0-7

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Hieronymus_Bosch
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

0-7

Post by Hieronymus_Bosch » November 8th, 2014, 8:25 am

The Aggies will start the season 0-7. Might not even win 10 games this year. I will give them 11 to be nice.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Re: 0-7

Post by NVAggie » November 8th, 2014, 8:52 am

This may very well be true. What can you expect when you lose your entire team?

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » November 8th, 2014, 9:18 am

Man. This insider info is getting good! Predicting the future! ;)

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Donman

Post by Donman » November 8th, 2014, 9:29 am

I bet he's wrong

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » November 8th, 2014, 9:36 am

I think saying 11 wins IS being nice. The way we look now substantiates it. Hopefully we make big strides, but it shouldn't be expected. Maybe we will be a little better. I think it was in the 80's when we went 1 and 23. The only team we beat was the why.
Everyone wanted Tuellers head. Rod stayed, and we went to the NCAA's the next year.

Who knows what will happen with this team. So far we have proved that we have very good athletes, but vey bad basketball players........with 2 exceptions.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 8th, 2014, 10:17 am

New guys in Stew's system usually take half a season to start to integrate. I'm willing to let that happen.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 8th, 2014, 10:21 am

What? Why not 0-8? You think we'll beat UVU on the road but not UC Davis on the road?

hipsterdoofus21

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 8th, 2014, 2:02 pm

NVAggie wrote:New guys in Stew's system usually take half a season to start to integrate. I'm willing to let that happen.
New jucos, true freshmen, and sophomores is what we are dealing with here. I agree with you NVAggie, anyone who judges this team too harshly on the first half of the season is being unrealistic. We aren't used to rebuilding years with Stew, but after last year's purge this was necessary.

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » November 8th, 2014, 3:54 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:I think it was in the 80's when we went 1 and 23. The only team we beat was the why.
Actually, the only road win that year was in Provo - ironic that in our worst year we win in Provo and in their worst year they did the same. We won 3 home games 1) Utah (still haven't figured that one out) 2) LBS - they didn't win in Logan for years and years
3) UOP - in a case of the unbelievable, we played them back-to-back. Lost there on Thursday night by 22 - and lost our starting center for a while. Two days later in Logan without Leo, we won by 28. Make of it what you will.

So we went 4-23. The next year Greg Grant started as a freshman. We signed, among others, two kids out of Dixie JC. Ron Ence and Chris McMullin. Ence was a skinny 6'7" center who held his own game after game against "credentialed" big men. McMullin was a pure shooting guard. And Greg Grant started a trip into the record books.

We started the next year 10-1 (losing to Weber) then went 10-6 in conference finishing 20-9. We got an at-large bid to the 48-team NCAA tourney - one year removed from disaster. Basketball can turn things around a lot faster than football. It takes the right mix - and we will have to wait and see if we have that.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » November 8th, 2014, 5:42 pm

SectionBAggie wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:I think it was in the 80's when we went 1 and 23. The only team we beat was the why.
Actually, the only road win that year was in Provo - ironic that in our worst year we win in Provo and in their worst year they did the same. We won 3 home games 1) Utah (still haven't figured that one out) 2) LBS - they didn't win in Logan for years and years
3) UOP - in a case of the unbelievable, we played them back-to-back. Lost there on Thursday night by 22 - and lost our starting center for a while. Two days later in Logan without Leo, we won by 28. Make of it what you will.

So we went 4-23. The next year Greg Grant started as a freshman. We signed, among others, two kids out of Dixie JC. Ron Ence and Chris McMullin. Ence was a skinny 6'7" center who held his own game after game against "credentialed" big men. McMullin was a pure shooting guard. And Greg Grant started a trip into the record books.

We started the next year 10-1 (losing to Weber) then went 10-6 in conference finishing 20-9. We got an at-large bid to the 48-team NCAA tourney - one year removed from disaster. Basketball can turn things around a lot faster than football. It takes the right mix - and we will have to wait and see if we have that.

You are right sir. Thanks. I was so focused on the Y win I forgot about the other 3. Yeah, Ence and McMullin proved to be good gets...very solid. Remember McMullins' half court shot at the buzzer to beat the ewets?

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » November 9th, 2014, 1:02 am

Doubt it. Santa Clara, UC-Davis are more than likely wins

Maybe Weber

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » November 10th, 2014, 4:08 pm

Glad I can just relax this year and hope to see some Aggies playing ball and getting better. Win,lose??? Just compete, play hard and get better.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » November 10th, 2014, 5:01 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
SectionBAggie wrote:

You are right sir. Thanks. I was so focused on the Y win I forgot about the other 3. Yeah, Ence and McMullin proved to be good gets...very solid. Remember McMullins' half court shot at the buzzer to beat the ewets?

There was a year in which USU was BYU's only win - and that one was in the Spectrum. That was the year Roger Reid was fired (mid-year, right before Christmas, in true Christ-like byu manner) and Tony Ingles was stuck with that turd of a team.

89LaytonAg

Post by 89LaytonAg » November 10th, 2014, 5:08 pm

The problem is that Stew's system takes so long to learn. With so many new players Stew need's to change his system.

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » November 10th, 2014, 6:01 pm

I am always overly optimistic, but I suppose that makes up for the overly pessimistic approach most that post on here seem to have.

I think we will go 4-3 in our opening 7 games:

Weber State - WIN (We just don't lose to in-state foes at home)
at Illinois State - likely loss
Santa Clara - likely WIN
at Miss State - likely loss
at UC Davis - likely win
BYU - WIN (see Weber comment)
at USC - LOSS

There you go. I wouldn't be surprised to see us go 5-2, nor would I necessarily be very surprised to see us go 2-5. I'd be shocked if we go 0-7 though.

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » November 10th, 2014, 6:09 pm

Yossarian wrote: There was a year in which USU was BYU's only win - and that one was in the Spectrum. That was the year Roger Reid was fired (mid-year, right before Christmas, in true Christ-like byu manner) and Tony Ingles was stuck with that turd of a team.
Actually, that's incorrect. The 1-win BYU team (1996-97 season) beat USU in Provo, not in the Spectrum - you are thinking of the 61-64 loss at BYU on Dec 10, 1996. BYU has only beaten Utah State once in the Spectrum since 1993, and that was in the 99-00 season.

Source: www.usustats.com

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » November 10th, 2014, 6:51 pm

Rabidchild wrote:I am always overly optimistic, but I suppose that makes up for the overly pessimistic approach most that post on here seem to have.

Santa Clara - likely WIN
at UC Davis - likely win
at USC - LOSS

There you go. I wouldn't be surprised to see us go 5-2, nor would I necessarily be very surprised to see us go 2-5. I'd be shocked if we go 0-7 though.
MIss. State and USC are picked at or near the bottom of their leagues this year. As green as we are, we might pick one of those off.

Nobody here knows anything.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » November 11th, 2014, 1:09 am

OKAggie wrote:
Rabidchild wrote:I am always overly optimistic, but I suppose that makes up for the overly pessimistic approach most that post on here seem to have.

Santa Clara - likely WIN
at UC Davis - likely win
at USC - LOSS

MIss. State and USC are picked at or near the bottom of their leagues this year. As green as we are, we might pick one of those off.
Miss State is bad so we certainly have a chance there, USC has recruited better so I think they'll be tough to beat. Honestly with this team I won't put it past them to lose to anyone or beat nearly anyone on our schedule. The only sure loss I'd chalk up is SDSU on the road. We likely won't finish with a ton of wins, but I bet we'll come out with a few "upsets" that surprise us as the season goes.

IdaAg93

Post by IdaAg93 » November 12th, 2014, 9:44 am

I have no reason to disagree. My expectations are very low for this team this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AggieDude

Post by AggieDude » November 12th, 2014, 9:58 am

I have a hard time expecting much out this year's team either, but the optimist in me keys in on these points:

- Stew seems to shuffle the line-up a lot in exhibitions every year, even when we have a fair idea of who will be getting most of the minutes. Exhibitions, especially under Stew, show very little about how well the best players will gel when they are given a chance to get in a rhythm.
- Our guys are new to the system, but Stew will be forced to play them instead of burying them deep in the rotation until they are ready. I hope this leads to faster progression.
- Our turnovers haven't been as dismal as they have been in years past. This may be a result of playing lower competition, but it seems that we are decent at taking care of the ball for how early it is in the season.
- We have, from what I can tell, a good mix of athletes and glue guys. Also, I think our athletes are a little more polished than is often the case. I think rapid improvement is possible.

That's all I've got.

aggieblood

Post by aggieblood » November 14th, 2014, 9:05 pm

You were saying.

Go Aggies!

SchwartZTeve

Post by SchwartZTeve » November 14th, 2014, 9:08 pm

Hieronymus_Bosch wrote:The Aggies will start the season 0-7. Might not even win 10 games this year. I will give them 11 to be nice.
It was cute while it lasted, kiddo.

Hieronymus_Bosch

Post by Hieronymus_Bosch » November 14th, 2014, 9:21 pm

Glad to say I was wrong. They might win 12 games this year.
Last edited by Hieronymus_Bosch on November 15th, 2014, 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 14th, 2014, 9:28 pm

Hieronymus_Bosch wrote:Glad to say I was wrong. They might when 12 games this year.
Please. If the team plays lie it did in the 2nd half, its going to be a fun season

"Gary Come Home”
-Mr. Spongebob Squarepants

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » November 14th, 2014, 9:40 pm

Hieronymus_Bosch wrote:Glad to say I was wrong. They might when 12 games this year.
Sorry but how do you when a game? Man, I'm on a roll!!!

Donman

Post by Donman » November 14th, 2014, 9:44 pm

But how many games will we win?

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score

Post by QuackAttackAggie » November 14th, 2014, 9:47 pm

Donman wrote:
Elven

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » November 14th, 2014, 9:48 pm

I won't smack a guy for putting himself out there. I'm glad you were wrong too.

Donman

Post by Donman » November 14th, 2014, 9:50 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
Donman wrote:
Elven
Frank must work in our training department now

VegasAggie71

Post by VegasAggie71 » November 14th, 2014, 10:48 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
Please. If the team plays lie it did in the 2nd half, its going to be a fun season
Voice of Reason: it's just one game - for all we know, Weber is really, really bad. Yes, I'm happy we won, but want to see us win a few more before we start adjusting expectations. Last years team had a nice start too before conference play.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 14th, 2014, 10:54 pm

VegasAggie71 wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
Voice of Reason: it's just one game - for all we know, Weber is really, really bad. Yes, I'm happy we won, but want to see us win a few more before we start adjusting expectations. Last years team had a nice start too before conference play.
Regardless, they made mistakes and we took advantage of it. Good teams do that.

Also they were shooting well in the first half, they were getting boards, they were attacking. Did they lose the game more than we won it? Yes. But still, the team looked really good in the 2nd half.

"Gary Come Home”
-Mr. Spongebob Squarepants

El Jefe

Post by El Jefe » November 14th, 2014, 11:04 pm

Okay, okay. 1-6. Until they win on Sunday. And then 2-5. Unless the win again next week. And then 3-4. Pretty sure. Maybe. And if they go 7-0, I will claim dyslexia.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » November 15th, 2014, 12:28 am

ratofallaggies wrote:
Sorry but how do you when a game? Man, I'm on a roll!!!
Sorry but this had me laughing pretty hard. I'm not even sure why, but I'm still laughing at this. :lol:

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » November 15th, 2014, 12:29 am

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
Donman wrote:
Elven
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm slap happy now. Laughing hard at this too.

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » November 19th, 2014, 8:12 pm

Bump

And I almost forgot. . .

Kent Myers sucks.

Locked Previous topicNext topic