Al lapuaho and Nevada recruiting

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg

Al lapuaho and Nevada recruiting

Post by slcagg » June 14th, 2022, 8:00 pm

I don’t know the details on al leaving to go to Nevada but he has already snagged two very solid poly recruits out of Utah that we have offered. There is no reason a local kid should choose Nevada over the Aggies. Both the local piece and better facilities.

https://247sports.com/college/nevada/Se ... l/Commits/

GrandPoubah

Re: Al lapuaho and Nevada recruiting

Post by GrandPoubah » June 14th, 2022, 9:00 pm

All things being the same between the schools, I agree 100% with you. However, I think choosing a team is very often choosing the coaching staff in addition to the school. Coaching philosophies are different.

Current staff at Utah State, in my humble opinion, has the philosophy if they can out recruit you, they will counsel/coach you out and replace you with little loyalty other than football. I say my humble opinion because I've seen players enter the portal and not land anywhere are players leaving despite being one term away from academic graduation, return missionaries come back to no scholly, players who had scholly, are not renewed...definitely some speculation, but I don't think its far off.

Other teams may approach things differently and have a developmental approach. They may invest in a recruit to get the maximum return from both a football and a personal/scholastic perspective.

I understand both approaches and both draw different fans and players. Ultimately, players need to do research to know what kind of situation they will excel and maximize their potential.

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » June 15th, 2022, 8:13 pm

I say this with all respect to Gary Andersen 2.0, but in his second incarnation as USU coach he recruited a lot of "volume." I think Blake Anderson got here and simply found out that many of those kid didn't have the talent-level he was expecting/hoping for, and he did recruit over the top of guys. When that happens the player has the option to get out there and either up his game and compete, or if they simply can't, they are better off going someplace where their talents may be suited. I think Tim Patrick, for example, made the correct choice to go to Southern Utah. He was not going to get on the field at USU.

There is a double edged sword when you look at the transfer portal. A lot of guys are going to "go off chasing rainbows" because their high school coach or family members tell them they should be starting at USU or playing for a P5, for example, based on their high school stats etc. So they put their name in, and find out that the "market" really doesn't exist for their skill set. Example-- Elelyon Noa. While I wish him well, he still hasn't signed with another program and with spring camp over with and summer programs underway, I would say he made a colossal misjudgement of the talent market.
These users thanked the author AggiesForever for the post:
AggieFBObsession

ususports

Post by ususports » June 15th, 2022, 8:54 pm

There is no loyalty in college sports (transfer portal), and the patience of fans also doesn’t exist in today’s world (just read this board once in awhile). If a coach can improve the team by recruiting a better player, he needs to just to keep his job. Fans won’t wait for players to develop, and there is no guarantee improved players will stay here all four years.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post:
GrandPoubah

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » June 16th, 2022, 11:07 am

AggiesForever wrote:
June 15th, 2022, 8:13 pm
I say this with all respect to Gary Andersen 2.0, but in his second incarnation as USU coach he recruited a lot of "volume." I think Blake Anderson got here and simply found out that many of those kid didn't have the talent-level he was expecting/hoping for, and he did recruit over the top of guys. When that happens the player has the option to get out there and either up his game and compete, or if they simply can't, they are better off going someplace where their talents may be suited. I think Tim Patrick, for example, made the correct choice to go to Southern Utah. He was not going to get on the field at USU.

There is a double edged sword when you look at the transfer portal. A lot of guys are going to "go off chasing rainbows" because their high school coach or family members tell them they should be starting at USU or playing for a P5, for example, based on their high school stats etc. So they put their name in, and find out that the "market" really doesn't exist for their skill set. Example-- Elelyon Noa. While I wish him well, he still hasn't signed with another program and with spring camp over with and summer programs underway, I would say he made a colossal misjudgement of the talent market.
Based on a quick search on 247sports, in 2021-22 there have been about 1,746 players that have entered the portal and 885 have committed to a new school, or about half. I don't have total confidence (nor the time to confirm) these numbers but I think the percentage is fairly accurate. I don't think the percentage this year is really all that different that prior years. Given the roughly 50/50 chance of landing elsewhere, I would not be surprised to see fewer players enter the portal going forward, especially at G5 programs when there are so many examples like Noa.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » June 16th, 2022, 11:23 am

AggiesForever wrote:

OR WORSE... their 7-7 coach!

Sorry kids, 7 on 7 is NOT real football, it's friday night lights fluff stuff. If you are a 7-7 superstar that doesn't nec. translate to a D1 FBS football star. So remember kids, when land that scholarship at a G5 school but your 7-7 coach tells you you should be playing at the P5 level instead of the G5 level, you look at him and go "thanks for the advice coach" and move along.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » June 16th, 2022, 12:18 pm

bwcrc wrote:
June 16th, 2022, 11:07 am
AggiesForever wrote:

Based on a quick search on 247sports, in 2021-22 there have been about 1,746 players that have entered the portal and 885 have committed to a new school, or about half. I don't have total confidence (nor the time to confirm) these numbers but I think the percentage is fairly accurate. I don't think the percentage this year is really all that different that prior years. Given the roughly 50/50 chance of landing elsewhere, I would not be surprised to see fewer players enter the portal going forward, especially at G5 programs when there are so many examples like Noa.
Kids have a short memory. Next year no one is going to care about the cautionary tale of Elelyon Noa because there will always be the story of the G5 kid that made it big somewhere.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
FloridaAggie13

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » June 16th, 2022, 12:58 pm

bwcrc wrote:
AggiesForever wrote:

Though a bit off-topic, I seriously wonder how this transfer portal era is going to affect future employment prospects of many student athletes who chase the portal and end up neither an athlete, nor a student.

I think that for players who have no chance of the NFL, the portal is likely immensely detrimental to them personally in the long term. I suspect most of those don't end up getting a degree, with the benefits that having a degree (which was largely obtained for free) will have on themselves and their families.
These users thanked the author jpswensen for the post:
Aggie84025

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

GrandPoubah

Post by GrandPoubah » June 16th, 2022, 4:03 pm

jpswensen wrote:
June 16th, 2022, 12:58 pm
bwcrc wrote:
AggiesForever wrote:

Though a bit off-topic, I seriously wonder how this transfer portal era is going to affect future employment prospects of many student athletes who chase the portal and end up neither an athlete, nor a student.

I think that for players who have no chance of the NFL, the portal is likely immensely detrimental to them personally in the long term. I suspect most of those don't end up getting a degree, with the benefits that having a degree (which was largely obtained for free) will have on themselves and their families.
Couldn’t agree more! For every Noa, there are 10-15 whom are being pushed out of G5 schools without a chance to land anywhere…. can’t land a scholly at the FCS level given the lack of scholarships available.

Those are the kids who need some protection right now. At least at the P5 level, the kid has a choice to leave. Not so at the G5 level.

GrandPoubah

Post by GrandPoubah » June 16th, 2022, 4:05 pm

AggiesForever wrote:

Without looking, I’m don’t believe there were more than 20 kids Gary recruited in the program that were on the roster last year.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » June 16th, 2022, 4:57 pm

GrandPoubah wrote:
June 16th, 2022, 4:05 pm
AggiesForever wrote:

Without looking, I’m don’t believe there were more than 20 kids Gary recruited in the program that were on the roster last year.
Turnover between coaching changes is always higher than most normal years. The ease of the accessibility of the transfer portal has only added to the numbers. USC had nearly 30 dudes hit the portal this offseason. Were they all counseled out too?
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » June 16th, 2022, 5:12 pm

GrandPoubah wrote:
AggiesForever wrote:

There were 27 scholarship players that Gary recruited on last seasons roster. 18 of them are still on the roster.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » June 16th, 2022, 5:54 pm

aggies22 wrote:
June 16th, 2022, 5:12 pm
GrandPoubah wrote:
AggiesForever wrote:

There were 27 scholarship players that Gary recruited on last seasons roster. 18 of them are still on the roster.
Sounds like next time he should look.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » June 16th, 2022, 6:12 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
June 16th, 2022, 5:54 pm
aggies22 wrote:
GrandPoubah wrote:
AggiesForever wrote:

To be fair, he may not have known who all of them are/were.

GrandPoubah

Post by GrandPoubah » June 16th, 2022, 7:07 pm

aggies22 wrote:
June 16th, 2022, 6:12 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
GrandPoubah wrote:
AggiesForever wrote:

Curious as to whether those included walk ons who earned scholly or those recruited by Wells and signed in 2019. I know I can go back and piece it together, but 27 over a two year period is FAR away from the stated "he recruited a lot of "volume.""

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » June 16th, 2022, 7:55 pm

GrandPoubah wrote:
June 16th, 2022, 7:07 pm
aggies22 wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
GrandPoubah wrote:
AggiesForever wrote:

Curious as to whether those included walk ons who earned scholly or those recruited by Wells and signed in 2019. I know I can go back and piece it together, but 27 over a two year period is FAR away from the stated "he recruited a lot of "volume.""
None of those guys were in the Wells/GA class that was held together by Frank and Stacy while there was no head coach in place with the exception of Coop Legas. Gary recruited him, Matt did not. Actually, I could add one more. Hunter Hill.

GrandPoubah

Post by GrandPoubah » June 16th, 2022, 8:33 pm

aggies22 wrote:
June 16th, 2022, 7:55 pm
GrandPoubah wrote:
June 16th, 2022, 7:07 pm
aggies22 wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
GrandPoubah wrote:
AggiesForever wrote:

None of those guys were in the Wells/GA class that was held together by Frank and Stacy while there was no head coach in place with the exception of Coop Legas. Gary recruited him, Matt did not. Actually, I could add one more. Hunter Hill.
I guess I'm confused. If you take the 2021 roster, remove everyone who wasn't here prior to the 2019 class, other than cooper and nick H as a transfer, then add every single new player in 2020 still with the team, I get a total of 23. Then, if you take the likes of Sam Hogan, who I assume is a walk on, Joey Rouly, assuming again....that's 21. Not 100% sure who is/isn't a walk-on of course. Maybe I'm miscounting.....

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » June 17th, 2022, 4:34 pm

slcagg wrote:
June 14th, 2022, 8:00 pm
I don’t know the details on al leaving to go to Nevada but he has already snagged two very solid poly recruits out of Utah that we have offered. There is no reason a local kid should choose Nevada over the Aggies. Both the local piece and better facilities.

https://247sports.com/college/nevada/Se ... l/Commits/
These kids are both 'offense' guys..The Pack has other Poly coaches. Vai Taua is the assistant head coach..My guess is he recruited them. Lapuaho probably had no role in this recruiting..

In his interview when he got hired at Nevada he said he wanted to see how other programs did things to further his career overall. He was totally respectful of his time in Logan and the prgram..Nothing nefarious going on..
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Locked Previous topicNext topic