how cool would a projector like this be for the spectrum?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

how cool would a projector like this be for the spectrum?

Post by QuackAttackAggie » March 18th, 2014, 3:25 pm

brownjeans
Flatulent

Re: how cool would a projector like this be for the spectrum

Post by brownjeans » March 18th, 2014, 3:55 pm

All those historic Cavalier highlights and the best player to put on their uniform absent.

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » March 18th, 2014, 5:20 pm

That is pretty dang cool.

Cant really blame them for leaving out James...

Where only sage brush grows

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 18th, 2014, 8:18 pm

MrBiggle wrote:Cant really blame them for leaving out James...
No. But I'm sure that by cutting him out, they've cut 80% of the best highlights in the history of the Cavalier franchise.

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » March 18th, 2014, 8:29 pm

Didn't click the link at first and spent a solid minute trying to think of a great University of Virginia player named "James."

As awesome as that projection is, that sort of extravagance is best left for the NBA imo. I'll take Big Blue rappelling down from the Spectrum roof any day of the week.

TrueBigBlue

Post by TrueBigBlue » March 18th, 2014, 11:31 pm

MarioWest wrote:Didn't click the link at first and spent a solid minute trying to think of a great University of Virginia player named "James."

As awesome as that projection is, that sort of extravagance is best left for the NBA imo. I'll take Big Blue rappelling down from the Spectrum roof any day of the week.
Which he hasn't done in forever

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 18th, 2014, 11:42 pm

TrueBigBlue wrote:
MarioWest wrote:Didn't click the link at first and spent a solid minute trying to think of a great University of Virginia player named "James."

He can't with the new video board.

Sent from my teléfono

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 19th, 2014, 7:02 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
TrueBigBlue wrote:

Sent from my teléfono
Last year's Big Blue did it just fine with the new video board.

Agzrule

Post by Agzrule » March 19th, 2014, 7:19 am

treesap32 wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
TrueBigBlue wrote:

Sent from my teléfono
Sorry to disagree treesap, but your memory is wrong on this one.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 19th, 2014, 7:25 am

Agzrule wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
TrueBigBlue wrote:

Sent from my teléfono
Take it up with ProvoAggie. He told me that Big Blue came down from the ceiling in 2012-13, even with the new scoreboard, but this year didn't do it.

Agzrule

Post by Agzrule » March 19th, 2014, 7:48 am

treesap32 wrote:
Agzrule wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
TrueBigBlue wrote:

Sent from my teléfono
Take it up with ProvoAggie. He told me that Big Blue came down from the ceiling in 2012-13, even with the new scoreboard, but this year didn't do it.
Ha ha, ok. Well if you get a second find a photo of the underside of the scoreboard, then tell me how someone got thru that without the use of assistance of the star ship Enterprise. If i knew how to post a photo i would.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 19th, 2014, 8:00 am

He didn't go through the middle, but instead from the ceiling

Rawbirds

Post by Rawbirds » March 19th, 2014, 8:35 am

Yeah they cut a hole in the ceiling just south and east of the scoreboard and he came out of it a few times, I don't know why he stopped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » March 19th, 2014, 9:22 am

Agzrule wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
Agzrule wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
TrueBigBlue wrote:

Sent from my teléfono
Ha ha, ok. Well if you get a second find a photo of the underside of the scoreboard, then tell me how someone got thru that without the use of assistance of the star ship Enterprise. If i knew how to post a photo i would.

This was my only beef with the new score board. My daughter loved it when big blue would rappel down. Treesap is correct he did it maybe 2-3 times last year from the roof, it was still cool but it did not have the same effect. I am not sure if it is possible but it would be nice if they could make an opening in the undercover so he could go through. ;)

I agree a projector like that is just right for the NBA, but probably not necessary for NCAA.

Where only sage brush grows

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 19th, 2014, 9:24 am

Rawbirds wrote:Yeah they cut a hole in the ceiling just south and east of the scoreboard and he came out of it a few times, I don't know why he stopped

We got a new Big Blue this year and I'm guessing that the new one didn't want to do it. It worked fine last year and was always one of my favorite parts of the intro. I wish they still did it.

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » March 19th, 2014, 10:36 am

I really miss that as well - it would be nice to do something to get the crowd excited at the beginning again. The projector is awesome, but I'm with the conscientious here that I'm not sure it would translate well to the spectrum. I love the intros in the ESA though so maybe something different would ignite some excitement.

GUS

Post by GUS » March 19th, 2014, 10:54 am

The lighting limitations of the Spectrum have made it hard to do introductions that are very exciting.

FRN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by FRN » March 19th, 2014, 11:04 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
Rawbirds wrote:Yeah they cut a hole in the ceiling just south and east of the scoreboard and he came out of it a few times, I don't know why he stopped

We got a new Big Blue this year and I'm guessing that the new one didn't want to do it. It worked fine last year and was always one of my favorite parts of the intro. I wish they still did it.
The reason that Blue does not drop from the ceiling, is that it was deemed unsafe by the fire marshal. The way the ceiling in the Spectrum is designed, its just paneling and a bunch of 2x4's put side by side to make a walk way. There is no railing, and nothing that would prevent you, if you stepped off the walkway from plunging to your death. When they cut the hole in the ceiling, the scaffolding they built wasn't strong enough and big enough to support Blue, plus all the equipment for him to repel safely, and to make it so, would require a whole new design of that section of the roof. So in the end, they just decided it wasn't worth it.

The home of the original Aggie Athletics podcast
@USUfrontrow

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 19th, 2014, 12:51 pm

GUS wrote:The lighting limitations of the Spectrum have made it hard to do introductions that are very exciting.
byu had the same problem with lights taking too long to come back on after turning them off so they built something to cover the lights to make it dark.
FRN wrote:The reason that Blue does not drop from the ceiling, is that it was deemed unsafe by the fire marshal. The way the ceiling in the Spectrum is designed, its just paneling and a bunch of 2x4's put side by side to make a walk way. There is no railing, and nothing that would prevent you, if you stepped off the walkway from plunging to your death. When they cut the hole in the ceiling, the scaffolding they built wasn't strong enough and big enough to support Blue, plus all the equipment for him to repel safely, and to make it so, would require a whole new design of that section of the roof. So in the end, they just decided it wasn't worth it.
This makes sense. Kind of disappointing that Blue doesn't drop down anymore but you gotta watch out for his safety. It would be cool if they could figure out something to do instead though.

skyfire

Post by skyfire » March 19th, 2014, 1:11 pm

Could they fire him out of a cannon? I can see it now ... a flash of light and smoke from the tunnel ... Big Blue flying through the air holding a ball in his outstretched hands ... bouncing off a trampoline placed near the opposite 3 point line ... ram dunk.

diehardaggiefan

Post by diehardaggiefan » March 19th, 2014, 1:22 pm

brownjeans wrote:
MrBiggle wrote:Cant really blame them for leaving out James...
No. But I'm sure that by cutting him out, they've cut 80% of the best highlights in the history of the Cavalier franchise.
Yeah I don't really care for Lebron, but the best years in Cavalier history were when he was there. He is their only mvp in franchise history, and was the leader of their only finals appearance in history. It just looks weird to have a highlight show without him. I understand why they did it, but it sure looks weird.

Logan, Utah; the site of the 2014 MW Championship game.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 19th, 2014, 9:51 pm

Sour grapes several years later. SMH.

Locked Previous topicNext topic