any news on the decibel meter?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AggieSports
RIP
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: any news on the decibel meter?

Post by AggieSports » November 3rd, 2011, 7:09 pm

Have you tried to find out who originaly installed them and contacting them to ask where said controller box is?

IMO

cameraman

Post by cameraman » November 3rd, 2011, 7:13 pm

ha absolutely have. we're on about year 5 of attempts to fix this thing.

UtahStizzle
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by UtahStizzle » November 3rd, 2011, 7:58 pm

Let's make the decibel meter the 2012 senior gift.

Twitter: UtahStizzle

jpswensen
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 130 times

Post by jpswensen » November 3rd, 2011, 7:59 pm

I got a reply back from the ECE professor (who I worked with during undergrad). His name is Don Cripps and said he is more than willing to help and find help. You can get his contact info from http://www.ece.usu.edu/faculty_staff/index.php. I am paranoid about posting emails on forums, so you can get it there.

Have you opened up the display box? Does it just have the display electronics or does it also have the sound sensing circuitry? Does it look like all the electronics was housed in the control box and the display box literally just has the number displays? The best bet may be to just build/buy a new control box. Now that Radio Shack sells Arduinos, you could pretty much get everything to prototype up the entire control box (sensor and output to the control box) in a trip to The Shack. The real problem is determining what the inputs to the display box expects. I assuming that is what you are doing now?

Jordan Nathan's #2 Fan (seriously, YBA thinks he wins out against mom?!?!?!)

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » November 3rd, 2011, 8:26 pm

travelingagg wrote:Why can't we have a student intern sit down with the press on the west side close to the floor with one of these. ]

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/EXTECH ... vc=IDPBBZ2

All she or he would have to do is manually enter the changing levels until we get something figured out.

http://computech.com/index.php?main_pag ... 6341580f49

It's quite a ghetto solutions, but who cares.
I just found out that a lot of the cheaper Extech sound level meters actually have an analog output. That means that for $90 you could get the sensor ( for about $50 you could get a microcontroller and bunch of transistors to drive the display, and for $150 you could get three large 7 segment displays (http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article ... vensegment). An enclosure might also cost you $50. Someone could easily build a new one in a Saturday for $300-350.

treesap32
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 228 times

Post by treesap32 » November 3rd, 2011, 8:47 pm

jpswensen wrote:
travelingagg wrote:Why can't we have a student intern sit down with the press on the west side close to the floor with one of these. ]

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/EXTECH ... vc=IDPBBZ2

All she or he would have to do is manually enter the changing levels until we get something figured out.

http://computech.com/index.php?main_pag ... 6341580f49

It's quite a ghetto solutions, but who cares.
I just found out that a lot of the cheaper Extech sound level meters actually have an analog output. That means that for $90 you could get the sensor ( for about $50 you could get a microcontroller and bunch of transistors to drive the display, and for $150 you could get three large 7 segment displays (http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article ... vensegment). An enclosure might also cost you $50. Someone could easily build a new one in a Saturday for $300-350.
I guarantee I could raise that funding in 1-2 days if needed....

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » November 3rd, 2011, 8:56 pm

We should get a better idea from cameraman as to what works, what doesn't work, how much he has figured out about the current display box, etc. Has the Spectrum really been 5 years without the Decibel Meter? That sucks!

treesap32
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 228 times

Post by treesap32 » November 3rd, 2011, 9:01 pm

jpswensen wrote:We should get a better idea from cameraman as to what works, what doesn't work, how much he has figured out about the current display box, etc. Has the Spectrum really been 5 years without the Decibel Meter? That sucks!
Oh, it's been much longer than that. It's just been 5 years that there has been talk about fixing it. cameraman has definitely come the furthest, and I have confidence he will get it done one way or another.

cameraman

Post by cameraman » November 3rd, 2011, 10:09 pm

I'm not going to get your hopes up anymore and tell you that it will be up by next week. but I'm hoping we can have it back by at least after the break. Maybe we'll premiere it for the Nevada game

AggieHoops

Post by AggieHoops » November 4th, 2011, 7:01 am

For a temporary fix, just get a laptop, attach an inexpensive sensor and then just output the display to the video boards. It could be even as simple as one of the camera guys videoing the screen with the app running. That would get the screen on the video boards for everyone to see. You've got 7 days to get it working, don't let us down, it would be awesome!

aggieref
Been liked: 4 times

Post by aggieref » November 4th, 2011, 10:57 am

We have got to have it up in time for the BYU game!!! How can I help? Who can I donate to?

cache-aggie

Post by cache-aggie » November 4th, 2011, 11:09 am

In the meantime, maybe we can just get a bellringer guy like this one every time we score a basket

Roy McAvoy
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 271 times

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 4th, 2011, 11:16 am

Haha thanks for that. That video never gets old. I remember in high school in one of my classes my friends and I just watched that thing over and over and over for like an hour just dying laughing and picking apart every part of that video. It's funny now, but when you're a 16 year old kid that is really really funny.

NVAggie
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 379 times

Post by NVAggie » November 4th, 2011, 2:48 pm

No that is some funny stuff right there.

AGinNEIowa
2015, 2016, & 2017 WTHCG Pick'em Champion
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by AGinNEIowa » November 4th, 2011, 6:37 pm

isn't that what "ringing the bell" means?

even better than that video, is the one of the futball ref linked at the top of the suggested list.

Locked Previous topicNext topic