Looks like Boise State is getting axed from BYU's schedule.

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggiealum13

Looks like Boise State is getting axed from BYU's schedule.

Post by Aggiealum13 » January 25th, 2022, 4:01 pm

"One more game with them and then done...for now. They have been awesome to work with. Challenging for them as an independent. Utah and Utah State also important to their base. I have hope we can get a H/H in future but they need to figure out Big 12, etc & I completely understand— Jeramiah Dickey (@JeramiahDickey) January 25, 2022"

This looks to me that BYU will keep its schedule with USU.

NavyBlueAggie

Re: Looks like Boise State is getting axed from BYU's schedule.

Post by NavyBlueAggie » January 25th, 2022, 4:31 pm

If, and I say if, we remain on their schedule with their new conference, it would be good. Would be nice for many fans in our area, and I include Southeastern Idaho and S W Wyoming.

Consider the possibilities of the MWC and absolutely our AGGIES ascending again in national prominence and becoming a game of major significance for the team in Provo.

We have been there before, and now we have another opportunity to elevate our game. Lets open our wallets folks, and grow the pot to pay and keep our staff.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » January 25th, 2022, 4:38 pm

Honestly, I kinda wish we would stop playing them.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post (total 5):
thegreendalegelfaggies22ViAggieTrueBlueAgMac

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » January 25th, 2022, 4:49 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
January 25th, 2022, 4:38 pm
I'm to the point where I'm okay with establishing rivalries in our conference. However, I'm okay with playing BYU on occasion just not every year. I think they'd oblige to that. Once every 2-4 years works for me. It feels like every school in the state of Utah is just venturing on their own. Rivalries versus the usual suspects as we remembered it is a thing of the past, but that doesn't mean we can't grow and nurture rivalries in our own conference.
These users thanked the author Aggiealum13 for the post (total 2):
aggies22AgMac

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 25th, 2022, 5:17 pm

Aggiealum13 wrote:
January 25th, 2022, 4:49 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
I'm to the point where I'm okay with establishing rivalries in our conference. However, I'm okay with playing BYU on occasion just not every year. I think they'd oblige to that. Once every 2-4 years works for me. It feels like every school in the state of Utah is just venturing on their own. Rivalries versus the usual suspects as we remembered it is a thing of the past, but that doesn't mean we can't grow and nurture rivalries in our own conference.
This is a great take my Aggie brother.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » January 25th, 2022, 5:19 pm

I don't necessarily care if we play BYU every year, but there should always be games against them on future schedules.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » January 25th, 2022, 7:04 pm

Is playing byu home and home good for our budget though? Would a likely replacement generate as much revenue?
These users thanked the author trevordude for the post:
JSHarvey

Not sent from Tapatalk

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » January 25th, 2022, 7:11 pm

Aggiealum13 wrote:
January 25th, 2022, 4:49 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
Not sure how we grow and nurture in-conference rivalries. We just finished our 9th season in the MWC, and we play 5 of the 11 other schools every single year. IMO, the in-conference rivalries are what they are. While I'd like to see us be more competitive moving forward against BSU and Air Force, I don't think we'll be establishing a trophy with those schools anytime soon (like we have with Wyo). It's also difficult to develop football rivalries against the west division teams when you're only guaranteed to see them all 2 out of every 4 years.

Personally I think there's value in playing byu every year. It's an in-state game where the fans and programs aren't particularly fond of one another. It gives us an advantage in in-state recruiting when we beat them, and their douchey players giving it back to our student section this year makes me want as many opportunities as possible to beat up on those clowns.

Also important to consider that they give us a home-and-home because we agree to schedule with them on Fridays leading in to conference weekend. They could very easily do the same with BSU and take us off their schedule completely. I'd rather guarantee us a home and home moving forward with a Big 12 opponent than risk being forced to always play in Provo (if we opt to only play them once in a blue moon).
These users thanked the author Naked Bull Rider for the post:
JSHarvey

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » January 25th, 2022, 7:30 pm

Cry me a friggin river. The stench is big-timing the Boazybunch?

Waaaaassaahhhhhhh!!! 😢😢😢😢😢😢🤪
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
72AgGrad

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » January 26th, 2022, 7:54 am

It makes no sense to me to say that we would stop playing BYU. The crowds, regardless of the date, are large, and the game has so much history. While it may not make a difference in the conference title race, neither do games USC/Notre Dame, Florida/FSU, Georgia/Georgia Tech play.

You may say it is because you don't like them, but to me, that is all the more reason to play the game. (Provided it is a home and home, of course.)

I figured BYU would stay on the schedule when they started canceling games with other schools like Virginia etc. The telling factor will be if the Big XII does an 8 or 9 game conference schedule. If they do 8 and the MW continues at 8, I think the game will be an annual event.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 26th, 2022, 8:07 am

As long as the game with BYU continues to be a home/home I would love for it to continue. The minute BYU demands 2/1 etc. will be the day it should not continue.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » January 26th, 2022, 8:12 am

They will never give us a home and home again.

Just drop them.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
ViAggie

Formerly TulsAGGIE

slcagg

Post by slcagg » January 26th, 2022, 8:15 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
January 26th, 2022, 8:07 am
As long as the game with BYU continues to be a home/home I would love for it to continue. The minute BYU demands 2/1 etc. will be the day it should not continue.
The ONLY time we should consider a 2/1 with anyone is the model we have with oregon. Which is essentially a 1/1 and then a money game.

calaggie

Post by calaggie » January 26th, 2022, 8:25 am

slcagg wrote:
January 26th, 2022, 8:15 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
The ONLY time we should consider a 2/1 with anyone is the model we have with oregon. Which is essentially a 1/1 and then a money game.
No, it should never be 2/1 with BYU under any circumstances. Full stop.
These users thanked the author calaggie for the post (total 3):
72AgGradaggies22vegasaggie

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » January 26th, 2022, 8:26 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
January 26th, 2022, 8:12 am
They will never give us a home and home again.

Just drop them.
We shall see, I am not as pessimistic about it.
These users thanked the author NowhereLandAggie for the post:
ViAggie

Bondar4Aggies

Post by Bondar4Aggies » January 26th, 2022, 8:44 am

NowhereLandAggie wrote:It makes no sense to me to say that we would stop playing BYU. The crowds, regardless of the date, are large, and the game has so much history. While it may not make a difference in the conference title race, neither do games USC/Notre Dame, Florida/FSU, Georgia/Georgia Tech play.

You may say it is because you don't like them, but to me, that is all the more reason to play the game. (Provided it is a home and home, of course.)

I figured BYU would stay on the schedule when they started canceling games with other schools like Virginia etc. The telling factor will be if the Big XII does an 8 or 9 game conference schedule. If they do 8 and the MW continues at 8, I think the game will be an annual event.
They’ve announced it will be a 9 game Big 12 conference slate. I have my doubts it will be annual knowing that and their insistence on trying to schedule Utah every year along with presumably an FCS game. I could see it being more like 4-6 times over a decade span.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » January 26th, 2022, 8:50 am

Bondar4Aggies wrote:
January 26th, 2022, 8:44 am
NowhereLandAggie wrote:It makes no sense to me to say that we would stop playing BYU. The crowds, regardless of the date, are large, and the game has so much history. While it may not make a difference in the conference title race, neither do games USC/Notre Dame, Florida/FSU, Georgia/Georgia Tech play.

They’ve announced it will be a 9 game Big 12 conference slate. I have my doubts it will be annual knowing that and their insistence on trying to schedule Utah every year along with presumably an FCS game. I could see it being more like 4-6 times over a decade span.
I guess we shall see, but the 4 game schedule makes it much more likely.

The AD and coach that canceled the series have been gone now for 18 years. I could be wrong, but Holmoe and Sitake seem to be more committed to it.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » January 26th, 2022, 9:33 am

Bondar4Aggies wrote:

I will grant you this was before BYU accepted a Big 12, but they extended the series through 2026. So at least 5 more games will occur before any break in the series. Holmoe may be gone by then, he is 61, but it isn't something I worry about a ton.

https://byucougars.com/story/football/1 ... rough-2026

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » January 26th, 2022, 9:41 am

slcagg wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
I wouldn't do that. I would do that with a million other teams before I would do it with byu.

1:1 or nothing. I'm sure both sides will be fine with that
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 4):
slcaggAggie19aggies22Slim80

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » January 26th, 2022, 9:47 am

ybu will forget that we were willing to work with them on scheduling when they were indy's and they were scheduling late season games with Sun Belt schools and FCS schools and try to big time us, and when they do, we should tell them to take their ungrateful @$$es and GTFO our schedule for good!

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » January 26th, 2022, 9:53 am

ViAggie wrote:
January 26th, 2022, 9:47 am
ybu will forget that we were willing to work with them on scheduling when they were indy's and they were scheduling late season games with Sun Belt schools and FCS schools and try to big time us, and when they do, we should tell them to take their ungrateful @$$es and GTFO our schedule for good!
Perhaps, by the time the current contract ends, Tom Holmoe will be 67 and will have been there for 21 years. Combine that with his NFL Salary and coaching days, and he will likely be ready to retire before then.

However, he may sign an extension before then, I don't know. We have played them almost every season since he took over as AD.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » January 26th, 2022, 10:33 am

GeoAg wrote:
January 26th, 2022, 9:41 am
slcagg wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
I wouldn't do that. I would do that with a million other teams before I would do it with byu.

Amen geo!

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 26th, 2022, 11:11 am

GeoAg wrote:
slcagg wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:

Exactly if we need a money game there are 60 other teams from the P5 list that i would choose over them.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » January 26th, 2022, 11:38 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
January 26th, 2022, 11:11 am
GeoAg wrote:
slcagg wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:

Exactly if we need a money game there are 60 other teams from the P5 list that i would choose over them.
Really there are about 30ish (I actually haven’t counted, might be less) teams that can do money games with g5 schools. Utah, Washington state, Purdue’s of the world can only do money games with fcs schools. Then schedule home and homes with g5. At least historically.

Byu will fall in that same category of the smaller p5 schools.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 26th, 2022, 11:46 am

slcagg wrote:
January 26th, 2022, 11:38 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
January 26th, 2022, 11:11 am
GeoAg wrote:
slcagg wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:

Really there are about 30ish (I actually haven’t counted, might be less) teams that can do money games with g5 schools. Utah, Washington state, Purdue’s of the world can only do money games with fcs schools. Then schedule home and homes with g5. At least historically.

Byu will fall in that same category of the smaller p5 schools.
I was just referencing the number of P5 teams there are. Whether a P5 team wants to do a money game with us or not is one thing, but there are no restrictions on them doing so.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » January 26th, 2022, 12:09 pm

Bondar4Aggies wrote:

According to this article, it is likely, but not definite, that it is a 9 game schedule for the Big XII.

https://kslsports.com/477653/byu-boise- ... h-dickey/

SLB

Post by SLB » January 26th, 2022, 2:05 pm

Having the Big 12 BYU play us is good for us and respectful unlike the Utes

Utah alum that likes USU

Post by Utah alum that likes USU » January 26th, 2022, 3:43 pm

I am hearing the 'alliance' thing is likely going to mean one B1G and one ACC team each year ... plus revised 8 game PAC schedule go forward for Utah. I don't see any benefits to Utah keeping ybu on schedule in that world. Hence I might then assume 1. ybu will not risk offending USU with their historically 'gracious' 2 and 3 for 1 deals and 2. maybe just maybe - Hartwell and Harlan could start talking seriously once this breaks officially? I prefer the "battle of the brothers" to y game any day.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » January 26th, 2022, 4:01 pm

Utah alum that likes USU wrote:
January 26th, 2022, 3:43 pm
I am hearing the 'alliance' thing is likely going to mean one B1G and one ACC team each year ... plus revised 8 game PAC schedule go forward for Utah. I don't see any benefits to Utah keeping ybu on schedule in that world. Hence I might then assume 1. ybu will not risk offending USU with their historically 'gracious' 2 and 3 for 1 deals and 2. maybe just maybe - Hartwell and Harlan could start talking seriously once this breaks officially? I prefer the "battle of the brothers" to y game any day.
NEVER underestimate ybu's willingness to eeF us over! They've done it more than once! Remember "the project?"

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » January 26th, 2022, 4:30 pm

The last time the U of U tried to drop BYU (in basketball) the Governor (and the Legislature threatened to) got (get) involved. My guess is the U of U / BYU game will continue unless it is actually impossible to schedule it.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » January 26th, 2022, 4:44 pm

JSHarvey wrote:
January 26th, 2022, 4:30 pm
The last time the U of U tried to drop BYU (in basketball) the Governor (and the Legislature threatened to) got (get) involved. My guess is the U of U / BYU game will continue unless it is actually impossible to schedule it.
The Governor and the Legislature have some say as to what the U does, but none as to what BYU would like to do.

Utah alum that likes USU

Post by Utah alum that likes USU » January 26th, 2022, 4:54 pm

Sounds like there's a need for some Cache Valley politicians to make enough noise that protecting the private parochial school in Provo is no longer tenable. Seriously how do they justify ensuring a non state entity gets access over another state entity? That one just doesn't win in the court of public opinion outside Utah County ... even with the majority religion in place. At least not in a sane and reasonably reasonable audience.
These users thanked the author Utah alum that likes USU for the post:
LKGates

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » January 27th, 2022, 12:10 pm

January 26th, 2022, 4:54 pm
Sounds like there's a need for some Cache Valley politicians to make enough noise that protecting the private parochial school in Provo is no longer tenable. Seriously how do they justify ensuring a non state entity gets access over another state entity? That one just doesn't win in the court of public opinion outside Utah County ... even with the majority religion in place. At least not in a sane and reasonably reasonable audience.
The problem is that almost 60% of the state's population lives in either Salt Lake or Utah counties. I agree a sane state's Legislature wouldn't behave like Utah's Legislature does - but we've got what we've got.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » January 27th, 2022, 4:34 pm

As of right now BYU's AD is saying that the priority is keeping Utah and USU on the schedule.

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » January 27th, 2022, 9:30 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
January 27th, 2022, 4:34 pm
As of right now BYU's AD is saying that the priority is keeping Utah and USU on the schedule.
I'll believe it when the game is actually played. Until then, I'll remain skeptical.
These users thanked the author Slim80 for the post:
USU78

Locked Previous topicNext topic