All across our Nation........

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
troutputz

All across our Nation........

Post by troutputz » February 17th, 2016, 6:29 pm

Basketball attendance is at its lowest level since the early 70's!

Especially in the West, the only schools that draw a fairly good crowd are Arizona, Gonzaga, Utah State, San Diego State, Byu, and now Utah . And even then even at these schools they are only selling out 1 or 2 game a year. WHY? IMO, it is because the NCAA has ruined the regular season, and made the tournaments in March as the only thing people care about, for good reason because of the reward for winning a 2 or 3, and some cases a 4 day tournament. Instead of having the conference regular season winner relegated to the NIT if they lose the 3 day tournament, they should have the regular season champ automatic NCAA qualifier.
I don't know how it is going to be fixed but somehow the NCAA needs to make every college basketball game in the season as important as every college football game is in the season. We hang on the edge of our seats each week in college football, but in basketball, its Meh! So what, maybe we will go to the game if we have time, or we will go to the game because chicks will be there and guys will be there and friends will be there, etc., etc,.!

The point is even my own sons have lost interest in College Basketball. Even my traitor son that is going to the EWE only makes it to about 2 games a year. Even with Rod Tueller's mediocre teams of the 80's, I never missed a game from 1985 to 1989. We came up with the Tark masks. We came up with the Toilet paper Toss, we came up with rushing and running down the steps to get the first 10 rows of seats when they opened the student doors. We razzed the refs Big Time, before, during and after the game. We were the ones to dress nicely and wear suits and ties for the last game of the year when we graduated. Wish the Seniors would do that each year. Have the guys wear suits and the gals wear their Best if they are seniors and this will be their last game to go to in the Spectrum as a Student! Yep! Rowdiness started with the mid 80's in the Spectrum. Hell, I wasn't even your typical 19 to 23 year old either. I was 30 when I went back to school and graduated when I was 34! I fit right in with the 20 year olds! they loved my wife's Pizza that she would bring me and them occasionally. Those were the days my friends we thought they would never end.............wish the wouldn't have......I loved being a student and living at West Stadium Villa(across from the football stadium) with a wife and 4 kids when we came there at age 30 and when we left we had 2 more kids for a total of 6 kids at age 34! Those were our happiest days so far in our marriage!

Blitz79

Re: All across our Nation........

Post by Blitz79 » February 17th, 2016, 6:32 pm

TV. Money.

troutputz

Post by troutputz » February 17th, 2016, 6:34 pm

Yes, but football has more TV and they still sell out most games, not USU yet, but who knows. IMPO this country just likes football better now, more than BBALL!

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » February 17th, 2016, 6:56 pm

A lot of it comes down to price and what you get for it. Going to the game used to be the only way to see a lot of them. If you go back to even 2010-11 only about half of our games were televised and a few of the games on TV were being filmed with crisco covered cameras. If you wanted to see the Aggies play you had to go to the game or in a few cases watch a blurry camera or an even worse internet stream. Now days you can watch every game in crystal clear HD either on TV or streaming online. It's easy, it's convenient and it really offers some advantages over being at the game. In addition to that, ticket prices have never been higher. People don't want to pay that much money when the alternative is so much cheaper and in some instances better. I love being in the Spectrum (especially with a packed house) but for the more casual fans they'd rather watch on their couch until the arena experience can provide them something they don't get at home.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » February 17th, 2016, 7:51 pm

I wouldn't know USU had good attendence by looking at the crowd of the CSU game. Student section is 25% full. Of course we count tickets sold instead of butts in the seats.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » February 17th, 2016, 8:50 pm

utaggies wrote:I wouldn't know USU had good attendence by looking at the crowd of the CSU game. Student section is 25% full. Of course we count tickets sold instead of butts in the seats.
It's good compared to what a lot of schools are seeing. I've watched several UNLV games this year with a half empty lower bowl and completely empty upper bowl. SDSU and UNM are the only 2 teams in the league that look to have good attendance when you watch on TV.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » February 17th, 2016, 9:21 pm

It was more than 50% full

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » February 17th, 2016, 9:52 pm

Most people don't like watching a glorified free throw shooting contest.

bpd
Has thanked: 0

Post by bpd » February 17th, 2016, 9:57 pm

A couple things. New Mexico is having a really hard time getting students to games.
I don't think games are a free throw contest this year, though some have been. Scoring is up this year and it is faster paced. A lot has to do with the current generation.

USU73
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by USU73 » February 17th, 2016, 10:12 pm

I was lucky saw the last season in the Field House and the first game in the Spectrum against Ohio State and Jim Clemons. I think I was blessed with good timing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » February 17th, 2016, 10:33 pm

Tv, ticket prices, emphasis in tourney, too many free throws, and the shot clock (which kills a slow paced team) are all factors.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

utaggies

Post by utaggies » February 17th, 2016, 10:45 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:It was more than 50% full

Not even close to 50%. But I'll give props to the students that were there for their enthusiasm.

I've got to say, however, I witnessed the lamest halftime entertainment ever with the guy who tells folks how many letters there are in a phrase they come up with. Absolutely unbelievable. :oops:

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » February 17th, 2016, 11:35 pm

utaggies wrote:

Not even close to 50%. But I'll give props to the students that were there for their enthusiasm.

I've got to say, however, I witnessed the lamest halftime entertainment ever with the guy who tells folks how many letters there are in a phrase they come up with. Absolutely unbelievable. :oops:
They did that again? They had the same halftime entertainment earlier this year...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

stu
Been thanked: 0

Post by stu » February 17th, 2016, 11:47 pm

I was able to attend the USU v CSU game tonight - first one in quite some time as I've lived far away from Logan since 2007. It was the first non Gossner game I've attended since then.

First impression when I walked in: Wow, there's no one here. I arrived as starting lineups were being announced. Crowd filled in a little bit more as time went on, but that's the first non Gossner game I've ever been to where the regular ticket buyers had a better showing than the students. I attended USU in early to mid 90's, then stuck around Logan working while wife went to school and took advantage of spouse athletic cards. I don't think I missed a home basketball game from 1993 to 2002, to give some perspective of what my previous experience was. I will give them credit for being into the game, the noise level, etc. Atmosphere was still pretty decent despite the smaller numbers.

Other impressions: New scoreboards and video screen was impressive, far superior to anything I experienced before. The Churros are gigantic! :rock: The lineup change seems to have helped Elston Jones. I don't think he's played any better two game set than the last two. Granted, the bar isn't high, but I was impressed with what he did when he got a chance tonight. Love Jalen at the 3. Really good move I think to more consistently create mismatches in our favor. Why isn't Rector more aggressive? It sure seems like a few times a game he decides he's going to look to get to the basket and pretty much does at will. But he seems pretty passive most of the time. Was really cool to see some of the former players at the game, like Jardine (dude's yoked now), Spencer Nelson (did the air drums with his boys), and Sean Harris.

Last note: Went to Village Inn with niece after game. The Moore's and friends were there as well apparently celebrating the 1000 points milestone by Jalen. Viko and Lew Evans came too. Got to talk with Jimmy (and group) very briefly, congratulated them, and let them know they made my Christmas present from my wife (why I was in attendance) even better! He was very gracious, seems like a great guy!

Hope the team can keep playing like they have done the last two! Go Aggies!!

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » February 18th, 2016, 10:00 am

Our halftime shows this year have been worthy of someone losing their job. Absolutely horrible.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » February 18th, 2016, 3:04 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
utaggies wrote:

They did that again? They had the same halftime entertainment earlier this year...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
The talent show halftime events this year have been so, so, hard to watch. I hope they never do that again.

IdaAg93

Post by IdaAg93 » February 18th, 2016, 4:52 pm

I was there last night. Student section was 1/2 full. Stadium was 2/3 full and was a great game to watch. Need to win more games to get people there. This team is finally playing to their potential, hopefully it'll launch to a better record next year and attendance will rise.

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » February 18th, 2016, 5:06 pm

I hope they can make a wave in the conference tourney.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » February 18th, 2016, 10:26 pm

NVAggie wrote:I hope they can make a wave in the conference tourney.
Will we have enough fans there to make a wave?

corio

Post by corio » February 18th, 2016, 11:49 pm

treesap32 wrote:
NVAggie wrote:I hope they can make a wave in the conference tourney.
Will we have enough fans there to make a wave?

Good point. I now think the dwindling numbers are for the best.

bullshot

Post by bullshot » February 19th, 2016, 5:13 am

To make the regular season more meaningful, the conference tounaments should contain a maximum of 8 teams, playing 3 nights in a row through the finals. That would help some. That virtually eliminate the bottom dwellers from getting to the dance.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » February 19th, 2016, 8:21 am

bullshot wrote:To make the regular season more meaningful, the conference tounaments should contain a maximum of 8 teams, playing 3 nights in a row through the finals. That would help some. That virtually eliminate the bottom dwellers from getting to the dance.
This is what the Mountain West is doing next year and I think it's a terrible idea. It seems that most of the coaches in the league agree.

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » February 19th, 2016, 8:43 am

I guess we need to see if the excitement for the tournament has gone done as well. That would tell us if it is due to the regular season not meaning anything.

Locked Previous topicNext topic