How will this shake out?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AngusAg

How will this shake out?

Post by AngusAg » January 13th, 2015, 7:51 pm

With Stew finishing out the year and Barnes being inundated with NCAA Tourney Chair responsibilities, how do you see this replacement search playing out? When do you expect an announcement? After the MWC tourney but before the start of the NCAA Tourney? Do you think Barnes' Chair responsibilities figured into the timing of Stew's announcement?

Busy time. My gut tells me Barnes hits a home run; he knows this game well.

I still have to pinch myself everyday. This is an unbelievable time to be an Aggie.

jackmormon
RIP

Re: How will this shake out?

Post by jackmormon » January 13th, 2015, 8:20 pm

AngusAg wrote:With Stew finishing out the year and Barnes being inundated with NCAA Tourney Chair responsibilities, how do you see this replacement search playing out? When do you expect an announcement? After the MWC tourney but before the start of the NCAA Tourney? Do you think Barnes' Chair responsibilities figured into the timing of Stew's announcement?

I still have to pinch myself everyday. This is an unbelievable time to be an Aggie.
I am guessing that they are putting out feelers now. I would also guess that candidates have already been contacting Barnes.

Mediocre at Best
Has thanked: 0

Post by Mediocre at Best » January 13th, 2015, 8:56 pm

Dont know what is going to happen but can say what is not going to happen...heard last night from the inner sanctrum that Scott Barnes was up front with all of Stew's assistants telling them they not need not apply. A good first step...some may not love Barnes but I am not one of them. He and Stan and worked too hard to build up Aggie Athletics and Barnes will not lay an egg on this one.

StlAggie

Post by StlAggie » January 14th, 2015, 1:38 am

Mediocre at Best wrote:Dont know what is going to happen but can say what is not going to happen...heard last night from the inner sanctrum that Scott Barnes was up front with all of Stew's assistants telling them they not need not apply. A good first step...some may not love Barnes but I am not one of them. He and Stan and worked too hard to build up Aggie Athletics and Barnes will not lay an egg on this one.
This was fairly apparent during Stew's press conference IMO. He said that two of the main reasons he was making his announcement at that time were: To put the University in a position to make a good hire, and give his assistants plenty of time to find other jobs.

Seems like everyone was on the same page and a new staff will start with a totally clean slate.

I have nothing but faith that Barnes will make a great hire. He has done well in every coaching hire he has made the past few years and is a basketball guy first and foremost. We're in good hands.

usufan5477
Been thanked: 0

Post by usufan5477 » January 14th, 2015, 6:14 am

Even Stew said that we have a great president and AD. Not sure they always saw things the same, but when Stew says that we have a good Pres and AD I would think it is true. Both have done great things for athletics. I do think that Barnes will hire a good coach. It will be fun to follow. With the season going on I don't think we will hear much until after the season. This is an exciting time for USU basketball. Good young players and getting to hire a new coach. I just hope we don't lose Miller and Merrill. I think those 2 can be really good for us.

NevAggie
Been thanked: 0

Post by NevAggie » January 15th, 2015, 9:39 pm

Barnes cannot afford to lay another egg on a hire. He hired one successful Coach for a program that could go nowhere but up. Not much pressure in that hire. The move to hire Matt Wells was not his first choice but he went with what seemed right.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » January 19th, 2015, 9:46 pm

What was his first choice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » January 19th, 2015, 10:47 pm

Jjoey52 wrote:What was his first choice?

Saban.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » January 19th, 2015, 11:02 pm

NevAggie wrote:Barnes cannot afford to lay another egg on a hire. He hired one successful Coach for a program that could go nowhere but up. Not much pressure in that hire. The move to hire Matt Wells was not his first choice but he went with what seemed right.
Another? When did he lay an egg?

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » January 20th, 2015, 12:58 am

GeoAg wrote:
NevAggie wrote:Barnes cannot afford to lay another egg on a hire. He hired one successful Coach for a program that could go nowhere but up. Not much pressure in that hire. The move to hire Matt Wells was not his first choice but he went with what seemed right.
Another? When did he lay an egg?
I don't know what egg he's referring to...but the women's bball coach isn't very popular it seems.

feeah

Post by feeah » January 20th, 2015, 9:20 am

AngusAg wrote:With Stew finishing out the year and Barnes being inundated with NCAA Tourney Chair responsibilities, how do you see this replacement search playing out? When do you expect an announcement? After the MWC tourney but before the start of the NCAA Tourney? Do you think Barnes' Chair responsibilities figured into the timing of Stew's announcement?

I wouldn't expect an announcement until the end of March/beginning of April. This would give assistants with teams in the tournament time to interview after the tournament is over.

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » January 20th, 2015, 4:31 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
Jjoey52 wrote:What was his first choice?

Saban.
Only after Belichick said no.

Twitter: UtahStizzle

Locked Previous topicNext topic