The Laub Center is getting new turf

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GameFAQSAggie

The Laub Center is getting new turf

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 7th, 2011, 9:33 pm

We are getting new turf in the Stan Laub Indoor Practice Center.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Re: The Laub Center is getting new turf

Post by USU78 » January 7th, 2011, 9:38 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:We are getting new turf in the Stan Laub Indoor Practice Center.
Wait a minute . . . don't they kick footballs . . . and soccerballs . . . in the SLIPC?

USU "Chuggin' away" 78

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » January 7th, 2011, 9:49 pm

That's a real kick in the junk!

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

sneed

Post by sneed » January 7th, 2011, 10:13 pm

what color is it?

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » January 7th, 2011, 10:58 pm

sneed wrote:what color is it?
Well, I heard that we just picked up Boise's turf after they got it replaced...

jdubb12
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by jdubb12 » January 10th, 2011, 12:55 pm

ag4fr wrote:That is great news to hear that we are doing some things to take the Indoor FB Practice facility to a higher level.

I wish we would do something more with the "Not Riley" Nelson Fieldhouse. The only thing worse in that place than the basketball courts are those tennis courts.

What about converting this to a nice multi-use facility for all non-revenue indoor sports.

If the building could be reconfigured with a main center court running North-South in the middle and 2 other courts running East-West on the ends, it would make a great game venue. It would need some telescoping type bleachers that would roll in from both sides and some portable bleachers for the end lines, but with a few hundred thousand dollars of upgrades, it could be made into a very nice facility for WBB, VB, Gymnastics, Indoor track, etc.

My only real complaint against SB and SA right now is that I would like to see more leadership in terms of vision for our facilities and capital plans.
This has been talked about many times at the highest levels of USU. From what I know, it hinges on whether or not a new student Rec center is built. If the rec center happens, the idea is to convert the fieldhouse into a facility for Women's Bball and Volleyball. I think it would be great to host the women's games in this facility to allow for a better atmosphere than an empty Spectrum provides.

FatAg

Post by FatAg » January 11th, 2011, 11:18 am

I heard a rumor about 5 years ago that a new student rec center (similar to the HYPER building) would be built within 5 years. Obviously that didn't happen. From what I heard, the new HYPER was supposed to be a combination of the fieldhouse and current HYPER, housing all of the PE classrooms and labs, as well as courts, a pool, weightroom, locker rooms etc. Is there any sort of timeline on the new facility being built? Or did any timeline go out the window with the economy?

jdubb12
Been thanked: 0

Post by jdubb12 » January 11th, 2011, 11:54 am

FatAg wrote:I heard a rumor about 5 years ago that a new student rec center (similar to the HYPER building) would be built within 5 years. Obviously that didn't happen. From what I heard, the new HYPER was supposed to be a combination of the fieldhouse and current HYPER, housing all of the PE classrooms and labs, as well as courts, a pool, weightroom, locker rooms etc. Is there any sort of timeline on the new facility being built? Or did any timeline go out the window with the economy?
The students voted for a new rec center around 2002 or so but the Board of Trustees shot it down. A new plan has been put in place to build a rec center and the Trustees have already given approval this time around. I believe the students will be voting on it this semester.

There are two plans that have been discussed concerning the placement of the rec center. One is to build it on the HPER field, which is the preferred spot of the Campus Rec department. The other is to tear down the Agricultural Science building once the new Ag building is finished, and build a brand new building that would serve as the rec center as well as a new student center. If the second option happens the Taggart Student Center would be taken over by Conference Services.

The advantage of the second option, from what I've been told, is that the current student fee for the Taggart Student Center can simply be converted into the student fee for the new building. So students wouldn't have to pay a brand new fee in order to build the building. To replace the TSC fee, Conference Services will be able to rent out the TSC more frequently to outside entities.

So assuming the rec center passes student vote and all goes well, I think we will then hear some possible changes with the Fieldhouse that will benefit the Athletic Program.

Locked Previous topicNext topic