Wow... Gonna be a long year

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
akborder
Has thanked: 0

Post by akborder » November 6th, 2015, 8:48 pm

The Coach D era begins

JonnyCienPesos

Re: Wow... Gonna be a long year

Post by JonnyCienPesos » November 6th, 2015, 8:50 pm

The "I told you so" crowd is out already?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

akborder
Has thanked: 0

Post by akborder » November 6th, 2015, 8:54 pm

Sorry mr jonnynoballs.... We just got our @sses kicked by Cal freaking State Montgomery.

Laughing stock of D1 bball tonight.
Last edited by akborder on November 6th, 2015, 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » November 6th, 2015, 8:54 pm

Dave Rice 2.0. Haha...

Seriously I am willing to give a little slack in exhibition games but that doesn't take away the embarrassment from losing by 17 to a team that just lost by 54 to the Utes. Yikes!

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » November 6th, 2015, 8:56 pm

The transitive property of sports puts us 71 points worse than the Utes.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » November 6th, 2015, 9:07 pm

akborder wrote:Sorry mr jonnynoballs.... We just got our @sses kicked by Cal freaking State Montgomery.

Ok. As always I expect you to disappear when this team starts winning.

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » November 6th, 2015, 9:22 pm

I was there and it was very
Ugly in all phases of the game, looked like they were sleep walking.

This will be a good test for Duryea, as this loss is certain to get all their attention.

Having only been here 5 years, I can say nothing tops this for terrible even during the Medlin era.

I look at it as a wake up call and in the long run could be a good thing

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

newtonianblue

Post by newtonianblue » November 6th, 2015, 9:24 pm

akborder wrote:Sorry mr jonnynoballs.... We just got our @sses kicked by Cal freaking State Montgomery.

Who is Cal State Montgomery??? At least give the team that kicked our butts some respect :thanks:

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » November 6th, 2015, 9:40 pm

Maybe we should wait for a real game with a real line up/rotation before we decide the season is over. I doubt we're the laughingstock of the nation because I doubt anyone else outside of our own fan base really cares ...

Sometimes coaches allow teams to get their butts kicked to get their attention and show them that if they don't play with effort, they'll get beat even by bad teams.

bigbluebaby

Post by bigbluebaby » November 6th, 2015, 9:43 pm

Probably the single worst game I have ever seen from an "effort perspective" since I have been a USU fan.

Absolutely no motivation at all from the players or coaches..

Defense was atrocious , they penetrated on us all night long.

Offense was pathetic no set plays at all for the most part.

Very very disappointed.

Dureya had better light a fire immediately or Weber is going to beat us like a drum.

"So your saying I got a chance ??!!"

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » November 6th, 2015, 9:45 pm

Vanilla playbook so Duke won't know what's coming....

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » November 6th, 2015, 10:31 pm

bigbluebaby wrote:Defense was atrocious , they penetrated on us all night long.
I disagree with this point. We prevented them from penetrating several times by ensuring we were standing at least 25 feet away from the basket when they pushed the ball ahead for uncontested buckets. In reality, your assessment was spot on, in my opinion.

coolag

Post by coolag » November 6th, 2015, 10:43 pm

Maybe we're trying to make sjsu feel better about their program? Yeah that's it. Helping out a conference mate.

Regulator of Class

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » November 6th, 2015, 10:49 pm

Yeah the entire team must have regressed. This exhibition loss totally wipes out an entire year of decent success last year by the same exact team. Throw in the towel, fire Duryea, fold the program.

If anything this will be a wake up call.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 6th, 2015, 11:24 pm

Hard for me to care about losing a practice. Coach probably let them do things their way and lose on purpose so he can emphasize how their way sucks and they better start listening and working hard at doing things his way.

If we play like this vs. Weber, I'll be upset, but not this game.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » November 6th, 2015, 11:27 pm

brownjeans wrote:Hard for me to care about losing a practice. Coach probably let them do things their way and lose on purpose so he can emphasize how their way sucks and they better start listening and working hard at doing things his way.

I swear we used to say the exact same thing about Stew in these early games. He would let them run and gun and throw up all sorts of shots just to humble them and show them that his way was better.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 6th, 2015, 11:46 pm

Aglicious wrote:
brownjeans wrote:Hard for me to care about losing a practice. Coach probably let them do things their way and lose on purpose so he can emphasize how their way sucks and they better start listening and working hard at doing things his way.

I swear we used to say the exact same thing about Stew in these early games. He would let them run and gun and throw up all sorts of shots just to humble them and show them that his way was better.
Yeah but did we ever lose? Maybe once... Let a lone get absolutely beat down on our home court.

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » November 6th, 2015, 11:47 pm

I hope Aglicious and Brownjeans are right, but the lack of apparent interest/emotion from the bench has me worried. I'll be in Ogden next Friday and really hope to see some sort of visible evidence of care from the coaching staff. That was the part that had me most bothered tonight.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 6th, 2015, 11:55 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
Aglicious wrote:

Yeah but did we ever lose? Maybe once... Let a lone get absolutely beat down on our home court.
No, never to a D2 school.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » November 7th, 2015, 12:05 am

If we play like this vs. Weber, I'll be upset, but not this game
This. The team is too experienced to think anything else, IMO. It's not realistic they've regressed and will all of a sudden suck this year.

It was a bad night/game. It happens, especially this early on. St. Johns lost their exhibition by 32 the other day...Iowa lost tonight as well. UNLV lost to Dixie St a couple years ago. Good news is they don't count

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » November 7th, 2015, 12:09 am

As for Stew, might see a half like that, but in the 2nd half they would come out with a sense of urgency which was missing tonight. I do think in the long run this can be a great coaching tool.

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

dogie

Post by dogie » November 7th, 2015, 12:52 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
Aglicious wrote:

No, never to a D2 school.
I think that USU has never lost to a lower division school in a regular season game. That's one thing that makes this exhibition loss so unsettling.

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » November 7th, 2015, 7:49 am

My concern is that we have more experience and better players from all accounts. Then this happens. Reminds me of the SUU game, we all new we had better talent which was confirmed in the Utah game. Maybe these boys will come together.

#hornsup!

isrred
Pick'em Champ - '21 Kickoff

Post by isrred » November 7th, 2015, 8:01 am

We lost an exhibition game in 2007 with a pretty damn good roster and went on to have a good season. I'm not panicking. This kind of thing happens sometimes. If we play like that against Weber, then I'll start to worry.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 7th, 2015, 10:10 am

But in 2007, that was when we could still play teams like Global Sports which consisted of halfway decent players. As opposed to now when the exhibition games have to be D2 or D3 teams.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » November 7th, 2015, 1:08 pm

isrred wrote:We lost an exhibition game in 2007 with a pretty damn good roster and went on to have a good season. I'm not panicking. This kind of thing happens sometimes. If we play like that against Weber, then I'll start to worry.
We lost to EA Sports all Stars two years in a row 2006/2007. we made the NIT, one vs michigan and the other played Illinois state. Obviously we lost both of those. But they were fun seasons.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 9th, 2015, 8:01 am

I wish we could get the EA Sports games back. Those were good teams with former collegiate players. UCMB is no EAS.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 9th, 2015, 10:30 am

NVAggie wrote:I wish we could get the EA Sports games back. Those were good teams with former collegiate players. UCMB is no EAS.
The other benefit of EAS is that it was their job to provide a service to the teams they played. So our coach could tell them what kinds of things they wanted EAS to run so that he could have our team work on specific things. That doesn't always happen with these other exhibition games. From the interview after the game, I don't think that Coach D wasn't pleased with the first team we played. We paid them to come in and maybe asked them to run certain things to help us tune up but they went off script and did all kinds of crazy stuff and made it hard for our team to work on anything they actually wanted to work on. These exhibition games are for practice - the intent is for our team to be able to work on things. We pay these teams to come in and provide that. EAS did a good job of that. These other teams have their own agenda - wanting to work on their own stuff for their own upcoming season. EAS didn't have another motive - providing a good exhibition team was their motive.

corio

Post by corio » November 10th, 2015, 10:16 am

I'm not good at the rumor thing but I just heard that the team ran a full 3 hour practice the night before with weight lifting. I'm assuming that is out of the ordinary and had an effect on the game? Is there any reason from a coaching standpoint to do that?

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » November 10th, 2015, 12:34 pm

corio wrote:I'm not good at the rumor thing but I just heard that the team ran a full 3 hour practice the night before with weight lifting. I'm assuming that is out of the ordinary and had an effect on the game? Is there any reason from a coaching standpoint to do that?
That could have affected their shooting, but the man to man defense was as bad as I've ever seen. And rebounding is still not good.

IdaAg93

Post by IdaAg93 » November 11th, 2015, 12:38 pm

Why would it be any different from exhibition game to real game. I don't buy it. What I will buy, and I'm not going to invest much into it is, new coach and new system. Will take a handful of games to run the offense with a real defense on the court. Hoping by conference time we have it figured out.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » November 11th, 2015, 12:41 pm

IdaAg93 wrote:

Why would it be any different from exhibition game to real game. I don't buy it. What I will buy, and I'm not going to invest much into it is, new coach and new system. Will take a handful of games to run the offense with a real defense on the court. Hoping by conference time we have it figured out.

Hmm, I thought that the Duryea supporters were pushing "continuity and having similar systems". With 5 returning starters, a head coach that recruited most of them, and a head coach with over 14 years in the system -- perhaps we shouldn't have to be so accepting of the garbage we saw against Cal-State Whoever The Heck They Were. Feels alot like Arslanian again.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » November 11th, 2015, 1:01 pm

Seems like a reasonable time to make conclusory statements about the program.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » November 11th, 2015, 1:06 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:Seems like a reasonable time to make conclusory statements about the program.

Which conclusory statements are you referring to?

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » November 11th, 2015, 1:11 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:Seems like a reasonable time to make conclusory statements about the program.

No conclusions in my post 5 Pesos, I'm just interested in the typical 2-sided apologists claiming we 1) need continuity for the players and the system so hire Duryea; and then 2) we need to give Duryea time to figure out the system and his players. Many of us didn't believe Duryea was a big-enough name or image for this program and that the hiring process failed getting Duryea as it's 4th choice.

So for those that thought Duryea was the right choice, please don't become his apologists when he has 5 returning starters that lose by 17 against a DII team at home. Let's hope we don't have a Dave Arslanian version 2.

Locked Previous topicNext topic