Air Force recruiting

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg

Air Force recruiting

Post by slcagg » January 23rd, 2022, 1:27 pm

How come Air Force can 40+ guys? Isn’t this a huge benefit to them when recruiting 2-3 star guys where only so many of them turn out.

Sl7vk

Re: Air Force recruiting

Post by Sl7vk » January 23rd, 2022, 2:08 pm

slcagg wrote:
January 23rd, 2022, 1:27 pm
How come Air Force can 40+ guys? Isn’t this a huge benefit to them when recruiting 2-3 star guys where only so many of them turn out.
Since the AFA is free to cadets, everyone they bring in is effectively on scholarship, without having to use scholarships. I imagine they can only field the 85, but they can bring in hundreds if they so choose....
And yes, it is messed up.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 23rd, 2022, 3:36 pm

Air Force being allowed to bring in more players doesn't outweigh how limited they are with the kind of players they can bring in, requiring the kind of commitment they require of them. Not to mention their inability to use the transfer portal like we use it.
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post (total 2):
trevordudeapo

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » January 23rd, 2022, 6:15 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
January 23rd, 2022, 3:36 pm
Air Force being allowed to bring in more players doesn't outweigh how limited they are with the kind of players they can bring in, requiring the kind of commitment they require of them. Not to mention their inability to use the transfer portal like we use it.
I won’t have sympathy for Airforce as long as they have a douche for a coach.
These users thanked the author Slim80 for the post (total 4):
MWCFAN123rdGenAggieslcaggJSHarvey

LKGates

Post by LKGates » January 23rd, 2022, 8:38 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
Kids going to AFA know that:
They effectively have no chance to play in the NFL, because of the service time payback.
They won't be able to redshirt.
There is absolutely no slack on the academic requirements. No UNC phantom courses.
They are limited in some positions in football and basketball; no taller than 6'8", no heavier than 227 lbs (at 6'8").
They may get shot at and killed.

I absolutely respect the kids playing at the Academy. I will feel even better about having them in the conference when their current coach leaves.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post:
JSHarvey

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » January 23rd, 2022, 8:52 pm

I think they've relaxed the size requirements. They have several OL over 3 bills now. No way they all started at 227.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post:
BustaMcNutt

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

LKGates

Post by LKGates » January 23rd, 2022, 8:55 pm

GeoAg wrote:
January 23rd, 2022, 8:52 pm
I think they've relaxed the size requirements. They have several OL over 3 bills now. No way they all started at 227.
Could be. I pulled those numbers off the Academy's current online application form. Maybe athletes can get a waiver. Maybe that's just admission height and weight, and they force feed them after they enroll. :noidea:

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » January 23rd, 2022, 9:13 pm

LKGates wrote:
January 23rd, 2022, 8:38 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
Kids going to AFA know that:
They effectively have no chance to play in the NFL, because of the service time payback.
They won't be able to redshirt.
There is absolutely no slack on the academic requirements. No UNC phantom courses.
They are limited in some positions in football and basketball; no taller than 6'8", no heavier than 227 lbs (at 6'8").
They may get shot at and killed.

I absolutely respect the kids playing at the Academy. I will feel even better about having them in the conference when their current coach leaves.
Honestly I respect the kids that choose Air Force but I’d be fine not playing them every year. Too much of a risk of injury for opposing teams.

FromLItoLogan

Post by FromLItoLogan » January 23rd, 2022, 9:57 pm

LKGates wrote:
January 23rd, 2022, 8:55 pm
GeoAg wrote:
Could be. I pulled those numbers off the Academy's current online application form. Maybe athletes can get a waiver. Maybe that's just admission height and weight, and they force feed them after they enroll. :noidea:
The linemen just have to lose the weight before graduation (from what I've heard) so they go on a hard cut after senior season and then if they still can't make it bmi wise which most they won't, they'll do a body fat measurement.

GrandPoubah

Post by GrandPoubah » January 23rd, 2022, 10:00 pm

Pretty sure Trump signed something that allowed academy athletes to delay service until after professional career is over.

As for Transfer Portal, not sure how they would take people in, but they can definitely transfer out.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » January 23rd, 2022, 10:05 pm

This is a recruiting advantage for them. They recruit players with similar recruiting rankings as us and as we all know recruiting is kind of a crap shoot and who continues to develop. If you can bring in 40-50 guys rather than 25 it certainly doesn’t hurt.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » January 23rd, 2022, 11:07 pm

FromLItoLogan wrote:
January 23rd, 2022, 9:57 pm
LKGates wrote:
January 23rd, 2022, 8:55 pm
GeoAg wrote:
The linemen just have to lose the weight before graduation (from what I've heard) so they go on a hard cut after senior season and then if they still can't make it bmi wise which most they won't, they'll do a body fat measurement.
They must make allowances for athletes. They have guys up to 330. You likely aren't losing 100 pounds between football season and graduation
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post:
ViAggie

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

SeattleAg

Post by SeattleAg » January 24th, 2022, 1:41 pm

As weird as it is that universities have these semi-pro athletic programs tenuously attached to them (or practically running them, if you're OSU/Bama/etc), the service academies fielding semi-pro athletic programs is even weirder. On what ship were they planning on stashing David Robinson anyway? He'd have to crawl down the hallways.

Locked Previous topicNext topic