I missed it

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
satireag
Has thanked: 0

I missed it

Post by satireag » March 5th, 2014, 11:15 pm

What did Shaw do around the 5:00 remaining mark that put him in the doghouse? I was in the other room and when I came back in he was sitting on the bench. Maybe this was a good thing at the end of the game to have him out.
Last edited by satireag on March 5th, 2014, 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FeartheFro

Re: I missed it

Post by FeartheFro » March 5th, 2014, 11:16 pm

Almost bumped a ref. Got a technical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aggiefan33

Post by Aggiefan33 » March 6th, 2014, 12:26 am

After he was called for an offensive foul, he had choice words for the official. I doubt his words were any were than what I was saying though.

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk. Please forgive my improper grammar and/or spelling issues.

The harder you work, the harder it is to Surrender. - Men's Basketball locker room

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » March 6th, 2014, 6:26 am

That is one technical I did not mind. I loved the emotion and fire - we need more of that.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

satireag

Post by satireag » March 6th, 2014, 7:28 am

Maybe it is for the best to just pull him out for the last five minutes every game!

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » March 6th, 2014, 9:28 am

He certainly deserved both the foul and the T. That was just stupid.

mehascrayon
Been thanked: 0

I missed it

Post by mehascrayon » March 6th, 2014, 10:04 am

That call was weak.
Last edited by mehascrayon on March 6th, 2014, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

"What position did Stew play at Gonzaga?"
"Master of the Universe."

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » March 6th, 2014, 10:32 am

satireag wrote:Maybe it is for the best to just pull him out for the last five minutes every game!
Not to derail this thread too much but after Shaw's technical and giving them their two FT's we had a lead of 1 point. From that 8:12 mark on we were able to extend the lead to as much as 13 points and we never trailed. Previous to the technical and with Shaw getting the majority of the minutes, we only ever lead by as much as 4 and were down by as much as 8.

So what changed? For one, our defense changed - we held Wyoming to 7 points over the next seven and a half minutes (they tacked on another 4 points in junk time) after the technical or .933 points/min over that stretch. Previous to the technical, we were allowing 1.34 points/min. In addition to the defense, our offense suddenly put up 2.62 points/min. over that last 8 min of the game compared to the 1.37 points/min. we had been putting up during the previous 32 minutes of the game. We were nearly twice as efficient on offense and played better defense without Shaw on the court.

Now, the Shaw lovers can debate that his technical lit a fire under the team and gave them a boost and the Shaw haters can look to the numbers as see that we actually play better team basketball without him.

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » March 6th, 2014, 10:37 am

mehascrayon wrote:That call was weak.
I agree. The color commentator thought Shaw was in the wrong to even argue but it looked like they just got tangled up a bit. Shaw must have used some very strong words with the ref though, because that T came awfully quickly and it seemed to be based solely off of what Shaw said. I definitely didn't see him "almost bump" the official.

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » March 6th, 2014, 10:37 am

double post.
Last edited by MarioWest on March 6th, 2014, 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 6th, 2014, 10:37 am

Aglicious wrote:
satireag wrote:Maybe it is for the best to just pull him out for the last five minutes every game!
Not to derail this thread too much but after Shaw's technical and giving them their two FT's we had a lead of 1 point. From that 8:12 mark on we were able to extend the lead to as much as 13 points and we never trailed. Previous to the technical and with Shaw getting the majority of the minutes, we only ever lead by as much as 4 and were down by as much as 8.

So what changed? For one, our defense changed - we held Wyoming to 7 points over the next seven and a half minutes (they tacked on another 4 points in junk time) after the technical or .933 points/min over that stretch. Previous to the technical, we were allowing 1.34 points/min. In addition to the defense, our offense suddenly put up 2.62 points/min. over that last 8 min of the game compared to the 1.37 points/min. we had been putting up during the previous 32 minutes of the game. We were nearly twice as efficient on offense and played better defense without Shaw on the court.

Now, the Shaw lovers can debate that his technical lit a fire under the team and gave them a boost and the Shaw haters can look to the numbers as see that we actually play better team basketball without him.
Do you honestly consider the last five minutes of one game a large enough sample size to make that kind of statement?

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » March 6th, 2014, 10:40 am

2004AG wrote:
Aglicious wrote:

Do you honestly consider the last five minutes of one game a large enough sample size to make that kind of statement?

It was 8 min. and it was a distinct moment of change in the game. To that point we were losing about 50% of the time in the game, afterward we never trailed and extended the lead like we had not been able to do at any other point.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 6th, 2014, 10:51 am

Aglicious wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Aglicious wrote:

It was 8 min. and it was a distinct moment of change in the game. To that point we were losing about 50% of the time in the game, afterward we never trailed and extended the lead like we had not been able to do at any other point.
Oh well i take it all back. 5 minutes of one game is not nearly enough but 8 minutes changes everything.

AGGIEFIGHT

Post by AGGIEFIGHT » March 6th, 2014, 10:58 am

I will stick up for Jared on the initial call. The Wyoming player had grabbed Jared and was pulling him down, jared lost balance
and ran over him. Definitely a bad call. No excuse for the technical though.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » March 6th, 2014, 11:24 am

2004AG wrote:
Aglicious wrote:

I would argue we often looked better while he was suspended for 5 games too...

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » March 6th, 2014, 11:31 am

2004AG wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Aglicious wrote:

Oh well i take it all back. 5 minutes of one game is not nearly enough but 8 minutes changes everything.

I'm not a hater or a lover, I am Switzerland. I don't have an agenda, it was just an observation about how the team performed pre-technical and post-technical. Stating "We were nearly twice as efficient on offense and played better defense without Shaw on the court" was fact, not my opinion. It was also not a statement about every game or the season as a whole, just last night's game.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » March 6th, 2014, 11:44 am

Our team wasn't the only variable. Wyoming was getting no help off the bench. Their starters were pretty much gassed by the last eight minutes. Like most things, it's complex.

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » March 6th, 2014, 12:31 pm

I was 10 feet from the play. Shaw definitely hooked the defender with his left arm. I think Shaw would be viewed in a totally different light if two things changed:

1. He never took another shot outside of 10 feet.

2. He stopped trying to act like such a hard a$$. He is not a tough guy, so please stop acting like one.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 6th, 2014, 1:12 pm

I thought it was a good call after seeing the replay. Shaw hooked him, and was subsequently pushed to the ground. The first foul was what was called as is usually the case. Shaw then reacted by jumping up and aggressively approaching the official. I wasn't surprised he picked up the technical.

MalAgua

Post by MalAgua » March 6th, 2014, 2:16 pm

The thing that bothers me most about the way Shaw plays is that he is constantly trying to draw fouls and whining to the refs when he doesn't get something. It seems almost every play, whether offense or defense, if he gets beat or misses a shot, he always complains to a ref as he starts to stroll down the court. I'd rather he just buck up and hustle his a$$ down court instead of trying to draw fouls. He'd be better at defending if he focused himself on actual defensive strategy rather than falling over and flailing his gangly arms (Wacky-Waving-Inflatable-Arm-Flailing-Tube-Man). This goes hand-in-hand with all the comments about him playing weak, but does anyone else get as annoyed by this as me?

Locked Previous topicNext topic