KAR: Josh Allen

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
jpswensen

KAR: Josh Allen

Post by jpswensen » January 24th, 2022, 11:04 am

Watching him at WYO, did anything think he was going to be this good? I didn't.

I often say the same thing about Kawhi Leonard.

I think both players were good, but not top-talent-at-the-next-level good.

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

Stucki

Re: KAR: Josh Allen

Post by Stucki » January 24th, 2022, 11:20 am

His 4th and long conversions against us were a pretty good indicator of what he could do, but as you say, not this good.

Hail the Utah Aggies!

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 24th, 2022, 11:26 am

I didn't see this type of success coming.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 24th, 2022, 11:31 am

Add Paul George to that list.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 4):
Agliciousdirtnsnow3rdGenAggiejpswensen

Eutaw St. Aggie

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 24th, 2022, 11:35 am

Buffalo certainly hit a home run with that draft pick. And then there's my Chicago Bears who can't seem to evaluate a college QB to save their lives. Their QB misses have included such names as Mitch Trubisky, Kyle Orton, Rex Grossman, Cade McKnown, and Jim Harbaugh). Here's hoping Justin Fields can break the mold. I would love to see Allen in Chicago.

Eutaw St. Aggie

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » January 24th, 2022, 11:42 am

Yossarian wrote:
January 24th, 2022, 11:31 am
This one is the biggest head scratcher for me.

Aggies All the Way!

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » January 24th, 2022, 11:43 am

It always surprises me how some teams can be consistently bad in the NFL. Of all the major sports leagues, the NFL has the most parity by far. I think it comes down to having so many players on each team. One transcendent player in basketball will very likely win you a championship. One transcendent player in football helps a ton, but the position they play makes a massive difference. A transcendent QB, DT or DE will help immensely and could make your team good, but it's definitely not enough to win a Super Bowl by themselves.

How have the Browns, Jaguars, Dolphins, Jets, Bears (and Bengals and Bills until this year) been so bad for so long?

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

BigBlueAggie

Post by BigBlueAggie » January 24th, 2022, 11:59 am

I remember the 2017 USU vs Josh Allen game at home. I was there with a good friend who is a Buffalo Bills fan. We debated the entire game about whether he was all that. (I was on the YES side and he was on the no side). I texted him again yesterday about that discussion and no I will not let it go.

I saw all the tools. Canon arm, Leadership, Running ability and thought if he was at a P5 school, he would have been the number 1 pick.

I will also say that I saw a young kid come in for Kent Myers and go 8/18 for 109 with 3 picks and thought he might have something to. (Jordan Love). Still unclear if Jordan can make it in the NFL. Seems to just need some reps. But has the size, arm and mobility needed to excel. Also not sure about the leadership type. You can get away with being quiet in College, harder to be THE QB in the room and just set a quiet example and hope people will follow. Going to have to step up if he gets the chance.

Joe Flacco is probably the last SB winning QB that wasn't a strong clubhouse leader (maybe Nick Foles too? Still can't believe the Eagles beat the patriots that year.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » January 24th, 2022, 12:06 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Funny you say that, I have actually referred to Allen as the "Paul George" of the NFL a few times when talking about him to other MWC fans. He was 16-11 at Wyoming, never won more than 8 games, and often couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from 10 yards in college. The Aggies happened to match up against him in two of our down years (2016 & 2017) as a team but I always got the feeling that if we would have played him in the years directly before that or after that we would have wiped the field with him. Honestly, there are times when I think Levi Williams reminds me of Josh Allen 2.0.

The only problem with the Paul George comparison is that George was being touted as an NBA prospect before he was ever even at Fresno St and despite never really doing anything in college he still found his way to being a lottery pick. By comparison, Allen didn't even have a D1 offer out of HS and went to a JC. Allen also didn't leave college early for the draft like so many 1st round QB's do. He played as a Senior (and did worse as a Senior than he did as a Junior) and then struggled in nearly every pre-draft event that he participated in. There were videos of him from the Senior Bowl practices showing all the QB's doing throwing drills into those pocketed nets. Allen was missing the entire net - from like 15 yards.

I really think a huge part of his success (and many NFL players) is timing, location, and coaching. The Bills had a need, there was no pressure or expectations of Allen coming in. They got to work with him immediately on his accuracy issues and then built an offense around him and his skill set. Most NFL coaches or OC's have a system or style they want to run and they expect the QB to execute it. The Bills brought in guys around him that would help him succeed and they also quietly built one of the best defenses in the league which is another thing to help a young QB. I think that franchise did it the right way. They made it comfortable for him, they gave him all the time he needed and they weren't going to yank him - there was no one else. Now he is comfortable and the team is his.

Contrast that to what Love has experienced at Green Bay. There may not be a worse situation for a rookie to be drafted into.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggiePIGSKINAGGIE

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 24th, 2022, 12:11 pm

Aglicious wrote:
January 24th, 2022, 12:06 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Funny you say that, I have actually referred to Allen as the "Paul George" of the NFL a few times when talking about him to other MWC fans. He was 16-11 at Wyoming, never won more than 8 games, and often couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from 10 yards in college. The Aggies happened to match up against him in two of our down years (2016 & 2017) as a team but I always got the feeling that if we would have played him in the years directly before that or after that we would have wiped the field with him. Honestly, there are times when I think Levi Williams reminds me of Josh Allen 2.0.

The only problem with the Paul George comparison is that George was being touted as an NBA prospect before he was ever even at Fresno St and despite never really doing anything in college he still found his way to being a lottery pick. By comparison, Allen didn't even have a D1 offer our of HS and went to a JC. Allen didn't even leave college early for the draft like so many 1st round QB's do. He played as a Senior (and did worse as a Senior than he did as a Junior) and then struggled in nearly every pre-draft event that he participated in. There were videos of him from the Senior Bowl practices showing all the QB's doing throwing drills into those pocketed nets. Allen was missing the entire net - from like 15 yards.

I really think a huge part of his success (and many NFL players) is timing, location, and coaching. The Bills had a need, there was no pressure or expectations of Allen coming in. They got to work with him immediately on his accuracy issues and then built an offense around him and his skill set. Most NFL coaches or OC's have a system or style they want to run and they expect the QB to execute it. The Bills brought in guys around him that would help him succeed and they also quietly built one of the best defenses in the league which is another thing to help a young QB. I think that franchise did it the right way. They made it comfortable for him, they gave him all the time he needed and they weren't going to yank him - there was no one else. Now he is comfortable and the team is his.

Contrast that to what Love has experienced at Green Bay. There may not be a worse situation for a rookie to be drafted into.
One thing about Allen that was talked about a lot while he was in college was the canon he had for an arm. There was never any question that he could throw the ball hard and a long way. Credit to Buffalo for harnessing that skill and making an NFL quarterback out of him. And it's his ability to run that make him elite. He is a complete player. I hope he can stay healthy and play for a while. I'm a big fan.

George seemed completely disinterested in playing in college. He was so lazy an apathetic in games. That had to have been frustrating for Fresno fans to watch. Did he play for Steve Cleveland? I can't remember.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 24th, 2022, 12:27 pm

Yossarian wrote:
January 24th, 2022, 12:11 pm
Aglicious wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

The only problem with the Paul George comparison is that George was being touted as an NBA prospect before he was ever even at Fresno St and despite never really doing anything in college he still found his way to being a lottery pick. By comparison, Allen didn't even have a D1 offer our of HS and went to a JC. Allen didn't even leave college early for the draft like so many 1st round QB's do. He played as a Senior (and did worse as a Senior than he did as a Junior) and then struggled in nearly every pre-draft event that he participated in. There were videos of him from the Senior Bowl practices showing all the QB's doing throwing drills into those pocketed nets. Allen was missing the entire net - from like 15 yards.

One thing about Allen that was talked about a lot while he was in college was the canon he had for an arm. There was never any question that he could throw the ball hard and a long way. Credit to Buffalo for harnessing that skill and making an NFL quarterback out of him. And it's his ability to run that make him elite. He is a complete player. I hope he can stay healthy and play for a while. I'm a big fan.

George seemed completely disinterested in playing in college. He was so lazy an apathetic in games. That had to have been frustrating for Fresno fans to watch. Did he play for Steve Cleveland? I can't remember.
George played for Steve Cleveland. I remember all the hype about him when they were getting ready to play the Aggies in Logan. Stew's Aggies just completely embarrassed George and Fresno to the tune of a ~30 point loss. I left thinking that George was not good at all and was surprised with how he turned out in the NBA.

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » January 24th, 2022, 1:41 pm

Aglicious wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

The only problem with the Paul George comparison is that George was being touted as an NBA prospect before he was ever even at Fresno St and despite never really doing anything in college he still found his way to being a lottery pick. By comparison, Allen didn't even have a D1 offer out of HS and went to a JC. Allen also didn't leave college early for the draft like so many 1st round QB's do. He played as a Senior (and did worse as a Senior than he did as a Junior) and then struggled in nearly every pre-draft event that he participated in. There were videos of him from the Senior Bowl practices showing all the QB's doing throwing drills into those pocketed nets. Allen was missing the entire net - from like 15 yards.

With apologies to the Green Bay fans on the board, I hope Rodgers leaves Green Bay so they can build around Love. He has the decision making and arm talent to be successful if he can get the rest of the offense to buy in.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 24th, 2022, 2:12 pm

Both Buffalo and the Chiefs will lose their ability to win the Superbowl next year. Contract extensions with huge cap hits are about to kick in for both Mahomes and Allen.
They'll be cutting a lot of good players this summer.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » January 24th, 2022, 2:19 pm

brownjeans wrote:
January 24th, 2022, 2:12 pm
Both Buffalo and the Chiefs will lose their ability to win the Superbowl next year. Contract extensions with huge cap hits are about to kick in for both Mahomes and Allen.
How much money would you like to bet that one of those two teams wins the Super Bowl once over the next three years?

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » January 24th, 2022, 2:28 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
January 24th, 2022, 1:41 pm
Aglicious wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

With apologies to the Green Bay fans on the board, I hope Rodgers leaves Green Bay so they can build around Love. He has the decision making and arm talent to be successful if he can get the rest of the offense to buy in.
Agreed. Or trade him and let him begin his career. Rodgers is a huge distraction and I think he is too integral to the environment and locker room attitude he has helped build for Love to ever step in and be successful.

I really wish the Packers would have let him go to the Colts in the first place. Love would have been paired with a premier RB, a couple WRs that they could build around, and playing indoors!
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
3rdGenAggie

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » January 24th, 2022, 2:29 pm

Aglicious wrote:
January 24th, 2022, 2:28 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

Agreed. Or trade him and let him begin his career. Rodgers is a huge distraction and I think he is too integral to the environment and locker room attitude he has helped build for Love to ever step in and be successful.

I really wish the Packers would have let him go to the Colts in the first place. Love would have been paired with a premier RB, a couple WRs that they could build around, and playing indoors!
Agreed. I was pulling for the Colts or Saints (Taysom Hill stuff aside).

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 24th, 2022, 3:12 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
January 24th, 2022, 2:19 pm
brownjeans wrote:
January 24th, 2022, 2:12 pm
How much money would you like to bet that one of those two teams wins the Super Bowl once over the next three years?
They might. It's not like it's never happened. But, to give you an idea of how rare it is, since the NFL introduced the hard cap, only five teams have won the Superbowl when one of their players has a cap hit equaling 13% or more of the team's cap.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » January 24th, 2022, 3:24 pm

Aglicious wrote:
January 24th, 2022, 2:28 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

I think its pretty much guaranteed Rodgers is gone. The Packers are way too far over the cap and will have to downgrade their roster to keep him which he already said he's not interested in a rebuild or a team that can't make a playoff run.

The Packers have a great organization and a QB friendly offense and head coach. Love would be hard pressed to be in a better situation as long as a reasonably fast and permanent decision is made with Rodgers. Other than maybe the cold weather thing...

What was disappointing about his limited reps this year was not his decision making but his accuracy. We know he can be way more precise than what he has shown and hopefully with a few games of reps getting comfortable that will go away. Josh Allen didn't have much to crow about with his throw game his first 2 years either.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
3rdGenAggie

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » January 24th, 2022, 3:32 pm

I thought Allen was brilliant the coupla times I watched him in college. His supporting cast was meh, but he was just a beautiful player with everything anybody would need on any FBS roster. He belonged going to the pros, no question.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

inconspicuous

Post by inconspicuous » January 24th, 2022, 3:49 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
January 24th, 2022, 11:43 am
It always surprises me how some teams can be consistently bad in the NFL. Of all the major sports leagues, the NFL has the most parity by far. I think it comes down to having so many players on each team. One transcendent player in basketball will very likely win you a championship. One transcendent player in football helps a ton, but the position they play makes a massive difference. A transcendent QB, DT or DE will help immensely and could make your team good, but it's definitely not enough to win a Super Bowl by themselves.

How have the Browns, Jaguars, Dolphins, Jets, Bears (and Bengals and Bills until this year) been so bad for so long?
IMO the parity is part of this. When teams make bad decisions draft, hires, free agency the effects make a big difference to the teams that are making good decisions.
Partially decisions are impacted by ownership so that can have additional compounding effects.
These users thanked the author inconspicuous for the post:
3rdGenAggie

GordoAggie

Post by GordoAggie » January 24th, 2022, 6:08 pm

I distinctly remember watching Allen warm up once in Logan. He stood in the south end zone and effortlessly threw the ball what looked like 70 yards. Looked like it was a wrist flick with even using his arm. He has a cannon for an arm. I also remember our LB’s bouncing off him run after run. I hated the Jim Kelly Thurman Thomas Andre Reed Bills but I cheer for them now!
These users thanked the author GordoAggie for the post:
USU78

seabass

Post by seabass » January 24th, 2022, 7:09 pm

I’m a draft junkie- Josh Allen is one guy that Mel Kiper got right. The big complaint about Josh Allen going into the draft was his low completion percentage. But Kiper kept saying other quarterbacks are doing those high percentage throws- like the toss forward to the guy 2 yards in front of you- just a glorified handoff that counts as a pass. And supposedly Josh Allen wasn’t doing those easy throws.
But then I laugh about the grade he gave the 2012 Seahawks draft- I’m pretty sure his grade for the Seahawks was his lowest grade he gave any team. And this was the draft that produced Russell Wilson, Bobby Wagner, and Robert Turbin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author seabass for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13JSHarvey

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 24th, 2022, 8:29 pm

Yossarian wrote:
January 24th, 2022, 11:35 am
Buffalo certainly hit a home run with that draft pick. And then there's my Chicago Bears who can't seem to evaluate a college QB to save their lives. Their QB misses have included such names as Mitch Trubisky, Kyle Orton, Rex Grossman, Cade McKnown, and Jim Harbaugh). Here's hoping Justin Fields can break the mold. I would love to see Allen in Chicago.
Oh, I have a great Jim Harbaugh story ;)

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 24th, 2022, 8:31 pm

seabass wrote:
January 24th, 2022, 7:09 pm
I’m a draft junkie- Josh Allen is one guy that Mel Kiper got right. The big complaint about Josh Allen going into the draft was his low completion percentage. But Kiper kept saying other quarterbacks are doing those high percentage throws- like the toss forward to the guy 2 yards in front of you- just a glorified handoff that counts as a pass. And supposedly Josh Allen wasn’t doing those easy throws.
But then I laugh about the grade he gave the 2012 Seahawks draft- I’m pretty sure his grade for the Seahawks was his lowest grade he gave any team. And this was the draft that produced Russell Wilson, Bobby Wagner, and Robert Turbin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Football has changed so much, especially the passing game. In the 80's, with qb's like Elway, Marino, Kelly, Kosar and Montana, a good completion % was low 60's with high 50% being acceptable, because they were throwing the ball downfield looking for chunk yards.

Now, if a qb is at 62% he's going to get benched.

SLB

Post by SLB » January 24th, 2022, 9:36 pm

I saw it. I remember watching film on the different QBs for that draft, and it was there. It was hard to see because Wyoming was not that good.

smfdaggie

Post by smfdaggie » January 24th, 2022, 10:22 pm

Sure you did SLB. :bs: You are the ultimate" I knew this would happen, I knew we would sign this guy, I knew he would be great" guy. At least after the fact that is. :crazy:
These users thanked the author smfdaggie for the post:
Intermeddler

SLB

Post by SLB » January 25th, 2022, 9:49 am

smfdaggie wrote:
January 24th, 2022, 10:22 pm
Sure you did SLB. :bs: You are the ultimate" I knew this would happen, I knew we would sign this guy, I knew he would be great" guy. At least after the fact that is. :crazy:
I was 3/4 for the early QBs on that draft.
I felt Rosen and Mayfield were not that good and not worth an early pick.
I had Darnold and Allen as worth the early picks. Darnold had talent but made all the mistakes on decision making.
Allen was one of those if you did actual film watching that you saw it. It also shown that Wyoming sucked.

Locked Previous topicNext topic