remember when

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Yossarian

remember when

Post by Yossarian » December 12th, 2015, 7:41 pm

Remember when USU had good basketball teams that were efficient, fun to watch, and win games?

Eutaw St. Aggie

Elkaggie

Re: remember when

Post by Elkaggie » December 12th, 2015, 7:42 pm

And never, ever lost at home.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » December 12th, 2015, 7:55 pm

I believe the senior class that included Wesley, Newbold, and Pooh Williams lost one game at home (to st. Marys) in their four years here.

I remember when Andrew Bogut and the Utes came in to the Spectrum and got beat by 26.

Good times.

Eutaw St. Aggie

TFBruin
Has thanked: 0

Post by TFBruin » December 12th, 2015, 8:24 pm

Wow! Talk about sad. Too bad it's on TV.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » December 12th, 2015, 8:57 pm

Remember when a lot of you wanted to run Stew off and we said to be careful what you wished for?

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

dogie

Post by dogie » December 12th, 2015, 9:01 pm

dyedblue wrote:Remember when a lot of you wanted to run Stew off and we said to be careful what you wished for?
Thanks for putting this in perspective - I feel much better about seeing the train wreck that the basketball program has become. But, help me understand your point.

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » December 12th, 2015, 9:01 pm

dyedblue wrote:Remember when a lot of you wanted to run Stew off and we said to be careful what you wished for?
But we return 4 starters and did a national search for a replacement. Odd a national search found a guy already on bench. What are the odds? One in a million?

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » December 12th, 2015, 9:09 pm

No, I don't remember cuz it never happened. But thanks for playing.

Detroit-Aggie

Post by Detroit-Aggie » December 12th, 2015, 9:11 pm

I had this theory that there was a sort of balance of talent between the basketball and football teams.

The basketball team was so good for so many years while the football team was miserable. Then the football team got good and the basketball team had a couple of rough seasons. This year the football team was mediocre so I expected maybe.. a mediocre basketball team! Then we lost to UCI, at home. I don't know, I guess we could still turn out to be mediocre again, but ugh.
Last edited by Detroit-Aggie on December 12th, 2015, 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » December 12th, 2015, 9:11 pm

The hell it didn't. Go search the forum over the last 2-3 years.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 12th, 2015, 9:18 pm

We'll be lucky to finish outside the bottom 3 of the MW this year.

troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » December 12th, 2015, 9:28 pm

I had this game as a loss because of UC IRVINE'S tall front court.
None of my friends believed me.
Man we are soft.
It is going to be a very long year!

A lot of you guys did not want Randy Rahe said he wasn't a good X's and O's guy...maybe he isn't but I will tell you one thing he is not soft. I would rather have a fire in the belly coach than a nice guy. Verlin is a nice guy too at Idaho, how's that working out for them?

USU made a big mistake of Hiring Duryea!

andytheaggie

Post by andytheaggie » December 12th, 2015, 9:31 pm

troutputz wrote:I had this game as a loss because of UC IRVINE'S tall front court.
Man we are soft.

A lot of you guys did not want Randy Rahe said he wasn't a good X's and O's guy...maybe he isn't but I will tell you one thing he is not soft. I would rather have a fire in the belly coach than a nice guy. Verlin is a nice guy too at Idaho, how's that working out for them?

Funny, both Verlin and Duryea beat Rahe this year... Go figure.

Edit: nevermind, it was WSU (Washington State) that Idaho beat, not WSU (Weber State).

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

FuzzyDunlop
Been thanked: 0

Post by FuzzyDunlop » December 13th, 2015, 6:33 am

Not true. There were very few posters who wanted Stew fired. There were a lot of posters who wanted Stew to change some things, who warned about exactly what has happened, and is happening to Aggie basketball.

And then there were a few posters who, when someone criticized Stew, made the claim that those posters wanted him fired. Kinda like your post.

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » December 13th, 2015, 11:03 am

FuzzyDunlop wrote:
Not true. There were very few posters who wanted Stew fired. There were a lot of posters who wanted Stew to change some things, who warned about exactly what has happened, and is happening to Aggie basketball.

And then there were a few posters who, when someone criticized Stew, made the claim that those posters wanted him fired. Kinda like your post.
That's all it takes to be a clarion call for a firing. Just like the ridiculous same claim re Wells floating around the FB forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » December 13th, 2015, 11:26 am

dyedblue wrote:The hell it didn't. Go search the forum over the last 2-3 years.
I recommend you do that search using the word 'Weber' so you can see what it really looks like to call for a coach to be fired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Detroit-Aggie

Post by Detroit-Aggie » December 13th, 2015, 1:09 pm

troutputz wrote:...USU made a big mistake of Hiring Duryea!
We're literally like 8 games into his tenure. I don't think making calls like this are justified yet.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » December 13th, 2015, 1:14 pm

Geo-Aggie wrote:
We're literally like 8 games into his tenure. I don't think making calls like this are justified yet.
It is entirely justified, and was justified the Day he was hired. USU needed a bigger splash to reinvigorate the program. Stew's last 4 years were a downward trend and to hire Stew-lite was not what the program needed. Image, toughness, personality are all part of a hire, not just BBall coaching. It may be a little early to write off Tim on his recruiting and BBall, but USU needed an image also. That was Missed.

Perhaps Tim should find a way to light a BIG fire under his team -- like (add you own here) let me start with throwing a chair, telling the students to "quit throwing Sh$t on the court", or just throwing a fit until he gets kicked out of a game. At least people will come to watch that . . Right??!!

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » December 13th, 2015, 5:37 pm

USUBlue wrote:
Geo-Aggie wrote:
It is entirely justified, and was justified the Day he was hired. USU needed a bigger splash to reinvigorate the program. Stew's last 4 years were a downward trend and to hire Stew-lite was not what the program needed. Image, toughness, personality are all part of a hire, not just BBall coaching. It may be a little early to write off Tim on his recruiting and BBall, but USU needed an image also. That was Missed.

!!
Agree 100%. We have been on a downward slide for a few years, and decided to hire within when it was he perfect time to change our trajectory.

Look at the Huntsman School over the past 7 years; it's hard to recognize. A strategic decision was made to bring in an external Dean to dramatically change trajectories, something no internal could have done. Huntsman Hall is going to be amazing.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » December 13th, 2015, 8:25 pm

Utah brought in an outsider because the last 2 coaches were train wrecks.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » December 14th, 2015, 9:28 am

dyedblue wrote:Utah brought in an outsider because the last 2 coaches were train wrecks.
Both also outsiders. Majerus was also an outsider. Two successful outsiders, two outsider train wrecks. It's a coin flip.

Nobody here knows anything.

TheSauerkrautKid

Post by TheSauerkrautKid » December 14th, 2015, 11:19 am

troutputz wrote:I had this game as a loss because of UC IRVINE'S tall front court.
Man we are soft.

Or losing their best player two days before the season. How about we at least wait until conference play before we make a judgement on a hire? Or is that too much to ask?

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » December 14th, 2015, 1:08 pm

This team's grade thus far is incomplete and I am willing to give TD through next season before arriving at any conclusive judgment. The team has shown an ability to step up and close out a couple of close games and to beat teams they should beat. The tougher games are not indicating this team is ready to excel on multiple levels. We should be better than to be down by double digits for the majority of a half to a team like UC Irvine. By now I also expect the necessary adjustments to have been made with DC's abrupt departure. Given the last two games significant adjustments are still needed that shows to me some coaching inadequacies.

I do like the willingness to go and play Duke. Hopefully TD keeps up the effort to consistently schedule tough games across the country. I expect losses for the first couple of years, but the deficit to consistently shrink until they finally pull out a win that gives the program some confidence going forward.

Recruiting, at least on paper, appears to be significantly better than where we have been in the recent past. On the whole, the current team seems to be the inverse from Stew's typical teams, whose on-the-court results were impressive but weak on the recruiting and scheduling side. Also remember that Stew's first season ended with a record of 15-13 and 8-8 in the BWC as a coach with 12 years experience leading a program.

AggieHead

Post by AggieHead » December 14th, 2015, 4:07 pm

Yossarian wrote:Remember when USU had good basketball teams that were efficient, fun to watch, and win games?
Remember when we used to beat everyone in the Big West? Those were the good old days.

72AgGrad
RIP

Post by 72AgGrad » December 14th, 2015, 4:17 pm

AggieHead wrote:
Yossarian wrote:Remember when USU had good basketball teams that were efficient, fun to watch, and win games?
Remember when we used to beat everyone in the Big West? Those were the good old days.
Uh, no, I don't, perhaps you can correct my recollection but my recollection is that while in the BW we NEVER beat UNLV (which, to my recollection, won a national championship while a member of that conference) and to my recollection we also lost games to NMSU, UCSB, Irvine, among others. But, then, perhaps you were being sarcastic.

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » December 14th, 2015, 4:33 pm

72AgGrad wrote:
AggieHead wrote:
Uh, no, I don't, perhaps you can correct my recollection but my recollection is that while in the BW we NEVER beat UNLV (which, to my recollection, won a national championship while a member of that conference) and to my recollection we also lost games to NMSU, UCSB, Irvine, among others. But, then, perhaps you were being sarcastic.
Interesting how you remember this, but can't remember the 99-00 season when we went 16-0 in the BWC regular season, then 3-0 in the BWC Tourney to claim both the regular season and the tournament crowns?! If that didn't jog your memory, look it up: http://www.usustats.com/seasons/ If that's not the LITERAL definition of "beat[ing] everyone in the Big West" I don't know what is?!

I remember with you, Yossarian! Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying I'm not happy with the step up in competition in the MWC. But there were some very dominant years against teams like UCI. IMO, denying that we had our way with the BWC for a number of years is just an attempt to be contrary?!

AggieHead

Post by AggieHead » December 14th, 2015, 10:30 pm

ShowMeAggie wrote:
72AgGrad wrote:
AggieHead wrote:
Interesting how you remember this, but can't remember the 99-00 season when we went 16-0 in the BWC regular season, then 3-0 in the BWC Tourney to claim both the regular season and the tournament crowns?! If that didn't jog your memory, look it up: http://www.usustats.com/seasons/ If that's not the LITERAL definition of "beat[ing] everyone in the Big West" I don't know what is?!

I remember with you, Yossarian! Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying I'm not happy with the step up in competition in the MWC. But there were some very dominant years against teams like UCI. IMO, denying that we had our way with the BWC for a number of years is just an attempt to be contrary?!
Yeah, that's what I meant. It's sad that we are now a middle of the road big west team

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » December 15th, 2015, 9:38 am

Yeah, UNLV was long gone when we were at the top of the Big West. 99-00 was the start of us dominating the Big West. We would go undefeated in the league that year. But that was the only year we went undefeated in the league without at least a few losses. Even the 00-01 team dropped a few league games that year, though they were on the road. But every year after that, we would be the team with the target on our backs.

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » December 15th, 2015, 9:57 am

Yeah but that was against easy Big-West opponents like UC-Irv....err, nevermind.

Let's be honest, Stew Morrill's average recruiting finally caught up to us, especially once we joined a legit conference.

Twitter: UtahStizzle

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » December 15th, 2015, 11:24 am

UtahStizzle wrote:
Yeah but that was against easy Big-West opponents like UC-Irv....err, nevermind.

Let's be honest, Stew Morrill's average recruiting finally caught up to us, especially once we joined a legit conference.
Funny you should say that. I recall going undefeated in conference, NEVER losing at home, and kicking everyone's (I can't express myself without swearing) with Stew....yeah I guess his recruiting finally caught up to us.

72AgGrad
RIP

Post by 72AgGrad » December 15th, 2015, 2:37 pm

ShowMeAggie wrote:
72AgGrad wrote:
AggieHead wrote:

Certainly I remember the 1 season we went undefeated in the BW. I simply pointed out that you overstated your case. Perhaps you can continue to add to my recollection, but my recollection is that when we were dominating the BW, UNLV was long gone, though NMSU was still a conference mate. I sure would hate to have to play them THIS year.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » December 15th, 2015, 6:59 pm

72AgGrad wrote:
ShowMeAggie wrote:
72AgGrad wrote:
AggieHead wrote:

Certainly I remember the 1 season we went undefeated in the BW. I simply pointed out that you overstated your case. Perhaps you can continue to add to my recollection, but my recollection is that when we were dominating the BW, UNLV was long gone, though NMSU was still a conference mate. I sure would hate to have to play them THIS year.
We beat UNLV in 93-94, 94-95, and 95-96 while they were members of the Big West Conference.

http://www.usustats.com/opponents/UNLV

72AgGrad
RIP

Post by 72AgGrad » December 15th, 2015, 8:08 pm

treesap32 wrote:
72AgGrad wrote:
ShowMeAggie wrote:
72AgGrad wrote:
AggieHead wrote:

We beat UNLV in 93-94, 94-95, and 95-96 while they were members of the Big West Conference.

http://www.usustats.com/opponents/UNLV
Very well. My recollection is refreshed and corrected.

Locked Previous topicNext topic