Can we keep Blake?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Sl7vk

Re: Can we keep Blake?

Post by Sl7vk » November 23rd, 2021, 1:17 pm

I didn't love Blake's response to the question in the presser this week. Something to the effect that inquiries go through his agent and that it's been quiet.
I liked the fact that he said he was focused on us and our games. I didn't love the fact that he didn't at least pretend to throw water on the notion of leaving Logan.
If and when Blake leaves I'll tip my cap and thank him for his time here, because wooo boy, it's been a huge turn around.
That said, I certainly don't see him here for too long if results are good. Hartwell should be scouting the next coach on his off days for sure.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » November 23rd, 2021, 1:55 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
November 23rd, 2021, 1:17 pm
I didn't love Blake's response to the question in the presser this week. Something to the effect that inquiries go through his agent and that it's been quiet.
I liked the fact that he said he was focused on us and our games. I didn't love the fact that he didn't at least pretend to throw water on the notion of leaving Logan.
If and when Blake leaves I'll tip my cap and thank him for his time here, because wooo boy, it's been a huge turn around.
That said, I certainly don't see him here for too long if results are good. Hartwell should be scouting the next coach on his off days for sure.
Guys guys, I have it on GOOD AUTHORITY that we can get... GET THIS... DAVE ARANDA to take a pay cut as an assistant coach to come hear as HC. Well, that is if LSU wasn't hiring him as HC, but if they weren't... I bet he'd be dumb enough.... err smart enough to take that pay cut and move back to Logan! :thumbsup:
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
Sl7vk

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 23rd, 2021, 2:14 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
Well, cause of course he'll leave if the right opportunity came up. I always appreciated that Wells didn't (I can't express myself without swearing) about leaving if the right opportunity came.

I would love to keep him, but USU will get a princely sum if someone wants him this season. If I'm a P5 team, I am a little wary that he had a losing season last year in the Sun Belt and has only been at USU for one year. He's an expensive risk right now for those searching for coaches. I like our chances of keeping him, and if not, Hartwell can hire another coach, buy us some new uniforms, and put in a Scrooge McDuck swimming pool full of money with the buyout.

If I'm the AD at a P5, I think Anderson is a tough sell to the fanbase. Maybe I'm wrong.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 23rd, 2021, 2:42 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
November 23rd, 2021, 2:14 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
Well, cause of course he'll leave if the right opportunity came up. I always appreciated that Wells didn't (I can't express myself without swearing) about leaving if the right opportunity came.

I would love to keep him, but USU will get a princely sum if someone wants him this season. If I'm a P5 team, I am a little wary that he had a losing season last year in the Sun Belt and has only been at USU for one year. He's an expensive risk right now for those searching for coaches. I like our chances of keeping him, and if not, Hartwell can hire another coach, buy us some new uniforms, and put in a Scrooge McDuck swimming pool full of money with the buyout.

If I'm the AD at a P5, I think Anderson is a tough sell to the fanbase. Maybe I'm wrong.
What is the buyout anyways?

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » November 23rd, 2021, 3:17 pm

Buyout should be his remaining contract which would be 4 years at 1 million, so 4 million total.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 23rd, 2021, 3:56 pm

I'm hopeful that Wells' & Gary's failures may hurt the chances of our head coach getting hired away. It may be a tougher sale to fanbases and maybe USU is seen a bit as a place that easy to build a G5 winner where the coach struggles to make the P5 jump.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 23rd, 2021, 4:18 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
November 23rd, 2021, 3:17 pm
Buyout should be his remaining contract which would be 4 years at 1 million, so 4 million total.
I believe it is ~75% of the remaining contract if it is within like 2-3 years of the start of the contract which would be in the ~$3MM range.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 23rd, 2021, 5:13 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
I didn't love the fact that he didn't at least pretend to throw water on the notion of leaving Logan.
Yeah he could issue an official press release saying he will be here next year so we could feel safe cause that always is legit and means something. Oh Wait.......

We'll feel safe when the Baylor job is filled with someone else, or the USC, Florida and LSU jobs are all filled with someone other than Dave Aranda leaving him at Baylor. And when the Virginia Tech job is filled with someone else, and the jobs open as a result of the USC, Florida and LSU jobs. Even then, there is always a strange off the field incident that could cause us to lose BA if the openings as a result of on-filed play haven't. An off the field incident was what caused us to lose the younger energized Gary.

coolag

Post by coolag » November 23rd, 2021, 5:29 pm

I've been told by other Aggie fans that some of us Aggie fans expect too much for the money we pay and the cheapskate fans think we should win every game. For this reason I fully expect Blake to take a P5 job at Baylor or similar because they don't have high expectations and don't expect to win now and often.

Regulator of Class

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 23rd, 2021, 5:39 pm

As long as he doesn't utter the kiss of death. "I don't like ya Utah State, I luv ya!!"

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 23rd, 2021, 6:47 pm

Or that his wife loves Logan.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 23rd, 2021, 6:56 pm

I did read an article in the Athletic this week about the 33 coaching candidates for all the vacancies Blake was not listed.
Last edited by Elkaggie on November 23rd, 2021, 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post:
aggies22

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » November 23rd, 2021, 7:13 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
November 23rd, 2021, 2:14 pm
Sl7vk wrote:

I agree. If this were Anderson's first coaching gig, and he was in his 30s or early 40s, he'd probably be gone already. But he is in his 50s, and he has a good, but not great, record overall (just over .600) in the Sun Belt and MWC. He is not going to blow the doors off any mid to higher level P5 school fanbase.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » November 23rd, 2021, 7:25 pm

Baylor will aim higher. While I think Blake would do well at Baylor, that fan base isn’t going to settle for a G5 coach with Blake’s resume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 23rd, 2021, 7:47 pm

Things are getting ridiculous. I don’t know how we even compete or if we should even be in this arms race.

G5 schools like like Liberty are now paying their coach $4mm/year.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 23rd, 2021, 7:49 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
November 23rd, 2021, 7:47 pm
Things are getting ridiculous. I don’t know how we even compete or if we should even be in this arms race.

We can't compete nor should we try to compete like that. 4mm for a coach at G5 school is ridiculous or any school for that matter.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » November 23rd, 2021, 8:02 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:

Things would have to change dramatically for us to even entertain matching an offer like that.

Stucki

Post by Stucki » November 23rd, 2021, 8:17 pm

Liberty has serious money. Apparently that is one reason that conferences hadn't already invited them.

Hail the Utah Aggies!

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » November 23rd, 2021, 8:19 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
November 23rd, 2021, 7:25 pm
Baylor will aim higher. While I think Blake would do well at Baylor, that fan base isn’t going to settle for a G5 coach with Blake’s resume.

Have they considered the fact that Blake and Aranda are basically the same person because Aranda definitely wanted to work at USU?

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » November 23rd, 2021, 8:22 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
November 23rd, 2021, 8:19 pm
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

Have they considered the fact that Blake and Aranda are basically the same person because Aranda definitely wanted to work at USU?
I have to ask. Do some of you guys really still not believe this?

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » November 23rd, 2021, 8:35 pm

aggies22 wrote:
November 23rd, 2021, 8:22 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

I think it's impossible to know, based on the facts, if Aranda would have really come here.

Unless someone somewhere has a text, recorded call, or other piece of evidence that confirms that Dave said something to the effect of "I am all in on USU and leaving LSU if they offer me" I am going to believe that he was simply playing the carousel well.

My personal opinion is that he knew he was 1-2 years away from a P5 head coach job if he wanted it, and that staying friendly with USU was more of a backup just in case things had gone awry with Orgeron at LSU. I have no doubt that he spoke with someone at USU (either in an official capacity or via back channels) and was quite friendly. Where I draw the line is "we definitely had Dave Aranda if we hadn't hired Gary again." I just don't think that is knowable at this point.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » November 23rd, 2021, 8:48 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
November 23rd, 2021, 8:35 pm
aggies22 wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

I think it's impossible to know, based on the facts, if Aranda would have really come here.

Unless someone somewhere has a text, recorded call, or other piece of evidence that confirms that Dave said something to the effect of "I am all in on USU and leaving LSU if they offer me" I am going to believe that he was simply playing the carousel well.

My personal opinion is that he knew he was 1-2 years away from a P5 head coach job if he wanted it, and that staying friendly with USU was more of a backup just in case things had gone awry with Orgeron at LSU. I have no doubt that he spoke with someone at USU (either in an official capacity or via back channels) and was quite friendly. Where I draw the line is "we definitely had Dave Aranda if we hadn't hired Gary again." I just don't think that is knowable at this point.
You can read the article, I think someone posted the whole thing in a thread, that's what people are referencing. I don't believe anyone said anything about "definitely" anything, only that he had interest in the job. Was that legit on his part? Only he and his people know that.

Go Aggies!

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » November 23rd, 2021, 9:15 pm

I am going to predict that we keep Anderson longer than we keep Odom.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 23rd, 2021, 9:46 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
November 23rd, 2021, 9:15 pm
With regards to Odom, I am more worried about the number of NCAA Tournament wins we get out of him than years we get him for. We can hope that there is now a perception that pretty much anyone get Utah State to go to the NCAA Tournament and lose in the first round, and that the big schools will want to see wins out of Odom in order to want him.

Even though we did get that elusive P5 road win out of Anderson, we need another year of his recruiting and development with all the seniors we have this year, and can't afford to start over, whereas it's easier for a basketball coach starting over to bring in a few guys.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 23rd, 2021, 10:02 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
Any reason why you think this?

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 24th, 2021, 5:50 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:

And for those who may think Liberty is just a big anomaly, little ol' UTSA from Conference USA that started its football program in 2012, just signed their coach to an extension where his salary will average $2.8mm/year.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » November 24th, 2021, 5:52 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
November 23rd, 2021, 10:02 pm
LarryTheAggie wrote:
Any reason why you think this?
Mostly a hunch.

I think Odom will be here 3 years then head back East. It seems more clear to me that Odom is using USU as a springboard to a bigger job and that is fine. I think there are a lot of bigger jobs that he would fit at, and with a couple of NCAA wins I think he is gone. He is 47, it makes sense to leave when you are 50. Hopefully, he gets us to the sweet 16 or something like that.

It is not as clear that Anderson is looking for something else, I mean I am sure he would leave if the right opportunity comes. I don't know that there are as many bigger jobs that Anderson is a fit for. He seems very concerned about fit with the job. He is 52, which is not much older than Odom,, but he already got his 50 year move out of him.. If he moves in 3 years he will be 55.He also seems like he has other priorities at this point in life than other coaches. He is also not a new shiny coach that will get a fan base excited. Seems like P5 programs go for younger next big thing type coaches more often than not. He also stuck around ASU for a while despite being tied to other bigger jobs, and needed a pretty big life changing event to leave.

I am probably reading way to into things. Maybe I am just still jilted that Smith left after only 3 years so I expect Odom to leave soon too.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 24th, 2021, 7:31 am

Mostly a hunch.

I think Odom will be here 3 years then head back East. It seems more clear to me that Odom is using USU as a springboard to a bigger job and that is fine. I think there are a lot of bigger jobs that he would fit at, and with a couple of NCAA wins I think he is gone. He is 47, it makes sense to leave when you are 50. Hopefully, he gets us to the sweet 16 or something like that.

It is not as clear that Anderson is looking for something else, I mean I am sure he would leave if the right opportunity comes. I don't know that there are as many bigger jobs that Anderson is a fit for. He seems very concerned about fit with the job. He is 52, which is not much older than Odom,, but he already got his 50 year move out of him.. If he moves in 3 years he will be 55.He also seems like he has other priorities at this point in life than other coaches. He is also not a new shiny coach that will get a fan base excited. Seems like P5 programs go for younger next big thing type coaches more often than not. He also stuck around ASU for a while despite being tied to other bigger jobs, and needed a pretty big life changing event to leave.

I am probably reading way to into things. Maybe I am just still jilted that Smith left after only 3 years so I expect Odom to leave soon too.
I think that’s fair. If the success comes/continues, I would be shocked to see either here in 3 years.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » November 24th, 2021, 8:53 am

Aggie19 wrote:
November 23rd, 2021, 8:48 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

You can read the article, I think someone posted the whole thing in a thread, that's what people are referencing. I don't believe anyone said anything about "definitely" anything, only that he had interest in the job. Was that legit on his part? Only he and his people know that.
Exactly. I've never said Aranda was definitely coming to Utah State. I've only said that his interest in the Utah State opening was very real. Once Aranda was off the table, Hartwell really wanted to hire none other than Blake Anderson.

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » November 24th, 2021, 9:02 am

I think if we get 3-5 years out of a good coach that is a Success.
These users thanked the author TrueAG for the post:
aggies22

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » November 24th, 2021, 9:29 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

You're right, nothing is 100% until it's 100% so it's a pretty safe bet to say something like that. But to completely neglect the track record of the multiple individuals on this board that have stated the same thing about Aranda based off nothing more than your intuition is a bit ironic.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » November 24th, 2021, 9:51 am

I think it’s excessively foolish to sign coaches to fat, 10-year contracts. Look at Richmond’s basketball coach… in 2011 he took them to a sweet sixteen, but since then they have not returned to the NCAA tournament. They’ve been to the NIT 3 times. Good for UTSA and Liberty for having the money, but I don’t think it’s the best idea to agree to huge contracts.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 24th, 2021, 9:58 am

What’s the argument for a school like USU paying a football coach any more than we are paying now?

We can’t compete with P5 money no matter what we do, and if we end up hiring a stinker, we’re on the hook for a bigger chunk of change for a buyout if that person needs to be fired.

I think Anderson is paid just about right given our situation. Too much risk for a school like us to pay any more for a coach that is inevitably going to leave around year 3 if successful, IMO.

There’s just too big of a gulf between G5 and P5 money to even try to do anything in this arms race other than try to stay in the ballpark of what MW peers are paying.

We’re a lower cost of living area by even MW standards, and are right in the middle of the pack in the MW in terms of coaches salary even without adjusting for cost of living. I think our job is priced “just right.”
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 3):
3rdGenAggiegomretataggies22

gomretat

Post by gomretat » November 24th, 2021, 10:21 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
November 24th, 2021, 9:58 am
What’s the argument for a school like USU paying a football coach any more than we are paying now?

We can’t compete with P5 money no matter what we do, and if we end up hiring a stinker, we’re on the hook for a bigger chunk of change for a buyout if that person needs to be fired.

I think Anderson is paid just about right given our situation. Too much risk for a school like us to pay any more for a coach that is inevitably going to leave around year 3 if successful, IMO.

There’s just too big of a gulf between G5 and P5 money to even try to do anything in this arms race other than try to stay in the ballpark of what MW peers are paying.

We’re a lower cost of living area by even MW standards, and are right in the middle of the pack in the MW in terms of coaches salary even without adjusting for cost of living. I think our job is priced “just right.”
Well said. The arms race between the haves and have nots is increasing with no end in sight. We have to assume that if we get an effective coach this is a stepping stone job. I hope we continue to have coaches who win enough that bigger schools want them. I also hope we get a great coach who wants to stay in Logan but I am not counting on it.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 24th, 2021, 10:28 am

ineptimusprime wrote:What’s the argument for a school like USU paying a football coach any more than we are paying now?

You’re absolutely correct. There isn’t really a reason to pay more.

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
aggies22

Locked Previous topicNext topic