WTH has happened to WAC basketball?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
akborder
Posts: 409
Joined: November 6th, 2010, 1:06 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Re: WTH has happened to WAC basketball?

Post by akborder » March 8th, 2011, 8:33 am

let's get rid of half the garbage to the MWC, and then get the other programs performing better, we'll be fine.

So long FS, BJC, HI(big west), and NV



User avatar
BigBlueDart
2017 FB Predict The Score Champion
Posts: 7890
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 7:57 am
Location: Syracuse, UT
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 185 times

Re: WTH has happened to WAC basketball?

Post by BigBlueDart » March 8th, 2011, 9:01 am

There is only one team over 200. In past years it seems like we have had two or three teams over 200, and somtimes someone over 300. So, while we have lost the extra team or two that usually get under 120 with us, the league has a lot of parity this year.

That being said, the conference is heading in a downwards spiral pretty soon. I would love to see us win the NCAA's have the mad celebration afterwards with with media fighting and clawing to get a question in, on finally shouts "Coach Morrill, you just won the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship! What are you going to do now?" And then Stew would say "I'm going to the Mountain West!" And it would be awesome and stuff.



User avatar
BigVBAg
Posts: 744
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 5:16 pm
Location: Springville, UT
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 0

Re: WTH has happened to WAC basketball?

Post by BigVBAg » March 8th, 2011, 9:36 am

BigBlueDart wrote:There is only one team over 200. In past years it seems like we have had two or three teams over 200, and somtimes someone over 300. So, while we have lost the extra team or two that usually get under 120 with us, the league has a lot of parity this year.
Here is some historical RPI data for the WAC from the past 5 years.
2011 RPI Comparison-WAC.pdf
Historical WAC RPI Ranking
(27.78 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
It shows that, indeed, we historically have at least 2 teams who's RPI ranked 200 or worse. It also shows that our traditionally strongest teams (outside of USU) are having their worst years in the past 5. In Nevada's case, their RPI is over 100 places worse than their previous worst.



User avatar
GUS
Posts: 2437
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:04 am
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 43 times

Re: WTH has happened to WAC basketball?

Post by GUS » March 8th, 2011, 9:47 am

ag4fr wrote:The Aggies are having a great year, but look at the rest of this league.

Every coach in the league but Stew, Verlin, and Leon Rice should be sacked and replaced.


RPI as of 3/8/11
USU = 18
BSU = 121. That is pathetic and sad that the 2nd place team is not even in the top 120.
UI = 128. Not great, but they are becoming more competitive.
NMSU = 139. Red Aggies getting worse every year. Menzies needs to go.
Hawaii = 147. This used to be a pretty competitive program. What has happened?
SJSU = 184. Not a surprise, I guess, but 184?
Nevada = 190. This once-proud program stinks on ice now. They had some good coaches in the past and the current staff is just not getting it done.
FSU = 196. I like Steve Cleveland, but with teams built around NBA talent, they are doing absolutely nothing.
LT = 252. I can understand a team having a horrible half and scoring 15 points. I can't understand them doing it twice. Time for Rupp to go.
I think you have to give Arnold another year, that program was in compete shambles when he took it over last year. He was really scrambling to find players after he was hired. He has gone from bottom of the WAC to middle in one season.



oldmainaggie
Posts: 47
Joined: November 22nd, 2010, 7:31 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: WTH has happened to WAC basketball?

Post by oldmainaggie » March 8th, 2011, 10:17 am

One season is not indicative of every season. The pendulum swings back and forth. No one will argue that the WAC has been down this season, but we have no control over that. It is what it is! What we DO have control over is our own destiny. We need to dominate the WAC in every major sport so that we are in a position to improve our conference affiliation when opportunity comes knocking. I am still confident that the musical chairs game of conference realignment is not over yet. Opportunity will come knocking if we just take care of business.



StanfordAggie
Posts: 1522
Joined: November 15th, 2010, 6:36 pm
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 8 times

Re: WTH has happened to WAC basketball?

Post by StanfordAggie » March 8th, 2011, 1:22 pm

I also wonder how much of the WAC's poor RPI is attributable to the fact that everyone in the conference had to play USU twice. We single-handedly reduced the SOS for everyone in the conference by adding two losses to the record of everyone in the conference (except Idaho). My guess is that we would have had at least 1-2 other teams in the top 100 of the RPI if USU hadn't dominated the conference so thoroughly. (That's just a guess, though; I'm too lazy to look at freakboy's actual numbers. :) )



coachallison
Posts: 123
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:23 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: WTH has happened to WAC basketball?

Post by coachallison » March 8th, 2011, 2:42 pm

ag4fr wrote:The Aggies are having a great year, but look at the rest of this league.

Every coach in the league but Stew, Verlin, and Leon Rice should be sacked and replaced.


RPI as of 3/8/11
USU = 18
BSU = 121. That is pathetic and sad that the 2nd place team is not even in the top 120.
UI = 128. Not great, but they are becoming more competitive.
NMSU = 139. Red Aggies getting worse every year. Menzies needs to go.
Hawaii = 147. This used to be a pretty competitive program. What has happened?
SJSU = 184. Not a surprise, I guess, but 184?
Nevada = 190. This once-proud program stinks on ice now. They had some good coaches in the past and the current staff is just not getting it done.
FSU = 196. I like Steve Cleveland, but with teams built around NBA talent, they are doing absolutely nothing.
LT = 252. I can understand a team having a horrible half and scoring 15 points. I can't understand them doing it twice. Time for Rupp to go.
Are you serious? NMSU getting worst every year? Didn't NMSU go to the NCAA Tourney last year and almost pulled a first round upset? NMSU is going to be very good next season. Menzies is a good coach.



QuackAttackAggie
2015 & 2017 Weekly Pick'em Champion
Posts: 15375
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:08 pm
Location: 서울
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 257 times

Re: WTH has happened to WAC basketball?

Post by QuackAttackAggie » March 8th, 2011, 2:50 pm

coachallison wrote:
ag4fr wrote:The Aggies are having a great year, but look at the rest of this league.

Every coach in the league but Stew, Verlin, and Leon Rice should be sacked and replaced.


RPI as of 3/8/11
USU = 18
BSU = 121. That is pathetic and sad that the 2nd place team is not even in the top 120.
UI = 128. Not great, but they are becoming more competitive.
NMSU = 139. Red Aggies getting worse every year. Menzies needs to go.
Hawaii = 147. This used to be a pretty competitive program. What has happened?
SJSU = 184. Not a surprise, I guess, but 184?
Nevada = 190. This once-proud program stinks on ice now. They had some good coaches in the past and the current staff is just not getting it done.
FSU = 196. I like Steve Cleveland, but with teams built around NBA talent, they are doing absolutely nothing.
LT = 252. I can understand a team having a horrible half and scoring 15 points. I can't understand them doing it twice. Time for Rupp to go.
Are you serious? NMSU getting worst every year? Didn't NMSU go to the NCAA Tourney last year and almost pulled a first round upset? NMSU is going to be very good next season. Menzies is a good coach.


I think that is part of their reasoning, frank. they almost beat msu. they returned a lot of talent. menzies didn't do anything with it. people got injured, and the team still underperformed with the talent it had left. i do not think menzies is a good coach. he isn't the worst in the wac, that's for sure, but he still isn't "good" in my opinion. New Mexico State went from being in the discussion of winning the WAC outright under theus to coming within 10 minutes of being the six seed in the wac tournament. i think nmsu wasted a lot of good talent this year. so did nevada, but they are young. fsu wastes talent every single year. so does la tech.



coachallison
Posts: 123
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:23 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: WTH has happened to WAC basketball?

Post by coachallison » March 8th, 2011, 6:40 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
coachallison wrote:
ag4fr wrote:The Aggies are having a great year, but look at the rest of this league.

Every coach in the league but Stew, Verlin, and Leon Rice should be sacked and replaced.


RPI as of 3/8/11
USU = 18
BSU = 121. That is pathetic and sad that the 2nd place team is not even in the top 120.
UI = 128. Not great, but they are becoming more competitive.
NMSU = 139. Red Aggies getting worse every year. Menzies needs to go.
Hawaii = 147. This used to be a pretty competitive program. What has happened?
SJSU = 184. Not a surprise, I guess, but 184?
Nevada = 190. This once-proud program stinks on ice now. They had some good coaches in the past and the current staff is just not getting it done.
FSU = 196. I like Steve Cleveland, but with teams built around NBA talent, they are doing absolutely nothing.
LT = 252. I can understand a team having a horrible half and scoring 15 points. I can't understand them doing it twice. Time for Rupp to go.
Are you serious? NMSU getting worst every year? Didn't NMSU go to the NCAA Tourney last year and almost pulled a first round upset? NMSU is going to be very good next season. Menzies is a good coach.


I think that is part of their reasoning, frank. they almost beat msu. they returned a lot of talent. menzies didn't do anything with it. people got injured, and the team still underperformed with the talent it had left. i do not think menzies is a good coach. he isn't the worst in the wac, that's for sure, but he still isn't "good" in my opinion. New Mexico State went from being in the discussion of winning the WAC outright under theus to coming within 10 minutes of being the six seed in the wac tournament. i think nmsu wasted a lot of good talent this year. so did nevada, but they are young. fsu wastes talent every single year. so does la tech.

NMSU was rebuidling this season. NMSU had to repace 3 All-WAC performers last season with a bunch of sophomores and freshman. NMSU is fine. We didn't waste any talent. We were down this season but we will be up next season. NMSU is going to be very good. Wendell McKines and Remi Barry will be joining Laroche, Gillenwater, and Nephawe as starters. NMSU will have atleast 4 players coming off the bench next season who started more than 12 games this season. NMSU is going to be loaded next season. Plus, we still have a shot at winning in Vegas with our very young team.



User avatar
UtahStizzle
Posts: 4915
Joined: November 15th, 2010, 4:16 am
Location: Northern Utah
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 1 time

Re: WTH has happened to WAC basketball?

Post by UtahStizzle » March 8th, 2011, 6:50 pm

I think NMSU will be fine. I see them along with USU at the top of the new WAC for a while.


Twitter: UtahStizzle

User avatar
GUS
Posts: 2437
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:04 am
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 43 times

Re: WTH has happened to WAC basketball?

Post by GUS » March 8th, 2011, 7:04 pm

I think it's too early to tell which nmsu players will be there. Some may not have grades or may have legal problems. The only thing I have seen with nmsu is to not count your chickens before they hatch.



LKGates
Posts: 3243
Joined: December 13th, 2010, 10:07 pm
Location: Salem, Oregon
Has liked: 107 times
Been liked: 172 times
Contact:

Re: WTH has happened to WAC basketball?

Post by LKGates » March 8th, 2011, 7:07 pm

oldmainaggie wrote:One season is not indicative of every season. The pendulum swings back and forth. No one will argue that the WAC has been down this season, but we have no control over that. It is what it is! What we DO have control over is our own destiny. We need to dominate the WAC in every major sport so that we are in a position to improve our conference affiliation when opportunity comes knocking. I am still confident that the musical chairs game of conference realignment is not over yet. Opportunity will come knocking if we just take care of business.
AMEN!


Feel free to follow me on Twitter: @AggieLarry

User avatar
USU78
2016 Weekly Pick'em Champion
Posts: 5991
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has liked: 516 times
Been liked: 134 times

Re: WTH has happened to WAC basketball?

Post by USU78 » March 8th, 2011, 10:35 pm

I have a theory I'm working on: It was true in the bWc and it's true of the WAC. Stew's program and teams so demoralize other schools that they cannot compete. No matter what they do, they can't beat him, so they just end up giving up on their programs.


You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

User avatar
NAggsty Butler
Posts: 1845
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:39 pm
Location: Bremerton, WA
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 14 times

Re: WTH has happened to WAC basketball?

Post by NAggsty Butler » March 9th, 2011, 12:10 am

USU78 wrote:I have a theory I'm working on: It was true in the bWc and it's true of the WAC. Stew's program and teams so demoralize other schools that they cannot compete. No matter what they do, they can't beat him, so they just end up giving up on their programs.
Another way to look at it is that while all other programs have fallen, stew has kept this program on top and getting better. While im not so optomistic about next year, I had the same feeling when Jaycee left, and when Gary left, and when Jared left...


"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg
Image

User avatar
SweepDance
Posts: 306
Joined: February 7th, 2011, 12:18 pm
Location: Sandy, UT
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 11 times

Re: WTH has happened to WAC basketball?

Post by SweepDance » March 9th, 2011, 12:34 am

NAggsty Butler wrote:Another way to look at it is that while all other programs have fallen, stew has kept this program on top and getting better. While im not so optomistic about next year, I had the same feeling when Jaycee left, and when Gary left, and when Jared left...
+1. I had that same feeling, especially when Jaycee left...now what? I think we all know by now that Stew is too good to let USU drift into mediocrity. Utah State doesn't REBUILD, they just RELOAD!



USUinventedswagger
Posts: 2198
Joined: November 20th, 2010, 9:32 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: WTH has happened to WAC basketball?

Post by USUinventedswagger » March 9th, 2011, 10:16 am

NAggsty Butler wrote:
USU78 wrote:I have a theory I'm working on: It was true in the bWc and it's true of the WAC. Stew's program and teams so demoralize other schools that they cannot compete. No matter what they do, they can't beat him, so they just end up giving up on their programs.
Another way to look at it is that while all other programs have fallen, stew has kept this program on top and getting better. While im not so optomistic about next year, I had the same feeling when Jaycee left, and when Gary left, and when Jared left...
You really felt that when Quayle left? 2010-2011 was always circled as a special season. Quayle was a fine player, but he was very replaceable, and hasn't been missed in the slightest.


The limitation of tyrants is the endurance of those they oppose. – Frederick Douglass

User avatar
NAggsty Butler
Posts: 1845
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:39 pm
Location: Bremerton, WA
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 14 times

Re: WTH has happened to WAC basketball?

Post by NAggsty Butler » March 9th, 2011, 10:49 am

USUinventedswagger wrote:
NAggsty Butler wrote:
USU78 wrote:I have a theory I'm working on: It was true in the bWc and it's true of the WAC. Stew's program and teams so demoralize other schools that they cannot compete. No matter what they do, they can't beat him, so they just end up giving up on their programs.
Another way to look at it is that while all other programs have fallen, stew has kept this program on top and getting better. While im not so optomistic about next year, I had the same feeling when Jaycee left, and when Gary left, and when Jared left...
You really felt that when Quayle left? 2010-2011 was always circled as a special season. Quayle was a fine player, but he was very replaceable, and hasn't been missed in the slightest.
Were you completely confident that Pane could come in and perform? I had never seen him play, and everyone knows its a gamble whenever you recruit someone. They could be the absolutle best high school player or whatever and never take off somewhere else. And regardless of Pane, we sure didn't have any dependable PGs already at USU to replace Quayle, so yeah I really felt unsure about the future when Quayle left. Hindsight is 20/20, but foresight sure isn't.


"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg
Image

User avatar
WAAggie
Posts: 2182
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:02 am
Location: Kent WA
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 38 times

Re: WTH has happened to WAC basketball?

Post by WAAggie » March 9th, 2011, 12:34 pm

BS that Qualye was easy to replace. Note the stats listed elswhere that Jared had a better Jr season.

Now Pane most likely will have an even better sr season and we would all give Trouts left one to have Pane playing at his current level when we played BYU. Pane has a very high celing. Imagine if he was hitting 45% from 3.



coachallison
Posts: 123
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:23 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: WTH has happened to WAC basketball?

Post by coachallison » March 9th, 2011, 1:34 pm

Utah State fans need to stop drink that cool aid. You guys might think its going to be easy replacing the 5 seniors you guys are going to lose but you will find out that it isn't going to be easy. NMSU and Nevada found that out this season. You guys will find out next season.



cache-aggie
Posts: 38
Joined: January 31st, 2011, 1:41 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: WTH has happened to WAC basketball?

Post by cache-aggie » March 9th, 2011, 1:45 pm

coachallison wrote:Utah State fans need to stop drink that cool aid. You guys might think its going to be easy replacing the 5 seniors you guys are going to lose but you will find out that it isn't going to be easy. NMSU and Nevada found that out this season. You guys will find out next season.
We still have Brady and Brockeith (and Stew). I kind of like our chances.



User avatar
TrueBigBlue
Posts: 2508
Joined: November 12th, 2010, 12:14 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times

Re: WTH has happened to WAC basketball?

Post by TrueBigBlue » March 9th, 2011, 8:32 pm

coachallison wrote:Utah State fans need to stop drink that cool aid. You guys might think its going to be easy replacing the 5 seniors you guys are going to lose but you will find out that it isn't going to be easy. NMSU and Nevada found that out this season. You guys will find out next season.
I will bet you $100 today that Utah State has a better overall record at the end of the season next year than NMSU. Pony up, Francois



cdaAg
Posts: 602
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:41 am
Location: Perry, enfin
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: WTH has happened to WAC basketball?

Post by cdaAg » March 9th, 2011, 9:43 pm

coachallison wrote:Utah State fans need to stop drink that cool aid. You guys might think its going to be easy replacing the 5 seniors you guys are going to lose but you will find out that it isn't going to be easy. NMSU and Nevada found that out this season. You guys will find out next season.
Thanks coachallison for weighing in with the voice of reason. If any fan of the league has shown time and again how to make realistic, accurate predictions about their team, it's certainly coachallison.



User avatar
freakboy
Posts: 1128
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 12:54 pm
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 28 times

Re: WTH has happened to WAC basketball?

Post by freakboy » March 9th, 2011, 9:57 pm

Frank, you ought to consider switching loyalties. Don't you grow tired of always having to look to "next season" for success, yet "next season" never seems to arrive. Up in Logan "next season" is always here.



Locked Previous topicNext topic