USU, BYU, Utah, and Weber Tourney in SLC?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » May 26th, 2016, 9:12 pm

Follow

Scott Garrard
‏@ScottyG1280
At USU event in Sandy, USU coach Tim Duryea said USU, Utah, BYU, and Weber St AD's are working towards a bball event for '17 at Vivent Arena

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Re: USU, BYU, Utah, and Weber Tourney in SLC?

Post by ProvoAggie » May 26th, 2016, 9:26 pm

Duryea mentioned it briefly and Hartwell talked about it again at the end for a little while. The AD's of all 4 schools have met with the Larry MIller Group and will be meeting with them again soon to see if they can get something worked out. It doesn't sound like it would be an exempt tournament.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » May 26th, 2016, 9:55 pm

Might not be exempt, but this is a great thing. All 4 are in different conferences so wouldn't impact that. Crowds would be huge.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » May 26th, 2016, 10:05 pm

This would be cool. Huge fan of this idea at the moment.

Not sent from Tapatalk

noods
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by noods » May 26th, 2016, 10:07 pm

I'm confused. Didn't Duryea just say we'll never play BYU at a neutral site again? Or would this mean that we still have home/home each year with BYU, Weber, Utah? and then this is a separate event where we would play one of them a second time?

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » May 26th, 2016, 10:09 pm

noods wrote:I'm confused. Didn't Duryea just say we'll never play BYU at a neutral site again? Or would this mean that we still have home/home each year with BYU, Weber, Utah? and then this is a separate event where we would play one of them a second time?
I'm confused as well.

I've never liked the idea of Utah-based schools with great arenas and great home courts on campus playing each other in a rented arena. Makes no sense to me, count me out.

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

USUaggie

Post by USUaggie » May 26th, 2016, 10:15 pm

Bad idea. Home & home.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » May 26th, 2016, 10:21 pm

It sounds like the event will simply be a double header. Each team will play 1 other team each year and over a 3 year period you will play each other team once. Hopefully this will be in addition to the home and home that we have with both Weber and BYU.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » May 26th, 2016, 11:28 pm

Unless we keep home and home I hate this idea. We all know why Utah wants this tourney.

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » May 27th, 2016, 1:05 am

Terrible idea.

Fewer fans will get to see the games. Only 5000 seats per school if Vivint seating divided evenly. Probably less than that.

Then, USU playing Utah, BYU, and Weber only once every 3 years, instead of every year.

I'm sick of the Ute cowards pushing this idea. Duryea should say no to this dumb idea.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 27th, 2016, 7:56 am

Let's wait and see. I think we might keep our home and home with Weber and byu

Full

Post by Full » May 27th, 2016, 8:32 am

I don't like it and I don't understand it in light of other agreements. I hope USU plays BYU and Weber home and home in the future. Why have a second game against an in-state opponent in SLC just to get a "neutral" court game 15 minutes away from the Utes home court. I saw just yesterday that BYU will play Utah home and home every year but 2016, and they have been playing home and home (or home/home/neutral) games with USU and Weber State for a long time. The only way this makes sense is if it is to appease the almighty PAC-12 team from Utah.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » May 27th, 2016, 8:47 am

This "tourney" would be the equivalent of bending over and kissing krystkowiak's messy butthole. HATE it.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » May 27th, 2016, 9:04 am

I could handle this is we still had our home and home with Weber and the one true team.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » May 27th, 2016, 9:12 am

I would be more interested if it was a tournament with all teams playing each other - even then not sure I would like it, but just playing one team each year seems silly. I would like to see home and home with each of those teams, but if we can't get that I don't care to play them. I don't mind playing away only or neutral site games but only with big market, big NCAA impact teams like Duke, Kansas, Michigan State, Arizona, Gonzaga, North Carolina, etc

pablohoney

Post by pablohoney » May 27th, 2016, 9:19 am

This should only happen if the on campus games also continue and the Utes aren't invited. Invite UVCC instead.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » May 27th, 2016, 9:27 am

Didn't know it was just a doubleheader. It needs to be formatted like the Gossner for it to work.

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

pablohoney

Post by pablohoney » May 27th, 2016, 9:39 am

Jjoey52 wrote:Didn't know it was just a doubleheader. It needs to be formatted like the Gossner for it to work.

If it's formatted like the Gossner then you'd never get all to agree because it would prohibit entry into other preseason tournaments, if I understand the rules correctly.

bigwilly087

Post by bigwilly087 » May 27th, 2016, 9:51 am

pablohoney wrote:
Jjoey52 wrote:Didn't know it was just a doubleheader. It needs to be formatted like the Gossner for it to work.

If it's formatted like the Gossner then you'd never get all to agree because it would prohibit entry into other preseason tournaments, if I understand the rules correctly.
I don't think it would prohibit entry to other tournaments, but it wouldn't be an "exempt" event, which means each game would count toward's the team's limit, whereas an "exempt" event counts as one game no matter how many games you play. Can't see anyone using 3 games on a neutral site event.

aggies1
Pick'em Champ - '20 BB Predict The Score & '20 FB Bowl

Post by aggies1 » May 27th, 2016, 11:08 am

I don't like it. However, if we were to team up with Weber, BYU and Utah to form a tournament and bring in 1 Acc, 1 BIG, 1 Big xII, 1 SEC team, then I would be all for it. We could even play a round robin type tournament where we each play 3 of the other 4 schools brought in or make it a true championship tournament and make it an exempt tournament. Now, that would be a reason I could be for it.

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » May 27th, 2016, 11:23 am

aggies1 wrote:I don't like it. However, if we were to team up with Weber, BYU and Utah to form a tournament and bring in 1 Acc, 1 BIG, 1 Big xII, 1 SEC team, then I would be all for it. We could even play a round robin type tournament where we each play 3 of the other 4 schools brought in or make it a true championship tournament and make it an exempt tournament. Now, that would be a reason I could be for it.

Make it an exempt tournament as a state challenge, presented by State Farm Insurance. USU, BYU, Weber, Utah vs 4 from a different state each year. First year: The state of Utah vs. the state of Washington:
G1- Utah vs. Gonzaga
G2- Weber St vs. Washington St
other side of bracket
G3- BYU vs. Eastern Washington
G4- USU vs. Washington

wsucatfan
Has thanked: 0

Post by wsucatfan » May 27th, 2016, 11:28 am

aggiesdotcom wrote:
aggies1 wrote:I don't like it. However, if we were to team up with Weber, BYU and Utah to form a tournament and bring in 1 Acc, 1 BIG, 1 Big xII, 1 SEC team, then I would be all for it. We could even play a round robin type tournament where we each play 3 of the other 4 schools brought in or make it a true championship tournament and make it an exempt tournament. Now, that would be a reason I could be for it.

Make it an exempt tournament as a state challenge, presented by State Farm Insurance. USU, BYU, Weber, Utah vs 4 from a different state each year. First year: The state of Utah vs. the state of Washington:
G1- Utah vs. Gonzaga
G2- Weber St vs. Washington St
other side of bracket
G3- BYU vs. Eastern Washington
G4- USU vs. Washington
I like that idea... :golfclap:

bleu

Post by bleu » May 27th, 2016, 4:49 pm

While I do agree that it would be stupid for USU to agree to this, especially in lieu of a home-and-home, and it would have far more negatives than positives, the college basketball fanatic in me thinks going to a tournament like this in a large arena surrounded by Aggie fans and fans of the other schools would be an absolute blast.

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » May 27th, 2016, 8:39 pm

What a joke. Of course Krysko will try and skew the whole thing to be in their favor. No surprises here! Really can't stand the stuck up school on the hill. I say we leave the U out of it completely. Or just don't agree to this weird in state thing at all. Lame!

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » May 27th, 2016, 10:09 pm

Bad, bad idea that we should want no part of. We get home and home with BYU, Weber, SUU, and UVU. Why would we play there?

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » May 28th, 2016, 12:08 pm

I'm fine with it as long as we still keep our other home and home agreements in place and this is considered an extra game

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Locked Previous topicNext topic