Did Cooper show enough?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
FloridaAggie13

Re: Did Cooper show enough?

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 3rd, 2022, 1:46 pm

El Sapo wrote:
October 3rd, 2022, 12:42 pm
cval wrote:
September 29th, 2022, 10:51 pm
The team performance tonight would have been a win against Weber and UNLV.
Exactly what I saw. Legas needed to come in both those games. It was beyond obvious that the team needed a spark/change at QB. If (Tucker? BA says it's his call LOL) would have called for Legas before halftime, we win both those games, AND we'd still have a healthy Bonner.
Only if Tucker modified the offense to fit Legas' strengths. If they rolled out Legas at halftime of the UNLV game but with the same approach as with Bonner, I think the result is still the same.

In time, I think Legas will be both a great passer and runner; he can be dynamite by the end of the season.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » October 3rd, 2022, 2:31 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
October 3rd, 2022, 1:46 pm
El Sapo wrote:
cval wrote:
Exactly what I saw. Legas needed to come in both those games. It was beyond obvious that the team needed a spark/change at QB. If (Tucker? BA says it's his call LOL) would have called for Legas before halftime, we win both those games, AND we'd still have a healthy Bonner.
Only if Tucker modified the offense to fit Legas' strengths. If they rolled out Legas at halftime of the UNLV game but with the same approach as with Bonner, I think the result is still the same.

In time, I think Legas will be both a great passer and runner; he can be dynamite by the end of the season.
Legas 52 yards rushing v BYU
Bonner 17 yards rushing in 4 previous games.

Maybe an extra 1st down, maybe avoid a sack. Even with the same offense, Legas has mobility that Bonner doesn't.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 3rd, 2022, 2:40 pm

El Sapo wrote:
October 3rd, 2022, 2:31 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
October 3rd, 2022, 1:46 pm
El Sapo wrote:
cval wrote:

Legas 52 yards rushing v BYU
Bonner 17 yards rushing in 4 previous games.

Maybe an extra 1st down, maybe avoid a sack. Even with the same offense, Legas has mobility that Bonner doesn't.
Yes, but they (the coaching staff) obviously weren't comfortable with the thought of Legas throwing the ball 30 times. Hence, they simplified the offense and ran power running plays with Legas following lead blocks of the TE and RB.

I'm not knocking Legas. He's a different QB than Bonner and the offense needs to be designed for his skill set, not Bonner's.

RogerAndersen

Post by RogerAndersen » October 3rd, 2022, 3:52 pm

I'm ok with the coaches letting out the "rope" a bit at a time for Cooper so as to not to overwhelm him all at once..

However, let's keep in mind that for a number of years, the facts are that we have had a passing oriented offense and passing oriented offensive scheme in place.

If we don't have the horses to operate an effective passing oriented scheme, then we better be steadfastly recruiting them or developing them PDQ.

Otherwise, the reality is that this coaching staff will struggle and may not be here for the long haul anyway.

And I would like nothing more than for BA to be able to finish his coaching career here.

He seems like a really good guy that can bring some really great things to our program and to the young men in our program.

I would be pretty happy to have him representing Utah State Football for a good long while.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » October 3rd, 2022, 4:04 pm

RogerAndersen wrote:
October 3rd, 2022, 3:52 pm
I'm ok with the coaches letting out the "rope" a bit at a time for Cooper so as to not to overwhelm him all at once..

However, let's keep in mind that for a number of years, the facts are that we have had a passing oriented offense and passing oriented offensive scheme in place.

If we don't have the horses to operate an effective passing oriented scheme, then we better be steadfastly recruiting them or developing them PDQ.

Otherwise, the reality is that this coaching staff will struggle and may not be here for the long haul anyway.

And I would like nothing more than for BA to be able to finish his coaching career here.

He seems like a really good guy that can bring some really great things to our program and to the young men in our program.

I would be pretty happy to have him representing Utah State Football for a good long while.
I agree. Last season happened. We won a championship. But we're seeing a different BA than last season and this one seems surprisingly thin skinned. He deserves some patience.

Locked Previous topicNext topic