Warning - slightly BYU related (basketball prospect)

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Tetonkatest

Warning - slightly BYU related (basketball prospect)

Post by Tetonkatest » March 23rd, 2015, 8:40 am

Alan Hamson

So, I guess the BYU fans are drooling over a 7'4" kid who is coming home from his mission soon. BYU said they don't have room for him, and his sister played for BYU. Kid had scoliosis before his mission, and had surgery to correct it. He's supposedly much stronger and healthier now.

Shawn Bradley 2.0?
[youtube][/youtube]

Should USU offer this kid a scholarship? Anyone know if he is any good?

ineptimusprime

Re: Warning - slightly BYU related (basketball prospect)

Post by ineptimusprime » March 23rd, 2015, 9:26 am

Just based on my google image search, I'd say no.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 23rd, 2015, 9:31 am

He looks like he has good speed and basic footwork. He might be worth an offer. Maybe he could take Begic' s spot.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 23rd, 2015, 9:37 am

ineptimusprime wrote:Just based on my google image search, I'd say no.
Boy you weren't kidding! That kid is the poster child for Marfan' s Syndrome. I wonder if his heart can handle the rigors of D1 basketball. He looked a lot better in the dimly lit and distant image of the highlight video. Looks like he's already enrolled in byu' s strength program.

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » March 23rd, 2015, 10:17 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:Just based on my google image search, I'd say no.
Boy you weren't kidding! That kid is the poster child for Marfan' s Syndrome. I wonder if his heart can handle the rigors of D1 basketball. He looked a lot better in the dimly lit and distant image of the highlight video. Looks like he's already enrolled in byu' s strength program.
Kid is a twig. His sister Jennifer Hamson played at BYU. This kid may have too many health problems.

Can they run a genetic test for Marfans?

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 23rd, 2015, 10:52 am

Yes I believe so

BigEZ43

Post by BigEZ43 » March 23rd, 2015, 12:07 pm

I used to work with this kid's dad. He is close to a 7-footer and his mom is well over 6-feet. I have no idea if he has Marfan or not, but just like his sister, he has crazy height in his genes. I don't remember for sure, but I think his parents both played college ball as well.

That being said if BYU wants him they'll get him. The family are massive BYU fans.
Last edited by BigEZ43 on March 23rd, 2015, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » March 23rd, 2015, 1:05 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:Yes I believe so
As is true of several genetic disorders, the current state of the art in molecular genetic diagnosis of Marfan Syndrome is hazy and evolving. There are commercially available genetic tests. They are very expensive, and since several different point mutations can cause the clinical syndrome, and since the test does not test for all possible mutations, the test is only about 95% sensitive. Morphometrics are still the foundation of diagnosis: echocardiogram, slit lamp examination of the eye, and measurement of arm span to height ratio.

I was on faculty at the University of Kentucky Medical School for 9 years. They had a very active medical genetics program. They did a grand rounds for us one morning on a huge Marfan kindred out in eastern Kentucky. They had sponsored a family reunion / barbecue to get everyone to come out and have multiple tests and blood for genetic testing. The pictures were incredible, dozens of Marfanoid folks wandering around eating burgers.

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 23rd, 2015, 1:49 pm

LKGates wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:Yes I believe so
As is true of several genetic disorders, the current state of the art in molecular genetic diagnosis of Marfan Syndrome is hazy and evolving. There are commercially available genetic tests. They are very expensive, and since several different point mutations can cause the clinical syndrome, and since the test does not test for all possible mutations, the test is only about 95% sensitive. Morphometrics are still the foundation of diagnosis: echocardiogram, slit lamp examination of the eye, and measurement of arm span to height ratio.

I was on faculty at the University of Kentucky Medical School for 9 years. They had a very active medical genetics program. They did a grand rounds for us one morning on a huge Marfan kindred out in eastern Kentucky. They had sponsored a family reunion / barbecue to get everyone to come out and have multiple tests and blood for genetic testing. The pictures were incredible, dozens of Marfanoid folks wandering around eating burgers.
Dang, you've doctored me again! Guess that's why I'm just a PA :joking:

So what's your assessment of this kid?

LKGates

Post by LKGates » March 23rd, 2015, 6:34 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:Dang, you've doctored me again! Guess that's why I'm just a PA :joking:

So what's your assessment of this kid?
Dude, you know that wasn't the intent! I mean, you're right, there IS a test for Marfan, and it is 95% sensitive, which is pretty good for ANY test. I was just riffing a bit. I never miss an opportunity to bring up that Marfan barbecue. I don't mean to be insensitive to any members of the board who might have Marfan, but seeing a whole gaggle of them is .... unsettling.

I can't tell from the highlights if the kid has Marfan or not. I don't see any coke-bottle glasses, and if both parents are still alive without major aortic reconstruction, then he's probably just a tall, skinny kid who has tall, skinny parents.

As far as basketball skills go, he looks OK. Funny thing, highlight videos never show the shots they miss!

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 23rd, 2015, 9:32 pm

ImageImage
Also, a clue? 60% of kids with Marfan's also have scoliosis.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » March 24th, 2015, 9:26 am

OK, I gotta admit, just eyeballing him, he does look kinda Marfan-y. Looks like the second coming of Shawn Bradley. Best of luck to the kid, but if the Coogs sign him, I hope he works out just like Bradley.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 24th, 2015, 10:01 am

LKGates wrote:OK, I gotta admit, just eyeballing him, he does look kinda Marfan-y. Looks like the second coming of Shawn Bradley. Best of luck to the kid, but if the Coogs sign him, I hope he works out just like Bradley.
I can see why a large group of Marfans would be unsettling though. :lol:

Locked Previous topicNext topic