At what point does Stew tell Pane

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggiesdotcom

At what point does Stew tell Pane

Post by aggiesdotcom » February 3rd, 2011, 12:17 pm

to stop shooting 3's? He's 14-61 on the year, 23%. In league (last 10 games) he is 5-29, 17%...including 0 for his last 12 dating back to Jan. 15. Pane's perimeter game is passing. He is shooting 51.1% from 2 point land. His ability to get to the rim is better than any PG we've had in a long time. That is what his game should revolve around. No more 3's. Last night his missed 3's were offense killers. Bendall doesn't shoot 3's because it's primarily out of his range. The same should apply to Pane.

treesap32

Re: At what point does Stew tell Pane

Post by treesap32 » February 3rd, 2011, 12:19 pm

aggiesdotcom wrote:to stop shooting 3's? He's 14-61 on the year, 23%. In league (last 10 games) he is 5-29, 17%...including 0 for his last 12 dating back to Jan. 15. Pane's perimeter game is passing. He is shooting 51.1% from 2 point land. His ability to get to the rim is better than any PG we've had in a long time. That is what his game should revolve around. No more 3's. Last night his missed 3's were offense killers. Bendall doesn't shoot 3's because it's primarily out of his range. The same should apply to Pane.
He must be making them at a pretty good clip in practice to get the "green light". :noidea:

newtonianblue

Post by newtonianblue » February 3rd, 2011, 12:23 pm

I think Stew already did. There were quite a few times when Pane had an open look and you could almost read his mind as he looked at the basket...and then he didn't take the shot. Or if Stew didn't tell him, then Brockeith figured it out on his own. Yes, he took some last night (and each time I cringed), but he passed up a LOT of open 3 looks. But man, can he drive inside!

BiocatAg

Post by BiocatAg » February 3rd, 2011, 12:25 pm

Whenever he's tempted to shoot a 3, I'd like to see him drive and kick it out to an open Green, Newbold, or Pooh. Or pass it off to an open Wesely, Jardine, or Bendall when their defender comes off to stop Pane's drive. Or just take it all the way to the hole. Just no more bricking the 3's. There's a reason that the defenders are playing a couple of feet off of him when he's behind the arc. Of course, I'm not a coach, so maybe there's something that I'm not seeing.

JasonJensen
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by JasonJensen » February 3rd, 2011, 12:29 pm

They weren't falling for anyone last night but luckily it didn't matter.

Pooh 2-7
Newbold 1-6

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 3rd, 2011, 12:31 pm

I noticed in the second half that Pane stopped shooting the 3 and was either looking to drive or dish it off. I think he's learned. However, it's in the best interest of the team that he find his stroke from three at some point before the conference tourney and before the NCAAs. Like sap said, he obviously had a green light up until last night, so he must make enough in practice to get that. I remember not too long ago Tyler couldn't hit a three either, and Green struggled both this year and last year for a spell. Again, he doesn't need to take that shot every time, but it would make our team better for him to find his shot again. He needs to take 2-3 during a game to get that confidence back.

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » February 3rd, 2011, 12:44 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:I noticed in the second half that Pane stopped shooting the 3 and was either looking to drive or dish it off. I think he's learned. However, it's in the best interest of the team that he find his stroke from three at some point before the conference tourney and before the NCAAs. Like sap said, he obviously had a green light up until last night, so he must make enough in practice to get that. I remember not too long ago Tyler couldn't hit a three either, and Green struggled both this year and last year for a spell. Again, he doesn't need to take that shot every time, but it would make our team better for him to find his shot again. He needs to take 2-3 during a game to get that confidence back.
I agree with you that he needs confidence and he could possibly need to hit a big one at some point, but my point is that perhaps that's just not his forte. When Newbold was criticized it was during a 4 or 5 game slump and I thought he was being treated harshly, but Pane's slump is entering its 24th game this weekend. This isn't a Walker like slump where minutes are sporadic and shots are off because you haven't adjusted to the game speed...Pane is in there more than anyone else so he should have a feel for the game and know that to drive and shoot/dish is his most effective weapon. He's being left open for a reason but if he can't resist the temptation to shoot at least take it in to 18 feet. I'd be more confident in that shot.

providencealum

Post by providencealum » February 3rd, 2011, 12:55 pm

aggiesdotcom wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:I noticed in the second half that Pane stopped shooting the 3 and was either looking to drive or dish it off. I think he's learned. However, it's in the best interest of the team that he find his stroke from three at some point before the conference tourney and before the NCAAs. Like sap said, he obviously had a green light up until last night, so he must make enough in practice to get that. I remember not too long ago Tyler couldn't hit a three either, and Green struggled both this year and last year for a spell. Again, he doesn't need to take that shot every time, but it would make our team better for him to find his shot again. He needs to take 2-3 during a game to get that confidence back.
I agree with you that he needs confidence and he could possibly need to hit a big one at some point, but my point is that perhaps that's just not his forte. When Newbold was criticized it was during a 4 or 5 game slump and I thought he was being treated harshly, but Pane's slump is entering its 24th game this weekend. This isn't a Walker like slump where minutes are sporadic and shots are off because you haven't adjusted to the game speed...Pane is in there more than anyone else so he should have a feel for the game and know that to drive and shoot/dish is his most effective weapon. He's being left open for a reason but if he can't resist the temptation to shoot at least take it in to 18 feet. I'd be more confident in that shot.
I have no problem with him firing away 4-5 3's a game. You have to keep the other team honest. Sooner or later he will hit some 3's which will make him that much harder to defend. If he is taking 7-8 a game with no makes then somthing needs to be done to stop the shooting.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » February 3rd, 2011, 1:00 pm

I am OK with him taking a couple per game. I just wish he would hit a few.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

freakboy

Post by freakboy » February 3rd, 2011, 1:12 pm

He's better than Green in practice

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » February 3rd, 2011, 1:29 pm

freakboy wrote:He's better than Green in practice
I can't resist....

[youtube][/youtube]

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » February 3rd, 2011, 1:31 pm

Its weird how he cant get one to fall. His shot looks just fine, and his misses aren't off by much.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 3rd, 2011, 1:39 pm

Like what was mentioned, nobody shot great from three. I imagine our perimeter guys are still playing with tired legs.

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » February 3rd, 2011, 6:33 pm

I'm pretty sure that Cardell Butler missed something like 26 3s in a row in his junior year. He didn't find his shot until late February. Once he found it, it stayed with him. I'm guessing that Stew handled both situations correctly.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 3rd, 2011, 7:24 pm

Curtis Bobb took a while to find his too I remember. Halfway through his junior year it was like, "hey, who's this guy?"

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 3rd, 2011, 8:05 pm

Brian Green as well

Locked Previous topicNext topic