Another hero involved in saving Danny's life

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AGGIEFIGHT
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Another hero involved in saving Danny's life

Post by AGGIEFIGHT » December 7th, 2012, 2:50 pm

I was told that former NBA player Ryan Gomes donated the defriblater to USU that saved Danny's life. Story is that when he
playing basketball he had a teamate collapse at practice and die. Not wanting anyone else to have to go thru seeing a teamate
die he used some of his NBA salary to set up a charitable trust to donate defib machines to colleges and high schools across the
United states.
I hope USU finds it way to thank him.

His foundation is the hoops 4 hearts foundation if your interested
Last edited by AGGIEFIGHT on December 7th, 2012, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

72AgGrad
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Another hero involved in saving Danny's life

Post by 72AgGrad » December 7th, 2012, 2:55 pm

If what you heard is true, it is a wonderful story. I noted, however, in the Andy Katz article linked in another thread, that
according to Katz most, if not all, college athletic training staffs now have defibrillators. Being somewhat out of touch, I
confess to having been surprised (though now I know I should not have been) that our department has that machine, and
also wondered, at the time, how we could afford it given our budget. Now we know that NOT having one would probably
have meant the loss of a life, and that NOT having one would be a huge deficiency for any athletic department. However it
is we have it, I'm just glad we do.

MetsJetsAggies
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by MetsJetsAggies » December 7th, 2012, 2:56 pm

I'd hope we would find the money to have one either way...

treesap32
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by treesap32 » December 7th, 2012, 3:20 pm

AGGIEFIGHT wrote:I was told that former NBA player Ryan Gomes donated the defriblater to USU that saved Danny's life. Story is that when he
playing basketball he had a teamate collapse at practice and die. Not wanting anyone else to have to go thru seeing a teamate
die he used some of his NBA salary to set up a charitable trust to donate defib machines to colleges and high schools across the
United states.
I hope USU finds it way to thank him.

His foundation is the hoops 4 hearts foundation if your interested
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/stor ... mes-080908

AGGIEFIGHT

Post by AGGIEFIGHT » December 7th, 2012, 4:21 pm

Thanks for providing the rest of the story "tree'

treesap32
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by treesap32 » December 7th, 2012, 4:28 pm

Thank you for providing your knowledge! What an incredible story this all has been. Here's a blog entry I made on the topic as well:

http://www.usustats.com/blog/2012/12/07 ... ny-berger/

NewMexicoStateOwnsUtahSt
Your just jelus
Been liked: 0

Post by NewMexicoStateOwnsUtahSt » December 7th, 2012, 4:45 pm

72AgGrad wrote:If what you heard is true, it is a wonderful story. I noted, however, in the Andy Katz article linked in another thread, that
according to Katz most, if not all, college athletic training staffs now have defibrillators. Being somewhat out of touch, I
confess to having been surprised (though now I know I should not have been) that our department has that machine, and
also wondered, at the time, how we could afford it given our budget. Now we know that NOT having one would probably
have meant the loss of a life, and that NOT having one would be a huge deficiency for any athletic department. However it
All college training staff have a defibrillator. I know we had one at Western NM which is a poor D-2 school.

JonnyCienPesos
Been liked: 10 times

Post by JonnyCienPesos » December 7th, 2012, 4:56 pm

NewMexicoStateOwnsUtahSt wrote:
72AgGrad wrote:If what you heard is true, it is a wonderful story. I noted, however, in the Andy Katz article linked in another thread, that
All college training staff have a defibrillator. I know we had one at Western NM which is a poor D-2 school.

You should have used it on your brain.

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

Coloraggie
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Coloraggie » December 7th, 2012, 5:15 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
NewMexicoStateOwnsUtahSt wrote:

You should have used it on your brain.
POTD!!!!

pilotaggie
Been liked: 6 times

Post by pilotaggie » December 7th, 2012, 11:38 pm

AED's really aren't that expensive given the lives they save. You can buy one off amazon right now for like a $1000. At that price there are no excuse for schools not to have them.

AGinNEIowa
2015, 2016, & 2017 WTHCG Pick'em Champion
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by AGinNEIowa » December 8th, 2012, 8:47 am

an AED, and a quick-thinking off-duty EMS saved a life at my Fitness Center. A dude had nearly the same thing happen as DB12 only 5 min into his workout. The EMS had finished up, and was about to leave when he felt like he better do some cool-down walking laps - something he never does. On the 4th lap, the other guy collapsed about 15 yards from him. He was on him in seconds and the EMS wife (who was standing next to the door with the AED - waiting for him to go) yelled at the desk to call 911 and brought the AED.

This stuff is scary as hell, thank the Lord that Mike Williams was there, ready to go, and that the AED was close enough to make a difference.

High Schools should all have these, let alone colleges.

Locked Previous topicNext topic