Kane = No go

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
DeltaSigAggie
Has thanked: 0

Kane = No go

Post by DeltaSigAggie » November 15th, 2010, 1:36 pm

As per Tony's twitter:

Kane Wilson will not be returning to Utah State - http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/ususports

Sad to see him not come back. I wonder if Chuckie's verbal had more to play than is portrayed in the article :noidea:

GeoAg

Re: Kane = No go

Post by GeoAg » November 15th, 2010, 2:35 pm

I wish Kane luck. I would have welcomed him back, but I applaud the coaching staff in this decision.

"I don't think you become resilient right in the middle of the season when adversity hits. You learn how to face adversity in the offseason in football. That's when we win games around Utah State." -Coach Matt Wells #ArmsAround

aggie16
Been thanked: 0

Post by aggie16 » November 15th, 2010, 3:17 pm

Great decision not to bring Wilson back. Give Keeton until the 3rd game of the season to absorb the playbook, and the aggies will be alright. The kid has already passed for more than 2,000 yards and rushed for more than 800 yards in hpyer-compettitive Texas 5A football this season. Patience.

Lightbringer

Post by Lightbringer » November 15th, 2010, 5:56 pm

Says were still looking for a QB with some experience though. It'll be interesting to see how the QB battle plays out with 4 or so QB's who have very little to no experience as far as USU game time.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » November 15th, 2010, 8:59 pm

I'm glad KW isn't coming. Honestly I'd rather get chuckie in there right away, He has quite the supporting group next year to help him gain confidence Turbin, Smith, Morrison, Austin, Bartlett, Watkins, Martin, Vanlewen, Marshal... I think that Chuckie would be just fine as long as he can hand it off to turbin.

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » November 15th, 2010, 10:06 pm

Keep in ind that all we have seen of Chuckie so far is a two minute highlight reel. While he looks like he has all of the tools to fit our offense, please remember that they call it a highlight reel for a reason. I'm sure that there is much more footage that would make you cringe. I am hoping that GA will find A JC QB that can make an immediate impact. I don't have much confidence that any of our current QBs will be even close to adequate,

bigbluebaby

Post by bigbluebaby » November 16th, 2010, 8:46 am

Agree with you JackMormon that we(this board) dont know enough.. Not saying he is a gaurantee no recruit is... But he did have quite a few schools after him including a verbal to Air Force.. When the coaching staff says he is our #1 land I believe they have seen more and that they feel like they do have more than just the highlight real..Alot of optimism from a lot of sources about him..

Baby Out...

"So your saying I got a chance ??!!"

kofdog

Post by kofdog » November 16th, 2010, 4:46 pm

Where does Manning fit into all this? With Chuckie coming (if he is as good as adverstied) would Jeff not play til he's a Junior or so?

BigPermAg

Post by BigPermAg » November 16th, 2010, 6:20 pm

Good ????? and a great problem to have.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 16th, 2010, 6:22 pm

I don't have any problem with some competition. I think it makes players better. Those players that leave because they don't want to compete for a job probably shouldn't be playing football.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » November 16th, 2010, 7:17 pm

For anyone to think a true Freshman can do the job, just look to BYU this year. Jake Heaps was the number 1 ranked High School QB from the ranks last year, and see what he is doing for the Cougars. No way folks that Chuckie is the answer next fall. The level of Aggie QB talent grows and grows. The ideal situation is to have a QB start for two years with a solid back up and an understudy two years behind the starter. Yes, there are exceptions, especially if the balance of the team is solid (Utah in 2009), but the word 'exception' is pivotal. This QB position is a work in process at Utah State, and Freshmen just don't get the call unless that's all we have.

aggie16

Post by aggie16 » November 16th, 2010, 8:33 pm

jackmormon wrote:Keep in ind that all we have seen of Chuckie so far is a two minute highlight reel. While he looks like he has all of the tools to fit our offense, please remember that they call it a highlight reel for a reason. I'm sure that there is much more footage that would make you cringe. I am hoping that GA will find A JC QB that can make an immediate impact. I don't have much confidence that any of our current QBs will be even close to adequate,
Here is a link on the Houston Chronicle to Keeton's 2010 stats. There is also a link to his HS Booster club that has clips from every game. Everyone has been looking at his junior clips when he was 16 years old. This definitely does not make me cringe.

http://www.chron.com/sports/highschools ... ID=72&mkt=

http://www.cycreekabc.com/football/index.html\

Aggieblooz

Post by Aggieblooz » November 17th, 2010, 9:37 pm

The school can do what is best for them. But I think the claims of lack of leadership on Wilson is a bunch of crap. His record on the field just doesn't back that up! We know in recuiting he went to back to back CIF games, winning a CIF title as a Jr.

Well a little googling says Kane is playing at Cerritos JC in the LA area. The team only lost 1 game and has won the division title and will play in the playoffs on Saturday. The kid has now won at every level. Immaturity? Mistakes with pot? Clearly. Leadership? Sorry don't see it. If you watch the all-star game on espn last year, the kid had command in the huddle and was the only QB moving the ball until he got hurt.

He threw two long passes out of the game last week. He threw for 285 yards. Not bad for a running team (402 rushing plays, 259 passing during the season.) he's thrown 15 TD and 7 picks with 139 passing rating.
http://www.cerritos.edu/hpea/athletics/ ... _13_10.asp

The game on Saturday is being streamed
http://www.cerritos.edu/hpea/athletics/ ... _17_10.asp

Anyway. It is what it is. But I see a proven winner in tough football area.

BigPermAg

Post by BigPermAg » November 17th, 2010, 9:59 pm

He was asked to step up while here and lead the team that would be "his". Gift wrapped and hand delivered. I heard rumblings that it wasn't just classroom or pot, but that he was also being a flake with teammates. We heard that Anderson was thinking of bringing him back and now they say no. What does that mean? Anderson obviously went to the core leaders of the team and asked for their input. We know the answer and it is what it is. Hope he does well with his success being a leader at Cerritos.

cowcollege

Post by cowcollege » November 17th, 2010, 10:24 pm

Is it at all possible that Kane politely declined interest in being re-recruited by USU and Tony's source spun it in such a way that it sounds like it was Coach's decision to not pursue him? From the stats he is putting up, I assume that he has a few schools interested in him, and if I were a 20 year old college student I wouldn't be quick to re-enroll at a place that showed me the door once before. Whatever the circumstances were - and I'm sure if half of what has been deduced is true about his activities while in Logan, the coaching staff had grounds to dismiss him - getting booted from a team can do something to one's pride that could make going back a very far-fetched option.

After seeing how Gary handled last year's recruiting class, it is obvious that he prefers to make a preemptive decision. If a kid is wishy-washy or seems disinterested, Gary seems smart enough to get ahead of the news before it's announced that he couldn't land the big fish.

All speculation of course - and in the end, the results are the same :noidea:

Aggieblooz

Post by Aggieblooz » November 20th, 2010, 8:04 pm

Yes...I'm torturing myself.

Kane just threw a 40 yard pass for a TD......They are up (by my count as there is no sound) 28 - 7 in the 2nd quarter. He's awesome, throwing crisp passes all over the field. :bangwall:

Aggieblooz

Post by Aggieblooz » November 20th, 2010, 9:03 pm

70 yard TD pass.(50 yards in the air)...35 to 7.

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » November 20th, 2010, 10:19 pm

From what I understand, Kane did not like living in Logan and wasn't crazy about returning. We sure could use him next year.

Aggieblooz

Post by Aggieblooz » November 20th, 2010, 10:30 pm

jackmormon wrote:From what I understand, Kane did not like living in Logan and wasn't crazy about returning. We sure could use him next year.
I don't know about that. I'm just not convinced of this whole "leadership" thing...I don't buy it.

They won the game...the announcer said they were going to the Title game next week.....Kane was the MVP. He's now won MVP in HS, a title in HS and has now won MVP at JC level and will go for a title at that level.

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » November 20th, 2010, 11:52 pm

I don't think Wilson's leadership abilities in general are in question. I think what Coach has said is that he's not going to be able to lead the team here.

All other abilities aside, he does not appear to have the respect of the Aggie upperclassmen and would not be good for team chemistry at this point. It's a tough call because he's obviously talented and successful with the right crowd. But he lost a lot of respect with his behavior here last year and the staff must feel like it's not worth putting the effort into overcoming that.

I'm confident they'll find someone else that will work just fine. Hopefully he'll come with a nice rangy O-line that'll give him the time of day to run through his progressions.

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » November 20th, 2010, 11:56 pm

Or Wilson wasn't interested. :noidea:

Aggieblooz

Post by Aggieblooz » November 21st, 2010, 11:15 am

BearLakeMonster wrote:I don't think Wilson's leadership abilities in general are in question.
Just wasn't how I read it.

Here's the recap of the play off game.

http://www.presstelegram.com/moresports/ci_16671332

Locked Previous topicNext topic