Hawaii

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg

Hawaii

Post by slcagg » January 21st, 2022, 9:51 pm

Wow. What a mess.

These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
aggies22

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Re: Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 21st, 2022, 9:59 pm

Supposedly the contract was for only 2 years and the AD wanted control of hiring assistants. Jone Jones is 68 so if he took the job, it wouldn't be for long term, but you still gotta give him a longer contract than that and give him full freedom to assemble a staff.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » January 21st, 2022, 10:31 pm

hahaha wow! Hire Matt Wells Hawaii!
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
LKGates

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 21st, 2022, 11:13 pm

Wow HAW is a mess. They might really struggle this coming year.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
LKGates

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » January 21st, 2022, 11:30 pm

Good year to play them ok the road I guess.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 21st, 2022, 11:38 pm

GeoAg wrote:
January 21st, 2022, 11:30 pm
Good year to play them ok the road I guess.
It is, but that is nothing new. Since joining the MW:

2013 USU 47 Hawaii 10
2014 USU 35 Hawaii 14 (On Oahu)
2017 USU 38 Hawaii 0
2018 USU 56 Hawaii 17 (On Oahu)
2021 USU 51 Hawaii 31

We own them about as bad as one team can own another.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 5):
slcaggaggies22LKGatesViAggieJSHarvey

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » January 22nd, 2022, 1:19 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
January 21st, 2022, 9:59 pm
Supposedly the contract was for only 2 years and the AD wanted control of hiring assistants. Jone Jones is 68 so if he took the job, it wouldn't be for long term, but you still gotta give him a longer contract than that and give him full freedom to assemble a staff.
If the two (2) year contract term is accurate, and the A D wanted to control staff hiring, this is an athletic dead end. This A D must be delusional or just on a terminal ego trip. This situation is beginning to show the earmarks of a failing athletic institution. Either the A D or the Hawaii administration need to wake up and smell the roses. or mercifully drop the sport. . Who would take that job,,,ever????????????????
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
aggies22

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 22nd, 2022, 2:09 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
January 22nd, 2022, 1:19 pm
If the two (2) year contract term is accurate, and the A D wanted to control staff hiring, this is an athletic dead end. This A D must be delusional or just on a terminal ego trip. This situation is beginning to show the earmarks of a failing athletic institution. Either the A D or the Hawaii administration need to wake up and smell the roses. or mercifully drop the sport. . Who would take that job,,,ever????????????????
Why would you insult a Coach like June Jones that took your program to such heights with an asinine offer like that?
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Hoot

Post by Hoot » January 22nd, 2022, 4:07 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
Live in Hawaii and coach football? Sounds terrible…..
These users thanked the author Hoot for the post:
ViAggie

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 22nd, 2022, 8:27 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 22nd, 2022, 2:09 pm
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
Why would you insult a Coach like June Jones that took your program to such heights with an asinine offer like that?
Especially when your fanbase has a high degree of reverence for June Jones. As someone who lived in Hawaii for a few years long after June Jones left Hawaii, he was still treated like football royalty by their fanbase. You go to a sports bar in Honolulu, there is a good chance you'll see a poster of the 2007 Sugar Bowl team in it.

I don't know if a 68 year old June Jones is the right answer for on field results, but as far as winning over your fanbase after all the turmoil that has engulfed the program, it is absolutely the right move. It would immediately bring excitement back to Hawaii football, at least for Hawaii fans.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » January 22nd, 2022, 8:31 pm

And now they’ve hired a wr coach from a fellow mw school. Wow.

A former qb there but hawaii Is a mess.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 22nd, 2022, 8:54 pm

slcagg wrote:
January 22nd, 2022, 8:31 pm

Timmy Chang was a Hawaii legend, so I get it, but definitely an unproven commodity.

SMU (2012–2013)
Graduate assistant
Jackson State (2014–2015)
Offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach
Emory & Henry (2016)
Offensive coordinator
Nevada (2017)
Inside wide receivers coach
Nevada (2018–2020)
Tight ends coach
Nevada (2021)
Wide receivers coach

That is a thin resume for a guy about to be thrown into the fire. Glad we have Hartwell.

Parelkid

Post by Parelkid » January 22nd, 2022, 9:05 pm

slcagg wrote:

I don't know... How long do you expect a guy like that to stick around anyways? I think they wanted to get him to stand the program back up for a couple years and then hand it to Chang, and I think that's what he was planning on doing anyways. Seems to me he wanted a 5 year contract knowing full well he'd only be there for 2 or 3 years. Seems like his claim regarding not choosing his staff also had more to do with the program wanting to make Chang officially HC in waiting and he didn't like that because of a potential power struggle.

The fact that he went public the way he did seemed pretty underhanded. Did he really have the program in mind with what he said? Seemed more like he was trying to gain leverage over the AD by trying to drum up vocal fan support.

You don't have to look very far to realize completely handing over the reigns to a previously successful HC that's now past their prime and more in the mode of coasting is not really a formula for success.

Unfortunately I think the original plan of Jones for 2 years then hand it to Chang was going to be their best formula for success. I don't think going straight to Chang is going to work out considering his relative inexperience, but who knows.
These users thanked the author Parelkid for the post (total 2):
Sl7vkJSHarvey

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 22nd, 2022, 9:12 pm

Yes, it would have been much better to hire Chang as the OC and coach in waiting with June Jones running things for a few years. That way they could have vetted Chang's ability more while also seeing him prepare and be more ready for the job. I agree that seems like the original plan. Hopefully Chang hires some proven well experienced assistants otherwise this could go south in a hurry. He already has a tough rebuild with all the guys that have left the program.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » January 22nd, 2022, 9:16 pm

January 22nd, 2022, 8:54 pm
slcagg wrote:

Timmy Chang was a Hawaii legend, so I get it, but definitely an unproven commodity.

SMU (2012–2013)
Graduate assistant
Jackson State (2014–2015)
Offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach
Emory & Henry (2016)
Offensive coordinator
Nevada (2017)
Inside wide receivers coach
Nevada (2018–2020)
Tight ends coach
Nevada (2021)
Wide receivers coach

That is a thin resume for a guy about to be thrown into the fire. Glad we have Hartwell.
Not to mention I’m not sure many guys could win at hawaii right now. No money, poor facilities etc

LKGates

Post by LKGates » January 23rd, 2022, 1:22 am

Hawaii will be playing their games next year in a converted practice facility with a seating capacity of 6,000, with no firm date on a permanent solution. Not to be cliched, but they are a dumpster fire. A former player/current position coach was probably as good as they could expect.

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » January 23rd, 2022, 2:36 am

LKGates wrote:
January 23rd, 2022, 1:22 am
Hawaii will be playing their games next year in a converted practice facility with a seating capacity of 6,000, with no firm date on a permanent solution. Not to be cliched, but they are a dumpster fire. A former player/current position coach was probably as good as they could expect.
I am sure the mess regarding the stadium is causing them to lose whatever few prospects they might have been able to hold on to. Unless a recruit cannot fathom leaving the islands for anything, there cannot be much attracting a home state recruit to that program if they have any other offers.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » January 23rd, 2022, 11:37 am

Parelkid wrote:
January 22nd, 2022, 9:05 pm
slcagg wrote:

I don't know... How long do you expect a guy like that to stick around anyways? I think they wanted to get him to stand the program back up for a couple years and then hand it to Chang, and I think that's what he was planning on doing anyways. Seems to me he wanted a 5 year contract knowing full well he'd only be there for 2 or 3 years. Seems like his claim regarding not choosing his staff also had more to do with the program wanting to make Chang officially HC in waiting and he didn't like that because of a potential power struggle.

The fact that he went public the way he did seemed pretty underhanded. Did he really have the program in mind with what he said? Seemed more like he was trying to gain leverage over the AD by trying to drum up vocal fan support.

You don't have to look very far to realize completely handing over the reigns to a previously successful HC that's now past their prime and more in the mode of coasting is not really a formula for success.

Unfortunately I think the original plan of Jones for 2 years then hand it to Chang was going to be their best formula for success. I don't think going straight to Chang is going to work out considering his relative inexperience, but who knows.
I agree here. Much respect to what JJ did at Hawaii years ago, but he's pushing 70. Going public with his negotiation, and then talking about he's doing this for the people of Hawaii... what was he going on about?

Chang has his work cut out for him, but the core problem for Hawaii football is not having any money. That tends to be a core problem for a lot of people/situations that is hard to work around.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
Parelkid

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » January 24th, 2022, 10:00 am

Wasn't JJ the coach at SMU when they "upgraded" their locker rooms to look like a strip club?
These users thanked the author BigBlueDart for the post:
ViAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » January 24th, 2022, 10:31 am

BigBlueDart wrote:
January 24th, 2022, 10:00 am
Wasn't JJ the coach at SMU when they "upgraded" their locker rooms to look like a strip club?
Yes

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Locked Previous topicNext topic