying to find the money to buy out that contract, and we would be looking at a buyout.

To some other points, a contract extension with a stiffer buyout will be in order here quickly.

Worst case scenario is he starts interviewing elsewhere before the end of the season and forgets who's paying his bills like Wells did in 2018. The almost loss at CSU and then the loss at BSU would have been avoided if Wells was focused on finishing the year.
Those are great points, if he does go at least make sure this team is getting him best self and he is not short changing the team's preparation these last few weeks. We have unfinished business to deal with in beating WYO, NM and the MW championship game. It is hilarious to read the CSU board, they absolutely cannot stand the the "dude".

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » November 15th, 2021, 11:04 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
November 15th, 2021, 10:57 am
Sl7vk wrote:
I'll take this situation any day and twice on Sunday compared to what CSU is dealing with in "the dud."

They are trying to find the money to buy out that contract, and we would be looking at a buyout.

To some other points, a contract extension with a stiffer buyout will be in order here quickly.

Worst case scenario is he starts interviewing elsewhere before the end of the season and forgets who's paying his bills like Wells did in 2018. The almost loss at CSU and then the loss at BSU would have been avoided if Wells was focused on finishing the year.
Those are great points, if he does go at least make sure this team is getting him best self and he is not short changing the team's preparation these last few weeks. We have unfinished business to deal with in beating WYO, NM and the MW championship game. It is hilarious to read the CSU board, they absolutely cannot stand the the "dude".
Enjoy the good times everyone. Things have gotten rough for them over there, the admins have pinned this at the top of the board, kind of in a melt down

Go Aggies!

mike1126

Post by mike1126 » November 15th, 2021, 11:08 am

I think kilani sitaki will be looked at for the washington job over blake
These users thanked the author mike1126 for the post:
LoveMyAggies

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » November 15th, 2021, 11:37 am

Sl7vk wrote:

Same thing happened with John L. Smith back in 1997. We lost the last game of the season, at home to North Texas, and an outright conference title, because he already had one foot out the door to Louisville. Even though he had already taken the job at Louisville, he was allowed to "coach" (if you can call what he did "coaching") the team for its bowl game vs. Cincinnati, and the team showed up hung over and grossly unprepared.
These users thanked the author swordsman1989 for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13aggies22

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » November 15th, 2021, 2:22 pm

I hope Kalani Sitaki, Gets poached or the UW job, Seattle is a great metro area, the weather is beautiful, and the pine trees smell great when it rains. Then ybu will be left to hire their own internal unproven up and comer.

I really hope USU figures out how to retain Blake and the staff. Of all of the coaches we've had, I only am more impressed with the results on the field that Todd Orlando, David Yost, and Dave Aranda produced on their side of the ball.

Anderson has somehow figured out how to gell together a solid team effort. I love where we are at post-SJSU.

If Hartwell reads this board, I am very impressed with your coach selection process, and how you have smartly executed things in the best interest and done the appropriate due diligence in hiring excellent coaches that fit the Aggie community. I agree with the sediments shared on other threads that Hartwell has done a great job. Whatever we are paying him, he deserves a 50% pay raise.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » November 15th, 2021, 3:39 pm

swordsman1989 wrote:
November 15th, 2021, 11:37 am
Sl7vk wrote:

Same thing happened with John L. Smith back in 1997. We lost the last game of the season, at home to North Texas, and an outright conference title, because he already had one foot out the door to Louisville. Even though he had already taken the job at Louisville, he was allowed to "coach" (if you can call what he did "coaching") the team for its bowl game vs. Cincinnati, and the team showed up hung over and grossly unprepared.
And our backup QB showing up to the game with a broken arm after getting into a bar fight in DT Boise. :lol:
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13aggies22

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » November 15th, 2021, 3:43 pm

Why can’t we change the status quo one of these years. If Blake gets offered 3.5 million elsewhere why can’t we pay him that also? Let’s keep one of these coaches just once! Hell, other schools go into debt, why not us!

SeattleAg

Post by SeattleAg » November 15th, 2021, 4:36 pm

LoveMyAggies wrote:
November 15th, 2021, 2:22 pm
I hope Kalani Sitaki, Gets poached or the UW job, Seattle is a great metro area, the weather is beautiful, and the pine trees smell great when it rains. Then ybu will be left to hire their own internal unproven up and comer.
I would be fairly surprised, but not blown away, if Sitake comes up here for UW. I think they are going to want a bigger name than that, considering the trash fire right now. Also not sure if the regional distrust for Utah/Mormons would be an obstacle. (There is a BYU precedent in Sarkisian, but considering he later lost the USC job due to alcoholism, there wasn't any faith-based reluctance there.)
If UW goes to the MW for a coach, I would rate UNR or Fresneck more likely targets. My source level on this is whatever is lowest.

Also, not sure if serious about the weather, but we're currently under flood/landslide watch after 7 inches of rain in 14 days, and 10,000 people lose power every time a tree falls down.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » November 15th, 2021, 4:42 pm

SeattleAg wrote:
November 15th, 2021, 4:36 pm
LoveMyAggies wrote:
I would be fairly surprised, but not blown away, if Sitake comes up here for UW. I think they are going to want a bigger name than that, considering the trash fire right now. Also not sure if the regional distrust for Utah/Mormons would be an obstacle. (There is a BYU precedent in Sarkisian, but considering he later lost the USC job due to alcoholism, there wasn't any faith-based reluctance there.)
If UW goes to the MW for a coach, I would rate UNR or Fresneck more likely targets. My source level on this is whatever is lowest.

Also, not sure if serious about the weather, but we're currently under flood/landslide watch after 7 inches of rain in 14 days, and 10,000 people lose power every time a tree falls down.
Uhm unless he converted somewhere along the line, Sark is not LDS and never has been. The "Harvard of the West" LOL got Sark from El Camino Collage here in So. Cal, if I'm not mistaken, Sark is Greek Orthodox.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
NowhereLandAggie

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

ManitobaAggie

Post by ManitobaAggie » November 15th, 2021, 6:50 pm

Call me crazy but what if we turn into the next Boise? Harsin had it made in Boise, if Blake got this thing really rolling we could pay him AND he can have the safest FBS job in the country.

I can dream right?

Or Wells calls him and tells him what life is really like in the P5.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 15th, 2021, 6:51 pm

troutputz wrote:
November 15th, 2021, 3:43 pm
Why can’t we change the status quo one of these years. If Blake gets offered 3.5 million elsewhere why can’t we pay him that also? Let’s keep one of these coaches just once! Hell, other schools go into debt, why not us!
We did keep "one of these coaches just once." He led us to 8 ncaa tournaments, 4nits and 6 conference titles
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
StanfordAggie

ManitobaAggie

Post by ManitobaAggie » November 15th, 2021, 6:55 pm

The stars aligned with Stew, maybe they will align again with Blake. (Praying)

PIGSKINAGGIE

Post by PIGSKINAGGIE » November 16th, 2021, 1:42 am

ManitobaAggie wrote:
November 15th, 2021, 6:55 pm
The stars aligned with Stew, maybe they will align again with Blake. (Praying)
I can see coach A wanting to plant roots and stay for awhile. Don’t know him, (but would like to) he just seems like the type that is content and grateful to be here from everything I’ve watched and read of him and just seems real genuine and not out to chase the money and knows that the grass isn’t always greener on the other side of the hill. Here’s to hoping he’ll be around awhile and we can name something after him when he wins a hundred games here and retires as the greatest coach in Aggie history:)!

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » November 16th, 2021, 8:40 am

In the article about Blake on ESPN, it was mentioned that he used to be a workaholic, and was climbing the ladder at the expense of his family. He worked to the point that his wife was ready to leave. So he sorted his priorities out (actually quit coaching for a couple of years) and that's why he's big on family now. It said that Louisiana Lafayette was a great fit because it wasn't as demanding as other places, and they were cool with the family first idea. Once the kids are grown, does he go back to climbing the ladder? Or does he do what he loves in a place that will allow him to do it with the changed priorities?

If you haven't read it already:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.c ... atform=amp
These users thanked the author dirtnsnow for the post:
slcagg

Aggies All the Way!

AgSpaceCase

Post by AgSpaceCase » November 16th, 2021, 8:57 am

With his new marriage he has small children again so if this is his current philosophy he has a good decade plus before the they are out of the house. better for us it would seem.

"Due to budget cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...."

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » November 16th, 2021, 9:01 am

AgSpaceCase wrote:
November 16th, 2021, 8:57 am
With his new marriage he has small children again so if this is his current philosophy he has a good decade plus before the they are out of the house. better for us it would seem.
Didn't know that, I hope it bodes well for us.

Aggies All the Way!

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 16th, 2021, 9:08 am

If Blake is concerned with family and stress level he should consider that many of the teams that have parted with their coaches are bowl teams or were on the path to bowl eligibility prior to firing their coach.

There is a lot changing in college football. I think schools are oversteering in firing coaches (like Texas Tech) and I don’t think the instability is going to benefit those schools in the long run.

SeattleAg

Post by SeattleAg » November 16th, 2021, 9:14 am

ViAggie wrote:
November 15th, 2021, 4:42 pm
SeattleAg wrote:
November 15th, 2021, 4:36 pm
LoveMyAggies wrote:

Uhm unless he converted somewhere along the line, Sark is not LDS and never has been. The "Harvard of the West" LOL got Sark from El Camino Collage here in So. Cal, if I'm not mistaken, Sark is Greek Orthodox.
Yeah, my comment may have been unclear, but Sark was never really seen here as a BYU guy, even tho he played against UW as the BYU qb. He was very much a USC product in everyone's eyes here. Very not Mormon.

IBleedAggieBlue

Post by IBleedAggieBlue » November 16th, 2021, 12:35 pm

Kalani Sitaki is going nowhere. Why would he leave when BYU is getting hot and he can recruit just about anyone, and now they are in the power-5?

I do believe that there are several more, established coaches, to choose from in the MW before taking Blake. However, we maybe keep him 2 more years, and if it gets better than it did this year, he'll be gone.

Keep Hartwell happy!!

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » November 16th, 2021, 1:13 pm

IBleedAggieBlue wrote:
November 16th, 2021, 12:35 pm
Kalani Sitaki is going nowhere. Why would he leave when BYU is getting hot and he can recruit just about anyone, and now they are in the power-5?

I do believe that there are several more, established coaches, to choose from in the MW before taking Blake. However, we maybe keep him 2 more years, and if it gets better than it did this year, he'll be gone.

Keep Hartwell happy!!
Easier recruiting (no honor code or lds religion to deal with) and more money (I'm guessing here, but have a feeling the church doesn't quite pay top dollar for football coaches) and just because they are going to a P5 conference, doesn't automatically put you on equally footing with all the other P5 jobs (Vanderbilt, Rutgers, byu-p,etc) Some jobs are better than others. I'm not sure he'll leave either, but I think there are plenty of valid reasons to go. From my point of my view anyway.

Go Aggies!

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » November 16th, 2021, 1:23 pm

It's an old discussion, what I'm about to say, but much of keeping a guy like Blake is to build serious support for the program, fill the stadium, be engaged with donations, etc.

He's a guy who loves, and our players and coaches are drawn to that. He also appreciates feeling the love.

I will continue to do what I can fill the stadium (including making suggestions to Athletics) and keep bringing the energy and love for the program.
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post (total 3):
AgliciousHootGeoAg

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » November 16th, 2021, 2:09 pm

Elkaggie wrote:Honest question.
No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post:
brownjeans

Hail Aggies!

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » November 16th, 2021, 2:09 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:I hope so, i think he will have offers this year to leave if he wants. Another question is if we can keep him will we be able to keep the coordinators or coaches like Cefalo who has been awesome.
No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post:
brownjeans

Hail Aggies!

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » November 16th, 2021, 5:15 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
November 16th, 2021, 1:13 pm
IBleedAggieBlue wrote:
November 16th, 2021, 12:35 pm

Keep Hartwell happy!!
Easier recruiting (no honor code or lds religion to deal with) and more money (I'm guessing here, but have a feeling the church doesn't quite pay top dollar for football coaches) and just because they are going to a P5 conference, doesn't automatically put you on equally footing with all the other P5 jobs (Vanderbilt, Rutgers, byu-p,etc) Some jobs are better than others. I'm not sure he'll leave either, but I think there are plenty of valid reasons to go. From my point of my view anyway.
More money plus Holmoe/byu hasn't shown Kalani much love until now. If USC or Washington offers, Kalani is gone.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » November 16th, 2021, 5:19 pm

Another reason USU/byu fans should be worried is the general lack of supply (quality candidates) versus the high number of openings. TTU basically replaced Wells with a high school coach. CBS sports posted an article about it today (Anderson was mentioned):

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ystalizes/

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 16th, 2021, 6:09 pm

We need to be in the $1.7-$2.2M range in my estimation if we ever expect to keep good coaches.

Do we like Blake? Then pay the man.

I fully expect us to lose Cefalo to Colorado next year anyway.

Increase the budget 20% and do it. If we can ever breakthrough to having consecutive 10-2, 9-3 type seasons, with home MWC games I think
we will make the money back.

We consistently have a lower budget than peers and do well. The next level will take us opening up the school’s budget.

So long as we keep acting like a glorified fcs school whose existence is a single money game then that’s all we will ever be.

Pay the man.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post (total 2):
aggies22FloridaAggie13

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » November 16th, 2021, 6:36 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
November 16th, 2021, 5:19 pm
Another reason USU/byu fans should be worried is the general lack of supply (quality candidates) versus the high number of openings. TTU basically replaced Wells with a high school coach. CBS sports posted an article about it today (Anderson was mentioned):

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ystalizes/
You might be the only person in America that has made the Joey McGuire hire sound like anything other than a home run.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » November 17th, 2021, 8:28 pm

Great Win!

Jackscoach
Has thanked: 0

Post by Jackscoach » November 18th, 2021, 8:55 pm

3 points….

1. If Aranda leaves Baylor for LSU, look for BA to be the front runner. He was runner up twice when they hired Rhule and Aranda. Also TCU could be in the mix as well

2. BA is a TX boy and that’s where he wants to be. In addition there are a lot of P5 coaches on this staff and they want to get back there. Given an opportunity they (including BA) will leave in a heartbeat.

3. If y’all want to increase the budget by 20% or pay our HC $2,000,000 or more y’all better start dropping some serious donations, get the 80% to start making donations and find a few businesses to pony up for NIL money. This dept is seriously underpaying staff (who are leaving left and right at the moment), have serious debt (Estes, Icon, West Stadium), and lacks basic infrastructure needed to support a top tier Group of 5 football program.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 18th, 2021, 9:17 pm

If Usu wins 10 games this year I think Blake is gone.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 18th, 2021, 9:59 pm

If either school wants him, Blake will be the next head coach at Baylor or TCU.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 18th, 2021, 10:04 pm

I am just going to enjoy the ride this season. I want to see the Aggies win division and then the conference. Hopefully Blake stays, but we shall see. It would be hard to start over with all new coaches if it happens, but he maybe he will not get any offers or decide to stay.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 18th, 2021, 10:13 pm

The upshot to Blake leaving this year as opposed to him inevitably leaving after year three would be the huuuuuuuge buyout we’d get. Could probably even buy some new uniforms with it.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 18th, 2021, 10:13 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
November 18th, 2021, 10:13 pm
The upshot to Blake leaving this year would be the huuuuuuuge buyout we’d get. Could probably even buy some new uniforms with it.
It would be a good buyout and new uniforms would be great.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 18th, 2021, 10:35 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
November 18th, 2021, 10:04 pm
but he maybe he will not get any offers or decide to stay.
I think not getting any offers is the more realistic thing to hope for. He's not turning down the kind of money a P5 school would offer.

Locked Previous topicNext topic